DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM

Default Thoughts on Joey Jordison

I wasn't sure where to post this. So I figured I'd post it here - I'm sorry if it offends anyone - but I've been watching a lot of live videos of Slipknot. I'd never really got into the band before (I'm not too big on modern metal), because their drummer Jordison is supposed to be a big deal.

After listening to several songs, and paying close attention to this little dude's playing, I've come to the conclusion that in studio, he is fast. But he's not incredibly gifted. The dude doesn't play anything terribly complex, and loves to litter songs with double bass fills to seemingly make-up for a lack of hand creativity,

Moving on to live videos, I've noticed that some songs played on the albums are really up-beat and speedy. Not even speedy on the scale of In Flames, or other notoriously quick Metal bands, who play songs at full speed. And yet, the band slows most of these songs down, and even then it sometimes seems like Jordison struggles to play at such speeds, and has difficulty keeping time for the band.

Can I get some thoughts on this?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Renegade

Default Re: Thoughts on Joey Jordison

Just checked out a live clip. Nothing in his playing looked easy to me - he's fast and coordinated. The music gave me a headache.

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

I think he's the best Joey Jordison there is. What more can he do? What more should he have to do? Far from my favourite, but I've heard far worse than him.

Does he live up to all the hype? Probably not. But then again, is he responsible for the fan boys that put him on a pedestal in the first place? I've never heard him claim to be the greatest ever, so what does it really matter what the kids with no clue think?

Much like Barker, the poor bloke is forever in someones cross hairs.....for little more than playing his drums and getting paid for it. We should all be so lucky. No such thing as bad publicity, I guess.......I see no shortage of conversation for a guy who supposedly can't play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SticksEasy View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this.
FWIW, I reckon in the Joey Jordison thread in the drummers section.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 PM

I used to be able to play most of the 3rd album and one fancy-dress night I tried playing in a mask and a boiler suit - I nearly died LOL.

Imagine doing that every night, sometimes upside down, nothing but planes, coaches and fast food in between. Their european tour schedule was gruelling and I completely respect what he does. In fact I am amazed at how he continues to do it.

I have seen the band 3 times and every time the tunes were faster live too. He didn't miss a beat.

That said, I saw him play with Korn and the feel of the music was lost. He killed it for me. I didn't think he was great with Metallica either but hey, he works well for Slipknot. Arguably an entertainer too, as is most of the band, and they are damn good at that. Fair play to him I say.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

PFOG - very well put!

From an extreme drumming perspective Joey is nothing spectacular. But then, Slipknot isn't extreme metal either. So in the end - who cares. And this is just a technical consideration. What is more important is the music as a whole/result and how people react to it. So do they have fans? Yes -> Everything's ok.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:05 PM
The Old Hyde

Until your album and tour comes out like slipknot, shut up!!! The guy is talented, period. Anyone who says he isnt is just foolong themselves. I hate their music but that guy can play.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I think he's the best Joey Jordison there is. What more can he do? What more should he have to do? Far from my favourite, but I've heard far worse than him.

Does he live up to all the hype? Probably not. But then again, is he responsible for the fan boys that put him on a pedestal in the first place? I've never heard him claim to be the greatest ever, so what does it really matter what the kids with no clue think?

Much like Barker, the poor bloke is forever in someones cross hairs.....for little more than playing his drums and getting paid for it. We should all be so lucky. No such thing as bad publicity, I guess.......I see no shortage of conversation for a guy who supposedly can't play.

I'm not a big fan of the band or JJ, but this is WELL SAID.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM

He's the drummer, therefore I think he is the coolest member of the band. :P
Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 PM

Joey Annoyingson?

He's a joke drummer for a gimmicky band that played off of Kisses glam and the angsty 13 year olds of this generation.

They are literally Kiddy Tool.
He's terrible.
Period.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

I think he's overrated... he doesn't do anything that makes me go "wow". Danny Carey, on the other hand, makes me weep in tears of joy at the complexity and innovation in his playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Satellite Brian View Post
They are literally Kiddy Tool.
Not even in the same league, let alone ballpark.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero Talent View Post
I think he's overrated... he doesn't do anything that makes me go "wow". Danny Carey, on the other hand, makes me weep in tears of joy at the complexity and innovation in his playing.

Not even in the same league, let alone ballpark.
Well lets just say if Tool is Shrooms

Slipknot is Tums.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 PM

I don't think he is a terrible drummer. And I have respect for anyone who gets paid to play. I think Joey has most of the stuff that's driving beginning drummers wild. He's got the fast double bass, the quick hands, the monstrous drum kit, lights, you get the idea. Slipknot has been winning awards, and gaining quite the mainstream success as well. Like I've always said, anybody who's inspiring a new generation of drummers is okay in my book.

