DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-04-2013, 05:54 PM

Default Vater sugar maple - what the hey?

After years trying countless differnet pairs of sticks- I think I found my perfect stick!!

Vater Power 5A sugar maple nylon tip. Light yet fat enough so they don't slip with a bit of extra length and width compared to regular 5As for that excellent mid-point balance. Nice taper and bounce too.

Only problem is that 2 of the three pairs I ordered online were warped!? None of the stores in NYC seem to stock them so I had to order them online. Never have had this issue with Vic Firth.

Thought Vater was a good reliable company- what the hey?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Vater sugar maple- what the hey?

I bought a pair of these a while back. Really liked them...but broke the tip clean off very quickly.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 01-04-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggmerino View Post
After years trying countless differnet pairs of sticks- I think I found my perfect stick!!

Vater Power 5A sugar maple nylon tip. Light yet fat enough so they don't slip with a bit of extra length and width compared to regular 5As for that excellent mid-point balance. Nice taper and bounce too.

Only problem is that 2 of the three pairs I ordered online were warped!? None of the stores in NYC seem to stock them so I had to order them online. Never have had this issue with Vic Firth.

Thought Vater was a good reliable company- what the hey?
Vater is a great company. I have tried the sugar maple line. What I like about them is how light they are in comparison to oak and maple without changing the size.

What I don' t like about them is that it's harder to get the power out of them, and every single pair I have bought have snapped. When I mean snap I mean actually snap, not chip or splinter. I think its just the type of wood.

As far as the warping goes, I have never had an issue with warped sticks. I never order offline though. I can't be much help because I am a promark guy. Will any of those music stores order them in for you?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 PM

I use Vater SD9's sometimes and I've also had some problems with warped sticks (i haven't had any badly warped sticks, but a lot of my Vaters seem to be just a little out of shape).
I haven't noticed anything while playing though, and the durability is always excellent.

I mainly use Vic Firth 8D's and they're always perfectly straight. But I don't think there's any problems with Vater. I never had a Vater stick that felt bad when I played it.
And that's all that really matters...

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 01-05-2013, 02:11 AM
Gold Member

I've seen warped sticks from just about every manufacturer. They're rare, but stuff happens. I'd contact who sold you the sticks and let them know you got a defective pair; they'll probably send out a replacement pair.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Silver Member

Sugar Maple is a terrible wood to use to hit things with. About 10 years ago, sugar maple was introduced to Major League Baseball and the instances of shattered (not broken) bat skyrocketed. Maple shatters instead of breaking fairly clean like hickory or oak, so it's a flying weapon. Additionally, maple gives much faster to breaking than does oak or hickory.

I really like the Vater sugar maple sticks, but was very well aware of the risks when I tried them. Great sticks, but their life is very short and in my opinion, they're dangerous.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Gold Member

I've been playing Vater's maple sticks for years and I've yet to have one shatter and the small number of sticks that have actually broken have been clean breaks.

I do not, however, use them to play baseball.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 AM

I bought a pair of the Vater Sugar Maple Blazers, they felt nice in my hands, but they weren't as powerful as their diameter would suggest (just due to their lightness). They split on the first rim shot of a song about 3 months later. Literally split. Just above where I was gripping them, clean diagonal snap along the stick, and the top hit me, point first in the neck.

Not bought a pair since after that.

I also had the problem of them not being tonally matched, so they made veeeeeery different sounds on the ride cymbal :/
Old 01-06-2013, 01:27 AM
Platinum Member

Own 'em, use 'em, love 'em. Prefer the weight of the hickory version for most applications, but there's no doubt I can find good use for the sugar maples too. Just perfect for when I don't quite need as much, but don't really want to grab a thinner stick either.

Sure I've broken them.....I've broken all sorts over the years, hickory, oak, thick, thin........they're drumsticks, they're perishables. They all break or degrade eventually. It's a simple law of physics. The price you pay for continually bashing a piece of wood against a piece of metal.

Never bought a warped stick though because I still roll them all along the counter and eliminate any that don't "look or feel" right. I've come across duds in every brand, weight or series of stick imaginable, so it's not just a problem with Vater, I assure you. Also never paid much credence to "timbre matching" either.....it's a relatively new concept, that is just far too gimmicky for my tastes. So all in all I have no complaints with any of the Vater sticks I use.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

I got a set of Vater sugar maple 7As. They're actually heavier than the Vic Firth SD4s I normally use. Which are also "sugar" or rock maple. I've been using the SD4s for the last couple years and have yet to break one. They chip and whittle down long before they snap. Used to play guitar in a corporate band and the harder hitting drummer there used them as well. He would chew them up in a few gigs (flat crash cymbals and lots of rimshots) and occasionally snap one that he tried to get too much mileage out of. Never saw one explode in 3 years of playing with him.

Previous to the SD4s when I got into playing with quieter blues bands, I used Firth SD10s which are also maple and a bit bigger than a 5A. Very controllable stick that you could get a fair range of dynamics out of. Maybe not for Kenny Aronoff, but if you let the drums and mics do the work, suitable for most any gig. Similar in feel and response to the old Bunken 5As.

I hate the splinters that grow off of hickory sticks, especially if you flip them around for cross sticking. And in my experience, hickory sticks break more randomly. When a maple stick gets whittled down enough, you know you're pushing your luck. Hickory just gives up when it wants to. And hickory transmits much more shock to your hands.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:00 PM

Thanks to the guy in a Dublin musicstore yesterday I learnt a lot more about sticks than I know.

Before I was wondering how certain 5As were heavier than others and he explained it was all about the wood weights. Maple being the lightest, then Hickory and to the heavier ones like Oak.

I got the Sugar Maple 5Bs and I've realised that I think I need a bigger stick for my hands now. I was playing 7A size to 5A for a while. These 5B Sugar Maples look like really responsive sticks. Might sort out some grip issues I have and this size is a better fit.

As for the 7A Sugar Maples, did anyone find them slippy? Surely they are the same type of wood as the 5B? I have the 7As and they seemed slippy. Maybe it's just the wrong size for me.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

I'm actually getting later this week a few different pairs of Vater Sugar Maples to check out.

Been using VF exclusively since 1984 and as of late have had nothing but issues with them. 2 pairs given to me as Christmas gifts were warped like crazy. Had to toss them - totally unusable. Additionally the SD4's and SD10's I've purchased myself over the last few years have significant weight difference.

If the Vaters are the same issues, I'll be back to VF.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 PM

Bought a pair of Vater Sugar Maple SD9's yesterday and they're great. No warping, fantastic feel, great durability and fantastic ride sound. So even though I've had a few warped hickory SD9's I'm overall very satisfied with my Vater sticks...

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 01-24-2013, 01:25 AM

vaters are probably the most resilient pair of drumsticks Ive ever owned! I have a pair that are literally 5 years old, and they show it...

I have literally no idea how they havent broken yet.. Ill post a picture when I get around to it