DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-03-2012, 10:19 PM

Default recording equipment

Im new to recording, and for christmas i plan on getting some kinda recording equipment, and i was wondering what kinda of stuff i need to get and for how much would that be approx.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: recording equipment

Well the first question is what are you looking to record? Yourself, band, individual instruments? What is your desired final output that you want to use the recordings for?

The obvious is mics, mic stands or mounts, recording software, digital interface for your computer, a powered mixer of some type.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Well the first question is what are you looking to record? Yourself, band, individual instruments? What is your desired final output that you want to use the recordings for?

The obvious is mics, mic stands or mounts, recording software, digital interface for your computer, a powered mixer of some type.
well, im looking to record myself, for covers, and stuff for my band. what do you think about using garage band for the recording software? just temporarily though
Old 11-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

This is my setup:

- Crappy PC with fast hard drive
- TASCAM 1800 (8x XLR inputs, 8x 1/4" inputs) $249
- CAD Premium Tour 7-piece mic set $199
- Shure SM57 (snare) $100
- Mk1000 kick mic (the CAD one sucks) $50
- 8x XLR cables $120
- 2x boom mic stands $70
- 1x kick mic stand $35
- 1x snare mic stand $35
- Reaper recording software (free, but can purchase license)

Roughly $850, not including the PC cost. This is a pretty basic setup, but I can get some great results with my "home studio". Check out my YouTube or Soundcloud links in my signature to see/hear some samples.

Never used GarageBand, but I love Reaper. Great control, layout, as well as plug-in support.

I'll post a pic once I've downloaded them from my camera!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

I'm still surprised why not more people are into products like the Zoom R16 and R24. I got mine a little over a year ago and love it. For the most part, I like eliminating the computer from the equation and only in the mix-down stage do I send those tracks into the computer for final tweaking.

My R16 will record 8-tracks simultaneously (and record 16 total, the R24 will do 8-in, and 24 total), all recorded to SD card. Between that, and if you added a two-track recorder, like a Zoom Q3HD, that you'll do your videos we all like to watch on, you have a very powerful little studio to mix-down to. It just makes sense to me to eliminate all the stuff between the sound of your instruments and the final product. Less of a headache.

But that's just me ;)
Old 11-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I'm still surprised why not more people are into products like the Zoom R16 and R24. I got mine a little over a year ago and love it. For the most part, I like eliminating the computer from the equation and only in the mix-down stage do I send those tracks into the computer for final tweaking.

My R16 will record 8-tracks simultaneously (and record 16 total, the R24 will do 8-in, and 24 total), all recorded to SD card. Between that, and if you added a two-track recorder, like a Zoom Q3HD, that you'll do your videos we all like to watch on, you have a very powerful little studio to mix-down to. It just makes sense to me to eliminate all the stuff between the sound of your instruments and the final product. Less of a headache.

But that's just me ;)
good point Bo! Quick google search the Zoom R16 can be had for $359 just scanning a few on the first page

two good overhead condenser mic's and a good bass drum mic will be a good starting point for mics.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
good point Bo! Quick google search the Zoom R16 can be had for $359 just scanning a few on the first page

two good overhead condenser mic's and a good bass drum mic will be a good starting point for mics.
yeah...actually ive been thinking about starting off with one or two overheads and building on that, just running that through garage band temporarily?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanadrummer View Post
yeah...actually ive been thinking about starting off with one or two overheads and building on that, just running that through garage band temporarily?
You are going to need some type of interface to hook the mic's up to so you can get the sound into your computer.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
You are going to need some type of interface to hook the mic's up to so you can get the sound into your computer.
oh ok, sorry im really new to recording
Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Actually, the R16 also acts as an interface into the computer when you delve deeper into it. So you're set there. The Zoom is two things really, an interface into the computer, or a stand alone recorder. I record my tracks with it then dump those tracks into my Mac for mix down.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Actually, the R16 also acts as an interface into the computer when you delve deeper into it. So you're set there. The Zoom is two things really, an interface into the computer, or a stand alone recorder. I record my tracks with it then dump those tracks into my Mac for mix down.
Right but I think the OP was thinking he was just going to hook up mic's to his computer and use garage band to edit. That's why I mentioned an interface to go from Mic to computer. That R16 is a sweet little deal and the price isn't that bad for what it is.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Right but I think the OP was thinking he was just going to hook up mic's to his computer and use garage band to edit. That's why I mentioned an interface to go from Mic to computer. That R16 is a sweet little deal and the price isn't that bad for what it is.
you sir, are correct. I see now i was wrong in assuming that... but i dont really have the money for an r16
Old 11-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
you sir, are correct. I see now i was wrong in assuming that... but i dont really have the money for an r16
So three mics and an interface is cheaper than $400? Hmm.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
So three mics and an interface is cheaper than $400? Hmm.
actually i plan on getting one overhead just to start out and an interface
Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Pioneer Member

