Default Concert Behavior

Tell me what you think.

http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_ne...-freebird?lite

From MSNBC
Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Concert Behavior

Agree on all of them.

The smart phone is the worst thing to happen to the concert going experience.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

I like it! Great list!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Agreed....I'd like to add....."Play Wipe out",and the jerk who stands on their seat,or the drunk girlfriend who is sitting on her equally drunk boyfriend shoulders,and screams all night......I mean just screams.

People like that should be covered in beef gravy and locked in a room with a pair of starving wolverines, that are high on angel dust.

Steve B
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post

People like that should be covered in beef gravy and locked in a room with a pair of starving wolverines, that are high on angel dust.

Steve B
Cool. I never ever thought of that one.

I agree with all those points. They never used to allow recording devices in concerts. They should have kept that rule - no iphones. Problem is, some bands love the exposure now.

Who the hell needs to text or update facebook at a show? get the F&#k outta here!! Give your ticket to somebody who is into the music.

Our culture has become so "hey look at me, I was there" its ridiculous. These little toys are like a teat...for unattentive adults.

Rant over.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Wow. First top 10 list I've agreed with 100%

Going to the movies is ruined too.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Should also include people talking and getting in and out of their seats during the opening act. As if the opening act is an excuse to socialize until the main act appears.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 PM
Silver Member

"to the guy screaming for a super obscure B-side from 15 years ago? Nobody thinks you're cool"

I think they should print that on all concert tickets. A year or two ago Biffy Clyro released a live album/concert film package called Revolutions // Live at Wembley. I managed to get tickets to see a screening of the film in Leicester Square [London] which the band attended for a brief Q&A with the fans and they played a short stripped-down set (acoustic guitar, cajon etc). As it happens they did play a couple of B-sides from singles taken from their first album: songs which the Biffier-Than-Thou fans are always complaining they have forsaken in favour of their more recent post-Puzzle catalogue.

When I got home I went on to one of their fan pages to just post a message saying thanks and well played etc when I saw a comment from some nobber who was complaining that not enough people were singing along to the old B-sides.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Tempered Clavier View Post
"to the guy screaming for a super obscure B-side from 15 years ago? Nobody thinks you're cool"
Aw man, I was that guy at Kyuss Lives...
Old 01-16-2013, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

Like it.

Although a couple of small amendments if I may.

1. Sitting at a rock concert is just not on......period. It's a rock show FFS!!. If you want to sit, try the opera......or at the very least, your nearest cabaret lounge.

2. Girls on boyfriends shoulders not always bad in every case. Usually, yes, I'll agree. But topless girls on boyfriends shoulder. Not only acceptable, but strongly encouraged.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

I thought this might be vaguely appropriate. My favourite film critic giving a list of things not to do at the cinema:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermo...f_conduct.html
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Weird Al's audiences are well-behaved and attentive, within the context of the show. But iPhones abound, and we even had a song to that effect where everyone in the audience would hold up their phones. About 2 years ago, way in the back of the audience at a show in Sydney, I saw an iPad being held up!

The fact that shows were being recorded was initially a concern, but the quality and size renders such recordings useless in terms of commercial value, and poses little threat of lost revenue. If somebody genuinely prefers to watch distorted sounding shaky clips on YouTube, perhaps they're better off staying home anyway.

We never hear "Freebird", we're more likely to hear "Freberg!" :)

Bermuda
Old 01-16-2013, 01:53 AM
Renegade

Good list, except for #10 which is the wrong way around. If I wanted to dance I'd go to a dancing place. It's a concert.

If I pay big bucks to see a concert I don't want to be forced to my feet because some hyperactive brain-dead bimbos and himbos want to jump around. I don't yell "sit down" but I'm rooting for anyone who does.

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 AM
Platinum Member

This is all the fault of facebook. That website will have a huge hand in the un-doing of human reign on this earth. We need to leave warnings, so that after we're gone, dolphinbook.com doesn't repeat the same cycle and lead to another apocalypse.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
This is all the fault of facebook. That website will have a huge hand in the un-doing of human reign on this earth. We need to leave warnings, so that after we're gone, dolphinbook.com doesn't repeat the same cycle and lead to another apocalypse.
So long and thanks for all the fish.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

This list is exactly why I don't go to many concerts anymore and just watch bands locally. And say what you will about classical music, but you don't have most of these issues when you go see the philharmonic play.

One behavior that really irritates me is during kid's recitals, the parents watch until their kid performs, then they get up and leave right after they are finished. Usually this takes place right as my kid is doing their part on stage. These parents can't sit still until there is a break in action or until the end?

