DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Fighting some kind of flu, I think. Dry cough that rattles the fillings in my teeth and takes me to the brink of vomiting, aches and pains and alternating hot/cold flashes. Last night I slept under a pile of blankets and still shivered uncontrollably. Staying home sick today. Ibuprofen seem to have helped.
Having relatives from Detroit I know winters there can be wicked. Try this product. It works, is safe and won't eat up your innards :)

http://www.oscillo.com/
Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Why do all Romans in the movies have British accents.?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:56 PM
Renegade

A funny line in a newspaper article today about a boxing match: "A packed out venue filled with politicians, footballers, TV celebrities and other underworld figures".

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Does anyone know who played drums on the studio recording of Englebert Humperdinck's 1976 hit "After the Lovin" ? I don't have the album, it may be on the credits on the sleeve. But can't find anything on the internet.. I played this and a couple other tunes on a gig so far last July. Just wondering. Nice easy song to play to. Catchy.

I know I know, there are waaay more important things to worry about :)
I wish I knew because the correct answer may surprise us. I remember finding out
that the master of jazz-fusion/crazy chops Dave Weckl played on the syrupy "sea of love' with Robert Plant in a band called the Honeydrippers.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
A 15-year-old is suing the Icelandic state for the right to legally use the name given to her by her mother. The problem? Blaer, which means "light breeze" in Icelandic, is not on a list approved by the government.
Like a handful of other countries, including Germany and Denmark, Iceland has official rules about what a baby can be named. In a country comfortable with a firm state role, most people don't question the Personal Names Register, a list of 1,712 male names and 1,853 female names that fit Icelandic grammar and pronunciation rules and that officials maintain will protect children from embarrassment. Parents can take from the list or apply to a special committee that has the power to say yea or nay.

Really, and people want to talk about Gun Control. What is up with this? Is this from the year 1200?
Update;

A 15-year-old Icelandic girl has been granted the right to legally use the name given to her by her mother, despite the opposition of authorities.
A court ruled Thursday that the name "Blaer" can be used. It means "gentle breeze."
The decision overturns an earlier rejection by Icelandic authorities who declared it was not a proper feminine name. Until now, Blaer Bjarkardottir had been identified simply as "Girl" in communications with officials.
Like a handful of other countries, including Germany and Denmark, Iceland has official rules about what a baby can be named. Names are supposed to fit Icelandic grammar and pronunciation rules.
Her mother, Bjork Eidsdottir, had fought for the right for the name to be recognized. Blaer told the court she had no problems with her name.
__
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
A funny line in a newspaper article today about a boxing match: "A packed out venue filled with politicians, footballers, TV celebrities and other underworld figures".
This is so wonderful. I'm stealing it for my blog.

Thanks, Anon.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:03 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Newly discovered by me from reading on the 'net...20 mule team borax goes a long way into relieving arthritis, some say it cures it. Aso I understand that Borax is banned or illegal in the EU? Is this true? Seriously? It also helps to chelate heavy metals including fluoride from your body. It has about the same toxicity as salt, less actually. I have been consuming 1/4 tsp in a litre of water for a few days now, I'll let you know if it does anything. If you have arthritis, google Borax and arthritis and read for yourself.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Newly discovered by me from reading on the 'net...20 mule team borax goes a long way into relieving arthritis, some say it cures it. Aso I understand that Borax is banned or illegal in the EU? Is this true? Seriously? It also helps to chelate heavy metals including fluoride from your body. It has about the same toxicity as salt, less actually. I have been consuming 1/4 tsp in a litre of water for a few days now, I'll let you know if it does anything. If you have arthritis, google Borax and arthritis and read for yourself.
Isn't Borax a brand of soap?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Why do all Romans in the movies have British accents.?
The benefits of a Classical education, of course!

Alas I fear that I might be one of the last to go to a state school and had such an education.

