DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-17-2013, 04:05 PM

Default Blue Snowball USB Mic - best low budget solution!

Almost every time I log on I notice another post looking for a low budget microphone. I just thought I'd offer a suggestion.

This is a video I recorded using the Blue Snowball USB Microphone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3JDMouo-QM

Try to disregard some of the bad EQing, I've gotten better with the sound since then. The main point is that with this one microphone you can hear all of your instruments well enough to make a good recording. It comes with a very short tripod which is exactly what we need. Stick the microphone tilted slightly upward about a foot behind your throne and you'll be able to hear everything.

It has some pattern adjustments on the microphone, in the video I'm using the one that cuts down the input so the mic doesn't crack so near the instruments.

The best parts is that it's USB, no buying mixers or cords (or stands for that matter) because it's all right there.

I also use this every time I practice, monitoring myself through ear phones with earmuffs over them. This protects my ears as well.

You can buy it here: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blue-Sno...GP&cagpspn=pla
My Blog
Old 01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Blue Snowball USB Mic - best low budget solution!

Nice video.

What type of earphones do you use under the muffs? Do they have any noise cancellation?

This mic works well in higher volume settings with the pattern adjustments you mentioned?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Blue Snowball USB Mic - best low budget solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Nice video.

What type of earphones do you use under the muffs? Do they have any noise cancellation?

This mic works well in higher volume settings with the pattern adjustments you mentioned?
The ear phones are just normal ear buds, the kind that go into your ear canal. This type isolates a lot of sound as it is, with the muffs added it just about cuts out the natural drum set sound entirely. Routing it through the mic at a lower volume lets me play at normal volume and hear 1/4 of the volume in my ears.

If right next to the bass drum qualifies as a high volume setting then absolutely. Yes it has 3 settings on the back side. The first is the normal setting, the second cuts the input to about half volume. The third setting is the first setting but the microphone picks up the whole room instead of the direction its faced in.

I've used this microphone to also record marimba in a concert hall. It's a versatile little guy.
My Blog