DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 11-07-2012, 11:35 AM

Default Demon Drive vs Demon Chain

There is probably another thread like this, but I've not been successful in finding a thread which answers all my questions.

As you all probably know Pearl has released another Demon series pedal called Demon Chain and my question here is, what are the pros and cons of these two Demon series pedals?

I am thinking of buying one of them soon but can't really decide on what I want.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Demon Drive vs Demon Chain

The Demon chain is still very new and as yet I've not seen any reviews of it on the forum.

But effectively what you're asking is the pros and cons of a direct drive vs a chain or strap driven pedal. This topic has been covered extensively......regardless of brand, the principle doesn't change. Do a search and you'll find a ton of threads available.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
But effectively what you're asking is the pros and cons of a direct drive vs a chain or strap driven pedal.
Both yes and no.

For all I know, Pearl has come up with a new way to make a small part connecting the chains much better and the chain itself is much better on this specific model.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

I have a demon drive, and after using it for some time I realized its too honest (and too light for my taste), what your feet do is what the beater does, which is somewhat limiting. At first I put this down to direct drive, but I tried a single pedal demon drive and demon chain next to each other and I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Maybe I needed to try the double version. Or try them for a longer period. Not sure.

So I can't answer on any basis other than my preference for chain, but I prefer chain to direct drive from my experience with all pedals collectively.

They are awesome pedals but just make sure you're suited to them, as even with maxed out settings and wooden beaters I want something a bit heavier.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 AM

I was at the music store last night and tested both the Demon Drive and the Demon Chain. What I noticed about the Demon Chain was that it felt almost like the normal Pearl Eliminator (quite old model) i usually use but the Demon Drive gave me much more control.

Also, I've read alot about them and people say that the Demon Drive has a very light feel, almost too light. This wasn't correct in my case. The Demon Drive was way to light in the beginning, but after converting it to a longboard and playing with the settings on it, it gave me a pretty heavy and precise feel.

I am now the proud owner of a Pearl Demon Drive :D
Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 PM

"Too light" seems to be a common complaint with direct drive pedals. (demon drive/axis pedals). The chain might add a little bit of wait and it def. changes the feel.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 AM

ok, here goes it. i have recently purchased the demon chain ,and i previously tried the original demon drive aswell . just to give everyone the fyi on my condition . i am leagaly blind ,and have lost nearly all my vision . now to give my thoughts on these pedals. the demon drive was still a little too light for my taste. i did all the settings ,used long footboard ,light direct link , put beater stroke forward ,ect.. i didnt want to pay the 640.00 that ams wanted for it ,so i sent it back ,and went to phaze 2 of my great search. three weeks later i picked up the demon chain for 540.00 out the door at guitar center. my thoughts on it compaired to demon drive was, that although the chain version has a more resistance , it still didnt do the trick for me. my biggest complaint about the chain drive version was,that even though it felt a little better than the demon drive ,i still didnt care for the feel of the new smaller perfect circle cam on it. phaze 2 of my search ,and my final stop aswell ,was that i still wasnt getting that snap from the cams on the chain version. i took both my older power shifter eliminator cams off ,and swapped the new cams out for my older eliminator cams . the feel was just like i had imagined it would feel like . pretty much a combo of the tama power glide ,and the features of the new demon chain from pearl. this is how it worked for me , and it may ,or may not go the same way for everyone else . personally i think that pearl should just release a demon version with the older eliminator color coded cam system. i think that part of eliminator was not broken,so there obviously is still a marginal demand for this combo ,or modified version of this great pedal.thanks for all your time guys,and hopefully this kind of gives others a little more insight for this interesting fix for me .
Old 12-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

I sold my demon drives. Now they're someone elses problem ;).

Gonna get some dw9000's when funds permit.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM

I love my demon drive, its the only pedal that allows me to do my 16th beats and hold it down for over 10 seconds. Love the freedom it gives me and saves my ankles. But I agree it lacks a lot of power but I got over that quickly, I play jazz so I don't often need PPPOOOOWWWWEEEERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very happy with it :)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

stickman1973, nice review.

I was wondering about the chain version.
I use the Red cam on my Eliminator (singles), with a heavier spring (a DW Heavy). I rasied the foot board up a couple links (just inserted screws in chain higher) too, because I liked all the other settings, but, I wanted more angle on the foot board itself.

I like the Elim over other pedals because the feel from the PEARL linkage of the spring (holding piece on the side) is very even feeling (going back and forth) compared to other pedals I've used. It also offers whatever "resistance" I want to dial in through spring tension.

It seems like the cam on the DD is adjustable (up and down) to offer the shape of the Red cam is that correct, or is it pretty much one setting?

I like some of the features of the DD Chain, but I wouldn't spend the dough if it wasn't going to work as well as what I have now.

Any reason for me to change, other than having something "new"?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

The chain DD has a round cam (like the black cam for the Elims). Plenty of people have been modifying their direct drive Demon Drives with the sprocket from the Elims, that way you can use the chain and all the cams from the Eliminator, and have the long board option that the Demon offers.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlit View Post
The chain DD has a round cam (like the black cam for the Elims). Plenty of people have been modifying their direct drive Demon Drives with the sprocket from the Elims, that way you can use the chain and all the cams from the Eliminator, and have the long board option that the Demon offers.
Good to know. Thanks.
Might be something for Pearl to consider.
Having different Cam options is big plus IMO.