DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

Default Aquarian drum heads anyone?

I've been drumming for a solid 15 years. I listen to a lot of metal and hard rock and 80's hair metal/rock. I've always had trouble getting my toms to sound the way I want. I'm currently using Evans g2's with two e-rings on each Tom. As you can tell from using two e-rings, I'm not a fan of sustained ringing and overtones. Especially when kicking my kick drum, I hate to here the toms ringing. Drives me nuts. I know a lot of people are kinda against the sound I'm looking for, but I love the sound of deep bassy toms.
So, I heard that Aquarian makes some heads that are perfect for me. Problem is, I'm not sure which ones to get. I here the performance II's are good, but are they exactly what I'm looking for? For those of you that know the sound of Lars' toms on Metallica's black album, that's the sound for me. I understand that the mics and eq's play a big part in the recordings, but I'm looking for that sound unmicced. I do mic my toms at large venues with really great results, but I would like to capture that sound in a full acoustic environment. Any suggestions? Preferably from that guys that know of the sound I'm after...

Thanx
Old 10-08-2012, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Aquarian drum heads anyone?

EQ and mics DO play a huge role that cannot be ignored. But I guess you could get somewhat closer to the sound you're looking for if you buy the right heads.

I'm sure Tard will be here any minute and guide you through the world of Aquarian Drumheads :)

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 10-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Silver Member

I'm afraid you may have awakened the "Tard"
Old 10-09-2012, 01:33 AM

I use aquarian performance II's. When I 1st bought them, I was kind of sceptical. But if you're looking for that deep, low metal sound. Go for these. There's no ringing (cause i'm also a freak about ringing grrrr), you won't be dissapinted :)
Old 10-09-2012, 03:16 AM
Silver Member

Perfect. I like what I'm hearing. Megadeths drummer also used Aquarian heads on the Countdown to Extinction album which really has the Tom sound I've been craving. I'm not sure if he used the performance II tho, as the album was recorded in the very early 90's. that being said, are there any other Aquarian heads available that also put out that deep thuddy Tom Tom punch? He may have been using a form of hydrolic heads from Aquarian, but I find that hydrolic heads don't project enough. So, the performance II's ehh?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 AM
Silver Member

Performance II's are Aquarian's answer to the Remo Pinstripe/ Evans Hydraulic. You can also get them with power dots I believe.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Masters View Post
I'm afraid you may have awakened the "Tard"
Nah, I am an Aquarian guy but single ply for me, I like the extra warmth, tone, resonance, attack and sustain you can get from a single ply but here is a video of some of Aquarian's heads so you can decide what sound your after and which head selection will give it to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot31HbyOlWE

BTW that video is older and there are some newer heads and some name changes but I think you can get the picture plus here is the link to Aquarians cross reference page.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/pro...ide-comparison
Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

Tard, I'm enjoying my experience of testing out various Aquarian head combinations. Some really fly, some are in a similar space to others on the market. Got to say though, that Aquarian tom head comparison video has the most appalling audio quality. Why they'd release a video of such poor quality is beyond me. I've no issue with the lovely RP toms, I can even live with the close mic'ing (although I don't like it in the context of a video designed to show what something actually sounds like), but the audio capture itself is beyond terrible. Epic fail!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:38 AM
nhzoso

Evans has some new heads called Black Chrome that look great in person. They are essentially a 3-ply head so if that rings too much than maybe a towel is what your looking for.

They look great in person as well, I think it is 2- 7mil ply clear heads over a 7mil black chrome head. they look awesome, and I think are aimed at the heavey metal scene.

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/Black_Chrome.page
Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Evans has some new heads called Black Chrome that look great in person. They are essentially a 3-ply head so if that rings too much than maybe a towel is what your looking for.

They look great in person as well, I think it is 2- 7mil ply clear heads over a 7mil black chrome head. they look awesome, and I think are aimed at the heavey metal scene.

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/Black_Chrome.page
The Black Chromes are 2 ply heads, constructed of one transparent ply over a black ply. 7mil+7.5mil. I haven't played them personally but they seem to have a very dark, beefy sound with no overtones and very short sustain.

