DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 AM
Renegade

Default Re: If you were bankrupt, starving and cold, could YOU burn your kit to keep you alive?

I sold my Rogers in 2006 to make space so I doubt I'd be squeamish about ritual survival burnings.

I'd first remove the wrap (unless it was Andy's Gurus, in which case I could just toss it straight on the flames). I would then charge Doc Watso for use of my fire to do his cooking ...

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: If you were bankrupt, starving and cold, could YOU burn your kit to keep you alive?

If I was bankrupt, starving, and cold I would have no problem burning your drumkit to stay alive :)
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Silver Member

Todd, if you end up having to go through with it, you may want to contact this man for some tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Pl2-lx12A

-John
Old 01-07-2013, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

I live in one of the hottest places in the country, I really don't foresee that being a problem.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 PM

Absolutely not!! Making music on my kit is what makes me feel most alive
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

I definitely would not burn my drums to stay warm. I would probably play my drums to stay warm. Physical activity is a much more efficient/effective way to stay warm/alive.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM

absolutely not.

ah one ah and ah two and ah...
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I'd first remove the wrap (unless it was Andy's Gurus, in which case I could just toss it straight on the flames). I would then charge Doc Watso for use of my fire to do his cooking ...
Raw elephant/child sushi is a delicacy in Australia where they will eat any old nasty thing you put in front of their criminal/aboriginal faces; as long as it's served with that swill "Fosters". True story.

Last edited by Dr_Watso; 01-07-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

That is THE most INSANE question I have fever heard. What's next? If you were on an airplane and 150 lbs had to go to keep it from crashing, would you throw the drums out or jump yourself? Would you have given up your seat on the Titanic's life boat for your drums?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 PM

I realise this is a stupid question looking at all the other possibilites (ie sell them or play for money) but what if they weren't an option. Say I dunno, nuclear apocalypse or something, freezing cold winter and all you have left is part of your beloved kit. Your only connection to the past ways apart from the clothes on your back. The only option is burn the remaining parts of your kit or possibly freeze to death
Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Raw elephant/child sushi is a delicacy in Australia where they will eat any old nasty thing you put in front of their criminal/aboriginal faces; as long as it's served with that swill "Fosters". True story.
What do you think Vegemite is??? (and yep, being a yeast extract, it even includes the swill)

Wanna know the best thing about Fosters? We export that crap overseas. No upstanding Aussie will touch the stuff. It's been our own private little joke on the world for years.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
What do you think Vegemite is???
Do they eat turgans ??
Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
Would you have given up your seat on the Titanic's life boat for your drums?
i would hold my finger over the vent hole and float on my bassdrum. the case would make a perfectly satisfactory lifeboat.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What do you think Vegemite is??? (and yep, being a yeast extract, it even includes the swill)

Wanna know the best thing about Fosters? We export that crap overseas. No upstanding Aussie will touch the stuff. It's been our own private little joke on the world for years.
So being from Melbourne, your beer of choice is likely to be Victoria Bitter or Carlton, right?

I spent some time with some mates (see what I did there) from Australia who work for my company and I got the lowdown on the regional beer preferences. They let me know about Fosters.

About 20 years ago, we could get Coopers Sparkling Ale here. That and Fosters and not much else from down under. But I loved Coopers Sparkling Ale. It was anything but sparkling, actually, and it had a head like whipped cream. Delicious. Haven't seen it in a long time.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

The worst part isn't even what you do to yourselves, it's the bad image you give those poor new zealanders.

Anyhow, MAD, can we get a photoshop of Grea riding a kangaroo with a Fosters in one hand, and some elephant sushi in the other? I think it's called for, as we need to show the world what these "people" are really all about.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Renegade

Quote:
So you're not happy about being charged for the fire? Is that where all this hostility comes from? You think it should be free? This isn't just any old fire - those are my drums, bucko! Cook your darn sushi, be grateful and don't do a runner. I'll keep an eye on you, lad.

And avoid Vegemite - it's made in the US by Kraft and they don't use genuine Australian elephant. Mighty Mite and Freedom Vege Spread are the real deal, the latter only usin using organic Australian elephants fed exclusively on free range children with a tick from the Heart Foundation!

