DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 AM

Default Tama Camco

Hi all! I was wondering about the camcos today. What do they feel like? what " modern" pedal is most like them? Compare them to the iron/speed cobras? Never had a chance to try em and I've been listening to a lot of gene hoglan, so I thought i would ask! :)
Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: tama camco

The Camco was basically the first (that I saw) modern chain drive pedal. And when it came out ... a lot of people considered it the "best" pedal you could get. Out of the ashes of Camco, Tama started making the pedal (and the drums, for ma short while). DW, who started out making thrones, bought the Camco tooling. And whatever else was left behind. They basically just renamed the Camco pedal ... the DW5000. This is also why the DW lug looks like a Camco lug.
So, if you've ever played a DW5000 .... that's the feel. Of course, DW has tweeked and improved the pedal over a few decades. Added a floorplate, etc., etc.....
The "other" pedal that comes to mind, as a similar feel, is the Iron Cobra Jr. And I prefer the Jr. over the "senior", probably because it feels like a Camco/DW5000.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:30 PM

Not sure this'll help in any way, but... ;-)

Haven't tried the Camco, but do very much like both the DW 5000, as well as the Iron Cobra.
The Speed Cobra I did not get into - first pedal ever that I sold after a few months.

Gene Hoglan: lots and lots of practice.
He's probably pretty fast on any pedal.
Even if you got Gene's pedals, with his settings, there'd still be plenty of work to do. ;-)

He's got a DVD out.

Also check Dom Famularo's "Pedal Control" book/CD.
Hoglan studied with him & mentions him on the DVD.

Patrice
Old 02-03-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Gene Hoglan: lots and lots of practice.
He's probably pretty fast on any pedal.
Even if you got Gene's pedals, with his settings, there'd still be plenty of work to do. ;-)
im not looking to get pedals to go fast, ive worked my butt off the past months to get fast with my double bass work :). Ive got speed cobras and im not really even considering buying a set of camcos, im just curious about em.

And i knew that Dw and tama got their hardware stuff from camco, but i had always heard that Dw got the machinery and tama got the patents. Is this wrong?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

I played with the Tama Camco for almost 30 years, at the time of it's release it was one of this pedal with a great future, chain driven, light feel, fast and most of all, it has the possibility to carry adjustement to suits your preference, nowadays almost all pedals offers some kind of adjustements and even extra options, such as different cams, different driving mode and so on.

As far as adjustement is concern, by today's standard, it's a bit limited, but nervertheless this is what you could do with it, by unscrewing the screw on the cam wich secured the chain and moving the said chain on the cranked cam into a different position (the cam featured five or six predertemined positions) you could adjust the footboard up or down, this action however, had an influence on the beater angle, which in turn had 3 position setting on the top arm of the spring assembly to choose a different angle, and obviously you could adjust the spring tension, the early version did not have a cover over the chain to prevent the chain to come out of the cranked cam during heavy and powerful strokes, having said that, I owned both types and I never had a problem the chain, I also used both single pedal and double pedals (which came fully equipped with 3 complete spring assembly to use each pedal as a single one).

It has a light, fast feel, with a reasonably heavy felt beater which allow all types of drumming, from rock to jazz, a very versatile pedal, which is comparable to a DW 5000 which share the same design.

Hope this help. :)

Last edited by Mad About Drums; 02-04-2012 at 02:36 AM. Reason: spelling...
Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

I have played original Camco's, Camco by Tama,DW 5000 and IC's and speed kings.

The Camco style pedal has always had a "floating" type feel,and when it came out was considered pretty high tech as far as adjustments went, and like others said does a pretty good job no matter what style of music you play and performs pretty well for almost every playing style IMO.It might not be your cup of tea if you don't like a floating feel,or if you need a powerful heavy stroke,but can be made to play heavier by modifying with different beaters and beater weights.

IMO the Camco by Tama pedals play much more similar to my DW 5000 than to my Iron Cobras,both the power glide and rolling glide.

I guess no one will ever know who got what as far as the original Camco tooling and dies went,obviously Tama got the name,but the Camco style lugs tama did were different from the original Camcos,and the Camco by Tama pedals were very close to the camcos,in look and feel IMO.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

I just ordered one and I am waiting for it to arrive.
I have an 80's Tama version of the Camco pedal. It has an ugly footboard!
I leave at a friends studio with my practice kit.
It is one of my favorite pedals.
I am looking forward to getting the Camco reissue.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

I think it's cool that drummers are discovering, or re-discovering the joys of the lighter pedal. I myself found an old (80s) Tama Flexi-Flyer, and have just replaced the strap and the spring and that pedal absolutely slams. It feels like there's nothing under my foot. I love it.

