DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 12-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Renegade

Default Re: Random Thoughts

John, I reckon you're right. I needed a more gradual thing with the nico gum - I would have lost my job otherwise.

Otto, when I get my first perfect rudiment done I'll think about the other 999 ...

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Good job, quitting smoking, Grea. Ya, I quit for 10 years. The way I quit was to chew the gum at work and use snuff in the evening (to save money on gum). I did that for a month, then went cold turkey. It took a year before I stopped thinking about them so much, but then again, I can say that about my divorce and ex-wife too. It took a year before the thought of her wasn't at the forefront of my mind all the time.

She is the reason I started again, I went to Wisconsin for work and started going to the bars every night and started smoking again hanging out with smokers, drinkers and pool players. I was so damn depressed. It was a coping mechanism, I guess. Now, four depressed years later, I'm ready to quit again, I think.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:23 AM
Renegade

Bummer Bon. I stopped for 2 years about a decade ago. I was undone by "It's been a while. Just one won't hurt".

Not wanting to get new age on you, but I think it might help you to think of it not as "She is the reason I started again", more like "My reaction to her is the reason I started again". I think you have to own your smoking before you can give it away. (That sounds cleverer in hindsight than it was meant to be).

If you're already depressed it's not a bad time to quit - as long as you don't tend towards extreme actions! After all, you're smoking and depressed, which means that you don't have to worry about quitting making you depressed.

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

I think you are right, Grea. It was my reaction to her. I own it. Thank you for your perspective.

As far as quitting, I know how hard it is, but I also know what it takes to quit. It takes years. It's not something a person just gets over so easily. Maybe for some it is easy, and I applaud you, whomever you are. I'm doing OK now, not so much depressed anymore. It's mostly commuting in traffic that gets me down lately, and consequently where I do most of my smoking. But, I also smoke at the studio a lot too when the good times are happening. All in all, it's just a mental crutch.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Renegade

Commuting is a drag, no doubt. Playing patterns on the dash can help keep your hands occupied. Practising finding harmony lines for songs on the radio can keep the mouth occupied.

At home I'm doing heaps more playing on the pad and drinking water and herbal tea.

Yep, for some of us it's a hard thing to do and when I've gotten miserable when quitting in the past I would get to the point where I didn't care any more and started up again. I think I've been through my dark night of the soul with quitting nico now ... now it's more a longer term beige twilight lol

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Commuting is a drag, no doubt. Playing patterns on the dash can help keep your hands occupied. Practising finding harmony lines for songs on the radio can keep the mouth occupied.

At home I'm doing heaps more playing on the pad and drinking water and herbal tea.

Yep, for some of us it's a hard thing to do and when I've gotten miserable when quitting in the past I would get to the point where I didn't care any more and started up again. I think I've been through my dark night of the soul with quitting nico now ... now it's more a longer term beige twilight lol
Ya, I need to bring some better music with me in the car. That's about all there is to do. That, or learn Spanish, lol.

I think I'll be quitting again here soon. Looking forward to that beige twilight again. ;)
Old 12-25-2012, 01:15 PM

i saw Santa last night. he was looking in the refrigerator.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:31 AM
Platinum Member

I roasted a duck tonight, for Christmas dinner. It's the first time I've done that, cooked a duck, and it came out perfect, crispy skin and all.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

I was thinking duck,but went with a prime rib roast,medium rare with baked potato and sauted spinach.A bottle of Cabernet Sav and It was all to the mustard.:)

Steve B
Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 AM

Unless life hands you sugar and water? Your lemonade is going to suck :)

How's that for random
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichArab View Post
Unless life hands you sugar and water? Your lemonade is going to suck :)

How's that for random
Excellent point. I've never liked that saying.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Is it better to talk stupidly about intelligent things...

Or to talk intelligently about stupid things...

?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 AM
Gold Member

..or stupid about stupid things and intelligent about...ohh...something shiney...<<runs away after the shiney thing>>
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post

?
Either way you're ending up in stupidity :).
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 AM
Administrator

I would avoid stupidity at all costs since it has no redeeming value at all. Just like this forum, Nothing but intelligent people speaking of intelligent things.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I would avoid stupidity at all costs since it has no redeeming value at all. Just like this forum, Nothing but intelligent people speaking of intelligent things.
wait....you lost me on that one......come again? LOL
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Administrator

A 15-year-old is suing the Icelandic state for the right to legally use the name given to her by her mother. The problem? Blaer, which means "light breeze" in Icelandic, is not on a list approved by the government.
Like a handful of other countries, including Germany and Denmark, Iceland has official rules about what a baby can be named. In a country comfortable with a firm state role, most people don't question the Personal Names Register, a list of 1,712 male names and 1,853 female names that fit Icelandic grammar and pronunciation rules and that officials maintain will protect children from embarrassment. Parents can take from the list or apply to a special committee that has the power to say yea or nay.

