DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old 12-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Bad Tempered Clavier's Avatar
Bad Tempered Clavier Bad Tempered Clavier is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 567
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Rock 22". To echo what Nerflad alluded to, the shell packs I have had over the years typically been standardised to the Rock configuration - i.e. 12, 13,16, 22. I doubt this is relevant to your survey, but I'm on the lookout for a 10, 12, 14, 20 shell pack that I would use for exactly the same type of music but I just fancy something a little more portable (I'm thinking mass rather than volume).
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 12-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Trip McNealy's Avatar
Trip McNealy Trip McNealy is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 696
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Rock/Pop/Alternative

22x16
__________________
I've been drumming for 35 years. I'm 34 years old.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 12-30-2012, 09:53 PM
oldrockdrummer's Avatar
oldrockdrummer oldrockdrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 364
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Hard Rock / Classic Rock 22x18
__________________
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results each time" Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 PM
RevWrona's Avatar
RevWrona RevWrona is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 129
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?
Jazz
18
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopata View Post
Wonder what genre this guy plays?

Remo Belli
Jazz
................
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 PM
autonomos's Avatar
autonomos autonomos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 148
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

rock, 22" ...

..
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,737
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfLad View Post
We should plot out the bass drum sizes of a good sample size of non-custom shell-packs on the market in the past 10 years. I have a feeling that many drummers out there are playing a 22" bass drum because that's what came with their kit... (a category I fall into)
I suppose I somewhat fall into that category. I had to settle for a 12" rack tom in order to get a 24" kick. I got the kick I wanted but a dinky rack tom. I suppose it has grown on me over the years though.
__________________
My Kit
Snares
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 12-31-2012, 12:03 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,767
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Probably best not to add Remo's big bass drum. At a guesstimation of 120" it would have skewed the jazz result to an average of about 29" :)

Those shell packs really have made their mark - 46% of all bass drums listed so far are 22".
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 12-31-2012, 12:19 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,448
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

I own:

2 22" bass drums. One in a playable condition, played every now and then.
A 16" bass drum - played occasionally.
A 20" bass drum. This is my 'main' drum.

What kind of music I play? Ostensibly 'Rock' but I dabble in other styles and am irritatingly fickle.

So 50% of my bass drums are 22". Of the 'playable' drums, I'm down to 33%. If we take that 33% rather than the 50% then my average size is 19.3 (recurring) inches. In terms of playing time over the last 12 months then it's more like 18.8 - the 22" hasn't been played much since January and I've been playing the 20" since May.

Hopefully I'll mess up all the statistics.
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,767
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I own:

2 22" bass drums. One in a playable condition, played every now and then.
A 16" bass drum - played occasionally.
A 20" bass drum. This is my 'main' drum.

What kind of music I play? Ostensibly 'Rock' but I dabble in other styles and am irritatingly fickle.

So 50% of my bass drums are 22". Of the 'playable' drums, I'm down to 33%. If we take that 33% rather than the 50% then my average size is 19.3 (recurring) inches. In terms of playing time over the last 12 months then it's more like 18.8 - the 22" hasn't been played much since January and I've been playing the 20" since May.

Hopefully I'll mess up all the statistics.
20", rock. Thank you, Duncan ;-)

Just thinking, I would have expected more funk and fusion but maybe they are more often secondary genres? Would have expected more pop too.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:00 AM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,523
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
20", rock. Thank you, Duncan ;-)
Hahaha... Nice one Grea, very short, straight to the point :)

Hey Dunc, you could have saved yourself a lot of typing, lol.
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,448
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Ah sod off, the lot of you!
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,523
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Ah sod off, the lot of you!
:) :) :)
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,767
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Ah sod off, the lot of you!
Oops, should have gone with 18.8" figure, after all ...

Current rock average with your BD at 20" would be 22.6363636363636. If adjusted to 18.8" it would be 22.5511111111111. I thought you might like to know that.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:26 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,448
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Great success!

Blade Runner is on. I mention this to fill the twenty character limit.
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 AM
NerfLad's Avatar
NerfLad NerfLad is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 658
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Hmm, 22.64 average for rock/loud. This perhaps grants some credibility to John Good's 23" bass drums that were laughed at a few years ago...
__________________
Not banned (yet)
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,767
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfLad View Post
Hmm, 22.64 average for rock/loud. This perhaps grants some credibility to John Good's 23" bass drums that were laughed at a few years ago...
Or 22.55 :)

Why would people laugh at a 23", other than troubles buying new heads?
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 12-31-2012, 02:34 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,305
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

I think there may be something to the fact that 22" drums are often the only choice for a given kit, and that is why they are so prolific. I know I played a 22 for years for that very reason, and never really liked it. Went back to the 24 for this latest kit and I much prefer it.