That and we're very good at portraying Imperialists.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Isn't Borax a brand of soap?
Gotta be better than Anthrax.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Borax is sold as a laundry product. It's not soap. It is literally scraped off the ground from dried lake beds in California and Turkey among other places. It is a naturally occurring mineral, boron, that is essential to our health. Any food grown with fertilizer...fertilizer inhibits the natural uptake of boron from the soil to the plant, and as a result, there is quite a bit of boron deficiency in our diets. What a stupid cheap and simple way to put essential boron back into our diets. I can't even taste it when I add it to water. It also takes fluoride (along with heavy metals) out of your body, and despite what your government tells you, fluoride taken internally is not good for your health at all, and the worst way to get it to your teeth. Fluoride is good for teeth applied right on the tooth, but taken internally is detrimental to your system. The more fluoride you have in your body, the more it leaches mercury from dental work into your system. But that's not the only downside to fluoride taken internally.

For more about fluoride, watch this great documentary, over an hour long, about the dangers of fluoride called Flouridegate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpw5fGt4UvI
Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 PM
Renegade

@ Larry - Food sources of boron: http://www.algaecal.com/boron/boron-sources.html

I'll be using Borax and honey as ant bait if their takeover bid continues.

@ Grunt - Brit accents are used to add an exotic atmosphere of foreignness to the films :)

@ Grunt, all countries have rules about baby names. Try to name a child Shitball Shithead Shitburger the III and see how far you get. No nation is free - they just draw the lines in different places.

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
@ Larry - Food sources of boron: http://www.algaecal.com/boron/boron-sources.html
Avocado! I knew that stuff had to be amazing. One of my favorite foods.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Borax is sold as a laundry product. It's not soap. It is literally scraped off the ground from dried lake beds in California and Turkey among other places. It is a naturally occurring mineral, boron, that is essential to our health. Any food grown with fertilizer...fertilizer inhibits the natural uptake of boron from the soil to the plant, and as a result, there is quite a bit of boron deficiency in our diets. What a stupid cheap and simple way to put essential boron back into our diets. I can't even taste it when I add it to water. It also takes fluoride (along with heavy metals) out of your body, and despite what your government tells you, fluoride taken internally is not good for your health at all, and the worst way to get it to your teeth. Fluoride is good for teeth applied right on the tooth, but taken internally is detrimental to your system. The more fluoride you have in your body, the more it leaches mercury from dental work into your system. But that's not the only downside to fluoride taken internally.

For more about fluoride, watch this great documentary, over an hour long, about the dangers of fluoride called Flouridegate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpw5fGt4UvI

Yes Larry. Totally correct. Outrageous in that most American cities have mandatory fluoride (toxic waste) in the water supply. You have no choice but to accept this poison. Friggen ridiculous. not to mention the allowable levels of arsenic and pharmaceutical waste. Filtration cannot take out fluoride either. Best option is spring water. Government is so clueless. Fluroide has never been proven to prevent tooth decay. Actually it's the opposite. Try Peelu or Jason natural toothpastes.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Yes Larry. Totally correct. Outrageous in that most American cities have mandatory fluoride (toxic waste) in the water supply. You have no choice but to accept this poison. Friggen ridiculous. not to mention the allowable levels of arsenic and pharmaceutical waste. Filtration cannot take out fluoride either. Best option is spring water. Government is so clueless. Fluroide has never been proven to prevent tooth decay. Actually it's the opposite. Try Peelu or Jason natural toothpastes.
Sorry mate.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5014a1.htm
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
all countries have rules about baby names. Try to name a child Shitball Shithead Shitburger the III and see how far you get. No nation is free - they just draw the lines in different places.
I'm just imagining the church Christening service with the relatives gathered around the font. "And I name this child ---- ") Too funny!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Avocado! I knew that stuff had to be amazing. One of my favorite foods.
I'm a fan too. That list covers a large percentage of my diet because I eat much less meat than most westerners.

Since fluoride was put in the water tooth decay has reduced markedly. An ex partner had a big issue about fluoride in the water, that it somehow softened us up for mind control by the powers that be. Uh huh. And the moon landing was falsified and we're covering up evidence of Bigfoot and aliens at Roswell (who were apparently members of the Planet Express crew). While we little people lap up a lot of BS fed to us, we also manage to generate a fair bit of BS of our own.