You'll need something like this.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-U...92-i1474245.gc

Or

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-i...80-i1533961.gc

I've never used one of zoom handy recorders but that may be an option to look at as well right now.

Edit: you were replying to Bo at the same time I was typing LOL!!. If you are looking at just one mic and an interface you might look into those zoom handy recorders.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
You'll need something like this.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-U...92-i1474245.gc

Or

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-i...80-i1533961.gc

I've never used one of zoom handy recorders but that may be an option to look at as well right now.

Edit: you were replying to Bo at the same time I was typing LOL!!. If you are looking at just one mic and an interface you might look into those zoom handy recorders.
yeah those look more like what im thinking of. Would i still need an interface with that?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
yeah those look more like what im thinking of. Would i still need an interface with that?
No I believe they can record onto and SD memory card and there is a USB plug on it.

This is just one of the one's zoom offers

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h1/spec/
Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
No I believe they can record onto and SD memory card and there is a USB plug on it.

This is just one of the one's zoom offers

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h1/spec/
cool...hmmm i have been looking at that q3hd for video and audio.....what do you think?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
cool...hmmm i have been looking at that q3hd for video and audio.....what do you think?
actually...zoom h1 or h2n?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
actually...zoom h1 or h2n?
Just a matter of what you can afford, if you can afford the H2N go for it.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Silver Member

Have a read... excellent resource that goes through all the pros/cons of field recorders, full interfaces, DAWs, etc.

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...Home-Recording
Old 11-10-2012, 04:21 PM

what would you say is the cheapest you can get mics and an interface?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Bottom line is get the best you can afford. Figure out a budget then start searching the web to see what you can come up with. I'd be searching e-bay for some used stuff.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

But that's just me ;)
I use a Yamaha Pocketrak and it makes terrific on-the-spot recordings. What's nice is you can set it out at practices, record the session, then plug it into someone's PC or laptop. All band members know to bring a jump drive to practice sessions and everyone leaves with a copy of the session. I use a Kodak PlayTouch with an Olympus stereo mic for recording gigs for YouTube.

If you want to make recordings for rehearsal critiquing, go with a pocket recorder and getting yourself and your band up on YouTube is essential these days. You want to make recordings to sell, then go to a studio.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I use a Yamaha Pocketrak and it makes terrific on-the-spot recordings. What's nice is you can set it out at practices, record the session, then plug it into someone's PC or laptop. All band members know to bring a jump drive to practice sessions and everyone leaves with a copy of the session. I use a Kodak PlayTouch with an Olympus stereo mic for recording gigs for YouTube.

If you want to make recordings for rehearsal critiquing, go with a pocket recorder and getting yourself and your band up on YouTube is essential these days. You want to make recordings to sell, then go to a studio.
Do you think portable recorders would work for demo cd's and such? Nothing to professional, just getting yourself out there? And what about drum covers?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 AM

Got a zoom h2n,and so far i am very happy with the results.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do you think portable recorders would work for demo cd's and such? Nothing to professional, just getting yourself out there? And what about drum covers?
Personally, I think demo CDs are obsolete. A good YouTube channel is the way to go and for that you need decent audio and video recordings, ideally a music video with studio quality audio, or at least some performances. Every musician should have their own YouTube channel.

The Pocketrack is good for capturing audio and I suppose you could distribute those recordings. But in terms of band promotion, in 2013, it is pointless to speak in terms of audio and not include video.