DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-23-2012, 07:36 AM

Default DW 9000 pedal users please chime in...

Are you using strap or chain? Explain your preference?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: DW 9000 pedal users please chime in...

I have one, but just got it. Too many other things to play around with before getting to the chain/strap. No complaints about the chain though - I'll probably leave it 'as-is' for quite a while.

I do have other pedals that use a strap drive and like them. Not a huge difference to me.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the response, I was beginning to wonder if I were alone :-). I agree the pedal has plenty to tinker with!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

I had one. Does that count?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Yup it sure does count.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskytool View Post
Yup it sure does count.
Well, you'll think I'm being negative about the pedal, but I was into it and it has a great feel. But the engineering sorta turned me off when I tried to deal with the spring on the inside of the post (as opposed to the outside where you can get to it. Everytime I wanted to make an adjustment to the spring tension, I had to take the pedal off the bass drum to fiddle with it. It looked cool upon first inspection but in practice it was a PITA. I quickly went back to using my ol' standby, the DW5000 pedal, and then eventually left DW altogether for simpler equipment.

But the 9000 feels really good and solid, as do all DW pedals. I just miss when they were this small company and they just bought the Camco design. If you look at the original Camco pedal and compare it to todays' 9000, alot of over-engineering has happened.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

I don't have a DW 9000 pedal and never have, but I use the Camco design for years, my comment is in regard of the chain vs strap in the OP.

I played most of my drummer's life with chain driven pedals, but 2 years ago, I switched to the strap drive and I have to say, the feel is much better for me, more direct, more supple, lighter than chain and I've gain much in control and accuracy.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Gold Member

I used a 5002 for ten years, loved it. I've been using the 9002 for the last 5 or 6 years now, and love it too. Yes, the 9000 does have alot of adjustments, but it only took me one day of tinkering with to get it where I wanted it. BTW, I'm using the chain drive on mine.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 12-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

There are a lot of adjustments that can be made, but most are a 'set it and forget it' type thing.
The spring adjustment is also like that. Not convenient at all. But once everything's dialed in for the response I want, I'll probably leave it alone.
Changing from the chain to the strap to try it out looks like a simple enough procedure, and I'll probably try it sometime down the road, but not right now.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Gold Member

Agree with Bo on the chain adjustment..it is definitely not as easy to adjust (with it on the inside of post)...I had the 9000's for about 5 yrs. before leaving them for Axis about 6 mos. ago..
Old 12-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

I'd say (like Bo) that the spring adjustment inside the post is the only gripe I have with it. If you tell that to the DW reps, they'll bombard you verbally with the smoothness you get by attaching a spring to the cam. Anyways though, it is a buttery smooth pedal. I use the chain, but it's now on the practice pad after moving to the Tricks.

I've always wondered the advantages of a strap to a chain?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
I'd say (like Bo) that the spring adjustment inside the post is the only gripe I have with it. If you tell that to the DW reps, they'll bombard you verbally with the smoothness you get by attaching a spring to the cam. Anyways though, it is a buttery smooth pedal. I use the chain, but it's now on the practice pad after moving to the Tricks.

After years of settling on the chain, I've finally moved back to a strap sometime earlier this year and have been loving it. It just feels a bit lighter and when I go to slam, it really feels like it. With how strong they're making straps these days, I doubt I'd ever go back to using a chain linkage. I've de-modified a Tama Iron Cobra Jr. by putting a cam and a strap on it, and when I went to a new Iron Cobra, I got the Flexi-Glide with the strap. Both amazing feels.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post

If the spring adjuster placement really does help with the smoothness, I can live with it.
I can change tension in about 10 seconds or so, without removing the pedal.
And this pedal is smooth - for sure.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

About this ^^^^.

I currently have 9 pedals - 4 have strap and 5 have chain drive. For almost all of the many years I've been playing, I only used strap drive. It's only in the last year that I've gotten some chain drive pedals.
I'll say that there was no 'adjustment' period, as in getting used to a different feel or anything like that.
If there's a difference because of weight or friction or any other factor, it's insignificant (at least to me), in the overall scheme of pedal land.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:45 AM

I'm with Bo on the adjustment of the DW 9000 series single bass drum pedal. I used one for about a year, but have switched back to an Iron Cobra. The IC has more adjustments that suit me anyway. The pedal height is one that is important for me. I just can't get the right height with the DW 9000.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 AM

Thanks for all of the replies.

Some will laugh but I developed a technique on the DW 5000 pedal for adjusting the spring tension with one hand, which I now use on the 9000.

You loosen the round top nut multiple turns, then push down on it (the round nut) with forefinger and thumb which displaces the long hex head nut on bottom from the pedal frame. Just use the pinky on same hand to spin the hex nut right or left, then let go and spring snaps it back into place, twist to insure it is seated properly then retighten the round lock nut back down and viola. Seriously this takes all of 30 seconds to accomplish. Hardest part to me is clearing the belly from my drum throne!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies.

Some will laugh but I developed a technique on the DW 5000 pedal for adjusting the spring tension with one hand, which I now use on the 9000.