Really, and people want to talk about Gun Control. What is up with this? Is this from the year 1200?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Mr.Mayor...just take a look at the French language laws in cities like Quebec and Montreal where its the law that signage must be in French.

There was a case a while back where a shop was being inspected by the local "sign police".During the inspection,the inspector took a photo of a post it sign on a piece of banana bread in a refrigerator that was wrtten in English.

This was published in the Global news as well as other news sources.

.You just can't make this stuff up.

Steve B
Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Mrs. con struct and I watched a performance by the Dropkick Murphys the other night. What a great band, and what great show they put on. I've always liked their Pougish "Shipping Up to Boston," and now I find that these guys can really play and write good songs. Good players, good music, how can you go wrong?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
A 15-year-old is suing the Icelandic state for the right to legally use the name given to her by her mother. The problem? Blaer, which means "light breeze" in Icelandic, is not on a list approved by the government.
Like a handful of other countries, including Germany and Denmark, Iceland has official rules about what a baby can be named. In a country comfortable with a firm state role, most people don't question the Personal Names Register, a list of 1,712 male names and 1,853 female names that fit Icelandic grammar and pronunciation rules and that officials maintain will protect children from embarrassment. Parents can take from the list or apply to a special committee that has the power to say yea or nay.

Really, and people want to talk about Gun Control. What is up with this? Is this from the year 1200?
I've been to Iceland, and I couldn't pronounce any of the names. Good thing they understand English.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Im proud to be born in a country where everyone can be named what they want...but a bit ashamed that creativity levels land most in the Robert range. (no offence to the other Roberts out there : )
Old 01-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

I was at a series of seminars for work today, and in the last one, new technology was discussed, and suddenly it was like a scene from a sci-fi convention with people talking about virtual reality, augmented reality, having a computer in your glasses, and all this wild stuff, but not in a "what if" context, but in a "this is what is happening now" context.

And of course, I'm casually sitting there playing drums in my head.

Which made me think, is drumming about to become old fashion?

We already have protools and the like that can take a bad drum performance and move notes around to make it sound "good". But as now, it usually takes someone who knows that they're doing.

How long until it's just an iphone style app that just it for you?

And we already see ads on TV for smart phones that let you instantly photo shop style multiple photos together to make one seamless "perfect" photo.

So how long until you don't have to play a drums well, you just set up the video camera of yourself, record your video of you playing drums, run it through an app, and it autocorrects both the audio and video so every post to youtube is perfect? So that every drum cover appears to be a flawless rendition of the original, even if it was actually sloppy as hell?

Sound absolutely bats**t crazy, but so does 90% of new technology that is coming out.

Which only lead me to wonder, why do we pay thousands of dollars for a nice round wood drums, when a app that costs a fraction of that can make the same sound?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I was at a series of seminars for work today, and in the last one, new technology was discussed, and suddenly it was like a scene from a sci-fi convention with people talking about virtual reality, augmented reality, having a computer in your glasses, and all this wild stuff, but not in a "what if" context, but in a "this is what is happening now" context.

And of course, I'm casually sitting there playing drums in my head.

Which made me think, is drumming about to become old fashion?

We already have protools and the like that can take a bad drum performance and move notes around to make it sound "good". But as now, it usually takes someone who knows that they're doing.

How long until it's just an iphone style app that just it for you?

And we already see ads on TV for smart phones that let you instantly photo shop style multiple photos together to make one seamless "perfect" photo.

So how long until you don't have to play a drums well, you just set up the video camera of yourself, record your video of you playing drums, run it through an app, and it autocorrects both the audio and video so every post to youtube is perfect? So that every drum cover appears to be a flawless rendition of the original, even if it was actually sloppy as hell?

Sound absolutely bats**t crazy, but so does 90% of new technology that is coming out.

Which only lead me to wonder, why do we pay thousands of dollars for a nice round wood drums, when a app that costs a fraction of that can make the same sound?