I'm pretty much just seeking confirmation that I'm not alone when I notice he doesn't seem to be the legend in his time that most are making him out to be. As far as speeding up live, I fail to see it. Every video on Youtube of a live performance seems like it's dragged out. And I honestly don't see anything he does that's innovative. I mean, granted, he can do things I can't, but my style of drumming is totally different from his, so there's no real point in making a comparison.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Renegade

Why compare Slipknot and Tool? They are very different bands. Joey couldn't play in Mahavishnu Orchestra, not to mention the Brandenburg Orchestra either. Joey doesn't design buildings or solve existential mysteries with mathematics either. A limited man, I'm afraid. We should be tolerant of his inadequacy.

But seriously ... I agree with The Old Hyde and respect anyone who plays major concerts and sells millions of albums. They are proven performers to major crowds. Slipknot are a world rated band. Who here is known and rated outside their city?

He's an exciting drummer so he attracts excitable fanboys. It goes with the territory. Same with Blink, Rush etc.

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
He's terrible.
Period.
His constant work load and subsequent pay cheques all beg to differ.

Quote:
I'm pretty much just seeking confirmation that I'm not alone when I notice he doesn't seem to be the legend in his time that most are making him out to be.
I think that's pretty much a given.

Who are "most" though? They're kids. Kids without a clue as to what's truely great and what isn't. When I was a kid I thought KISS were the greatest thing ever.
What's more concerning, the fact that kids make him out to be a legend or the fact that grown men get threatened by it?

Perhaps if he solved existential mysteries with mathematics it may help though. Couldn't hurt him to try could it?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Perhaps if he solved existential mysteries with mathematics it may help though. Couldn't hurt him to try could it?
Opportunity costs, Jules. He's a busy man. Otherwise I'm sure he'd be churning out those sums.

Still, I doubt his equations would have the complexity and elegance of Danny Carey's. Nor the depth and precision of Billy Cobham's. Nor the charming folksiness of Meg's ...

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 PM

you guys are right.

Slipknot, Justin Bieber, Blood on the Dancefloor, Lady Gaga, and Nicka Minaj are all respectable musicians because they are successful at selling music and playing concerts.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Nor the charming folksiness of Meg's ...
See, why is Meg never lambasted for not knowing the formula for determining the space-time continuum?

Oh.....wait......nevermind.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Renegade

Quote:
you guys are right.

Slipknot, Justin Bieber, Blood on the Dancefloor, Lady Gaga, and Nicka Minaj are all respectable musicians because they are successful at selling music and playing concerts.
Correct Brian. Justin is a very naturally talented kid. Gaga plays keys and writes her material - another natural talent. Don't know the others you mentioned.

So yes, many top pop artists are a whole lot more talented than they let on. Not just pop stars. For instance, who would have thought Paris Hilton could have come up with the hilarious self parodic slap down of John McCain (plus adding policy on the run) two elections ago?

Don't be fooled - a part of the game is for stars to hide their brains. Being brainy is about as sexy in contemporary popular culture as it was at school.

For the record, I'm not a fan of bubblegum pop and teen metal, just saying ...

PS. Meg's approach to time stems from the Salvadore Dali school ... he used to say "time is flexible".

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
you guys are right.

Not quite the same argument though is it?

He's a respectable musician because he can play his instrument. Are you honestly gonna sit there and tell me he can't?

We may not like the music he plays......we don't have to, we have the choice of not listening. But claiming he's a terrible drummer just because you don't like what he plays is a weak argument. Not to your tastes perhaps, but terrible? Come on mate.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Correct Brian. Justin is a very naturally talented kid. Gaga plays keys and writes her material - another natural talent. Don't know the others you mentioned.
I would say Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber are very far from having a "natural talent".

Quote:
Not quite the same argument though is it?

He's a respectable musician because he can play his instrument. Are you honestly gonna sit there and tell me he can't?

We may not like the music he plays......we don't have to, we have the choice of not listening. But claiming he's a terrible drummer just because you don't like what he plays is a weak argument. Not to your tastes perhaps, but terrible? Come on mate.
True, he can play his instrument, to a degree, therefore he is more worthy respectable than the others, the point I wanted to make is just because someone is successful doesn't mean they are worthy of respect.

There are tons of terrible musicians that are successful, mainly because at the root of it music is more about the money than the art to them.