Yes, Andy, that christening would actually be worth attending!

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

I &%*$ing hate avocado. I'm a vegetarian and I'm grumpy.

Correlation? Most likely.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I &%*$ing hate avocado. I'm a vegetarian and I'm grumpy.

Correlation? Most likely.
That's interesting. I flatted with a strict vegetarian for years and he was grumpy.

However, I suspect the most likely correlation is that people become vegetarian because they are grumpy people - and one thing they get grumpy about is humanity's thoughtless cruelty to animals and damage to our environs.

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Since fluoride was put in the water tooth decay has reduced markedly. An ex partner had a big issue about fluoride in the water, that it somehow softened us up for mind control by the powers that be.
I don't like it. A few of my thoughts:

1) It's already in toothpaste that gets applied to my teeth directly; in such levels that there are poison control center warnings about swallowing too much. It's also in the mouth-rinse that's used afterward. Why then, do I still need the government to put it in my body through my digestive tract?

2) I just plain don't want the government deciding that putting chemicals in the public water supply "for our own good" is something they should do, or have the power to do. This goes double for known toxic chemicals, like fluoride. I admit to being paranoid and negative most of the time, but I really don't like this precedent.

3) I love how they care so much about everyone's teeth, yet can't be bothered with the major epidemics actually killing Americans. And again, I don't want them deciding that a certain type of fat is bad for me and banning it, I want them to make real efforts at educating people about choices and effects. Instead of putting chemicals in the water supply, if they care than much about my teeth, give us freaking health and dental care for the half pay-check they take every two weeks.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

That or the lack of tea.

The only reason I originally became vegetarian was because of what I considered a faceless industrial process. I've helped out on farms before and have caught fish, etc but the majority of the meat available to us - whilst audited - lies behind a set of processes. I'm not saying that the processes are inherently inhumane or that farmers have anything to answer for; in fact I know that farmers work incredibly hard in difficult circumstances (one of my Aunts is a farmer) but I want to be directly involved in that process.

I remember finding a shop near Lancaster where you could buy sausages in the shop and see the same pigs (Gloucester Old Spots) around the back. I liked that a lot and it was my subsequent realisation of the industry of it all that made me a vegetarian.

Now, I just don't like the idea of eating it. Completely gone off it. No desire whatsoever.

I wouldn't for a second try to persuade others toward my point of view. That's up to them. I don't get upset when people cook meat around me and I have cooked meat for others. The only thing I ask is that they use separate implements to cook the meat from those that are being used to cook my food and not cross-contaminate - which is good practice in a kitchen anyway.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's interesting. I flatted with a strict vegetarian for years and he was grumpy.

However, I suspect the most likely correlation is that people become vegetarian because they are grumpy people - and one thing they get grumpy about is humanity's thoughtless cruelty to animals and damage to our environs.
I was grumpy long before I went veggie. If anything, I feel calmer and more affable since I stopped eating animal flesh for every meal of every day.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The only reason I originally became vegetarian was because of what I considered a faceless industrial process. I've helped out on farms before and have caught fish, etc but the majority of the meat available to us - whilst audited - lies behind a set of processes. I'm not saying that the processes are inherently inhumane or that farmers have anything to answer for; in fact I know that farmers work incredibly hard in difficult circumstances (one of my Aunts is a farmer) but I want to be directly involved in that process.
This is a part of it for me... A few years back I really started to think about the american/western diet. The more I thought, the more it seemed clear that what we're doing isn't right. I don't believe that human beings are meant to eat this much animal flesh. If it weren't for the endless (utterly in-efficient) cycle of the meat industry, there simply wouldn't be an easy way to eat this stuff for every meal of every day, in huge quantities, until we feel "full".

When I pair this introspective with how much better I feel after a meal now, I just can't go back. I never feel bloated or sluggish, and frankly, the rest of the post-stomach digestive process improved more than I care to say in detail. As you say, the appeal has been lost to me, I just don't want to eat meat anymore.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I'll be using Borax and honey as ant bait if their takeover bid continues.

