DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-18-2012, 02:56 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Finally gave in - a cart for my drums!

Well, after years of striving for efficient drum transport through the use of a single trap case and lightweight stands, my back decided it had other plans. I have split up my trap case components - stands, cymbals, seat/pedal - into 3 bags, and bought a cart to keep the trips to a minimum. In fact, the cart now makes it possible to load in one trip (it was formerly two,) and it's easier on my back not dealing with the trap case, which seemingly became heavier over time.

Anyway, I know I'm not the first guy to use a cart or carry cymbals in a bag, but I fought it for a long time, and I've finally come around!

BTW, the cart is the Ultimate Support Karma Cart (JS-KC90) and was $149 out the door at Sam Ash, with a $10 gift card.

Toms on the left, kick, cymbals, snare on the right, stands/sticks across the top, and the floppy drum bag on top has my seat and pedal.

Will try this rig for the first time tonight!

Bermuda
Old 11-18-2012, 03:15 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Finally gave in - a cart for my drums!

Congrats! Your back will be all the better for it! Being healthier and un-injured is the way to go.

I started using the Rock n roller carts when they first came out back in the 90s (still using the same one too) and that was the best investment I ever made. It didn't even matter where I parked the truck!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:22 AM
Platinum Member

Definitely a good call. I've had access to a trolley in the past and it was great to be able to move all of the gear in one trip. If my new band project starts getting regular gigs (and there's some income) then I will definitely be investing in a fold-up cart.

There's something awfully satisfying about organising everything into an efficient system. If it saves your back, all the better.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:30 AM
Gold Member

Carts are all well and good, but...

...you have to be able to haul the cart.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
...you have to be able to haul the cart.
Exactly, which is why I had to pass on others - they weren't really any easier to deal with than a loaded trap case! The Ultimate Support is fairly light, and that's a real plus. Also, it loads into the truck on its side, fully set up, so there's no muss or fuss surrounding load-in/out. Although I haven't quite decided where to store it... maybe where the old trap case used to sit? :)

Bermuda
Old 11-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Administrator

This would be even easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uwxf...eature=related
Old 11-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Pioneer Member

I've been thinking about a cart for a while, but it's one of those things (like a nice throne) that I just never get around to buying. Congrats on getting out of your own way!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Gold Member

Hey Bermuda,

How was the ride given the non pneumatic wheels? Did the stuff bounce off?

I was amazed to see all your hardware in 1 bag, but then I re-read and saw you had 3 hardware bags, right?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Well, after years of striving for efficient drum transport through the use of a single trap case and lightweight stands, my back decided it had other plans. I have split up my trap case components - stands, cymbals, seat/pedal - into 3 bags, and bought a cart to keep the trips to a minimum. In fact, the cart now makes it possible to load in one trip (it was formerly two,) and it's easier on my back not dealing with the trap case, which seemingly became heavier over time.

Anyway, I know I'm not the first guy to use a cart or carry cymbals in a bag, but I fought it for a long time, and I've finally come around!

BTW, the cart is the Ultimate Support Karma Cart (JS-KC90) and was $149 out the door at Sam Ash, with a $10 gift card.

Toms on the left, kick, cymbals, snare on the right, stands/sticks across the top, and the floppy drum bag on top has my seat and pedal.

Will try this rig for the first time tonight!

Bermuda
Very slick! I have been using a Rock 'n' Roller cart since 2005. Excellent investment. Plus I sometimes use the cart for moving furniture and I've taken it on a few vacations for schlepping stuff. Agreed, if the cart doesn't fold and compact, it's not worth the hassle.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Gold Member

Not a bad idea, I have gotten my kit down to 4 bags, a rug and cymbal bag but its still 5 trips to the car. I think I might get one of those!!! YOU USE BAGS????!!!!! Never would have thought that. That cant be that Ludwig keystone kit in there?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Hey Bermuda,

How was the ride given the non pneumatic wheels? Did the stuff bounce off?

I was amazed to see all your hardware in 1 bag, but then I re-read and saw you had 3 hardware bags, right?
The ride was fine for the one gig I've done with the rig so far, and that was on the pier at Santa Monica, so a bit uneven on the planks! No problem with anything shifting, but I do keep a hand on top of it to prevent that. Bungees have been suggested, but if something's that topheavy, it will fall over anyway and take the whole cart down.