I like small bass drums, as well, but for my current needs the 24 works. One day I'd like to have a second kit, and that one will have either an 18 or 20.

Sorry - unnecessary commentary cluttering the works.

Carry on!!
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 12-31-2012, 02:53 AM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 3,348
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
...
Current rock average with your BD at 20" would be 22.6363636363636. If adjusted to 18.8" it would be 22.5511111111111. I thought you might like to know that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I think there may be something to the fact that 22" drums are often the only choice for a given kit, and that is why they are so prolific....!

I could have saved you some trouble, ALP, but you're probably just doing this for fun.

You'll most likely end up with a typical 'bell curve' with 22" at the peak, and sloping off gradually by size in each direction.


Currently, I use mostly 20, followed by 18, but I don't gig.
When I played out ages ago, I used a 22 and played rock. But don't you dare put me down for a 22 - LOL.
20 or nothing.
If you have to pick just one, put me down for 20/rock, or 18/jazz - your choice.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,767
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

22 was it, wildbill? ;-)

+1 your Bell Curve comment. Below, the first chart includes all genres and the distortion is caused by most jazzers' replying having 18" BDs. When filtered to just include rock, then we have a cleaner curve.

I actually enjoyed my job before retirement - I just disliked getting up to an alarm, commuting, meetings and politicised decision making!

Just to make sure everyone is happy with their representation:

Midnite Zephyr rock 22
IDDrummer rock 24
Gvdadrummasum jazz 20
JayJohnson777 rock 26
Red Menace rock 24
MisterZero rock 22
nirvanadrummer rock 24
leoyucht jazz 18
Anon La Ply lounge 16
Dirtysticks rock 22
AlParrot rock 20
Bonzobilly rock 24
Lunar Satellite Brian metal 22
Caddwumpus world 20
Taye Dyed rock 20
Silverfox experimental 22
Greaser rock 22
Drum-El rock 24
Pocket-full-of-gold rock 22
Evolving Machine jazz 18
Swexx rock 22
keep it simple rock 20
Deathmetalconga lounge 18
sonnygrabber blues 22
xsarith metal 22
swiNg rock 24
gaz farrimond rock 22
dmacc jazz 18
dino68 rock 24
wsabol rock 22
aaajn blues 18
Naigeron rock 24
Scopata rock 22
jamjohn rock 22
MaryO rock 20
KarlCrafton rock 26
Bull metal 26
Gruntersdad rock 22
OrangeAgent27 rock 18
Drumolator rock 18
tamadrm rock 22
Toolate rock 26
Boomstand rock 28
Aeolian blues 18
opentune rock 20
lsits rock 22
HarryConway rock 26
MikeM rock 24
mmulcahy1 rock 22
drumdruid rock 24
Mad About Drums rock 22
slowrocker rock 22
Vegas Island rock 26
NerfLad rock 22
Groove1 jazz 18
Beam Me Up Scotty metal 22
8Mile jazz 18
PQleyR metal 26
Numberless jazz 16
Bad Tempered Clavier rock 22
Trip McNealy rock 22
oldrockdrummer rock 22
RevWrona jazz 18
autonomos rock 22
BacteriumFendYolk rock 20
wildbill rock 20

BTW, where are the funksters? ... the Garibaldi and Chambers disciples? What about the fusioneers?

Jazz ... if someone says they play both rock and jazz I assume that to mean "mostly rock with some jazz or jazzy pop". In my experience serious jazz players (who play full jazz gigs and are accepted as "cats" in jazz circles) generally consider jazz a full time effort and, if they play any rock to make ends meet, they wouldn't mention it in this context.

If you are an exception to this assumption and I've wrongfully lumped you into the rock bag, by all means be a squeaky wheel!
Attached Images
 
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 12-31-2012, 05:01 AM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 3,348
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
....
Jazz ... if someone says they play both rock and jazz I assume that to mean "mostly rock with some jazz or jazzy pop". In my experience serious jazz players (who play full jazz gigs and are accepted as "cats" in jazz circles) generally consider jazz a full time effort and, if they play any rock to make ends meet, they wouldn't mention it in this context.

If you are an exception to this assumption and I've wrongfully lumped you into the rock bag, by all means be a squeaky wheel!


Approved.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post

--> What is your main style? (pls choose 1)
...