@ Grunt - Brit accents are used to add an exotic atmosphere of foreignness to the films :)

@ Grunt, all countries have rules about baby names. Try to name a child Shitball Shithead Shitburger the III and see how far you get. No nation is free - they just draw the lines in different places.
there may be some names that will cause a stir but we don't have an approved list!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Watso, I definitely haven't lost any weight though as a result of the vegetarian diet. I'm still enormous and lethargic! Can't have it all, I suppose.

It does make for a funny conversation piece though. I meet someone, we go out for dinner, I tell them I'm a vegetarian and they almost always say:

'But you don't look like a vegetarian?!'

Hilarious.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Dude, that is the website for Center for Disease Control, a government agency under the control of the United States Department of Poor Health and Human Disservices. Of course they support flouridation, that's the evil right there. Right the F there. All those people. Watch the documentary Flouridegate. Just watch it. You bathe in it. People get way too much. It's public drugging. Babies get way more than safe levels. There is no safe level, it is a toxin. Fluoride works synergystically with mercury and lead and leaches it from plumbing and dental work into your bones and organs. It's seriously bad stuff that affects babies especially and adults for life. You're brainwashed, wake up.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Dude, that is the website for Center for Disease Control, a government agency under the control of the United States Department of Poor Health and Human Disservices. Of course they support flouridation, that's the evil right there. Right the F there. All those people. Watch the documentary Flouridegate. Just watch it.
The same guys that advocate vaccination?

Yep, I'm going to support them. They do real research and publish real results using real scientists rather than some new-age bullcrap with no evidence and nothing but speculation.

Sorry Larry. We agree on a great many things but not this one.

EDIT:

Just to add. Here's a study from a very highly-respected medical journal:

http://www.bmj.com/content/321/7265/855

The study admits that the overall quality of research is only moderate (it's a meta-study) but with that many positive results then I'll take the weight of evidence over any other theories.

AND ANOTHER THING:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ
Fifteen of 16 analyses found a significantly greater mean change in decayed, missing, and filled primary/permanent teeth in the fluoridated areas than the non-fluoridated areas (fig 2). The range (median) of mean change in decayed, missing, and filled primary/permanent teeth was 0.5-4.4 (2.25) teeth (interquartile range 1.28-3.63 teeth).

Meta-regression showed that the proportion of children without caries at baseline, the setting, and the validity score show a significant association with the difference in risk in the proportion of children without caries. A table of the results of the meta-regression can be found on the BMJ's website. Baseline decayed, missing, and filled primary/permanent teeth, age, setting, and duration of study show a significant association with the mean difference in decayed, missing, and filled primary/permanent teeth.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Don't vaccinations have Mercury in them? Don't believe anything governments tell you, they do NOT have YOUR best interests at heart.

Your body does not require fluoride plain and simple. Why is the government so interested in our teeth? They're not.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Don't vaccinations have Mercury in them? Don't believe anything governments tell you, they do NOT have YOUR best interests at heart.

Your body does not require fluoride plain and simple. Why is the government so interested in our teeth? They're not.
www.nvic.org
www.drtenpenny.com
www.thedoctorwithin.com
www.mercola.com

Pharmaceutical execs answer only to shareholders. High profits keep them happy.
Go into a Walgreens or Riteaid here in the states and they'll practically hold you against your will to get any number of shots

flu shot
shingles
this
that
the other thing

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Vaccines contain mercury, lead, and/or aluminum aborted human fetal tissue, etc. Your body is a living organism and can heal itself. Chicken pox, the flu require bed for a day or two. Your body naturally tries to fight it and heal itself. Why would you want dangerous drugs to inhibit the body's natural process. Once you the diease and are inconvenienced you have lifetime immunity. Why mess with the process? FDA is pissed at natural remedies because you can't patent and make billions off of a plant.

Favorite book of all time is Thugs Drugs and the War on Bugs. I'll send you a copy Larry. Fine reading. To each their own.

But let's get back to drums :)
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

The 'mercury' controversy has been alleviated. In the US, mercury has been removed from all vaccines for administration for children under the age of six.

