DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Girl drummers

It's just that girls are wired to create stuff differently than men: they can bear children. So they make the trivialities of life such as violence and art take a step back in their priorities.

That said, I believe they have higher potential. I've yet to hear a modern male drummer play with as much finesse, dynamic flair and rudimental control as Terry-Lynne Carrington.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Not surprised at all. There's also evidence in showing employment preferences for tall men over short men (no Bo, not in Disney) and good looking people over uglies.
Well, just to point it out that the only reason I got this gig is because you couldn't have taller people doing it. And it doesn't matter that I'm ugly - nobody sees me. But the other girls are pretty, for drummers....

But thanks for trying to make me feel better ;)
Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickDutt View Post
It's just that girls are wired to create stuff differently than men: they can bear children. So they make the trivialities of life such as violence and art take a step back in their priorities.

That said, I believe they have higher potential. I've yet to hear a modern male drummer play with as much finesse, dynamic flair and rudimental control as Terry-Lynne Carrington.
As much as I agree with your position about genetic predisposition speculation, I'd disagree that we can lump women together that art takes a step back. I've met examples of the contrary (perhaps I haven't met men that take art more seriously, though). Women can be just as passionate about their art (whatever that may be).
Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Phooey. Never liked girl drummers. Let's take an example, say, me. I routinely use my vixenlike supermodel looks to get my million-view tracks as demonstrated in my most recent vid, which didn't only get 1 million views - it got 19!!

Read 'em and weep baby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qakvp6Ua0_I
Make that 20! I enjoyed that as well as the Lark Tongues in Aspic cover and will check out the others (at home since I am at work).

Thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickDutt View Post
So they make the trivialities of life such as violence and art take a step back in their priorities.

Bick, anecdotally I'd have to agree. I've met a lot more men who are passionate about the arts than women - no doubt a big reason why I'm hanging out with you guys online rather than female musicians (the few of us - Mary, Caz etc excepted).

You may have a point about those with more rounded priorities having the benefit of a clear third person standpoint. However, I'm hardly in a position to comment :)

As for TLC, she sure is one out of the box - but then again players like Steve Gadd and Roy Haynes can also play with that kind of dexterity and sensitivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Well, just to point it out that the only reason I got this gig is because you couldn't have taller people doing it. And it doesn't matter that I'm ugly - nobody sees me. But the other girls are pretty, for drummers....

But thanks for trying to make me feel better ;)
Ha! I felt that if I didn't mention you and Disney, then someone would pipe up about it. You actually have a nice face, far from ugly ... if you're fishing for compliments, consider this a bite :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. Thomson View Post
Make that 20! I enjoyed that as well as the Lark Tongues in Aspic cover and will check out the others (at home since I am at work).
Thanks Bruce. After 4 months that vid now has over 200 views - clearly due to my oestrogenic lure!

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bick, anecdotally I'd have to agree. I've met a lot more men who are passionate about the arts than women - no doubt a big reason why I'm hanging out with you guys online rather than female musicians (the few of us - Mary, Caz etc excepted).

You may have a point about those with more rounded priorities having the benefit of a clear third person standpoint. However, I'm hardly in a position to comment :)

As for TLC, she sure is one out of the box - but then again players like Steve Gadd and Roy Haynes can also play with that kind of dexterity and sensitivity.

Ha! I felt that if I didn't mention you and Disney, then someone would pipe up about it. You actually have a nice face, far from ugly ... if you're fishing for compliments, consider this a bite :)

Thanks Bruce. After 4 months that vid now has over 200 views - clearly due to my oestrogenic lure!
I am not fishing for compliments on my looks. That's not the important thing. Personally I think it's harder to be attractive - you're busy looking good as opposed to being busy playing well ;)
Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I am not fishing for compliments on my looks. That's not the important thing. Personally I think it's harder to be attractive - you're busy looking good as opposed to being busy playing well ;)
Playing well .is always the sexiest thing around...at least to me :). It's all about the attitude in the end
Old 01-23-2013, 05:32 AM

I love Emmanuelle Caplette's drumming :D
Hannah Ford and Caitlin Tomas are so pretty <3

Nia Lovelis from Cherri Bomb is a crazy pretty one, but as a drummer not so good, I think she is still learning

Meytal Cohen don't like her drumming so much, but she plays better than me L0L

But, my favourite girl drummer is Senri Kawaguchi :P
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member

Here's some interesting read from Meytal Cohen's website:

You're probably here cause you wanna know who I am, where I come from and how is it that I am the way that I am. Well, no good answer for that one. but let's give it a try.

