DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:18 AM
Silver Member

Default Acceptable reasons for you to get up from the drums mid song?

Are you one of those people people who practically glue your butt the the throne, or are there circumstances where you would leave the drums (such as someone trying to assault you, or a flood rushing towards you)?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Acceptable reasons for you to get up from the drums mid song?

Self-preservation is high on my list of priorities...
Old 01-14-2013, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member

I have a weak will. All you'd have to do is put a sandwich or good beer just slightly out of reach, and I'd stop everything.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 AM
Platinum Member

The guy who started a thread about crapping himself mid set probably had a viable excuse.

The mummy's boy who stuffed up a fill and ran away (all whilst wearing a cape), did not.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 AM

I don't reckon I can agree with you on that one PFOG. I mean, if you gamble and lose you've gotta take responsibility for your actions. I say finish the set! But then he probably would have been literally glued to his seat.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

If a crazy biker crashes the dance floor and does a burnout, I'd consider that a reason to stop and get up.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Sometimes the band is just playing too loud, and it's too distracting when I'm trying to text. Gotta draw the line somewhere...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Renegade

The show goes on. Musicians are supposed to be like the old mailmen (mailpersons) ... "Through rain or snow, or sleet or hail, we'll carry the mail, we will not fail"

30+ years ago a guitarist packed up and walked out of a jam because the other guitarist soloed endlessly. I don't agree with walk outs but I could understand that he didn't feel inclined to play a support role for someone who was being selfish.

Much more recently a bassist walked out because she didn't like a particular song and didn't want to play it. Had never mentioned it before - just one day she put down her bass and walked out.

Never had a gig walkout to date, thank Omnipresent Deity.

Who needs the drama? Just shaddap and play.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

I had to endure a near band member walk out last year. A piercing stare & some choice threats were necessary to turn that around. I can understand the reasons why said band member wanted to bail, but in front of a huge audience is not a great time to do that, even if everything is going very badly. Us drummers should rise above that & show real grit :)

I did (foolishly) enter the chilli eating competition prior to headlining the national Harley Davidson rally last year. Luckily (via multiple trips to the cubicle) I managed to avert catastrophic core meltdown, & lasted the 2 hour set. If I had failed in my task, that certainly would have justified a short unscheduled interval :(
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnygrabber View Post
But then he probably would have been literally glued to his seat.
You know that super cheap throne just advertised on ebay?

For the love of God, don't buy it!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Silver Member

I nearly upped and walked from the last gig our band, in it's current format, did but I did, in the end, the right thing and finished the gig then finished the singer....
Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 PM

How about a whole band walk-out? Nearly happened with my band a couple of years ago, absolute farce of a gig. Here's the tale...

We were playing a dinner dance at a biggish function venue. We'd played there several times before and always done well, loads of good feedback. We were looking forward to this gig, big crowd, 500+ doctors and their partners (event was their annual party). Nice fat fee!

Note - our client was the doctor's Association who organised the event, not the venue.

Anyway, after the dinner there was a charity auction and some "presentations to the committee" stuff. This took place in an adjoining room where the auction lots were displayed. The organiser's plan was for us to start playing our first set after they finished the presentations, his idea being to draw the crowd back into the main space more quickly, get the dancing started.

All was going to plan but as we start our set the venue owner looks in. Now this guy is very bombastic, very controlling, some would say a bully. Seeing the (still) mostly empty room he rushes to the conclusion that we had driven the crowd away!

OK so he should have been in the loop but did he wait until the first song was finished before approaching us to establish the situation? No - he runs onto the stage and starts to rant (scream) at our band leader while we were still playing. Unbelievable. Meantime a few hundred bemused doctors are coming back into the room behind him.

We ground to a halt in frank amazement at his behaviour. We couldn't ignore him - he was in our faces and trying to grab instruments. So we stop and he continued to shout. After a few minutes he quietens enough for the band leader to get a word in and tell him what we had been asked to do. The client's organiser comes up and confirms it, asks what all the fuss is about and why we have started packing up!

Anyway the organiser insisted we carry on and the owner went off in a rage. We played two sets and had a great time with the crowd who (fortunately) found the whole thing highly amusing.

One thing for sure, we won't go back to that venue - have declined to play there ever since.

Richard
Old 01-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Child View Post
How about a whole band walk-out? Nearly happened with my band a couple of years ago, absolute farce of a gig. Here's the tale...

We were playing a dinner dance at a biggish function venue. We'd played there several times before and always done well, loads of good feedback. We were looking forward to this gig, big crowd, 500+ doctors and their partners (event was their annual party). Nice fat fee!

Note - our client was the doctor's Association who organised the event, not the venue.

Anyway, after the dinner there was a charity auction and some "presentations to the committee" stuff. This took place in an adjoining room where the auction lots were displayed. The organiser's plan was for us to start playing our first set after they finished the presentations, his idea being to draw the crowd back into the main space more quickly, get the dancing started.

All was going to plan but as we start our set the venue owner looks in. Now this guy is very bombastic, very controlling, some would say a bully. Seeing the (still) mostly empty room he rushes to the conclusion that we had driven the crowd away!

OK so he should have been in the loop but did he wait until the first song was finished before approaching us to establish the situation? No - he runs onto the stage and starts to rant (scream) at our band leader while we were still playing. Unbelievable. Meantime a few hundred bemused doctors are coming back into the room behind him.

