DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-21-2012, 04:47 AM

Default Recent Pro Mark Quality?

Anyone else having recent problems with pro mark nylon tips?

They apparently just don't make em like they used to? I use Pro Mark sticks and Evans heads exclusively which are both part of the reputable D'Addario family, so I expect they will make it right. However I recently bought a brick of sticks and have lost two in first six to similar tip failures.

Social media & drum forums such as this one are great outlets for positive or negative feedback based on how manufacturers handle these situations. I have contacted Pro Mark for a resolution and will post the results.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:50 AM
audiotech

Default Re: Recent Pro Mark Quality?

When I played nylon tips, once in a while a tip would come completely off the stick, but in one piece. I never had a nylon tip split like that.

Dennis
Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Wow, this is the first time I've ever seen anything like this. Never considered something like this happening before! Any chance the others may not be like this? Hopefully it's just these two.

I've been using Pro Mark sticks for about a year now. Wooden tips, though, but still, they seem solid. And since I've started using S-Hoops, I haven't broken one.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 PM

I dont play nylon tip but I am having quality issues with pro mark recently though. I bought a brick of pro mark millennium II 5b and the first two pairs both had a snick snap after only a few hours of playing. The other paris are not not snapping but the tips are shredding apart fast. I don't know if I got a bad brick cause I never used pro mark before but lets say these are not leaving a good impression on me to want to buy again.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:11 PM

huskytool- I am so sorry for the issues with the sticks. I had reached out to you on facebook but have not received a response. I would be happy to get you new replacements for the damaged sticks please email me you information Robert.caniglia@daddario.com

412drummer- How many pairs do you have of the 5Bs? I would also like to replace your defective pairs. We have gone through many manufacturing changes in the last year and unfortunately there is still old stock out in the world. You can email me your contact info for replacements. Robert.caniglia@daddario.com
Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddariopercussion View Post
I would be happy...
Dude, you’re getting paid to surf Drummerworld?! Nice gig!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
huskytool- I am so sorry for the issues with the sticks. I had reached out to you on facebook but have not received a response. I would be happy to get you new replacements for the damaged sticks please email me you information Robert.caniglia@daddario.com

412drummer- How many pairs do you have of the 5Bs? I would also like to replace your defective pairs. We have gone through many manufacturing changes in the last year and unfortunately there is still old stock out in the world. You can email me your contact info for replacements. Robert.caniglia@daddario.com
The brick had 4 pairs in it.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:10 AM

Rob, I sent you an email. Thank you for the quick reply it says a great deal about the companies you represent.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:07 AM
audiotech

Quote:

We have gone through many manufacturing changes in the last year and unfortunately there is still old stock out in the world.
Maybe it's the "new" stock that they're having issues with, lol. I use a variety of Pro Mark sticks from a year or two ago and they're fine. What has the company done recently to improve their design?

Dennis
Old 12-22-2012, 03:27 AM
Gold Member

I have had tip problems of one kind or another with just about everything out there except Vic Firths.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
When I played nylon tips, once in a while a tip would come completely off the stick, but in one piece. I never had a nylon tip split like that.

Dennis
Ya, never seen that before. I went to buy a couple pairs and had to sort through a few sticks and roll them because there were so many bananas. I asked for a VF pair, rolled the first pair....perfect. Sorry, Pro-Mark. Lucky for them I like the way PM's feel in my hand, but lately I'm liking those VF sticks too.

For the record, I didn't have a problem with my sticks, 747 nylons, and they are doing fine. I just have to QC the sticks before I buy them, but I do this anyway. I don't buy bricks like you other guys.

Last edited by Midnite Zephyr; 12-22-2012 at 05:52 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 AM

Rob I also sent you a message. thanks for the response.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Silver Member

It's always good to note when a manufacturer reaches out in an effort to make things right.

Human nature is such that we are quicker (and more passionate) to complain about negative experiences, especially on the somewhat anonymous internet.

When we've talked about bad heads in other posts the concept of a 'bad run' comes up which is a valid manufacturer issue. In the effort to get products to the market in a timely fashion while maintaining quality but with competitive pricing, there will be times when a new supplier or subcontractor or process or machinery may produce a brief inferior run. If a manufacturer notes this and then makes it right, we need to keep that in mind and go forward.

I've had good experiences with both Evans/Daddario and Aquarian when there has been the rare occurrence of a defective head. Over the years I've used many heads on my two different drumsets and collection of snares. While Evans doesn't have Roy Burns (love that Roy!) they have been attentive and responsive in all of my experiences and make good, solid products. Evans/Daddario/Pro-Mark has been good enough to spend man hours in forums like this one to keep track of the pulse of what's going on (even if we see it as enjoyable work).