Between recitals and graduation ceremonies, parents can't seem to keep their mouths shut. I am so sick of parents shouting, hooting and hollering during these events. Okay, you are proud of your kid. Do we need 15 relatives shouting at the top of their lungs when theire kid performs or is announced? At my daughter's high school graduation last year, some idiot had an air horn that he kept blasting when any kid he knew was announced. I almost shoved that air horn where the sun don't shine!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
This list is exactly why I don't go to many concerts anymore and just watch bands locally. And say what you will about classical music, but you don't have most of these issues when you go see the philharmonic play.

One behavior that really irritates me is during kid's recitals, the parents watch until their kid performs, then they get up and leave right after they are finished. Usually this takes place right as my kid is doing their part on stage. These parents can't sit still until there is a break in action or until the end?

Between recitals and graduation ceremonies, parents can't seem to keep their mouths shut. I am so sick of parents shouting, hooting and hollering during these events. Okay, you are proud of your kid. Do we need 15 relatives shouting at the top of their lungs when theire kid performs or is announced? At my daughter's high school graduation last year, some idiot had an air horn that he kept blasting when any kid he knew was announced. I almost shoved that air horn where the sun don't shine!
Agree totally. Parents just keep quiet. You can be proud of your child by just sitting there and keeping the nice thoughts to yourself. No need to make an ass of yourself and ruin everyone else's experience.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM

Freebird!!!!!!!!!! lol I hate that song because of that

I imagine this list was made by a shorter person because I rarely have problems seeing over people and Im only 6'. I mostly hate smartphones and after recording 1 band I realized I hadn't seen anything and stopped, but sometimes its nice to catch something that happened at the show when someone else recorded it for you and if everyone stopped it would be gone. Also the smartphone has become the new lighter though its nowhere near as cool when 10000 people hold up phones.

Also if someone is bothering you in general admission just move. As far as going to the front its more complicated, somewhere usually about 1/3 of the way through the crowd people start to defend their spots thats when you stop being a douche and chill but the people at the back don't care and got dragged there usually.

Its rock and roll if it were orderly and controlled it would just be pop.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

90% of the hand-held filming of concerts on Youtube is total garbage. It's either blurry, unstable, dark, or the sound is terrible, Sometimes all of the above.

Pictures are also of poor quality, usually due to the low lighting and attempted zooming in to see the stage area from a distance.

I can't count the number of times people have posted FB pics from a concert they attended. They say it was Aerosmith, but it could have been Tony Orlando for all I could tell.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeplyTuna View Post
Aw man, I was that guy at Kyuss Lives...
Aren't they all obscure B-Sides? Except maybe Thong Song and Demon Cleaner... Damnit.. Now I'm doing it.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

fighting often breaks out at gigs i frequent, i think i go to the wrong places. however there is always some guy filming the whole gig on his phone (to upload to youtube to prove he was there i expect). it's usually he who ends up getting destroyed by some ape with a nose ring.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

Wow great list.

I would also like to add - I hate those people who elbow and punch other people for being accidentally pushed into them near the front.

My God! It's a concert and if you wanted to be near the front you should be prepared for all of the pushing and shoving that goes on.

I've had sweaty armpits in my face, people resting their arms on my back, I've been lifted off the floor and crushed up against someone and couldn't move etc... and I never lose my cool with stuff like that. If you want the best position, you have to face the consequences of being there.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofgrace View Post
90% of the hand-held filming of concerts on Youtube is total garbage. It's either blurry, unstable, dark, or the sound is terrible, Sometimes all of the above.

Pictures are also of poor quality, usually due to the low lighting and attempted zooming in to see the stage area from a distance.

I can't count the number of times people have posted FB pics from a concert they attended. They say it was Aerosmith, but it could have been Tony Orlando for all I could tell.
Did you say Tony Angelino....

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....04789442895943
Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Good list, except for #10 which is the wrong way around. If I wanted to dance I'd go to a dancing place. It's a concert.

If I pay big bucks to see a concert I don't want to be forced to my feet because some hyperactive brain-dead bimbos and himbos want to jump around. I don't yell "sit down" but I'm rooting for anyone who does.
There's a very simple solution to this: Promoters should STOP PUTTING ON ROCK SHOWS IN SEATED VENUES!

I've started to avoid rock concerts in seated venues, simply because the crowd energy is basically completely gone, which means that I might as well sit at home and listen to the CD. Towards the end, the front few rows might get on their feet, which may or may not cause a few more people further back to stand up, but all in all it's a very dull experience. I dread the day it's my turn to attempt to put on an energetic live show for a seated crowd.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
There's a very simple solution to this: Promoters should STOP PUTTING ON ROCK SHOWS IN SEATED VENUES!