We ground to a halt in frank amazement at his behaviour. We couldn't ignore him - he was in our faces and trying to grab instruments. So we stop and he continued to shout. After a few minutes he quietens enough for the band leader to get a word in and tell him what we had been asked to do. The client's organiser comes up and confirms it, asks what all the fuss is about and why we have started packing up!

Anyway the organiser insisted we carry on and the owner went off in a rage. We played two sets and had a great time with the crowd who (fortunately) found the whole thing highly amusing.

One thing for sure, we won't go back to that venue - have declined to play there ever since.

Richard
Um, many conventional medical doctors are arrogant egomaniacs. Probably from taking all the freebie samples of perscription drugs they unnecessarily push on their unsuspecting patients that, in turn, fatten their wallets and help finance their country club memberships, SUVs, and such. Happy Monday :)
Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

I was playing drums for a Saturday evening chapel service on my Forward Operating Base in Afghanistan the one time, when the base came under rocket attack. I chose to get up in the middle of playing (as did the rest of the band, and the audience too).
Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I was playing drums for a Saturday evening chapel service on my Forward Operating Base in Afghanistan the one time, when the base came under rocket attack. I chose to get up in the middle of playing (as did the rest of the band, and the audience too).
Yep, I'd say that's a pretty damn good reason to get up. I hope like hell no one was hurt.

Does standing up behind the kit a la Portnoy count? :P

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

One time we were playing to a nearly empty room and a guy was begging me to sit in with the band, and I let him so I could go to the bathroom. He ended up being alright!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
You win....

hehehe

:-)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

I've never done this mid song. One time the bar owner wouldn't let us take a break, he kept saying just keep playing, we don't want to loose this crowd. he kept bringing us drinks too.

about 2 hours In I told the guys to play a song without drums and went and took a wizz.

another time I had to throw up and the bass was making it worse. I made it to the end of a song and asked them to play a song without drums and went and took care of business. felt much better and got back up for the next song.

We have had to stop playing mid song a few times because people fall into the stage and knock over gear, or dump a beer into a monitor. Something like that happens maybe once or twice a year.

There have been gigs were I wanted to pack it up and go home but I always stick it out. I am very stubborn.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

Any freekin' reason I care to follow at the moment is good enough for me! ; )

I've yet to find one though....
Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam Me Up Scotty View Post
Yep, I'd say that's a pretty damn good reason to get up. I hope like hell no one was hurt.

Does standing up behind the kit a la Portnoy count? :P
Nope. The bad guys shoot like they went to the Imperial Stormtrooper Academy.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

We nearly quit a gig before it even started. The area set aside to accommodate us was not nearly big enough for our equipment - we had to negotiate more space. But I can't remember getting up mid song. We've had some false starts over the years, in which the guitarist butchered the opening chords or riff, and shut the song down until he got it right. That was embarrassing.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 PM

Have not done that yet on the drums, but I used to do alot of live mixing and one night almost ended when I pulled the faders down and turned off the board because I was heavily insulted by the band leader. He screamed things into the mic that I don't want to repeat here.
Unfortunately I have zero tolerance for such behavior.

It took quite some time for him to apologize, so more than half of the audience had left already. Most of the rest were booing, too.

I have never experienced something like that again.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 PM

Pretty much just for an emergency piss break. Would rather train wreck the song then wet myself:)
Old 01-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

When I saw the thread title, this is the first thing that crossed my mind:

Name:  Derrick M air.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  157.4 KB

This is my friend Derrick Martin (aka D'Mar). He toured with Little Richard for many years and learned the art of showmanship. Grooves like a freight train and is a trained percussionist. But he is better known for this stunt of leaping up on the drum kit. Cat seriously knows how to "get on up".
Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I have a weak will. All you'd have to do is put a sandwich or good beer just slightly out of reach, and I'd stop everything.
LOL :)
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

MAD, this is simply your best work yet. The most astounding fact is that the sandwich appears to be meatless, and I am in fact, a vegetarian. You are obviously omnipresent.

The caption should probably read: "**** you guys, and this song, there's a sandwich over there."

Last edited by Dr_Watso; 01-15-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:51 AM

I've never walked out during a show before, but I've definitely wanted to in the past. The singer had the heroin nods during the set a few times and it nearly came to blows I was so angry at him. Realistically, I just can't see leaving in the middle of a song ever.

Although, one time at a party I fell off the back of the stage. during a song. Believe it or not, a kiddie pool margarita does not lead to a better performance.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 AM

I've never gotten up during a gig, nor has any band member ever done so. However, a few years back in one of my old bands, we were auditioning a new bassist. Prior to coming out he decided that he wasn't happy playing the bass lines written so he came in and started playing his own bass lines he'd written for the music. This completely messed with the flow of the song and none of us were happy.

The guitarist and I got over it pretty quick and we finally got the guy to do the proper parts but our singer couldn't get over the guys arrogance. Within 3 songs and much heated conversation between our singer and the bassist, he was packing up and was gone without another word. He just stopped playing right in the middle of a song and started packing his stuff away. Was quite funny.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
The most astounding fact is that the sandwich appears to be meatless, and I am in fact, a vegetarian. You are obviously omnipresent."
Surely you would of noticed him in the room, if not he maybe omniscient ;)
Old 01-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Jookbox
This message has been deleted by Jookbox.