DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 01-08-2013, 04:24 PM

Default TD11KV or TD12S

Hey I am new to Electronic drums and its been awhile since I played acoustic drums (had to give them up do to much noise for were I live) but I want to get back into it.

My Question to you is, what is the better purchase/equipment? and if I go with the used equipment should I be looking for anything problem wise when purchasing them?

My Choices....

I could buy a new Set of TD-11KV drums for $1500 plus taxes from the store

Or, I found a used set of Used TD12S Drums online for $1100, This is the post:

The Roland V Stage TD12S Electronic Drum Set delivers professional quality in a compact kit.
Great feeling, great sounding - the new V-Stage Series TD-12S makes the middle range of the V-Drums line feel like first class. With mesh V-Pads all the way around, the TD-12S lets drummers sink their sticks into the best-feeling pads in the business. The new TD-12 drum module is an upgrade from the previous TD-8, sharing the same stunning sound quality as the flagship TD-20.
Great-feeling mesh drum pads all the way around the kit!
New TD-12 COSM®-modeling drum module with ultra-intuitive operation via large LCD
Same great sound quality as top-of-the-line TD-20
Incorporates new VH-11 natural-feel floating hi-hat (mounts on optional hi-hat stand)
Ultra-realistic playing feel, thanks to features such as snare/cymbal interval control (sound changes based on speed of strokes)
Snare pad enlarged from 8" to 10", and featuring positional sensing
New MDS-12BK Drum Stand with advanced gripping clamps on pipes and concealed cables
Two color variations available (black and white models)
TD-12S Components
TD-12 Percussion Sound Module x1
PD-105 V-Pad™ x1
PD-85 V-Pad x3
VH-11 V-Hi-Hat™ x1
CY-12R/C V-Cymbal™ Ride/Crash x2
KD-85 V-Kick Trigger Pad x1
MDS-12 Drum Stand x1
Unbeatable Sound
With the same stunning sound quality as the flagship TD-20, the new TD-12 drum module provides hundreds of expressive instruments and play-along sequences in a streamlined, affordable package. Many of the sounds in the TD-12, from drums to cymbals, are COSM modeled for the ultimate in expression and realism. The module provides the same large, icon-based LCD as its big brother (the TD-20), and is housed in a road-tough, metalic black chassis with a friendly array of buttons, controls, and mix sliders. Twelve trigger inputs are provided, plus four audio outputs and MIDI I/O.
Unrivaled V-Editing
Enjoy the dozens of expert-programmed kits in the TD-12 - from authentic acoustic sets to ultra-modern electronic flavors. But the fun doesn't stop there; customize your snare drum, toms, bass drum, and cymbals with the modeling-based V-Editing. Change sizes and materials, attach sizzles to cymbals, increase snare buzz, and more. Then get out your sticks and enjoy! The TD-12 supports positional sensing on the snare and ride, as well as on the toms when you play rimshots. The TD-12 is also brush compatible, and features the expressive Interval Control feature for the snare and ride/crash/china cymbal, which varies the sound in natural ways based on the speed of stroke repetition.
Realistic Feel, Streamlined Design
With eyes closed, drummers will think they're playing a regular two-piece hi-hat. But examine the innovative new VH-11 floating hi-hat, and you'll see that it's actually comprised of one floating cymbal pad atop a fixed lower base. Great for fast setup and easy transport, the VH-11 mounts on conventional hi-hat stands, and provides a similar playing feel to a 2-piece hi-hat. The VH-11 is fully compatible with Roland's TD-20, TD-12, and can be used with TD-10 w/TDW-1, TD-8, and TD-6.
Rimshot-Ready Mesh Pads
The new 8" dual-zone V-Pads feature Roland's latest dual-triggering technology, resulting in more consistent and accurate sensing between the head and rim. Built tank-tough and ready to take a pounding, these new-generation pads are available in both black and white finishes with chrome bracket. When used as tom-toms for TD-20 and TD-12 sound modules, the pads let you play rimshots, and the sound will change depending on the strength of your stroke.
A New Rock-Solid Foundation
Sink your beater into this solid, great-feeling mesh kick pad. With improved pad cushioning for a better feel, and available in black or white finishes, the KD-85 can accommodate double bass pedals. Torture-tested for quality assurance, this new pad has the stamina and stability to handle the toughest poundings. (Does not include bass drum pedal)
Solid, Stylish Drum Stand
Mount your V-Drums in style and stability with the MDS-12BK. Featuring Roland's sturdiest grip clamps, this rock-solid rack let's you play with confidence, knowing that your drum and cymbal pads will remain locked in position. For a clean appearance and quick setup, the cabling can be concealed inside the pipes. The MDS-12BK's open-leg design makes hi-hat placement more convenient, and its wide design lets you to easily expand your kit with additional drum, cymbal, and percussion pads. Optional PM-3 Satellite speakers can be mounted on the center poles without the need for boom clamps (speaker bases are required).
Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 PM

Default Re: TD11KV or TD12S

As long as everything works, the TD12S is gonna be great !
Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 PM

Is The TD12S really that good? I thought perhaps because it was an older and discontinued model it might have older technology to the module then the TD11?

Thanks for your help :)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 PM

It is virtually a TD20, which was the flagship until the TD30 came out. Same sound engine, less outputs .
Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM

When you say that it has less outputs you just mean that it can't be expanded upon as much? (ie. adding more cymbals and toms) ... sorry I'm new to the whole electronic drum scene and just want to make sure I get a good kit.

The Website also mentions on the TD11KV that it has their SuperNATURAL enhanced sound for natural drumming... is this something that the TD12S is missing? Is this just a gimmick?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 PM

You can add 4 pads (cym or drums) to the TD12. Less outputs means if you have to go individually, ( pad by pad ) out to say a mixer, or recording interface you don't have as many as a TD20, or TD30 . Generally not a huge deal, unless you really have to have it. Sounds an the 11 are a little bit better, but you are gonna pay for it.