Congrats on the Camco re-issue. Maybe I'll find one of those and put my cam and strap on it!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

Why are they so expensive? $130? Come on. I want to get one, but not at that price.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlit View Post
Why are they so expensive? $130? Come on. I want to get one, but not at that price.
Think of it this way, You will have it forever. Thats how I justified it.
You could always find a used one for a bit less.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member

I think other than the exclusivity of it, the price is sorta' justified. It's competing with other pedals in the same range, DW's 6000 (I think there's a DW with a single chain too), and is itself a classic from the 80s. People are still using theirs from the 80s, when you think about it. If you want cheaper, the Tama Iron Cobra Jr. sells around the $90 mark, but it can't claim to be the "Camco" pedal, either. $130 for a pedal that will basically last forever? Not a bad investment, I say.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
.... for a pedal that will basically last forever?
True that. Under most drummers feet. I saw 2 Camco pedals that formerly were owned by Billy Cobham .... and he pretty much turned them into "former" bass drum pedals.

Last edited by harryconway; 02-04-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlit View Post
Ditto Bob, Bo and Harry's view, it will last forever, my current one is over 23 years old and still in mint condition, a very reasonably priced pedal IMO, much cheaper than my single Mapex Falcon pedal. :)
Old 02-04-2012, 05:59 AM

Do they feel lighter than a 5000? Because the 5000s never felt light to me, maybe its just me, i dont know. I like the lighter feeling though, thats why i went with the speed cobra instead of the iron, it felt lighter to me.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
Do they feel lighter than a 5000? Because the 5000s never felt light to me, maybe its just me, i dont know. I like the lighter feeling though, thats why i went with the speed cobra instead of the iron, it felt lighter to me.
I don't know, I only played a DW 5000 once on somebody else kit, many years ago, I don't really remember how it felt for me, but I've owned a Ludwig Speed King, a Tama King Beat and currently a Mapex Falcon, the Camco has a lighter feel than any of these 3 pedals, however, the smoothness and fluidity of the Falcon is superior IMO, it's quieter too. :)
Old 02-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

@ Jon B ,I think the Camco is lighter feeling than the DW,whether that is because of the DW's bottom plate,or the chunky beater,or something else I don't know.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:50 AM

Love the iron cobra juniors too. To me, the IC jnr is a beefed up Camco. because theyve got fantastic hinges like a DW, there no need for doubling up the chain to compensate for wobble. The other pedal which is quite good is the Pearl P1000, bit of a dark horse this one, however quite clumsy feeling compared to all of the above really. I have IC's back in the UK, but they're just way over engineered for guys with small legs who like playing 'off' the drum and not burying the beater. For heavy rockers, yes.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:25 AM
audiotech

I tried one of these pedals a couple of weeks ago. My biggest grip is that the footboard is just too small for my size 13 feet. The pricing on them seemed fair enough.

Dennis
Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 AM

so does the camco have a smoother feel like a demon drive or a responsive feel like a really tight iron cobra (newer ones). I use those pedals as loose examples of what i mean
Old 02-29-2012, 04:19 AM
Silver Member

Its not gonna feel like a DD or IC. Its gonna feel like a Camco. Metal guys have been using them sice the early 80's right up to today. You can find used ones for cheap all day long, try one out, see if you like it.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:08 AM

I've been playing one off and on since the mid-80s. It's great for studio work where a lighter touch is called for. The only problem that I've had was having the felt beater come off of the shaft in mid-performance. Damn that hurt!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

The Camco feels like the first couple versions of a DW5000.
NOT like a modern day 5000. The 5000 these days feels like a tank compared to a Camco IMO.

I've been messing around with seat heights and pedals lately, and just today I pulled out my old Camo (Tama) single chain.

HOLY CRAP. This pedal is awesome.
Feels great, & very fast. It's like there's "less" under my foot (there is, it's smaller than my Eliminators), less resistance, but it's a solid feel.

I've loved the Eliminator for a long time now, but this Camco feels too good to not go back to using. I don't miss the base plate either.

