DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-26-2012, 05:20 PM

Default Iron Cobra Wood Beaters (I want my beater response back!!)

Hello, all. Right now, Im using DW plastic beaters with Danmar metal click pads on my bass drums. I want to change it up, but I need something with just as much attack. I was thinking of the IC wood beaters, and Remo Falam Slams on each. What do you guys think? The cutting attack of the metal click pads is nice, but the beater response is horrible, and I want that back. Anyone have any other suggestions to keep the attack, and get my pedal response back? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:19 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Iron Cobra Wood Beaters(I want my beater response back!!)

I tried a crap load of beaters about 10 years ago myself.

Are you changing just to change things up?

The DW beater face is pretty large compared to most other beaters--which is actually why I use them.

The IC beater isn't going to get as full a sound with the smaller surface and lighter weight.

Gibraltar has a beater that has the adjustable head to sit flat on the head. It's a bit lighter than the DW.

Slug beaters are pretty nice, and adjust as well.

Puresound has one called a Speedball. This one is Blue colored, and has the adjustable head too.

Pearl's Quad face beater gets a pretty nice sound, and it's a bit lighter than the DW also.

I tried more than these, but the DW had the best sound on the bass drum to me, and to the other guy's in the band when I tested everything out.

All you can do is try things for yourself on your bass drum to find what you like best--and hopefully it doesn't end up costing too much!!

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe you should go old skool and try the old fashioned wooden beater. Can't go wrong with that one, eh?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Maybe you should go old skool and try the old fashioned wooden beater. Can't go wrong with that one, eh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6NrEdLAPQE

Seems to be what Gene uses along with a Flam-slam patch. He seems to get a nice punch out of them.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:07 PM

What I want to change is that I want the natural feel of the skin back. Not the stop-dead-on-a-dime feel I get using that 1/4" thick piece of aluminum. But I NEED the loud cutting attack of hitting that 1/4" piece of aluminum, and I was wondering if anyone ever used that combo before; the IC wood beaters with Falam Slam patch. I know there will be a heck of a difference in weight between the IC and the DW beaters, as well, but I can use the weights accordingly.
And as for the Gene clip, Cant really go by it cause its being professionally recorded, eq'd, compressed, and all that great jazz lol. But, yea, thats essentially the combo Id want, except with the flatter faced IC beater.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

I had a look at a trick pedal in store once and it had this really unique beater.

I guess with a plastic/kevlar patch protecting the head you're just playing switcheroo.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Iron Cobra Wood Beaters (I want my beater response back!!)

The hard rubber IC beaters give a better rebound with a 15% click loss when combined with a falam patch. The tuning of your kick drum dramatically changes your rebound, I'd suggest attempting different tunnings before going all out on your beaters.