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 10-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

So, back to the Performance II, would the power dot heads benefit me more than the regular Performance II? How are the studio-x heads? Are they similar to the performance II?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

I would suggest that you take a look at the Force Ten heads, this is from the Aquarian website:

Force Ten™: Force Ten drumheads are molded with two plies of 10mil Full-Range drumhead film. Aquarian's advanced molding procedures make these heads a powerful and durable head for tom toms. Force Ten drumheads are designed to have more attack, depth and durability than conventional two ply tom tom heads. These tom tom heads can be used in a variety of musical settings but are particularly well suited for Hard Rock and Metal. Available Clear or Texture Coated.

I have them, and they have a nice "thuddy" sound.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

I love Aquarian heads.

But I like sustain and ring, so I use their Super 2 heads for the toms.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:35 PM
The Old Hyde

The studio x heads are great but being single py, they can dent. I played them for years without denting them and I'm a hard hitter. they really brought out the true sound of my drums. I am taking a leap of faith today and buying all new tom heads for my kit. I am going with the force 10 series. I havent played them but the decription sounds like what i am looking for and I trust Aquarian

.Force Ten™:
Force Ten drumheads are molded with two plies of 10mil Full-Range drumhead film. Aquarian's advanced molding procedures make these heads a powerful and durable head for tom toms. Force Ten drumheads are designed to have more attack, depth and durability than conventional two ply tom tom heads. These tom tom heads can be used in a variety of musical settings but are particularly well suited for Hard Rock and Metal. Available Clear or Texture Coated.

Characteristics: Clear or Coated
·: Two 10mil for maximun strengh
·: More Attack
·: More Sound and Volume
·: More Raw power
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Force 10 ehh? From the description, they sound right on the money for what I'm after. So, do u think they are better than the Performance II for my personal taste?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence R View Post
Force 10 ehh? From the description, they sound right on the money for what I'm after. So, do u think they are better than the Performance II for my personal taste?
i have one performance 2 and i like it a lot. I needed to replace my 16 and bought that instead of a studio x. same sound out of my drum as the studio x just more durable.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

From what the OP said Studio-X's and Super 2's are still too resonant. Studio-X is essentially the single ply Texture coated with an underside ring to control some of the resonance.

I like a lot of resonance so I really like the X's and S-2's above. I've used them both as well as the Texture coated single plies. FWIW: I just put another Modern Vintage on my Pork Pie 6 x 13 maple snare. I mention that to let you know I'm an Aquarian fan. However the latter head is not at all the kind you should get and I do use heads by all of the Big 3 currently.

I have coated Response 2's on my live kit's toms right now. I replaced the Super 2's that were on there for over a year and a half. The first thing I noticed was the 'thuddier' sound which i personally don't like. As with all Aquarian heads, it takes a few days of playing and tweaking (tuning) for them to reach their potential so they did improve. However I probably won't buy them again for my drums. They are supposed to be Aquarian's answer to the Evans G2 and Remo's Emperor but they feel thicker and more dampened to me than those others. As stated in Aquarian's website they do have more attack. Works OK for the louder stuff I do but not so much for the lighter more nuanced material. But that's just me. :)

I'm not familiar with Force Ten's but they do sound like the best match for the OP's sound specs.

I know we talk about this a lot on this forum but you should keep in mind that if you get the sound you really like behind the kit, especially when it comes to heavily controlled heads in loud, live music, the result may be undesireable out front where the listener is. Resonance dies a quick death in these situations the farther away you get from 'right on top' of the drums. You also have to be careful not to overcompensate if you discover this so you won't hurt yourself by overplaying (i.e. harder) a drum head.

In parting the ultimate in thud are the Evans Hydraulics. To reference Spinal Tap, "None more thuddy.." Has been for many years so if thud's what you want, that's a good place to start. You may want to try one on the middle tom you are using before throwing out cash for all toms.

HTH

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

Ok. I think I'm ganna go with the performance II heads. Sounds like the best choice for my application. Thanx for the info. And good point about just buying one for my main tom first to try it, as I have 4 toms plus my floor Tom. I'ld hate to be disappointed with them and be stuck with 5 heads. Also, I think I'll try the Impact series kick drum head with the wide foam ring. It seems like the right choice for me, unless, have you guys had bad experiences with that head? I see a lot of people on the site are using the super kick II. Any similarities between the two?

