DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 10-09-2012, 03:23 PM

Default Trick double pedal - need some serious views and facts

ok here is what i need. i am looking at the trick detanator double pedal . my plan is to pick this item up used just to try it out . then i will make the decision to lay the big dollar amount on this thing if i like it enough. what i am looking for is either people who have used this pedal or own this exact model. plz let me know what you liked about it and what you didnt like about it aswell. add as much info and specs. as you can about this item. like what other type of beaters work well for it ect.. i dont have the option to just drive to my local dealer that has trick products cuz they are not very popular w. alot of people . i have heard all kinds of different things about this pedal but i want to hear it from ppl. that have played it or owned it . i came to this decision from trying out the pearl deamon drive pedal and i thought it was pretty nice but not six hundred fifty bucks nice.i thank and appreciate everyones opinion on this matter. plz only serious comments none of that wishy washy type of comments . it is just a waste of my time solid facts and solid and concrete information plz..
Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Trick double pedal - need some serious views and facts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Do you realise that the people here are giving free information and are investing their time to do so? So the way you're appreciating this is telling them you'd like them to not waste your time? Please think about it... and appreciate any comments you're getting.

Well being a mod I have to tell you... Please take a few minutes of _your_ time (yes, this time it's _your_ turn!) to get familiar with the structure of this forum so you'd know where to post stuff. Does it concern 'pedals'? If so - you'd post it under 'gear' / 'pedals', but not in the General section. (That's why I moved the thread - into the section where it belongs.) Ok, now you know.

On topic: You'll never know whether you (=your feet) like a pedal unless you've tried _for yourself_. Even a million positive 'serious' reviews might be pointless if you learn that a particular pedal is not what you were dreaming of. There's a bunch of pedals which would rival the Trick double but well you already excluded them... Now if you care to consider a few more pedals in the same league - check out e.g. Axis, Czarcie Kopyto (Poland), VIP (Sweden). But you'd still narrow your self down because in real life you have to physically set your feet on any given pedal and try for yourself (including messing with settings like spring tension etc) to get optimum results _per pedal/player_. Plus don't forget that if your skills/feet are fine you can get stunning results with any (cheapo/crap) pedal. So ultimately it's your feet anyway.

Don't focus on one pedal because of specs or somebody using them. You have to test for yourself, that would be the moment of truth. Anything else is guesswork with unpredictable results, regardless the price/reputation etc. You might get away with a much lower price if you consider pedals like the Mapex Falcon. I must admit that when I was checking out double pedals at the store there were quite some surprises/disappointments - some pedals were expensive/fancy/sophisticated but felt like crap under my feet while others were much cheaper and felt better - but as always, it's subjective. Reviews can only be a rough guideline.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:29 PM

well i guess i just didnt explain myself good enough then . i dont mind whoever leaves anything to say , but what i meant to say or portray ,was that i dont want certain peaple having disagreements and not staying on ,or close to the subject . as for my search of my perfect feeling pedal,i finally went with the new demon chain ,modified with the older eliminator color coded cams . i understand what you are saying about welcoming any comments that others have to offer,just dont want the thread to end up being a fighting ground for stupid ,and useless words. the feel of the moded demon chain is ,just the way i imagined it would feel and play like. the only thing i need to add to this pedal,is beaters just like the trick detanator ,but with a little more weight ,and power. thanks for the advice anyway man.the biggest reason why i have to be so picky ,is cuz i am leagaly blind,and mostly depend on how things feel ,and sound. so no disrespect to anyone on here,just need to be more clear about what i am trying to say on these drum forums.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM

I personally didn't like the Trick dominator. The mounting system works and seems to keep the pedals in place (maybe because of the velcro on carpet) but it isn't very secure. The footboards on these pedals are pretty thick and heavy, the main reason I didn't like the pedals. They are extremely well built pedals though.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Note also that the Dominator is a longboard, so if you don't like that feel, you'll be disappointed. the fact that you're looking at a double indicates that you want to do some fancy footwork, and not everyone likes the longboard for that.

