DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM

Default Stick Recommendations

Hey All. I'm a recent drummer and I've been experimenting with drumsticks trying to find the right one. I like the diameter of 5A's but prefer the larger tip on a 5B nylon. I'm looking for something longer than a 5A but with the same smaller diameter with a larger oval nylon tip. Any recommendations?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Stick Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchLine17 View Post
Hey All. I'm a recent drummer and I've been experimenting with drumsticks trying to find the right one. I like the diameter of 5A's but prefer the larger tip on a 5B nylon. I'm looking for something longer than a 5A but with the same smaller diameter with a larger oval nylon tip. Any recommendations?
ProMark 747 Shira Kashi Oak with/without Nylon Tip.

This is by go to stick. It's longer than a 5A, yet has the taper of a 5B, with a large ovular tip. They also make a round tip - its the 707.
Being oak, it is a bit heavier than hickory, but it is much more durable.

Anyways, the 747 is basically exactly what you described - give it a shot and see! :)

Cheers!

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply. I was actually just reading up on that exact stick and seems to fit the bill perfectly. I've been using Promark sticks and I really like them so I'll definitely give this one a shot. Cheers.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

The 747 is good recommendation. Several stick companies make an "Extreme 5A" that also my work for you. When I decide to try out new sticks, I order three or four different models and see which one(s) I like. Good luck. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 AM

I use Vic Firth Metal-N sticks they're longer than the extreme's and have a red tip.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Ya, I've been playing the 747 Hickory w/ a nylon tip for years, and it is a great stick. Exactly as you describe as the ideal stick. Last year I tried the Vic Firth Extreme 5A as a back up when I couldn't find 747's and ended up liking them better now. It has a shorter taper that tapers down to a smaller tip. I happen to like this tip and I saw a video on how VF makes nylon tip sticks. Those tips are not going anywhere. Mostly I like the ride action with those tips and they tend to stay in my hands a little better for some reason. I stopped using grip tape recently because it's just one more expense I can do without. But that's just me.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the tips. I had to use grip tape for the ProMark 5A I was using as the diameter was just a little too thin. I got a set of 747's last night and they are an improvement but they do feel a little bit too long. Maybe I simply need to adjust to the new length. I also picked up a Regal Tip 5BX nylon tip, I'm really digging it!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchLine17 View Post
sup bro, definetly go for vater 55aa, or their new model , the 5a stretch. These sticks are like nearly the exact same thing.The 55aa has just a bit bigger tip though. They have the exact diameter of a standard 5a, but with more length. Ive loved longer sticks in 5a sizes and these hold up like a vic firth 2b.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM

Hey all, I found my stick! I tried a Regal Tip 5bx (lacquer finish) and loved it, then tried the equivalent model from Pro-Mark the 5bx natural finish (Jason Bittner model) and that's exactly what I was looking for. The feel, weight, width and length are perfect for me. The larger nylon tip is also a welcome surprise.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 AM

get a pair of extreme 5As ( X5A ) they are just like 5As, but slightly longer.