I've started to avoid rock concerts in seated venues, simply because the crowd energy is basically completely gone, which means that I might as well sit at home and listen to the CD.
You can type in capital letters, luv - even bold them - but economics says that ain't gunna happen. Still, I agree - seeing big shows from a distance is less of a buzz than seeing a good pub band.

On the other hand, when Steely Dan played the Entertainment Centre the boomy acoustics had them sounding like a rock group, which didn't present the music to best advantage IMO, and I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

Trouble is, if you can fill the biggest venue it can't be easy to knock back the extra $$ in order to play a smaller, more fun one. When you get there, just remember that they're dancing on the inside :)

Soundcloud stream
Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Some of the best concerts I've ever been to were in a no seat smaller venue.In the summer of 69,The New York State pavillion in the old worlds fair grounds in Queens NY,started doing one price concerts.(Thats the building in the movie "Men in Black",where the top of the building changes into a spaceship)

To name a few I saw some new and up and comming bands like Ten Years After,Santana,Paul Butterfield Blues Band,and Zepplin.

There were NO seats in the round building as well as most of the building being open,and just a roof.The acoustics were similar to an open air concert .No place to sit but the floor.Great shows.

Steve B
Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 PM

Funny I've only been to one seated concert but I had a good experience. But that's only because it was a three story arena so we had no one near us. Non seated is def the way to go thought. Heaps more energy.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Pioneer Member

Now that I’ve seen that list, I’m much more likely to shout “Feebird” at every opportunity. (While secretly hoping to never hear that song again.)

And about yelling for obscure songs. It’s a bonding moment. Other uber-fans get to realize they’re not alone, and the artist gets to hear that some people like even their weird stuff.

A while back I filmed Gary Husband playing with Alan Holdsworth. I sent Gary a link to it on Youtube, and he seemed quite pleased with it.

Here’s a related quiz: In This Is Spinal Tap, can anybody tell me in what scene an audience member shouts out “play ‘Stonehenge’!”?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

My brain is telling me it's during 'Rock and Roll Creation'. It's definitely before they play Stonehenge, which puts 'Jazz Odyssey' out of the equation.

I'm surprised I don't just 'know' but I haven't seen the film in a while...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
So long and thanks for all the fish.

.............................. 42
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Gold Member

The 2 things I hate the most:

1. Drunk people chatting/screaming while you play low-volume parts of a song.

2. Drunk people that arrive late and complain. Saying that it should be cheaper, because it's only 1 am and the band is (already) finished.

I had to publicly humiliate this one lady, because she wouldn't get off my back about how angry she was that the band was already finished and that we didn't play cotton fields.
She was constantly yapping and even stood beside the van we were loading our equipment into.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:14 PM

Guess I'm just old fashioned. Don't like general admission. (People have been killed rushing into general admission shows.) I like to get there just before the show and go to my reserved seat. No standing in line for a couple hours just to be sure to get a good place to stand.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipotle View Post
Guess I'm just old fashioned. Don't like general admission. (People have been killed rushing into general admission shows.) I like to get there just before the show and go to my reserved seat. No standing in line for a couple hours just to be sure to get a good place to stand.
I like when they offer both. For some shows I want to be "down in the pit" of GA... For others, I'd rather have a seat and relax. Depends on the show.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:50 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipotle View Post
Ditto. Tidy. Organised. Relaxed. Civilised. Mellow. That's how I like it these days. Trouble is, those are the gigs that a lot of women go to, which means long toilet queues at intermission. Utopia does not exist.

I would love for King Crimson (or some other top quality nerd band) to come out to Sydney. It would almost be worth admission to waltz into the Ladies room at half time and laugh at the huge queue outside the Gents ;-)

Soundcloud stream
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
topless girls on boyfriends shoulder. Not only acceptable, but strongly encouraged.
Yes :) If they're capable of being hoisted onto said boyfriend's shoulders, that excludes PESH's, so I can "tolerate" that for an hour or two ;) ;) ;)
Old 03-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Ditto. Tidy. Organised. Relaxed. Civilised. Mellow. That's how I like it these days. Trouble is, those are the gigs that a lot of women go to, which means long toilet queues at intermission. Utopia does not exist.

I would love for King Crimson (or some other top quality nerd band) to come out to Sydney. It would almost be worth admission to waltz into the Ladies room at half time and laugh at the huge queue outside the Gents ;-)
Is this country it is not uncommon for one of the female persuasion to waltz into the mens facility when the lines are long. This is usually sporting events where the beer flows rapidly