DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

Default Single vs double pedals for double bass

Hell-o! Looking to upgrade my pedals, I'm an e-drummer, no acoustic kit.

I've been using Pearl's nifty Eliminator pedals for a couple of years now. These pedals are really nice, I can get some real nice speeds and control with them. The times I've played on an acoustic kit, I've had a really killer experience.

Unfortunately, on my e-kit, the Eliminators don't really cut it, not due to any failing of the pedal, but because of the lack of bounce or rebound whatsoever. Thing is, that pretty much comes with the territory on e-drums, the damn things are like hitting a softish brick wall, not much response.

As a result of the lack of rebound, I find the pedals don't stick to my feet as much as I'd like them. I'm not the world's most technically proficient double bass player and I use brute strength to go faster as opposed to subtler things like heel-toe. Not in a crazy "I'm going to snap my DW footboard" kind of way. But a lot of use of my calf muscles, as opposed to my ankles.

I'm keen on trying out a couple of pedals. But I recently got a second bass kick for my e-drum and I was thinking about using two singles instead.

Everyone says the two singles are the way to go, much more responsive, with no lag. Unfortunately, most of the places I plan to play only have a single bass drum, which would render the single kicks useless for such situations.

Is there any way to work around this issue? Or should I just get the two singles and not worry about whether I get two bass drums at a venue? What are my options with respect to double pedals that can split into two singles?

I thought about converting the Elims into two singles by getting the extra parts, but decided against this for various reasons. Planning to try out a few newer pedals, like the Tama Super Cobra and the Pearl Demon Drive, besides the Iron Cobras and the Mapex Raptors and Falcons. Or any other pedals I can get my feet on. I might even consider a Trick Dominator, since those can be split up, but have no way to try it out, so I'm a bit leery of the idea.

My first post on these forums, be nice!

- Reggae Mangle
Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Single vs double pedals for double bass

I have trick dominators there smazimg pedals. They can go from double pedal to two singles. Sounds like a big deal for you. They also have a compressipn spring which will give ypu a nice rebound. There customer service is great to. When i needed a part a few days ago there ceo responded to my email! So overall i highly recomend them lol.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM

For double bass set up i prefer a Double pedal instead of two singles. Since i use the DW 9002 pedals i can easily convert it into two singles incase of gig requiring triggers. The reason i use a double pedal with a double bass set up is so that i get an even sound. Depending on the size of the venue i might decide to trigger the basses so i will get an even sound and in that case i will definitely use two singles. (much more comfortable and smoother) Just my opinion and i can't stress it enough. We all can't forget Drumming is personal preference.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:10 PM

If you work at your pedal settings you can get them to feel even.. also. i have NEVER had an issue triggering with a double pedal on a single kick. even for really fast stuff. once again its all in the settings of the module and what you put in the drum

go to your music store and test out a bunch of pedals.. the higher end ones won't feel laggy and have plenty of rebound......... a MESH e-kit kick drum is also maybe something you want to look at..
Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Silver Member

This isn't really a pedal setting issue, playing on an acoustic is fine. But playing on my Alesis e-drums' mylar heads doesn't give me anything to work with. Using the red cams, it just hits, doesn't sink and then backs up far too little to get even strokes. I dunno, I feel like I need some rebound to play kicks accurately.

Planning to upgrade my kicks to mesh heads as a matter of fact. Would that increase the bounce?

To be honest, the more I think about it, the more I am loathe to part with my Eliminators, but I am kind of eager to try out something new (they were my first kick pedals).

Been assessing the prospects of getting a Trick and while I'm sure they'll be awesome, I'm struggling to justify the $600 for a double, given that I'm not a very technical player. I'm more interested in playing straight ahead, flat out double bass, not much of a triplets person, though I wouldn't rule that out at some future point in my development as a player.

What I'm really interested in is the compression spring model, versus the expansion model I'm used to. I'm sure there would be a remarkable difference in the feel of one in comparison to the other.

The real nail-biter in my choices is the Iron Cobras. Old pedal, sure. Expansion style mechanism. But those cobra coils, ooh my. Like it would stick to my feet all the time, I like that. It's heavier than the Eliminator and the Speed Cobra too, I wonder what it plays like. Good days ahead.

- Reggae
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle View Post
Planning to upgrade my kicks to mesh heads as a matter of fact. Would that increase the bounce?
It certainly will, to the point where some e-drummers complain of too much bounce (although I'm not one of them).
In addition to the pedals mentioned below, Pearl Demons are also interchangeable between double pedal or 2 x single pedals.
BTW I've never had any issues using the Demons as a double pedal on a single mesh head (Roland KD85) apart from the noise factor!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, I read that about the Demon Drives and it's one of the pedals I'm considering! Planning to check them out too, I've never tried out a direct drive and I'm really curious how it feels. I like the idea of hyper-sensitive response, but then again, I'm concerned that my spastic movements and high speed spasms (complete with veins popping out on my neck) won't translate well.

The only hurdle is price: those things are about as expensive as the Trick Dominators and hence, I have to really ponder over the merits of performance versus practicality. Not being a gigging musician (but in a band) means no immediate return on investment.

But i'm still a musician, so GAS dictates I buy a new pedal... or two, lol!

- Reggae Mangle