Thanx.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Ok. I think I'm ganna go with the performance II heads. Sounds like the best choice for my application. Thanx for the info. And good point about just buying one for my main tom first to try it, as I have 4 toms plus my floor Tom. I'ld hate to be disappointed with them and be stuck with 5 heads. Also, I think I'll try the Impact series kick drum head with the wide foam ring. It seems like the right choice for me, unless, have you guys had bad experiences with that head? I see a lot of people on the site are using the super kick II. Any similarities between the two?

Thanx.
I've only used Super Kick I, II & III (along with Regulator resonant heads) but the main similarities they would share with Impacts would be pre-dampening with underside rings. The Impact looks like it's more what you want as the ring should be wider than the Super Kick series.

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 10-10-2012, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

Nice! Now the worst part; how much is this ganna cost me LOL. 4 toms plus floor Tom- 8",10",12",13",16" and the 22" impact series kick drum head. Does Aquarian offer any value packs? Even if I was able to purchase a pack that included the 12",13", and 16", that wouldn't be so bad. Then, I can buy the rest seperatly.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Nice! Now the worst part; how much is this ganna cost me LOL. 4 toms plus floor Tom- 8",10",12",13",16" and the 22" impact series kick drum head. Does Aquarian offer any value packs? Even if I was able to purchase a pack that included the 12",13", and 16", that wouldn't be so bad. Then, I can buy the rest seperatly.

There are definitely pre packs but you'll have to look around for types of heads you want. I've only gotten pre packs for Super Kick/Regulator combos and Texture coated.

Here's one from Sam Ash. Look around there for others

http://www.samash.com/p/Aquarian_Per...Pack_-49991694

Jim Martin Music
Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Gold Member

music123.com usually has some multi packs but they have pretty good prices on singles anyway plus they have free shipping as well.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

I have tried a lot of Aquarian's heads over the years.
Right now I'm playing their new Force 10 heads on my toms.

The Force 10 is like a Remo Emperor X without a dot on it.
two 10 mil plys sandwiched together. But they don't choke and you can tune them real loose to get a nice "studio eq'ed" sound. They have a great response and last forever!

If your looking for that Black Album Lars sound I would try clear Performance II's without a dot, or Studio-X heads with a dot. Studio-X is a single ply head, so if you are a heavy hitter your going to rip through them quick without the dot.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

I just put a Texture Coated on the batter side of my 18" bass drum. With a little felt strip only on the batter side, I'm in heaven. If you are into a round jazz sound, it's a great head!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
For those of you that know the sound of Lars' toms on Metallica's black album, that's the sound for me
I wasn't there or anything - but from what I've seen of A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica Part One I believe that Lars had clear Remo Pinstripes on those toms with 2 or 3 additional muffling pads on each (depending on the size of the tom). If you watch the bit when they're recording The Unforgiven you can see the heads quite clearly. Indeed there's a bit when the snares disengage [I think - presumably owing to heavy rimshots and a loose strainer] and Lars is so pissed off he puts his stick right through the snare batter head - a coated Remo Controlled Sound by the look of it.

As I understand it Aquarian's Performance II is touted as an equivalent to the Pinstripe so I guess you're on the right track . . .
Old 10-17-2012, 02:47 PM
The Old Hyde

I use a super kick 2 on my main gigging kit. Very durable head. I dont use anything inside the drum, no pillow/blanket/dirty socks. I used to but when I heard someone play my kit from the audience, i realized the bass was not coming through.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:44 PM
The Old Hyde

Just received my force 10 heads for my kit. I am using them on a 13, 16, 18 this weekend and I will post how they sound/feel after that. First impression out of the box, they are very heavy and "thick". I recently bought new sticks, Ahead rock sticks and tried them for the first time last Saturday and they dented the crap out of my studio x heads. I love the sticks so theses heads should hold up Im guessing.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
Just received my force 10 heads for my kit. I am using them on a 13, 16, 18 this weekend and I will post how they sound/feel after that. First impression out of the box, they are very heavy and "thick". I recently bought new sticks, Ahead rock sticks and tried them for the first time last Saturday and they dented the crap out of my studio x heads. I love the sticks so theses heads should hold up Im guessing.
I use Ahead sticks and the Force 10's as well.
Granted I don't use a heavy rock stick, I use the 5AB Hybrid, but these heads do stand up to a good beating.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I use a super kick 2 on my main gigging kit. Very durable head. I dont use anything inside the drum, no pillow/blanket/dirty socks. I used to but when I heard someone play my kit from the audience, i realized the bass was not coming through.
and that's the performing world realisation that hits us all at some stage ;) Makes me want to shake the YT "tumble dryer" guys by the nuts sometimes. Ah, the pathetic smugness of age :(
Old 10-24-2012, 03:05 PM
The Old Hyde

