DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 02-01-2013, 03:55 AM
Renegade

Default Beyonce lip syncing

Beyonce defended her lip synced performance at the presidential inauguration ceremony (no political comments PLEASE).

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...201-2dofr.html

Personally, I find this smacks of good (risk averse) business over sincerity. Then she talks about being proud of her performance. I wouldn't be.

Soundcloud stream
Old 02-01-2013, 04:12 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Beyonce lip syncing

Agreed Pol.

There is a point where we redefine ourselves from artist to business person....a fine line to walk...and lip synching clearly crosses it.

...along with skimpy garb taking precidence to the music you make...I cant tell you how many bikini drumming photo shoots I have to turn down to keep my integrity intact! (actually I think its the fear of waxing that keeps that in check ; )
Old 02-01-2013, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

I love this clip. It's not lip syncing, but it blows open obnoxious band-syncing:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1khy9...%3D1khy9_E4h44

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

I tried for several mins to make a reply that wasn't political.
Here is my nonpolitical reply;

~ "This Page Intentionally left blank" ~

Thank You!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:26 AM
Administrator

I don't remember the year but the super Bowl was held here in Tampa Florida, and because of the hoopla and the big performance, both Whitney Houston and the Florida Orchestra played, lip-synced to prerecorded National Anthem. so Beyonce was not the first.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:45 AM

All things considered, I think the music business owes Milli Vanilli a huge apology. They were freaking pioneers!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member

I've never understood why lip-syncing is such a big deal. Performers augment their sound with all kinds of technology, add loops of pre-recorded performances, etc. They have their vocals tuned on the recordings, the drum parts quantized and half the bands replace members with session "ghost" players who don't get credit on the albums.

And this is not new! The Monkees were a manufactured act that couldn't even play any instruments when they released their first "album."

But Milli Vanilli gets ridiculed to the point where their careers end and one of the guy winds up killing himself over it? Really?

Beyonce has a great set of pipes. Why all the focus on her?

Baffles me. People are crazy.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipshotPercussion View Post
All things considered, I think the music business owes Milli Vanilli a huge apology. They were freaking pioneers!
This is funny. ironic funny. I remember the furore.

Not sure how I feel about this, Grea. Anything billed as live should be just that, otherwise its a scam.
On the flip side, we know the music business beyond a certain dollar threshold becomes more business product and less music. She laid out a slew of excuses.. unrehearsed, no sound check,etc etc...... and sang for the press instead to prove she could sing. Of course she can sing! Feeling a little guilt , I guess.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:26 AM
Platinum Member

Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Renegade

I just wondered about why I started this thread - it's a judgemental and negative premise, something I usually try to avoid (?). I suspect it's leftover resentment at my gym - which never plays music with a real drummer. I see it as a deliberate rejection of organic music which seems to have induced a little old lady panic.

Music's going the way of the manufacturing industry. More and more humans replaced by machines. So much of the art of the sculptor and craftsmen and women was superseded by mechanisation.

// end middle aged angst

Great point about Milli Vanilli. Seems the producer who hired the dancers to front the, um, enterprise, did just fine afterwards while the two guys wore all the flak. SNAFU

Her excuse says a lot - "I did not have time to rehearse with the orchestra" ... for a huge gig that absolutely had to be done perfectly. Dat's business, eh? A lot of pro sport doesn't look very sporting either - like Azarenka's questionable injury time out a few days ago.

Soundcloud stream
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

During the last inauguration, Yo-Yo Ma played along to a pre-recorded piece because it was below freezing and there was concern that his cello wouldn't stay in tune and his fingers wouldn't be able to pull it off. It looked like he was playing and he was all pro about it, smiling and the whole bit ... I don't think I had much of an opinion on that at the time, other than maybe they shouldn't have asked him to play if he wasn't actually going to be able to play.

I must admit to feeling a little duped watching someone like Whitney or Beyonce belting it out only to find out that what I'm seeing isn't what I'm hearing. I know it's really them singing and they're great and all that, but it's not live and there's just something about it that doesn't sit right, like what's being heard isn't at all reflecting the energy surrounding the event, whether that be an inauguration or any live performance. I want whatever warts may come - pros can handle that.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I've never understood why lip-syncing is such a big deal. Performers augment their sound with all kinds of technology, add loops of pre-recorded performances, etc. They have their vocals tuned on the recordings, the drum parts quantized and half the bands replace members with session "ghost" players who don't get credit on the albums.

And this is not new! The Monkees were a manufactured act that couldn't even play any instruments when they released their first "album."