The same can be said for any instrument including guitars and even vocals thanks to auto-tuning.

I honestly think that a performance with a big kit will never go out of style (at least not any time soon) because of the same reason a guitarist doesn't play guitar on his iPad or why a pianist doesn't use MorphWiz exclusively, during a performance or in the studio, the real thing creates an atmosphere and vibe that can't be replicated by computer (easily), but I think this is especially true for live performances where stage presence accounts for much more than people think.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post

Oooh, that's opening up a can of worms. Of course, it can't make the same sound, but its getting closer. Thankfully, we hear with more than just our ears, & with an acoustic instrument, context is everything, so I think we're safe enough yet. I was thinking of a real people vs. solo battery powered convenience sex on tap analogy, but thought better of it ;)
Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post

?
I'll let you know Henri when i can do either of them well.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGinCT View Post
The same can be said for any instrument including guitars and even vocals thanks to auto-tuning.
Quite true. I spent a lot of my time using computers to replicate a full orchestra, and I'm not classically trained on any orchestra instrument.

I can complain about drum machines all day, but in the end of the day, I'm doing to the same thing to violin, cello, viola, etc players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGinCT View Post
I honestly think that a performance with a big kit will never go out of style (at least not any time soon) because of the same reason a guitarist doesn't play guitar on his iPad or why a pianist doesn't use MorphWiz exclusively, during a performance or in the studio, the real thing creates an atmosphere and vibe that can't be replicated by computer (easily), but I think this is especially true for live performances where stage presence accounts for much more than people think.
Agree, but I was (in my mind) referencing the Youtube thread where we discussed people who post tons of videos to youtube without necessarily the desire to play live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Oooh, that's opening up a can of worms. Of course, it can't make the same sound, but its getting closer. Thankfully, we hear with more than just our ears, & with an acoustic instrument, context is everything, so I think we're safe enough yet. I was thinking of a real people vs. solo battery powered convenience sex on tap analogy, but thought better of it ;)
I know, I just caught the irony of myself listening to guys talking like an episode of the Big Bang Theory about technology so advanced that I felt like an Amish person, and yet in the back of my head I'm fantasizing about new round pieces of wood. LOL.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Renegade

Computers mess with our heads. I have a USB cassette capture gadget for making digital copies of old cassettes. But my Windows 7 PC doesn't recognise it. After trying multiple things I Googled the issue. I ran into this thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...b-863f92f5595f

After trying the first few suggestions and drawing blanks I was amazed at some of the solutions - one included a few hundred lines of code! This quote made me think that this is how computers will take over the world ...

"I then checked in Disk management, and I can find the Device in Disk 6 but it does not have any driver letter attached to it. If I Right Click and choose the option to change Drive Letter and Path, I get an error message, which reads: The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer. (I have done that but it doesn't help)

If I try to Format the disk/flash drive, I get the following message: An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. No options in the Blue Box area are working.

If I click in the Disk 6 Box, it allows me to see the properties and confirms all is working fine but it will not allow me to make any changes to the drives letters. Now this happens on my factory Win 7 desktop, if I plug the same device in to my laptop it works fine, no issues at all. In the Disk Management section it says: Disk 6- Removable, Online - and size of the disk. The issue is that this is a problem with any external hard drive I connect to my desktop, with very few exceptions. Please anybody any advice to resolve this problem?
"

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Computers mess with our heads. I have a USB cassette capture gadget for making digital copies of old cassettes. But my Windows 7 PC doesn't recognise it. After trying multiple things I Googled the issue. I ran into this thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...b-863f92f5595f

After trying the first few suggestions and drawing blanks I was amazed at some of the solutions - one included a few hundred lines of code! This quote made me think that this is how computers will take over the world ...

"I then checked in Disk management, and I can find the Device in Disk 6 but it does not have any driver letter attached to it. If I Right Click and choose the option to change Drive Letter and Path, I get an error message, which reads: The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer. (I have done that but it doesn't help)

If I try to Format the disk/flash drive, I get the following message: An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. No options in the Blue Box area are working.