Masonni I put them on last night and did a quick tune but was too lazy to set up my kit ( in the cases ready for sat.) Holy crap you would think heads this heavy and thick feeling off the drum would be terrible on it but boy do they sound great!!!
Andy, hahaha youtube tumble dryer hahahaha that image is killer!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Aquarian makes some great drumheads for sure. They are darker/warmer (depending on your ear) than Remos or Evans.

Performance II's are for sure the way to go for metal. Back when I had my '78 Tour Custom, I had Studio X-s on all of my toms except the low floor tom (a 15"). I put a Performance II on there for good measure (for low end thump). I got a nice studio dooom out of all the toms, and the lowest tom with the P2 had a studio thump. I remember thinking to myself, if anyone were looking for a deep, dead (in a good way) sounding tom, these would be the masterpiece. Mine had the power dot.

Glad to hear you made the right choice!

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 PM
The Old Hyde

Here is my kit ready to play with my new, untouched Force tens. These heads were great and didn't dent at all. I really pounded on them. They also sound great, I tighten them fairly tight when tuning, well above JAW and they have great tone.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusMySavior View Post
Aquarian makes some great drumheads for sure. They are darker/warmer (depending on your ear) than Remos or Evans
+ 1, I'm using Aquarian Texture Coated heads on my Gretsch Renown and I very pleased. They sound dark, warm and vintage.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:47 AM
Renegade

I'm don't know much about gear but is there any reason no one's mentioned Remo Powerstroke? I tried to settle down a ringy tom with one of those heads and it thudded like a dead cat dropped on a carpeted floor.

It was too dead for me but, if you prefer an engineer-friendly thud, I'm guessing that Powerstrokes could do the job you're asking.

Soundcloud stream
Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 AM

I also use Aquarian Performance II's, if your looking for a good metal sound, I really recommend these, they tune really well and get a nice, fat sound, the best thing: No ringing YAAAY!!!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member

I've been using the Performance II's for almost a year now and I have to say that I am very impressed with them. They actualy sound better after a couple months too. I have them on concert toms, 13 & 16, and I tune the 13 pretty high using 2.3mm triple flanged hoops. It holds the tuning really well and still sounds good. The floor has a thick warm sound with slight, pleasing overtones. Still hard to tune, but once you hit a sweet spot, it sounds really good. I am thinking of trying the Black Chromes out of curiosity, but I'm pretty happy with these.

I've tried a Texture coated Aquarian on the snare drum too and it is also a really nice sounding head. If I can't find a coated Amb, I'll use one of those heads no problem because it seems a bit more durable anyway.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Perfect. I like what I'm hearing. Megadeths drummer also used Aquarian heads on the Countdown to Extinction album which really has the Tom sound I've been craving. I'm not sure if he used the performance II tho, as the album was recorded in the very early 90's. that being said, are there any other Aquarian heads available that also put out that deep thuddy Tom Tom punch? He may have been using a form of hydrolic heads from Aquarian, but I find that hydrolic heads don't project enough. So, the performance II's ehh?
Nick was using the Studio-X heads around that time. I remember cause I was big into that album.

On another note, I'm also a recent Aquarian convert!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Here is my kit ready to play with my new, untouched Force tens. These heads were great and didn't dent at all. I really pounded on them. They also sound great, I tighten them fairly tight when tuning, well above JAW and they have great tone.
Why are the logos all out of whack? I like to place mine evenly.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I'm don't know much about gear but is there any reason no one's mentioned Remo Powerstroke? I tried to settle down a ringy tom with one of those heads and it thudded like a dead cat dropped on a carpeted floor.

It was too dead for me but, if you prefer an engineer-friendly thud, I'm guessing that Powerstrokes could do the job you're asking.
Nice description, lol.
I don't like Powerstrokes. Mainly for this reason.