Bermuda
Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

Most people complaining that Axis/Trick pedals are too light conveniently overlook the fact that both companies offer regular split-board pedal designs, which bear a heavier feel ...
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schist View Post
Most people complaining that Axis/Trick pedals are too light conveniently overlook the fact that both companies offer regular split-board pedal designs, which bear a heavier feel ...
This said to be true, tho its better to have a light feeling pedal than ones that's too heavy.

You can add weight to the AXIs' number one piece and both TRICK and AXIS get heavier with beater weights bottomed out near the main axle's.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schist View Post
Trick offers two footboards on the Pro1v (aka the Detonator), but the Dominator is only a one piece, and the length is that of a longboard.

Bermuda
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 PM

You certainly get what you pay for when you're talking about that amount of cash for a bass pedal. I'm sure the aircraft grade aluminum in the trick pedals are tough and lightweight but should it warrant $850? I thought about spending that much before I discovered the mapex raptor direct drive double bass pedal. $265 new retail but $225 new on ebay. I got an incredible speed boost from the direct drive system and refuse to believe that any other higher priced pedal would be that much ($$$) better.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcKDrUmm3R View Post
I personally didn't like the Trick dominator. The mounting system works and seems to keep the pedals in place (maybe because of the velcro on carpet) but it isn't very secure. The footboards on these pedals are pretty thick and heavy, the main reason I didn't like the pedals. They are extremely well built pedals though.
My Dominator slave is pretty secure. Hasn't budged in a year now. But that did concern me when I was first checking it out. Maybe the type of carpet affects its grip? I have it on a Home Depot rug and I have to pry it off to move it.

How does a "heavy" footboard affect the speed or control of any pedal if it is in the middle of 2 bearing pivots? The learning curves for me was going from shortboard to longboard. And going from chain to direct drive. Keep these features in mind or else you'll have a long learning curve.

Last edited by BigDinSD; 01-06-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly! View Post
You certainly get what you pay for when you're talking about that amount of cash for a bass pedal. I'm sure the aircraft grade aluminum in the trick pedals are tough and lightweight but should it warrant $850? I thought about spending that much before I discovered the mapex raptor direct drive double bass pedal. $265 new retail but $225 new on ebay. I got an incredible speed boost from the direct drive system and refuse to believe that any other higher priced pedal would be that much ($$$) better.
I don't know if any $850 pedal will make my feet any faster. The Dominator was worth my $500 - IMO.

Reminds me that it's more skill than gear.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
This said to be true, tho its better to have a light feeling pedal than ones that's too heavy.

You can add weight to the AXIs' number one piece and both TRICK and AXIS get heavier with beater weights bottomed out near the main axle's.
It's not heavy, it's heavier - still light feeling, but not too light.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
I don't know if any $850 pedal will make my feet any faster. The Dominator was worth my $500 - IMO.

He's asking about the $850 detanator Trick pro1-v. I agree, it is skill more so than gear, but switching from a dw 2000 chain drive double pedal to the mapex raptor direct drive pedal made achieving faster speeds and more complex patterns much easier. Direct drive made a huge difference for me.

That's definitely a good pedal, and like I said, you get what you pay for. So if you have the cash to drop on a pedal that expensive then I say go for it. If parting with that kind of cash is hard to do, then check out the myriad of other pedals offered at cheaper prices.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

I have 2 sets of Trick Pro1vs...love em to death for a few reasons. Primarily that they are engineered and built right here in USA (Chicagoland) by an ex-Marine. Ive played most major brands over the 40+ years of my drumming and landed on Trick by chance and now Im hooked. No fuss, no goofy widgets to make them better, they are just the best engineered pedal with the best top line components available. If you want to spend 250 bux for a pedal, feel free - I feel I am getting a deal (I paid less than MSRP for both sets) with Trick.