The stands are in 1 bag, but they're lightweight, and only what I need for the gig. That night, juist once cymbal stand. :)

Bermuda
Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

They are back savers. I can fit my 4 piece kit on the cart and throw my carpet on top to hold it all in place. I also bought the Gator hardware rolling bag (looks like a golf bag) so I push the Gator bag and pull the cart and in most cases I can make it all in one trip. I also upgraded the stock front wheels which make it easier rolling over some surfaces. Thank heaven for technology, now if I could only afford a drum tech :-)
Old 11-19-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
Not a bad idea, I have gotten my kit down to 4 bags, a rug and cymbal bag but its still 5 trips to the car. I think I might get one of those!!! YOU USE BAGS????!!!!! Never would have thought that. That cant be that Ludwig keystone kit in there?
Locally I use bags for a few reasons: I handle my gear gently enough that they don't need to much protection, and they take up less space than cases so I can condense storage. Obviously on tour, everything is in flight cases, and I don't have to handle them, and most of that stored with Al's touring gear, so I don't have to deal with storing it either. :)

Those are my local Keystones on the cart, I've been using them almost exclusively for gigging and recording. Although today & tomorrow I've got my Legacies on the job. Of course, they look the same in bags.

Bermuda
Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
The ride was fine for the one gig I've done with the rig so far, and that was on the pier at Santa Monica, so a bit uneven on the planks! No problem with anything shifting, but I do keep a hand on top of it to prevent that. Bungees have been suggested, but if something's that topheavy, it will fall over anyway and take the whole cart down.

The stands are in 1 bag, but they're lightweight, and only what I need for the gig. That night, juist once cymbal stand. :)

Bermuda
Interesting. I notice you use all soft bags ... I have SKB hard cases, they failed to protect one of my drums from some kind of knock or fall, but I think I'd freak out if they were all in soft bags! I'm a very clumsy person.

That's why I went with bungee cords on my Rock n' Roller cart. It's not top-heavy, it's just a tall stack (trap case on bottom, drums stacked on top). I use three cords, one over the top and two around the sides, and those drums are stuck in place. Worth the extra few seconds of strapping them down to not worry about them falling off on a slight bump.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

Those things are a great idea for drummers, and an even greater idea for guitar players.. Our guitar player uses a similar one. His stuff weighs a lot more than mine (and I carry my own mic's and snake).
Old 11-22-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
Interesting. I notice you use all soft bags ... I have SKB hard cases, they failed to protect one of my drums from some kind of knock or fall, but I think I'd freak out if they were all in soft bags! I'm a very clumsy person.
Since I handle my local gear myself, and am pretty careful about knocks and falls, the bags are fine (and take up a lot less space than my cases did!) But this is my first experience with a cart, so I'm being extra careful with the bags. So far, 2 gigs, no spills!

Bermuda
Old 11-24-2012, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the cart tip!
I have some gigs coming up this cart (from the pics) looked like it would be good for.
I got curious, and checked it out on their site. It seemed cool, so I picked one up today on Amazon. It was offered at a real good deal.

My wife suggested that I get a cart a while ago, but, I just never did it.
My load isn't real heavy, or awkward, but less trips back and forth would cut the time a lot, and that would be real nice.
The "not worrying about a close parking spot" will be sweet too!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
That night, juist once cymbal stand. :)
WHAT?!?!

Just joking!!

That is a great purchase! After carrying around two handfulls of gear for multiple trips, the convinience must make things feel heavenly. I will mimmick your decision.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

Got a Rock N Roller cart myself a few years ago and was easily one of the best purchases ever!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM

I started using the Magna Cart Flatform Truckô 4-wheeled Folding Hand Cart from Costco. It's a bit small, but I can fit 4 SKB cases on it (using bungee cords to hold it together). The cart is nice because the wheels fold up, as well as the handle, making it rather flat and easy to fit in on top of drums in the trunk of my car.