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

With the Fosters, I'm always deeply disappointed when I'm in the pub with friends and they order it. I just don't understand why you would want beer that tastes like fizzy, watered-down piss when there are decent ales on tap for the same money.

Naturally, I've berated them for their choice and bought the strongest cider I can find for the next round so I can give them a good kicking under the table with the next pint. If the cider tastes like it might still have straw in it, then it's a good thing.

Fosters. Yuck. Only beaten by 'Wifebeater's Choice' - Stella Artois.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:18 PM

meh, the fosters we get in the states is made in canada anyway. so's the guiness. and the heineken.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
So being from Melbourne, your beer of choice is likely to be Victoria Bitter or Carlton, right?
In the midst of a sweltering Aussie summer, the Carlton's were being knocked back steadily last night mate. You are well versed in many of our local brews Larry. If you ever find yourself at the bar with me, at least you'll be well informed as to what exactly is doing all the damage. I'm sure for such a special occasion we could even raise the bar for a couple of Crown Lagers....or "Crownies" as they are known locally.

Coopers is also a good drop. Although I tend to be of the mindset that there are only two kinds of beers.....good and better (excluding Fosters of course....but that's a piss take and not a beer anyway)

Quote:
The worst part isn't even what you do to yourselves, it's the bad image you give those poor new zealanders.
Ah yes, the Kiwis. The only nation to prompt the questions, where was Zealand and why the hell did anyone think we needed a new one? :-)
Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So you're not happy about being charged for the fire? Is that where all this hostility comes from? You think it should be free? This isn't just any old fire - those are my drums, bucko! Cook your darn sushi, be grateful and don't do a runner. I'll keep an eye on you, lad.
No, no, I fully expect to be charged several times by your kind. I can't help that you people are unreasonable.

Quote:
And avoid Vegemite - it's made in the US by Kraft and they don't use genuine Australian elephant. Mighty Mite and Freedom Vege Spread are the real deal, the latter only usin using organic Australian elephants fed exclusively on free range children with a tick from the Heart Foundation!
Everyone should keep in mind that when an Aussie says "free range children" that really only means that they get let out into a small outdoor pen for a few hours a day in order to satisfy government regulatory requirements. They don't care about their food stock children at all. The slop they get fed is a mixture of Fosters, vegemite, and powdered kangaroo pouch.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

This is an easy question for me, because my kit will not burn. The wood is too dense and ornery. Maybe if you put it in a furnace, but then I wouldn't need to stay warm.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Everyone should keep in mind that when an Aussie says "free range children" that really only means that they get let out into a small outdoor pen for a few hours a day in order to satisfy government regulatory requirements. They don't care about their food stock children at all. The slop they get fed is a mixture of Fosters, vegemite, and powdered kangaroo pouch.
Not just in Australia. I hear that US "free range" children provide copious amounts of crackling when roasted - toasty and tasty but pure packaged diabetes!

It's true that some unscrupulous growers claim that their childstock is free range - by the time they open the barn the stock can't walk out due to too much Fosters in the feed.

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Not just in Australia. I hear that US "free range" children provide copious amounts of crackling when roasted - toasty and tasty but pure packaged diabetes!

It's true that some unscrupulous growers claim that their childstock is free range - by the time they open the barn the stock can't walk out due to too much Fosters in the feed.
Thanks- I just spit water all over the keyboard!

-John
Old 01-08-2013, 12:54 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Anyhow, MAD, can we get a photoshop of Grea riding a kangaroo with a Fosters in one hand, and some elephant sushi in the other? I think it's called for, as we need to show the world what these "people" are really all about.
Well, I couldn't find a kangaroo, so I got a turgaroo instead, I hope you don't mind :)

Attached Images

Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
Thanks- I just spit water all over the keyboard!
Mission accomplished :) Glad I wasn't drinking water when I saw Henri's latest collage!

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-09-2013, 02:55 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Mission accomplished??? ...it depends how you look at it.

The planet went through an apocalypse, through starvation, intense sub-freezing temperature, bankruptcy, Bobdadruma has burned all remaining drumkits on the planet that hasn't been thrown up from airplanes or sunk down into deep seas, except Todd who has eaten his own kit.

There's no food left either, even raw elephant, child sushi or powdered kangaroo pouch are not to be found anywhere.