My name is Meytal Cohen. pretty common Israeli name that also just happens to sound like my favorite style of music. coincidence? I think not. :) so yes, I'm from Israel, I'm the youngest of 7. I have 4 sisters and 2 brothers and they are all lawyers and doctors. my dad died when I was in second grade, when a drunk driver crashed while he was standing on the sidewalk. my mom successfully raised us all by herself. I started playing drums at about 18 years old, despite the conventional, "you're making noise, you're wasting time, you're spending money, and this will never mount to anything" sorta thing. lol

At 18 years old I was drafted to the Israeli Defense Force, (it's mandatory) and I served for 2 years. a lot of you are asking about it, so I'll answer some common questions. can you shoot a gun? yes. can you kick my ass? most probably. did you like it? I did meet some of the best friends I'll ever have, but as a whole, I'm looking forward to world peace, and I love all living things.

At age 21 I moved to LA to pursue a drumming career. I attended the LA Music Academy. while in school I managed to break my back in a car accident. I broke three vertebras, and had to wear a back brace for a half a year. I returned to Israel for the healing process, and returned to LA within a year and graduated. After school, it wasn't easy, like it never really is for a musician trying to make a living at it. I did some small tours and some ridiculous gigs while I was practicing most of the time just by myself playing to my favorite tunes.

My first big youtube hit was the toxicity electric violin version, which was actually an audition tape to America's Got Talent. the show didn't think much of us but the video was a youtube hit. as a result I decided to continue uploading youtube videos, which I did. today I have over 50mil youtube views and over 275k facebook followers. I'm very lucky and blessed to have you reading this right now, I owe you big time, for caring sharing and supporting what i do. THANK YOU!

Many amazing things have happened and are planned to happen in the very near future. recordings, tours and clinics around the world. I'm also currently working on producing original music and I can't wait for you to check it out!! I'd love for you to come say hi on one of the upcoming tours or clinics, and if you can't make it, there's always twitter or facebook! :) Love you. Meytal
Old 02-09-2013, 01:45 AM
Anthony Amodeo

she is a fantastic player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnMRxEoGA-k
Old 02-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
Lovely playing, hideously over processed drum sound though. It's an advert that's meant to feature the special sound of the heads FFS!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Playing well .is always the sexiest thing around...at least to me :). It's all about the attitude in the end
And I thought I was doing it to display my "primitive heat" ;)
Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming4life View Post
Was just wondering what you guys thought of all these girl drummers getting loads of views on youtube?

I have no thoughts regarding Youtube.

I do love Terri Lynne Carrington though. One of my all time favorite drummers. I like the notes more than the sex of the person playing them. Frankly, I do not care.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Cindy Blackman's lifetime tribute to Tony Williams, featuring Jack Bruce, Vernon Reid and John Medeski...

... it's called Spectrum Road.

Check out Cindy's drumming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe9DW7A2NfA
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Lovely playing, hideously over processed drum sound though. It's an advert that's meant to feature the special sound of the heads FFS!
Somewhere in Drum Advert world is a recording or sample of this drum sound and no matter what drums, what heads, what ever, this is the sound they use. My same comment on Youtube. The drums are so overly processed I couldn't hear the heads she is selling. When will they ever learn?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Somewhere in Drum Advert world is a recording or sample of this drum sound and no matter what drums, what heads, what ever, this is the sound they use. My same comment on Youtube. The drums are so overly processed I couldn't hear the heads she is selling. When will they ever learn?
So true!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
they don't sound very processed to me at all

maybe some verb on the snares and a clicky kick ......but the toms are natural

but I don't hear any triggers or processing whatsoever ...just some mics in a very live room and a not so perfect mix

Last edited by Anthony Amodeo; 02-09-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
the toms are natural

...just some mics in a very live room and a not so perfect mix
Sorry for my off topic comment Anthony, but really? You're kidding me - right? Those smaller toms especially, are EQ'd to hell & back.

She's a superb player though :) :) :)
Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

It's a well know fact, love makes you deaf :-))
Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Sorry for my off topic comment Anthony, but really? You're kidding me - right? Those smaller toms especially, are EQ'd to hell & back.

She's a superb player though :) :) :)

sound like mic'd up drums in a live room to me

definitely EQd some.....but I wouldnt call it hideously over processed I dont think

Last edited by Anthony Amodeo; 02-09-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Anthony Amodeo

this is over processed

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8uj_oB3Noc
Old 02-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
That's brilliant! Although . . . this has to be the winner for "most artificial drum sound".
Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Tempered Clavier View Post
That's brilliant! Although . . . this has to be the winner for "most artificial drum sound".

that is hilarious !!!

....and now after reviving this dead thread I have officially taken it's topic completely off course.....for that I apologize

but that was great.......and even better hair
Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
sound like mic'd up drums in a live room to me

definitely EQd some.....but I wouldnt call it hideously over processed I dont think
Fair comment Anthony. I was referring to EQ mainly, & in the context of a video made for the purposes of allowing the listener to hear the sound of the product. In performance terms, it was "moderate" :)

Quote:
Yup! That cardboard box is a killer. Got to get me one of those :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Tempered Clavier View Post
Now that's funny! (+clever & inventive).

Quote:
that is hilarious !!!