Link: https://www.costco.com/Magna-Cart-Fl....11650176.html
Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 AM

I bought a Rock 'n Roller (the R8 I think) about 5 years ago and I agree that it's one of the best purchases I've ever made for myself. I have a walking disability so carrying gear myself isn't an option without it. This allows me to "pull my weight" so to speak at gigs and transport to and from my storage space. The cart is also easy to collapse and put on my back seat if I'm taking it with me.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 PM

I may get one of those carts, thanks for the info. How big are the wheels? Do they fold up at all?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxla View Post
I may get one of those carts, thanks for the info. How big are the wheels? Do they fold up at all?
I think this is the one I have

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Roller-Mu.../dp/B0002E1I9G

The wheels are about 8" and the handles on either side do fold up. The cart also can expand/collapse depending on how much stuff you're trying to haul.

The only thing I have to say is that you need to watch the tire pressure and depending on how much you're using it, put air in the tires. I have to do it once a year or so.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

I've been on the fence about getting a cart for the longest time. Right now, I use two little fold-up aluminum handtrucks and bungee cords. They are compact and lightweight, and they allow me to go up and down stairs easily.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

I've been using a cart for over 20 years and haven't ever been able to do one trip. The hardware is the killer for me. I keep all of mine in a long PR bag.

I hear you about saving your back. I've struggled with Sciatica for a few years and want to avoid inflaming that again.

I have relatively light hardware but the hardware bag is still the heaviest thing I have to deal with. I use primarily Yamaha single brace stands so my Roc n Soc throne base is the only truly heavy duty stand.

Bermuda: can you give a run down of what stands you use for this setup? Are they flat based? Interested in the hi hat you went with especially but all of the individuals would be good to hear.

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

I got the cart Bermuda showed in the OP. It's pretty sturdy, and not too heavy to deal with when folded up.
I've seen it on Amazon for as low as $79, but I got the last one from a seller and it was just under $70.

The R8 cart Mr. Compactness linked looks nice, but doesn't seem to be any larger than the one I got. I like the wheels on it though.

Shedboyxx, the flat base hi-hat stand I have is the Ludwig Atlas Classic.
Very sturdy, comfortable to use, it's responsive and light weight. It doesn't sway when playing 15" hats with gusto, and it folds up and down pretty easily.

The Ludwig Classic FB cymbal stands are great too. Very sturdy, light, and for me the adjustable height rubber feet are genius.
Superb wing nuts on all these Ludwig stands as well (an overlooked part with some stands).

They seem to be as expensive as DW's 6000's, or maybe a little more. The DW flat base stands are great too, and they have memory locks which I use.
Gibraltar flat base stands are sturdy and work really well too. The Gibraltar Brake Tilter is very nice. Gibraltar stands have nice wing nuts that work smoothly as well.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

I have this one

Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 01-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Did you also look at the Rock-n-Roller cart? They look pretty much the same. Steel tubing and you have to spring the handles inward to fold them up.

I've been abusing a Rock-n-Roller cart for 6-7 years. Even used it to haul concrete bags into the backyard when I built my project studio. It's pretty rough looking now, but still works like a champ.

With the larger pneumatic wheels it's a bit bulky. Although I like the wheels when rolling over rough pavement. Especially when I played guitar and had to haul a still warm amplifier rattling the tubes and all over brick or cobblestone walkways.

I do wish someone would make a lighter aluminum one. Maybe not as much load capacity, I just want to do the one load for the drums thing. And also, some method of folding up the wheels so it's more compact in the car.

I got a Magna Cart FF Flatform cart awhile back which is small, light, and the fairly soft wheels fold up underneath making the thing about 3" thick folded up. There's enough room to get a 22" kick in a bag on the platform and stack the rest on top. Although you are going to want to steady the stack with a free hand.

But the other day I had some monitors on it and was pulling it up over a curb and some of the wheels folded up dropping the load. Now I don't trust them. It's rated for much more than I had piled on it. I guess if I kept to rolling drums up ramps and around sidewalks it would be okay. But having seen it go, I can't imagine trying to catch a stack of drums toppling onto the concrete.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I got the cart Bermuda showed in the OP. It's pretty sturdy, and not too heavy to deal with when folded up.
I've seen it on Amazon for as low as $79, but I got the last one from a seller and it was just under $70.

The R8 cart Mr. Compactness linked looks nice, but doesn't seem to be any larger than the one I got. I like the wheels on it though.
Judging by the look of what's on Bermuda's cart, assuming that's a 14" floor and 20" bass on there, the R8 may be a little longer. I can wedge my cymbal bag in front of the floor tom. The wheels are bigger though.