Except for this ^^^^. No fair making the rules, and then bitching about them. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 12-31-2012, 05:16 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,767
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Except for this ^^^^. No fair making the rules, and then bitching about them. LOL
Can you imagine the complexity if we added extra parameters? I had a Genre2 columns there just in case but lost interest after the first tables looked like the kind of abstruse nerdiness that drummers may not want to bother with in their free time.

Of course, if payment is on offer, I could provide a proper statistical report with a more thorough questionnaire and analyses :D

You know how it is, BIll ... quit the smokes, increase the bitching. Might make a NY reso. Positive thoughts, positive action! (fantasies about positive results don't work but focused visualisation of particular tasks does, as per the famous basketball penalties experiment).
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,448
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

I'm thinking a straight histogram would be more appropriate than a bell-line given that we're working with non-continuous variables, Grea!

/Nitpick

Now this really is turning into my old job...
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 12-31-2012, 05:46 AM
slowrocker's Avatar
slowrocker slowrocker is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 552
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

It is hard though for a lot of drummers to stick with one style. For me, I love playing different styles. I try to balance out several styles and be influenced by multiple styles. My usual style is more rock, and I am not a jazz drummer, but I try to play a decent amount of jazz and improve my jazz playing. I also absolutely love the blues and play that way sometimes. I think some drummers get burned out playing one style all of the time. This isn't a bad idea for a thread, but I think a lot of drummers now play two or more styles. I'm a little surprised though at the sizes. I would think more people play 24 or 26". It is interesting to see what people classify themselves as.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 12-31-2012, 05:52 AM
Siblings Siblings is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Mine is 28" bass drum
__________________
Enjoy your holiday in Sri Lanka at magnificent villas in Galle
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 12-31-2012, 06:23 AM
RVN's Avatar
RVN RVN is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spring, TX USA
Posts: 35
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Rock 24

...........................................
__________________
RVN
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,737
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Jazz ... if someone says they play both rock and jazz I assume that to mean "mostly rock with some jazz or jazzy pop". In my experience serious jazz players (who play full jazz gigs and are accepted as "cats" in jazz circles) generally consider jazz a full time effort and, if they play any rock to make ends meet, they wouldn't mention it in this context.

If you are an exception to this assumption and I've wrongfully lumped you into the rock bag, by all means be a squeaky wheel!
I'm sort of somewhere between genres at the moment. Started off as a hard hitting, matched grippin' rock drummer then with the help of much practice, lessons and changing musical tastes I became an old-timey,groove swingin', trad grippin', snare tilting drummer.

I don't really play jazz gigs yet because my jazz chops are in no way up to the level of hanging with the real jazz cats...yet. I concede to the category of Rock drummer for now, a swingin rock drummer though.

Ok, I've squeaked my piece.
__________________
My Kit
Snares
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 12-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,523
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Just to make sure everyone is happy with their representation:


BacteriumFendYolk rock 20
LOL ... or is it LOLK... :)
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 PM
SquadLeader's Avatar
SquadLeader SquadLeader is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Near Manchester, Great Britain
Posts: 743
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Fast/pacey/melodic punk rock.

I use a 20" bass drum
__________________
I lost my bag at Newport Pagnell.....
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM
PQleyR's Avatar
PQleyR PQleyR is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Godalming, UK
Posts: 2,269
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Interesting that the range goes 6" in either direction from the median value. A 30" or 14" bass drum wouldn't be unimaginable but it seems like 22" is all the averages, if you round up the mean! There must be something about that size in particular.
__________________
Drummer for Gloryhammer
My facebook page
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 PM
SquadLeader's Avatar
SquadLeader SquadLeader is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Near Manchester, Great Britain
Posts: 743
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
Interesting that the range goes 6" in either direction from the median value. A 30" or 14" bass drum wouldn't be unimaginable but it seems like 22" is all the averages, if you round up the mean! There must be something about that size in particular.
I know pretty much jack shit about drum equipment compared to most on here.

I would have said the 'standard' bass drum size is a 22" just from the number of times I've seen 22" compared to any other.
__________________
I lost my bag at Newport Pagnell.....
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,523
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
I know pretty much jack shit about drum equipment compared to most on here.

I would have said the 'standard' bass drum size is a 22" just from the number of times I've seen 22" compared to any other.
The "standard" configuration offered by all the major brands across all their model lines is indeed in a 22" config.
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM
SquadLeader's Avatar
SquadLeader SquadLeader is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Near Manchester, Great Britain
Posts: 743
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
The "standard" configuration offered by all the major brands across all their model lines is indeed in a 22" config.
Is 20" considered "fusion" or is that reserved for 18" and smaller ??
__________________
I lost my bag at Newport Pagnell.....
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,523
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
Is 20" considered "fusion" or is that reserved for 18" and smaller ??
A 20" config is often labelled as "fusion" or "recording", alongside the 10", 12" and 14" toms instead of the "standard" config comprising 22" kick, 12", 13" and 16" toms.