There was also a fraudulent case in the UK about the MMR vaccine causing Autism that was demonstrated as fraud. Andrew Wakefield (the man that published the study) has actually been struck off the medical register. As a result, measles had a renaissance in the UK and it's only now that the case was demonstrated to be fraudulent that the cases have begun to reduce again.

Larry, would you want to have smallpox? Polio? Measles? Mumps? Rubella? HPV (ok, you can't get that one)? Malaria?

The fact is that since vaccination programmes have been undertaken, the incidences of fatal diseases in first-World countries has dramatically plummeted. Vaccinations are demonstrated to work and in the overwhelming majority of cases demonstrated to be safe and effective.

In terms of cost, do you think it's better for the pharmaceutical companies to produce vaccines that prevent diseases or allow people to develop those diseases and then medicate them for the rest of their lives?

Vaccines are a modern miracle.

As for aborted foetal tissue in vaccines? Give me a break. Try to find a neutral source that isn't a pro-life advocacy organisation - preferably a peer-reviewed journal - that perpetuates that myth. Even if they do, it makes no odds to me - it's not a human life anyway.

If you want life expectancy to fall below fifty and for generations to have perfectly preventable diseases for life (and hence more money for the pharmaceutical companies) be my guest but don't come crying to me when they get Malaria and Polio.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:37 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I love me some measles. Lol.

I am not informed enough to speak intelligently about vaccinations, but flouride is something that no human body needs. Watch that documentary and listen to the government senior scientist whose scientific analysis of fluoride got him fired when an internal memo that he wrote explained how bad it is. An internal memo! A board certified senior scientist! Doing his job, analyzing! Fired! What does that say? He's saying, not publicly, internally, that it's a toxin and that people shouldn't be exposed to it and he gets fired. It was a big court case which he won. Just know that fluoride is bad stuff and you shouldn't be ingesting or bathing in it. I'm glad I have well water.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Fluoride is a toxin, as is chlorine and any number of other substances.

That's your choice, Larry and I'm not going to &$*% all over your choices. It's up to you.

I just haven't seen any evidence that it's ever caused any harm and it it has done good in preventing tooth decay. For me, it's a total non-issue.

With all that said, I'm being hypocritical and rolling a cigarette at this very moment...

Also, Larryz. None of those sources on your post are worth reading. All of them are utter bollocks and would be dismissed out-of-hand in any serious discussion of the issue using the demonstrated, reliable and very effective scientific process in a peer-reviewed publication.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I've seen the effects. I'm literally convinced that I'm way stupider than I would be if I hadn't been brought up on flouridated water. My stupidity is proof enough lol.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've seen the effects. I'm literally convinced that I'm way stupider than I would be if I hadn't been brought up on flouridated water. My stupidity is proof enough lol.
That one definitely raised a chuckle!

Just for the record, my folks' house (where I am these days) is Victorian and has leaded pipes. They're tested regularly and totally safe, partly due to the scaling from the massively hard water in my area...
Old 02-01-2013, 01:01 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Test your bones for lead, not your pipes. We know pipes have lead in them already.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Test your bones for lead, not your pipes. We know pipes have lead in them already.
Might explain my mass...
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 AM
Renegade

Soundcloud stream
Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Lol Gretchen :)

18, 19, 20
Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Since fluoride was put in the water tooth decay has reduced markedly. An ex partner had a big issue about fluoride in the water, that it somehow softened us up for mind control by the powers that be. Uh huh. And the moon landing was falsified and we're covering up evidence of Bigfoot and aliens at Roswell (who were apparently members of the Planet Express crew). While we little people lap up a lot of BS fed to us, we also manage to generate a fair bit of BS of our own.
Exactly.

The problem is, the alternative movement takes on a religious fervor all its own and then science gets lost along the way. The same skepticism and critical review that the government and big institutions face should be applied to the information from alternative sources. Because let's not kid ourselves, they have agendas of their own. Not to mention books to sell.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

I emulated a De Kooning in my painting class tonight, "Marilyn Monroe." My colors were a bit off, and my canvas was too small, but I didn't do too bad.