There's no more children on the planet, the sub-standard beer fed free range children has been totally eaten by those in search for survival.

Those children who were not part of the scandalous Aussie "free range" scheme were hunted by some renegade riding a turgaroo and have also been eaten.

Once no children could be found on the planet, the deadly hunting team has killed and eaten all humans creatures in the world.

Mankind has disappeared from earth at the exception of boltzmann's brain which is floating in a bass drum's case somewhere in some unknown ocean.

No, the mission is not accomplished... it's has just begun, a new era, a new type of living species has arrived, and it's called ...turgroach's world!

Guess we all failed the Rorschach test!

Attached Images

Old 01-09-2013, 04:47 AM
Renegade

Hahaha - hilarious! You are completely mad, Henri. You even make me look sane! (which is very helpful, thank you :)

Let me get this straight ... "turgroach" is the result of fusion between Doc Watso and me? A portmanteau like Brangelina or TomKat? What's a turg? A typo? Shorthand for sturgeon?

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member

You can't prove anything and I'm not paying for those brats. They don't even look anything like me.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member

*grabs popcorn, eagerly awaiting more*

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 AM
Platinum Member

Hehehe. Henri, wow. I'm impressed by the crazy creativity of your mind.

And, admittedly, a little bit scared by it, too :)
Old 01-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Renegade

Quote:
You can't prove anything and I'm not paying for those brats. They don't even look anything like me.
Ah yes, one minute it's "almost as handsome as Dad", the next it's "the paternity test musta got lost in the post".

Let's face it, bucko, Junior didn't get that ugly by itself. I was hoping for refined and pretty insectile features (like moi's) rather than the butt ugly piscine mug you lumbered the poor little bastard with!

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

I'm also not responding to all these requests to appear on the Maury show. You must think I'm stupid.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Renegade

I wouldn't dream of it, Doc! Oprah or no one. She'd be gentle.

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Let me get this straight ... "turgroach" is the result of fusion between Doc Watso and me?
You're correct :)

Quote:
What's a turg? A typo? Shorthand for sturgeon?
Uncle Larry called Doc a "turd", you called him "grogan", a cross over between the two is a turgan, which is a kinda fish.

A cross between a turgan and a kangaroo is a turgaroo.

The babies of a turgan and a cockroach are turgroaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
*grabs popcorn, eagerly awaiting more*
Some coming right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
And, admittedly, a little bit scared by it, too :)
So am I ....

Quote:
I was hoping for refined and pretty insectile features (like moi's) rather than the butt ugly piscine mug you lumbered the poor little bastard with!
Ha! the poor little bastard is a male... female turgroach are different :) :) :)

Attached Images

Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
I wouldn't dream of it, Doc! Oprah or no one. She'd be gentle.
From the Ophra show a couple of hours ago....

I'd say Wasto's the father...

... and I say you're a single mother Grea, lol.

Attached Images

Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Renegade

Dear me, we have this very serious issue about burning drums in dire circumstances and you people hijack the thread and kid around??

Never thought I'd live to see the day ...

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Coopers is also a good drop. Although I tend to be of the mindset that there are only two kinds of beers.....good and better (excluding Fosters of course....but that's a piss take and not a beer anyway)

Ah yes, the Kiwis. The only nation to prompt the questions, where was Zealand and why the hell did anyone think we needed a new one? :-)
Zealand is in the Netherlands I think. They were a Dutch territory for awhile.

I've made some Cooper's from a home-brewing kit.

I heard on the news that it's so hot in Oz that they had to use new colors to graphically depict the heat on a map. I don't think you'll see any drums being burned anytime soon. Stay cool!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

I recall hundreds of Beatle protesters down in southern US where it's never cold burned Beatles albums, records, other memorabilia after Lennon's "bigger than Christ" statement in 1966. Now some smart person shoulda stood there and ran off with the lot of stuff. Woulda been a millionaire today. Wonder if any Ludwig black oyster pearls were torched? Silly Americans.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

NO.

Just bury in me the drum kit.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, a newly learning to drink me learned that one many years back.

Sounds really fancy and all to be drinking a nice imported beer, until you realize, it doesn't really taste like a nice imported beer..........