18" bass drum config are generally labelled "jazz", with a typical 12" and 14" toms.




Sorry Grea, this has nothing to do with your survey, just a little detour in the world of marketing :)
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 12-31-2012, 02:10 PM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 3,348
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Can you imagine the complexity if we added extra parameters? ...
Don't forget gender. And of course, hair length - short, medium, long and none. LOL


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
You know how it is, BIll ... quit the smokes, increase the bitching. ...
Sounds like a good subject for a New Year's Resolution thread. But if you've quit, I wish you good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 PM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 3,348
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
A 20" config is often labelled as "fusion" or "recording", alongside the 10", 12" and 14" toms instead of the "standard" config comprising 22" kick, 12", 13" and 16" toms.

18" bass drum config are generally labelled "jazz", with a typical 12" and 14" toms.




Sorry Grea, this has nothing to do with your survey, just a little detour in the world of marketing :)

Depends on the manufacturer too. I think some also use a 20 in their kits classified as jazz. I've seen several sets with 24's called 'rock' too.
I'm not sure how helpful it is to classify sets by their sizes, other than to help people who self-identify with a specific genre.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 PM
drstrangefunk's Avatar
drstrangefunk drstrangefunk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Carolina del Norte
Posts: 435
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Classic Rock

22" ( x 18")
__________________
The Most Beautiful Words In The English Language Are: We Might Could.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 PM
NerfLad's Avatar
NerfLad NerfLad is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 658
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
BTW, where are the funksters? ... the Garibaldi and Chambers disciples? What about the fusioneers?

Jazz ... if someone says they play both rock and jazz I assume that to mean "mostly rock with some jazz or jazzy pop". In my experience serious jazz players (who play full jazz gigs and are accepted as "cats" in jazz circles) generally consider jazz a full time effort and, if they play any rock to make ends meet, they wouldn't mention it in this context.

If you are an exception to this assumption and I've wrongfully lumped you into the rock bag, by all means be a squeaky wheel!
Well a one-word or one-genre classification never tells the full story. My band has guitars and backbeats, but I don't just consider it "rock", and though that was what I went with for myself, I'm not a true rock drummer. We play a lot of 60's soul and funk, Bill Withers, The Meters, Curtis Mayfield -- alongside southern rock and jam band music like the Allman Brothers, Government Mule, Grateful Dead -- alongside funk/fusion like Jaco Pastorius or Erykah Badu -- alongside classic Blues like BB King and Robert Johnson.

In other words, working musicians can never fully squeeze themselves into one pigeonhole, and they shouldn't have to. I understand that in this instance it's necessary for statistical purposes but I like the idea of just taking the genre portion out of it all together. Buddy Rich or Daniel Glass would skew the jazz results to the big end if they had participated! In my opinion there is credence to "the band determines the bass drum", but I think you really can do anything with a 20". I really ought to order that 20 x 14 Saturn I've been holding off on...
__________________
Not banned (yet)
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Kelly!'s Avatar
Kelly! Kelly! is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 140
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

22x20 for rock gigs
20x20 funk

I love the 20in depth!!
__________________
Shine Customs / OCDP black brass snare / Paiste '02s
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 01-01-2013, 12:03 AM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 3,348
Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfLad View Post
Well a one-word or one-genre classification never tells the full story. My band has guitars and backbeats, but I don't just consider it "rock", and though that was what I went with for myself, I'm not a true rock drummer. We play a lot of 60's soul and funk, Bill Withers, The Meters, Curtis Mayfield -- alongside southern rock and jam band music like the Allman Brothers, Government Mule, Grateful Dead -- alongside funk/fusion like Jaco Pastorius or Erykah Badu -- alongside classic Blues like BB King and Robert Johnson.

In other words, working musicians can never fully squeeze themselves into one pigeonhole, and they shouldn't have to. I understand that in this instance it's necessary for statistical purposes but I like the idea of just taking the genre portion out of it all together. Buddy Rich or Daniel Glass would skew the jazz results to the big end if they had participated! In my opinion there is credence to "the band determines the bass drum", but I think you really can do anything with a 20". I really ought to order that 20 x 14 Saturn I've been holding off on...

I agree with all this^^^^.
And would add that IMO, most of the sub-categories that were originally listed fall under the large umbrella of 'rock'.
And yes, NerfLad, getting that 20 x 14 Saturn bass sounds like a good idea.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com