F
Old 01-07-2013, 03:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1973 View Post
ok here is what i need. i am looking at the trick detanator double pedal . my plan is to pick this item up used just to try it out . then i will make the decision to lay the big dollar amount on this thing if i like it enough. what i am looking for is either people who have used this pedal or own this exact model. plz let me know what you liked about it and what you didnt like about it aswell. add as much info and specs. as you can about this item. like what other type of beaters work well for it ect.. i dont have the option to just drive to my local dealer that has trick products cuz they are not very popular w. alot of people . i have heard all kinds of different things about this pedal but i want to hear it from ppl. that have played it or owned it . i came to this decision from trying out the pearl deamon drive pedal and i thought it was pretty nice but not six hundred fifty bucks nice.i thank and appreciate everyones opinion on this matter. plz only serious comments none of that wishy washy type of comments . it is just a waste of my time solid facts and solid and concrete information plz..
I think it's actually called the "Dominator" pedal. OP might be referring to a classified US assault weapon.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 AM

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...ass-drum-pedal

The detanator and dominator are different ^^^ that's the detanator

Quote:

HAhAha it says ass drum pedal

Last edited by Bernhard; 01-07-2013 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

HAhAha it says ass drum pedal
Ha! All this time I just thought it's name was just the Pro 1-V. I didn't read much after seeing the price.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Ha! All this time I just thought it's name was just the Pro 1-V. I didn't read much after seeing the price.
lol I can't say that I blame you...
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM

ok guys. thanks for all your info about the trick double pedal. i picked it up used from musician friend for 679.00. this is what i thought of the pro v 2 detanator . i gave it a more than fair try,but the left side ,slave, could never feel like the primary side,so i just finally sent it back to mf,for a complete refund. i finally picked up the new demon chain ,and put the older eliminator cams ,that have the option to use different color of cam inserts. quite simply i love the way it sounds ,and feels,compared to any other pedal i have ever used,settings ,smoothness,flexability ,comfort, and so on. i have not even split the footboard yet. really like the blue cams,and the ease of use,it allows me to play very fluid double bass feels,and patterns . my next pedal project is putting the power glide cams on the speed cobra. really dont like the feel of the rolling glide cams on speed cobra. me being blind ,makes it very important for my equipment to sound ,and feel beyond amazing. thanks for everyones imput.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

i gave it a more than fair try,but the left side ,slave, could never feel like the primary side,so i just finally sent it back

Damn that left side pedal!

They never feel like the main pedal... and honestly they never will.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1973 View Post
i gave it a more than fair try,but the left side ,slave, could never feel like the primary side
Wow - interesting review from a pedal with that price tag. Does the Demon slave feel more like the primary?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 AM

basically the trick was just too heavy for my taste . the slave on the demon chain is as good or better on slave. my demon eliminator modiafication is the best feeling pedal i have ever played. i have bought lots of double pedals,and this demon mod is the cats pajamas . lol. it is so comfortable ,and easy to play. i can play 8th notes really fluid. that is something that is very hard for me to play on a really wacked out feeling pedal. i guess i just dont like direct drive pedals.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 AM

Direct drive takes a while to get use to. It's certainly a different feeling system. I've grown to love it. It feels like the footboard is glued to my feet. Direct-drives push the footboard back on rebound, giving the pedal a quicker response. Now that I'm use to it, I can notice the difference to that of chain drive pedals. I don't think I could ever go back. But we're all different, and that's just what makes us all the same.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:39 PM

I totally agree that the Trick pedals were too heavy. The pedal board might be a little thicker than most but the metal used is def what adds the weight. Compare it to maybe a dw 5000 pedal board and i'm sure it out-weighs it.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcKDrUmm3R View Post
I totally agree that the Trick pedals were too heavy. The pedal board might be a little thicker than most but the metal used is def what adds the weight. Compare it to maybe a dw 5000 pedal board and i'm sure it out-weighs it.
i agree. i used the pro-1v for about 2 years, but after switching back to my old eliminators its crazy how much less weight there is to move. and comparing them to my axis is totally different too.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 AM

I actually owned the dominators and gigged with them for a year and a half or so. The pedals are on the lighter side compared to other footboards. The dominators also came with the special trick metal beaters; personally I didn't like them so much. Although extremely fluid I felt that the pedals lacked power unless I really applied to the kick drum.

I eventually added heavier DW beaters to them but it didn't give me enough kick so to speak. I have since moved back to my DW 5000's.

On another note, JUST TRY THEM! My foot doesn't speak music like yours, so ultimately it is how it feels on your foot that matters.