Whether Slipknot is more about the art or the money I can't honestly say, they do seem fairly passionate about their music from interviews and I do genuinely respect them for that. But their success doesn't earn them any respect in my eyes, nor their playing abilities.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

The music that gets airplay may not make it obvious, but Lady Gaga is very f***ing talented and needs to not be included in the "here's a bunch of names of people who suck" lists.
/tangent
Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
The music that gets airplay may not make it obvious, but Lady Gaga is very f***ing talented and needs to not be included in the "here's a bunch of names of people who suck" lists.
/tangent
links plz

I believe you, I can see people think that one of my favorite bands, Metric, is terrible for the music they have on the radio, but I know if I go on youtube and search for Lady Gaga songs all I'm going to find the shitty ones.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

Lady Gaga, or Stefani Germanotta, knows exactly what she is doing. She has been singing a long time (there are videos of her out there in a Zeppelin cover band and in another pop duo before she adopted her most well-known moniker), and is enjoying her time in the spotlight and building her brand (quite successfully). Joey Jordison, same deal. It doesn't matter what we think, he's Joey Jordison, and that brand is working pretty well for him. Another good example is Psy (Gangnam guy). He is Berklee educated, but they would never advertise that. These are people who understand their target market and have the resources and ability to successfully appeal and sell to that market. No hate from me.

Now, if we're talking strictly in terms of what I regard as good music or difficult music, or what have you, then that's a different story. But nobody stays famous by accident.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
.... Slipknot ..... drummer Jordison ......

Can I get some thoughts on this?
13 pages worth, right here http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...rdison&page=13
Old 01-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfLad View Post
Lady Gaga, or Stefani Germanotta, knows exactly what she is doing. She has been singing a long time (there are videos of her out there in a Zeppelin cover band and in another pop duo before she adopted her most well-known moniker), and is enjoying her time in the spotlight and building her brand (quite successfully). Joey Jordison, same deal. It doesn't matter what we think, he's Joey Jordison, and that brand is working pretty well for him. Another good example is Psy (Gangnam guy). He is Berklee educated, but they would never advertise that. These are people who understand their target market and have the resources and ability to successfully appeal and sell to that market. No hate from me.

Now, if we're talking strictly in terms of what I regard as good music or difficult music, or what have you, then that's a different story. But nobody stays famous by accident.
Thank you for this post. Really, thank you.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
links plz

I believe you, I can see people think that one of my favorite bands, Metric, is terrible for the music they have on the radio, but I know if I go on youtube and search for Lady Gaga songs all I'm going to find the shitty ones.
Heh, fair enough. Here's a performance I dig, although it's not because it's just a good song, rather an opportunity to see her play and sing. The truth is that she doesn't really reveal this on any of the music on her albums. http://youtu.be/pYb1iiz5Y1w
Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
you guys are right.

While I won't argue with you about the success of these, I would not say they are respectable in the public eye. Yes people buy their stuff, but the majority of people would still have negative opinions of them.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrocker View Post
While I won't argue with you about the success of these, I would not say they are respectable in the public eye. Yes people buy their stuff, but the majority of people would still have negative opinions of them.
There is no band/group; even The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zep, The Who, Elvis, CCR, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Van Halen, ABBA, The Carpenters etc who have the 'majority' of public opinion going for them.

Joey Jordison?

Easy target; I remember people saying exactly the same thing about Neil Peart, Carl Palmer, Alan White, Mike Portnoy, Danny Carey...

BTW, yes I listen to some Slipknot and think it's OK. I also know there is much of what Joey plays that I can do on any afternoon when practising. BUT: How often is the line 'play for the song' bandied around? And lets be honest, does he do that?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

I never spend my days thinking about what Joey Jordison (or __blank__) does, doesn't do, can do, or can't do.

I spend them thinking about what I do and what I can do.

This has worked flawlessly for me for the last 26 years of drumming.

No doubt Joey has never worried about me, either, so I reckon it's all fair.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 AM
Renegade

Quote:
I would say Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber are very far from having a "natural talent".
Wrong Bri, they are both very naturally talented. They would have more natural talent than most on this forum. An unknown JB at age 12 came second in a vocals talent contest that was open to up to 18yo - without any coaching or lessons.

Is there any reason why you'd believe yourself to be more talented than him? Check out some documentaries ...

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-04-2013, 02:54 AM

I don't discriminate in music taste. Personally I don't think there really is bad music. No matter how terrible the song may be to people you know, somewhere out there, I'm sure at least 1 person likes it. As far as Justin Bieber, I hear a lot of bad rap on the kid - and yet he's got a new hit every other day it seems, and yet everyone hates him? Somebody has to be lying. His stuff wouldn't be played if nobody listened.