As to the $130 cost (or whatever online pricing is available), it's pretty reasonable by today's standards I think.
With "fancier" pedals, you're paying for a lot of stuff you may not even adjust or need to adjust anyway. That's how I look at it.

I have a new Ludwig Atlas pedal on order, and I'll see how that one goes, but I may just get another Camco, so I can have a back up on gigs. I'm going to start using this thing again!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

I have played an old camco a lot but never liked it much. They are light andI had trouble hitting hard with them. These are probably 20 years old though, newer ones might be nicer.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

I have one of the brand new Camco's (re-issue), and it feels exactly like the one I bought in the late 80's.

I got a spare one (off eBay cheap!) that seems to be a first generation, because it does not have the chain guard over top the gear. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same too.

Yeah, it has a lighter feel than most modern pedals, but with a heavier beater (that I prefer anyway) I've never had a problem playing the bass drum as hard as I've needed/wanted to.

It's like any pedal though, your foot knows if it likes it or not within 10 seconds.

I "like" a lot of pedals, but I LOVE my Eliminators. The only beater I really like is the DW 2 sided--and I like the OLD one's better, so I bought the shops remaining 3 or 4 beaters years ago. Overkill on the amount of beaters, but, "just to be safe..."
It's odd that I felt a difference, but I did. Can't argue with the foot...
Old 10-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

FIY - these are on sale right now for $60.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Well, so much for just keeping the extra one I have "new in box" with the reissue packaging like I've been doing...... :-P

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...P&tandt_rdir=1
Old 10-24-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
The Camco was basically the first (that I saw) modern chain drive pedal. And when it came out ... a lot of people considered it the "best" pedal you could get. Out of the ashes of Camco, Tama started making the pedal (and the drums, for ma short while). DW, who started out making thrones, bought the Camco tooling. And whatever else was left behind. They basically just renamed the Camco pedal ... the DW5000. This is also why the DW lug looks like a Camco lug.
So, if you've ever played a DW5000 .... that's the feel. Of course, DW has tweeked and improved the pedal over a few decades. Added a floorplate, etc., etc.....
The "other" pedal that comes to mind, as a similar feel, is the Iron Cobra Jr. And I prefer the Jr. over the "senior", probably because it feels like a Camco/DW5000.
He is right about all of that. I'd rather get the used vintage ones than the remake though.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 PM

Camco was the first to come out with this pedal design/concept years ago.The secret was in the triangular hook.They supplied Slingerland,Gretsch & even Ludwig(Standard) with their pedals.The companies just put their name on them.Ala the "Gretsch Floating Action" model pedal.For example,If you notice,just about every pedal on the market this day is a copy of the old Camco concept.When the last person to own Camco died,his widow sold the patents to Hoshino & DW.I bought two Tama/Camco pedals in '81.I was amazed at the fluidity,speed & power of these pedals.They were alot lighter than the DW version.There was no compromise in the punch & power these pedals possessed.When I went for doubles,I got triples by mistake!The rebound was so great that the beater used to hit me in the shin,leaving a large bruise.However,over time the ballbearings have fatigued & it's not the same action.So,unless you are handy enough to change the ball bearings,I'd suggest buying the new ones rather than an old used one.The only way to find out for yourself,is to make a side by side comparison.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:16 PM

I use 2 Tama Camco pedals in my kit. I can't comment on the feel of the new pedal verusus the old as I still have my old trusty Camco pedals.

I bought them in the early 80's and did some modifications to them, which I felt improved them for me. I didn't like the original way the footboard and heel plate slopped around so I removed the old bushes and got some new plastic ones machined up to fit.

The new bushes were unfortunately smaller in diameter so I wrapped a metal shim I fashioned around the bush and it did fit very snug in the heel plate after that and definitely no slop. Then I made a foot plate which secured the underside of the peadal and made it more stable.

I then had a problem with the beater assembly wandering across them axle shaft (causing the chain to bind) so I drilled a small locating hole in the axle for the grub screw (of the beater assembly) to bed into.

I play the beaters off the head and to do so I have a very radical beater angle nearly touching the footboard. You may be able to see that in the small pix. I use Danmar felt beaters, one yellow and one white.

The original beaters I felt were too soft and the Danmar wood beaters too hard and destroy heads. Like anything you get used to it and having that distance to throw the beater into the bass drum head you get very good volume!