But Milli Vanilli gets ridiculed to the point where their careers end and one of the guy winds up killing himself over it? Really?

Beyonce has a great set of pipes. Why all the focus on her?

Baffles me. People are crazy.
+1.

Absolutely.

Im not a fan of Beyondsay, but if were dissing lip-syncers, shes just one in a looooooooooong line. And I never hear anybody complain about lip syncing in music videos.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Just another example of the demise of music today. What is everyone is the music biz afraid of? Perfection is boring. Everyone knows a lip sync when the see and hear one.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipshotPercussion View Post
The real difference is that they weren't even lip-synching to their own vocals! At least Beyonce, Britney, etc actually 'sing' to their own vocals.

Bermuda
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
What is everyone is the music biz afraid of?
Tabloids. Social media. Paparazzi. Failing. The next rising star. And on and on.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The real difference is that they weren't even lip-synching to their own vocals!
See, I dont even really care about that. For this sort of discussion, were talking about entertainers, not musicians per se. If Chic Corea faked it at a live show, Id be disappointed. If Brittney actually sang live at a live show, Id be gobsmacked.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The real difference is that they weren't even lip-synching to their own vocals! At least Beyonce, Britney, etc actually 'sing' to their own vocals.

Bermuda
That's the way I look at it... If someone is a bad/mediocre singer that can't pull off live OR in the studio without tricks and gadgets, it gets on my nerves. If someone is a killer singer, but chooses to pre-record for big performances, I don't really mind. That's not about talent to me.

Just my thoughts...
Old 02-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

I still think it's dumb. I'd rather perform poorly and be real than be a big fat phony in public. Some nights I may have wished I was just faking it, as I've definitely had bad shows... But you know, the whole artistic integrity thing gets in the way.

Fake playing to my own drumming would be just as fake... Maybe a touch less pathetic, but definitely still pathetic.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 AM

much ado over nothing, imo. it makes sense to do this when you're not a very good singer.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:35 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduin View Post
See, I dont even really care about that. For this sort of discussion, were talking about entertainers, not musicians per se. If Chic Corea faked it at a live show, Id be disappointed. If Brittney actually sang live at a live show, Id be gobsmacked.
I think you pretty well nailed it.

I think the Beyonce mime was more newsworthy because of the scale of the event and she has a strong rep as a vocalist.

As for music videos, the best of them don't bother pretending that they're actually playing - it's more like they use the visuals of a musical performance as the basis for abstract video art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErU5hKT2KMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XVWR-5fiG0

Soundcloud stream
Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduin View Post
Having heard Britney sing live at show (her mic was on and she didn't know it), I think your gobsmacking would switch to disappointment in no time.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Didn't see it, don't want to. Will just say it's not surprising.

Add it to the already existing pile of American entertainment sewage that is popular.

Represents the people at large and their inability to understand, tolerate or discern what is good on their own. The power of all the people on Madison Ave have shoved this trash so far down their throats that they actually believe it's good.

I could keep going but I'll end here.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

I was forced to watch the SB halftime show. I don't like a music genre that is 90% dance / 10% singing / 0% musicians playing instruments.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 PM

Lip syncing is an attempt to defeat Murphy's Law ("Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"). At a major event such as the Super Bowl or an inauguration, you don't leave anything to chance. We live in a pre-recorded society these days where everyone expects perfection, so lip syncing shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

..and honestly, half the bands I hear SHOULD be lip syncing.

and p.s., Yo Yo Ma faked his cello performance in 2009 at the inauguration ceremony. So yes, even great musicians do it.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Beyonce has a great set of pipes...
. . .
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I don't remember the year but the super Bowl was held here in Tampa Florida, and because of the hoopla and the big performance, both Whitney Houston and the Florida Orchestra played, lip-synced to prerecorded National Anthem. so Beyonce was not the first.
It's become NORMAL for these events, where you have NO time to setup and NO time to make sure everything is working. The show must go ON.

Sad how it's become but it's true. The only item live, typically, in these settings, is the main performer's mic. And that's if he/she wants to even sing or not.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
I was forced to watch the SB halftime show. I don't like a music genre that is 90% dance / 10% singing / 0% musicians playing instruments.
They showed her guitarist, with sparklers shooting out of both ends of her guitar. Must be a pain to tune...

and the .005 seconds they showed Cora Coleman-Dunham playing drums. I think it's who it was, it looked like her. for .005 seconds it could've been me up there...

That show was all about lights, pyro, and hot dancing girls. And Destiny's Child. The verdict is still out on whether or not ANY music was performed that night...