I'll always voice an issue if one comes up (politely). If the manufacturer does the right thing, let's all remember to do our part to show appreciation and let everyone know about it.

...I'm just sayin' :)

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 12-22-2012, 07:56 PM

My only gripe about Pro Mark is that they changed the size of 5B sticks. The current 5B's are much larger than they used to be. I still have an old set of them to prove it (have not used them).

When I questioned Pro Mark about this issue, all I got was lame excuses - nothing that made any sense. If they just had to make a thicker stick, another size designation could have been used instead of doing away with something that had not been messed with for decades.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:01 AM

There have been a number of manufacturing process changes at ProMark. We have gone from a back knife lathing process to a center-less ground system. This has improved the consistency and feel of the sticks. If you care to, we have some information about the improvements to ProMark on our website. You can find it here :
http://promark.com/pmNewsDetail.Page...D=3895&id=1173

KirbyM- I would really like to know more about these 5B's. Can you Email me directly with the spec difference and maybe some photos of the sticks. Thank you for reaching out. Robert.caniglia@daddario.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Maybe it's the "new" stock that they're having issues with, lol. I use a variety of Pro Mark sticks from a year or two ago and they're fine. What has the company done recently to improve their design?

Dennis
Old 12-29-2012, 02:54 AM

I received two sticks as a replacement to the below pair and while waiting for them to arrive, I ended up with two more tip failures. Safe to say this brick of sticks were all junk! I am still hopeful the boys at ProMark will make it right...
Old 12-29-2012, 04:49 AM

Pro Mark is a great company, I've used their products for years, but now and then, manufacturing defects do arise. And it's tough, too because things go unnoticed for weeks....I am certain they will make things right. I work in a manufacturing company as an executive. Feedback is absolutely critical. Customer satisfaction is paramount. They WILL make you happy, I'll bet anything on that....
Gibraltar
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 AM

Husky -

What you had with the recent Pro Mark sticks reminds me of Ludwig sticks back in the 60's. I had to glue many nylon tips back onto sticks.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:19 AM

Another one shattered today. If I didn't laugh I'd be crying!

Old 01-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

Strange fruit. I can usually get 6 months to a year on a pair of Pro Marks. Then again I use the Oaks, not the Maple, which may be more durable. I also use wood tips. They'll usually split before they go completely.

At any rate nowadays I stock up on B-stock sticks when I can't get Pro Mark (you know, the slight blems from the factories) and tape them up with electrical tape for grip, pitch match them and weight match them, rubber band them together, and sometimes put designs on them. It's like $15 for 10 pairs. Fun project, and if I uglify a stick I'm not out $10.

Can't justify $8-10 a pair anymore with how expensive things are getting.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusMySavior View Post
Can't justify $8-10 a pair anymore with how expensive things are getting.
Well, that's why we need them to last awhile.

PS. Why electrical tape? Why not tennis racket tape? Ooops wrong thread....
Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 PM

I spoke with my contact at ProMark/D'Addario yesterday by email and he assured me they would replace all of the defective sticks. I will keep this thread updated until closure. So far I am very satisfied with the attention given to my situation by Rob @ D'Addario.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Well, that's why we need them to last awhile.

PS. Why electrical tape? Why not tennis racket tape? Ooops wrong thread....
'cause Ace is easier to go to than my local sports store :-) And elec tape is cheaper in my area! Works just as well for me.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 01-10-2013, 03:40 AM

Just wanted to update all, Pro Mark has taken care of the recent tip issue and replaced my faulty sticks. I am very pleased with how this situation was handled. Highly recommend them as a company!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

Interesting to find this thread........

having recently switched to a SD9 maple stick, to try and reduce the weight of the stick, but not the size, I had started with Vic Firth, but had switched to the Pro Mark SD9, as it felt better in my hand (in terms of grip and balance), but within the last two weeks have broken two of the Pro Mark SD9s, which is a pain, as they are harder to find in a drum store. I would not consider myself a hard hitter, in fact, as I am playing at night, I try to moderate my hitting/volume.

Now I read about these quality issues with Pro Marks, it's good that they have addressed these problems with a new manufacturing process, but a pain if because I am using a less popular stick I am working my way through this old stock.

I am pleased to see Rob the Pro-mark rep has been participating in this thread, and would ask is there a means of telling from the stick packaging which is old and new stock, so I can try and avoid the older, possibly faulty sticks?

Thanks

Last edited by HMNY; 01-10-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: added Rob's name
Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

Beatfreak,

Nice to hear pro mark are taking note of issues and fixing them.

Maybe you can help answer this, as a user of their sticks for some time:

Is there a means of telling from the stick packaging which is old and new stock, did the packaging change at all with the new manufacturing process?

Knowing this would help me try and avoid the older, possibly faulty sticks?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

This is a great deal of help, thanks for taking the time to reply.