If I click in the Disk 6 Box, it allows me to see the properties and confirms all is working fine but it will not allow me to make any changes to the drives letters. Now this happens on my factory Win 7 desktop, if I plug the same device in to my laptop it works fine, no issues at all. In the Disk Management section it says: Disk 6- Removable, Online - and size of the disk. The issue is that this is a problem with any external hard drive I connect to my desktop, with very few exceptions. Please anybody any advice to resolve this problem?
"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT4txuz5Mas
Old 01-15-2013, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

You folks in the cold weather regions at least have a heater and a nice warm house. I live in California and we don't have a heater in this house (or an air conditioner for that matter), and you know what? It is damn cold here. We don't have a heater at the studio either. Usually it's nice enough here, but the most extreme temperature conditions, hot or cold, I've experienced right here in California.

Coldest night of my life was my first night in March working at Yosemite in 1995. It was my birthday and my family was with me. I checked into my tent cabin, got some blankets, two of them, and went to dinner with my family. I should have stuck around the camp to get the maintenance guy to turn on my heat, but my sister had her kids with her getting restless. During dinner it began to snow so we hurried up, finished dinner, and drove me back to the camp. Luckily my sister gave me one more blanket from her car. They took off down the road and barely made it out of the valley because the snow was piling up quick. I was left with 3 blankets and a very cold night ahead of me. That's a kind of cold I'll never forget. I probably would have frozen if it hadn't been for that extra blanket my sister gave me.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Renegade

http://gizmodo.com/5976024/the-new-b...-to-comprehend
The structure is a large quasar group—a collection of supermassive black holes which form a single, massive structure—and it is huge. It's made up of seventy-three quasars, and is over four billion light-years across at its widest point. For some perspective, that distance is 1,600 times larger than the distance between our galaxy, the Milky Way, and its nearest neighbour, the Andromeda Galaxy.
I'm wondering how you could have a collection of black holes. Wouldn't they just become one extra big black hole?

Space is the place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwEagL1zenI

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, it's very cold here in "sunny Los Angeles".

My pool was frozen over this morning. That has never happened.

And what people who don't live here don't realize when we complain about extreme temperatures is the houses and buildings here are not built with this level of cold in mind. Most houses have minimal insulation and central heat is not something you find everywhere.

My house, thankfully, does have central heat, but the main bathroom, the laundry room and my music studio are not connected to it.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Renegade

In Oz it's been the heat. A number of heat records broken last week and tons of bush fires.

We also get a similar situation in Sydney where houses are built for the warm weather, which can be nasty in winter - not frozen swimming pool nasty, but ... I have a German friend who says she's tended to be colder during winter in Sydney than in Germany because houses are often quite open and there's very little central heating here.

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

In the northeast US we get plenty of cold and heat and high humidity to boot.I have a furnace and air conditioning,along with lots of fans.

Naturally the cost of electricity goes up in the summer,and home heating oil goes up in the winter.Gotta love the American business model.I haven't had to burn any of my drums yet to stay warm .On really cold nights,I may have to toss the odd MIJ tom on the fire:)

Pol.....watch out for those wildfires.I've read a few articles that say it's really bad in some areas,and some are people losing everything.

To all my friends in Oz.......stay safe.

Steve B
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Ich han eifach grad lust, öppis uf schwizerdütsch zrschribe. Wer verstahts?

LOL!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member

So, the Australian Open is underway. It's my favorite tennis tournament of the year. I love the fact that I'm sitting in sub-freezing temperatures while people are playing tennis in 100F heat in another part of the world. I also love being able to watch tennis at 4:00 AM eastern time.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:18 AM
Renegade

Thanks Steve. Touch wood, the fires are confined to country areas and I'm in the city. Fortunately the heat wave is subsiding, though some fires are still going.

Matthias, Google Translate can't touch your text.

Larry, when the Olympics and World Cup are on, it's always in the wee hours of the morning over here. Welcome to my world!

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Ich han eifach grad lust, öppis uf schwizerdütsch zrschribe. Wer verstahts?

LOL!
this guy <== (mostly)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Renegade

Ich han eifach grad lust,
I have consumed a degree of loss

öppis uf schwizerdütsch zrschribe.
something about Swiss german

Wer verstahts?
You understand?

That makes sense!

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
So, the Australian Open is underway. It's my favorite tennis tournament of the year.
Go Roger!!

Anon: Google didn't get the first sentence right I guess. You're very right it's Swiss German,
and since it's rather a dialect than a "real" language, and we don't even have grammatical
or orthographical rules, poor internet translation would have a hard time understanding :).
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Anon: Google didn't get the first sentence right I guess.
Google got "I han eifach degree of loss,"

Soundcloud stream