DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Silver Member

Default Drum mixer/mixing help. Behringer XL.

So I've been thinking a while about getting a mixer for my practice room, but I've been putting it off due to price. Then I did some searching and found out that the really cheap Behringer Xenyx XL series are getting good reviews.

I'm thinking about getting the 2400 model. I know it has no fx built in, but I have several Lex and Eventide pieces stored for a future guitar rack lying around.

The plan is to get a Beta 52, some Beta 98s for toms and start out just using my Edirol HR-09 for overheads and then add more mics(overheads, hi-hat, snare side, Subkick, ambient) gradually as I have the money. I already have a couple of 57s for my snares.

Does anyone have any experience with these mixers?

I'm thinking it would be cool to bring it out and mix my own sound live sometimes as well. I was thinking about the 1600, but realized that ideally I'd use about 13 channels on my kit as well as needing to add a Cd player, laptop and a couple of drum machines to it. The 3200 is overkill, but I keep thinking useability for other purposes?

It's really just a way to make practicing more enjoyable, learn how to mike and set up for a good drum sound and getting used to a recording situation, but I'm thinking with a couple of free channels available for my student's kit it should make teaching the young rockers easier on my ears as well. lol

I don't have any eqs or compressors. Any tips on what I need there?

I will get a recording setup at some point, but this is a way for me to get started and get some experience for a reasonable price.

Anyone have any experience?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Drum mixer/mixing help. Behringer XL.

What are you going to hook the mixer up to?

Computer?
P/A?
In Ear Monitors?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:57 PM

I have used Behringer for many different gigs/recording setups and they are pretty decent mixers.

It all depends what budget you are looking at.

The microphones you chose would be great for micing the drums and getting a decent-quality sound for recording. Here's another mixer I would look into:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...v-20-usb-mixer

I have had nothing but good experiences with peavey. I believe this has FX with it, 20 inputs, it's more compact (much lighter, too), and it was around the same price.

Like I said, I've recorded with this same mixer and it's great! Also- it's USB, so when you begin recording, it's easy-to-use!

As for the EQ and compressors, if it's just a practice room for you or your students, compression or fine tuned EQ equipment isn't too necessary.

Once you begin tracking drums for recordings, most software has compression and graphic EQ built in- leaving all the fine-tuning within the software. If you do think you need compression and 31 band EQ's or anything like that, they can just be things you add as you go! :-)

Hope that helped a bit!

-Josh
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 AM

If it were me buying a board with 20+ inputs, I would be buying something used from fleabay. With the advent of Digital mixers being "low cost", lots of 24 channel and larger desks are selling in the $400-$700 range with the power supply and a case.

This will give you a few things over the Behringer unit.
  • Better sounding mic pre's
  • More XLR inputs
  • More routing options
  • Better build quality

I use some Behringer gear, but nothing that effects the sound of my system to the Front of House. Its all for keeping my monitors in check and in my IEM rig. I have good sucess with it, but I always see people complaining about how bad it is.

Seriously, go hit fleabay, craigslist, whatever and search "24 channel case" and see what pops up!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

My experience with the Behringer stuff hasn't been good. And I'm just thinking in terms of durability. Their circuitry leaves alot to be desired too. The reason good consoles cost so much is because of the circuitry - same thing for the Peavey stuff, Samson, Nady, all of those 'smaller' companies not known for professional audio. Well, Peavey does professional audio, but that's a whole 'nother price bracket.

The minimum I would consider for handling mic signals from drums would be the Mackie VLZ series - there's alot you can do with the 1604VLZ3. My next step up would be the Yamaha O1v96 (that's a $1500 jump up).

Like cymbals, I'm in the 'buy once, cry once' camp. Every player I know who started with cheaper audio gear, has always upgraded sooner than later.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM
audiotech

When I hear the word Behringer, I acquaint it with being a throw away piece of gear. It may work OK for awhile, but once it starts acting up, they're not really worth putting money into them to correct the problem (s). Their electrical specifications may not be as great as some of the better quality products on the market, but may suffice for some non professional applications. At times I have repaired Behringer equipment down to the component stage and some of their designs are flawed, mostly due to component failure due to heat build up within the unit and the quality of the components that are used. I stay away from all Behringer products for the above reasons, life's just too short.

Dennis
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
My experience with the Behringer stuff hasn't been good. And I'm just thinking in terms of durability. Their circuitry leaves alot to be desired too. The reason good consoles cost so much is because of the circuitry - same thing for the Peavey stuff, Samson, Nady, all of those 'smaller' companies not known for professional audio. Well, Peavey does professional audio, but that's a whole 'nother price bracket.

The minimum I would consider for handling mic signals from drums would be the Mackie VLZ series - there's alot you can do with the 1604VLZ3. My next step up would be the Yamaha O1v96 (that's a $1500 jump up).

Like cymbals, I'm in the 'buy once, cry once' camp. Every player I know who started with cheaper audio gear, has always upgraded sooner than later.
Bo,

Could you recommend a durable mixer for 6-8 mic's that is around $400 or less. I have a 6 piece with the snare and BD mic'd. The 2 small toms and 2 floor toms both share a mic in the middle. I would then do 2 overheand mic's. Mainly for recording in the studio, drum covers, etc.

Would also use the mixer for live performances. FX would be nice. Hopefully I am not asking too much for too little :-)
Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Bo,

Could you recommend a durable mixer for 6-8 mic's that is around $400 or less. I have a 6 piece with the snare and BD mic'd. The 2 small toms and 2 floor toms both share a mic in the middle. I would then do 2 overheand mic's. Mainly for recording in the studio, drum covers, etc.

Would also use the mixer for live performances. FX would be nice. Hopefully I am not asking too much for too little :-)
Well, sort of. But you being in San Diego, there shouldn't be any shortages of Mackie 1604z's used. I bought mine in great shape for $400. Then I added an Alesis PicoVerb for $75. But the 1604 has 16 channels and all kinds of signal routing possibilities. I recommend that one to everybody.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 AM
Gold Member

Thanks Bo - just thought I'd ask.