....and now after reviving this dead thread I have officially taken it's topic completely off course.....for that I apologize

but that was great.......and even better hair
Nothing wrong with a bit of mid thread fun :)
Old 10-12-2013, 08:55 PM
PRO DRUMMER

Hi everyone,
I like to refer to it as the 'before and after' look!
The look on some musicians faces when you turn up to a gig and the look afterwards!!
It's hilarious.
But on a more somber tone, sexist attitudes do exist and I can see a few on here do still discriminate and it just plain saddens me deeply.
Whereas I appreciate it is probably some stupid percentage of only 5 % female drummers, I wish people would just stop it... drop having to be described as a 'female' drummer, I am just a Drummer trying hard to keep making a living from what I love.
I take my craft very seriously, have done for 32 years, it's all I know.

Enough already!! LOL
Let us get on with becoming the best ' musical' players we can be!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 PM
PRO DRUMMER

PS I've just come back from NYC and was doing the rounds of the Jazz clubs to meet some musician/tap dance friends and sit in...
Met Kim Thompson, she sat in with Robert Glasper, just incredible playing!
Would like to set her up behind a screen LOL
Old 10-13-2013, 03:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I love Emmanuelle Caplette's drumming :D

But, my favourite girl drummer is Senri Kawaguchi :P
Yeah I admire their drumming too, especially the latter, she even has a DW page.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:47 PM

I play percussion in an Indie/Soukous group and our drummer is a girl who I've know a few years now, for the most part people are nice but a little too often people will come up to her and say "You're a pretty good drummer for a girl" or something in that area. I guess its more ignorance than rudeness but its not something I'd want to deal with.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michdrums View Post
PS I've just come back from NYC and was doing the rounds of the Jazz clubs to meet some musician/tap dance friends and sit in...
Met Kim Thompson, she sat in with Robert Glasper, just incredible playing!
Would like to set her up behind a screen LOL
I caught Kim playing with Mike Stern on a couple of occasions at the 55 Bar, before it became a jazz club, when it was just a bar that Mike played at on any given Monday or Tuesday. Kim blew my mind. She smokes, plays with fire, chops and taste. The complete drummer who happens to be a very fine looking young woman and who can make more than one male drummer want to hide. She´s a great drummer for a drummer.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:35 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michdrums View Post
I am just a Drummer trying hard to keep making a living from what I love. I take my craft very seriously, have done for 32 years, it's all I know.
... and you've done very very well in your drumming career if you don't mind me saying, you're a brilliant drummer and ... on top of it, a very nice and approachable person.

I was delighted to meet you at the LDS on Sunday :)

Here's what Cindy Blackman think of "gender" subject....

"The gender question is not even worth bringing up because the drums have got nothing to do with gender, I'm there because I love to play music. And I'm in support of anyone who wants to play the instrument. I wouldn't care if Art Blakey was pink with polka dots and wearing a tutu. I wouldn't care if Tony Williams was green. There are people who have opinions about whatever and whoever, in terms of gender, in terms of race and weight, hairstyle, religion... but to me, your personality influences what you play and what you do, but everything else is for you to develop and to nourish and to take further, and that's where I'm at. In terms of my goals, me being a female drummer has nothing to with anything except for the fact that I wear bras and panties and guys don't."

I rest my case... in this world there's only drummers, some are better than others, some are pros and some are hobbyists, gender does not come into the equation... except for those gorgeous looks (but it applies for both genders, right girls?)

Old 10-15-2013, 01:20 AM
britchops
This message has been deleted by britchops.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM

To be honest, I've never seen one of the really good girl/lady drummers live or on DVD. Maybe one day...

Britchops Drum Tuition
Britchops Foundation Drum Course

www.britchops.co.uk
Old 10-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
gender does not come into the equation... except for those gorgeous looks (but it applies for both genders, right girls?)

I don't know. Outstanding ability is incredibly attractive per se.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:27 PM

It's great to know that drumming transcends sexist boundaries, age boundaries, racist boundaries - I love girl drummers, baby drummers, old drummers and drummers of all races - I wish I had the skill of some of these guys/girls!! At the end of the day it's all about how good you are that counts.

TJ

www.britchops.co.uk

Britchops Drum Tuition

www.britchops.co.uk
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny91 View Post
...'re a pretty good drummer for a girl" or something in that area. I guess its more ignorance than rudeness but its not something I'd want to deal with.
This would piss me off. Either I'm good, or I'm not. Don't raise or lower the bar, based on my sex.

What's next? Black drummers are better than white drummers?

Young vs old?

Lefties vs righties?

Same logic applies.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:15 AM
Platinum Member

The looks may draw them in but only the playing can make them stay....
Old 10-17-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
The looks may draw them in but only the playing can make them stay....
lol! Agreed........
Old 10-18-2013, 01:25 PM

me too....!

TJ

www.britchops.co.uk

Britchops Drum Tuition

www.britchops.co.uk
Old 10-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
I don't know. Outstanding ability is incredibly attractive per se.
Good God... you must be madly in love with me then... :-))
Old 10-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Good God... you must be madly in love with me then... :-))
Absolutely. And right in front of Mr Madge too - my bad!