As far as Lady Gaga, I will shamelessly admit that I enjoy a lot of her music. I don't exactly have every album she's released, or wear her t-shirts, but the woman can sing, dance, and she's a looker, too. Nicki Minja is pretty much the embodiment of everything I dislike about music, but I can't really call it bad music because the millions of people who love her can't be deaf or complete morons... Or can they?

Last edited by SticksEasy; 01-04-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Wrong Bri, they are both very naturally talented. They would have more natural talent than most on this forum. An unknown JB at age 12 came second in a vocals talent contest that was open to up to 18yo - without any coaching or lessons.

Is there any reason why you'd believe yourself to be more talented than him? Check out some documentaries ...
http://youtu.be/OCIERHR61oM?t=17s

by watching this I can say his drummer is as good as Joey Jordison actually. In recent years.

However I don't consider anyone that has to lyp sync and auto-tune every song to be naturally talented.

not only that but he lyp synchs on programs about natural talent....

http://youtu.be/Ew9FGOnRP4M?t=2m22s

http://youtu.be/xPcA83blorg

I know I know I know, his original youtube videos WERE SO AMAZING

Except that those videos were marketed, filmed and designed at the base to make him famous, sure he could sing those videos(or bang on his guitar with his hands), I also suck at guitar but I can record a perfect track if I try 10,000 times.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

I'd say simple people need simple music for their simple ears and simple minds. So, these people fill that need.

The vast majority of the population on this planet are not all that intelligent.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I'd say simple people need simple music for their simple ears and simple minds. So, these people fill that need.
Um, I'm one of those simple people ... I've been on a Cure bender lately and there's nothing going on there that could be considered complicated. Sure, the execution is flawless and the soundscapes are lush and dark ... but complicated? Not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I like drumming that bends my mind as much as the next drum nerd (I can stomach a helluva lotta Weckl elevator music), but usually music by players for players is not terribly inspiring to me on some basic level. I actually kinda like basic and simple. One could easily construct an argument that talent transcends technical capability. Just depends on how you define talent.

Anyway, Joey ... pretty good drummer from the YT vids I've seen. I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but definitely not terrible.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

So you made me go watch a Slipknot video on youtube. That is a few minutes I will never get back - LOL. I could not possibly listen to even one of their songs without getting a headache. What a bizarre stage show and costumes. Complete with the lead singer cursing constantly. It's such foreign music to me I couldn't possibly judge the drummer's skills.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member

I think many people miss the point. It's not that he's a big deal because he's god's gift to drumming, he's a big deal because he plays well enough in a band a lot of people like.

Sure, we all know Vinnie Colaiuta is more talented, but that takes nothing away from the millions who think Charlie Watts is a great drummer too. Or the hundreds of other drummer many of us admire who also don't play quite as well as Vinnie Colaiuta. I mean, were we all supposed to say "well, Buddy was best, no one else is worth listening to" ? Of course not.

I love Neil Peart. Not because I think he's the worlds great drummer, he just happens to be a great drummer in on my favorite bands.

Slipknot isn't my thing. I once got one of their albums to see what the big deal was about, and I determined had no interest in becoming a fan. But Joey is certainly talented enough. He also plays guitar, and co-writes much of their material, and well as playing guitar in a side band.

So I suspect many Joey fans are not just fans because they think he's a good drummer, or because he just happens to be in a band they like, but because he helps write the songs that have made it their favorite band.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 AM

I'm a slipknot fan, and to me Joey gets the job done. Most of the stuff slipknot plays live is up to speed or faster, and Joey is able to accomplish that while putting on a great show. The guy is a better performer than anything else really, and for a touring musician that's key. Now, granted straight 16th double bass and toms are easy, try windmillng or head banging at those speeds while still playing clean.
I think Joey is just right for slipknot, and I think he's a solid drummer with great performing skills. By no means the best or fastest or most showy, but he definitely has his own unique style which is just right for what he does.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Gold Member

I've never been that interested in anything I have heard him play...and have found the makeup an unfortunate marketing gimmick.

...in the end, it is my loss to not enjoy a musicians attempt at entertainment...but I find it far worse to dumb down my opinions so I can have a marketable illusion of 'loving everything'...something often done and just as unfortunate as using makeup to market music/musicians.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Renegade

Otto ... "have found the makeup an unfortunate marketing gimmick".

I'd call it a successful image designed to please their young fans.

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Otto ... "have found the makeup an unfortunate marketing gimmick".

I'd call it a successful image designed to please their young fans.
As would I.

How many people were "OMGOMGOMG" when they took off the masks? All of them.