You loosen the round top nut multiple turns, then push down on it (the round nut) with forefinger and thumb which displaces the long hex head nut on bottom from the pedal frame. Just use the pinky on same hand to spin the hex nut right or left, then let go and spring snaps it back into place, twist to insure it is seated properly then retighten the round lock nut back down and viola. Seriously this takes all of 30 seconds to accomplish. Hardest part to me is clearing the belly from my drum throne!

Yep - that's pretty much what I've been doing, but using both hands. I'll have to give your method a try.
Time it once - it really does take about 10 seconds once you've got your hands on it. You can do it much faster than to write about it. I don't think the spring placement is that big of a deal. I haven't had to change a spring though. Might have to remove the pedal to do that.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

Actually guys, I suppose the spring tension adjustment thing isn't too bad. Only when I first got the pedal years back, did I have to fiddle with it to dial in the magical tension (both hands of course).

Unless you have specific songs that require radical tension adjustments, you're good to go until you decide on another feel.

This is the smoothest pedal I've played and I love the single. I wish they packaged the double with an industrial grade U joint axle. They sell an upgrade for $320. Unfortunately that prices it
into the Trick Pedal category.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 PM

I've got the new DW9002 pedal. Works fantastic, offers every adjustment you can think of, and seems to be sturdy. Sure, you can complain about the spring being inside the support, but really...who the hell changes spring tension that much?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm thinking about ,talking about getting one....anyone else.:):):)

Steve B
Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Well, after using it for a bit, the only sort of complaint I have is that I wish the foot board was a little bit longer. Not a complaint really, just something to put on the wish list.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 AM

I picked up a dw 9002 (not the newest model) this past black Friday (249 at GC after coupo s couldn't pass it up). I have been seriously pleased with it. Out of the box the spring tension was just right. Only a minor adjust to beater angle need and I was off to the races. Crazy smooth pedal and I haven't noticed any slave lag (but I am not a blaster). Anyway, I like the chain. I may try the included strap someday, but for now I am having too much fun to take it apart.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 PM

I was browsing my local drumshop, and came across a pair of used 9000s for very low price. When I bought them, they only didnt have the chains with them. They told me that they would call when they had the chains in. I have always played with chains, but the straps were AMAZING. I have the chains, but I dont use them because I like the feel of the strap better because it plays faster, lighter, and smoother, which is essential when playing doublebass patterns
Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
I'm thinking about ,talking about getting one....anyone else.:):):)

Steve B
I think you should treat yourself this new year and go get one. Only your foot can tell you if you'll like it or not. I do admit to loving it, there were other factors that made me not like it. But I do recommend it to others. It's probably one of the best pedals on the market regardless of what I think.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Changed it to a strap as soon as I got it and never looked back. I love this pedal, and the felt beater sounds perfect for how I play.

Quote:
I think you should treat yourself this new year and go get one. Only your foot can tell you if you'll like it or not. I do admit to loving it, there were other factors that made me not like it. But I do recommend it to others. It's probably one of the best pedals on the market regardless of what I think.
And look around! I got my 9000 from Guitar Center for almost $300 off because it's last year's model. The only differences are- different nut for adjusting cam shape - new model has rubber on bottom instead of velcro - new model has rubber in the bass drum clamp, but none of those are a big deal.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 AM

I made up enough valid points for why I needed a dw9000 and picked one up this weekend. I really do love it. I didn't have a problem with my 15 year old 5000, but was tired of moving that one back and forth from my ekit back over to my acoustics(just one of my valid points)The 9000 is better.

What's the difference in feel with the strap instead of chain?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
I made up enough valid points for why I needed a dw9000 and picked one up this weekend. I really do love it. I didn't have a problem with my 15 year old 5000, but was tired of moving that one back and forth from my ekit back over to my acoustics(just one of my valid points)The 9000 is better.

What's the difference in feel with the strap instead of chain?
I don't think it's the material of the connection, it's the eccentric cam that you use when you have a strap. I love it - my pedals really feel like they're slamming when I go for it. Having less weight (from a chain) seems to accentuate that feeling because you're moving less mass.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Silver Member

I had a DW 9000 for a few months and could never get comfortable with it. I ended up trading it and bought a Sonor Perfect Balance (JoJo Mayer) pedal. I found the DW 9000 felt too heavy for me. I had owned a DW 5000 and did not like that either. I prefer the round cam and strap drive and fold up feature of the Sonor PB pedal.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't think it's the material of the connection, it's the eccentric cam that you use when you have a strap. I love it - my pedals really feel like they're slamming when I go for it. Having less weight (from a chain) seems to accentuate that feeling because you're moving less mass.
The cam...? I keep it at the same setting all the time. Totally round :)

That said the strap also sort of accentuates a "rubber band" feel because of the very slight stretching/catch up that the fibers do when pulled hard by the footboard.

Last edited by porter; 01-08-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

Though I haven't tried the strap yet, I'm sure that the cam can be fully adjusted, using either the strap or chain.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Though I haven't tried the strap yet, I'm sure that the cam can be fully adjusted, using either the strap or chain.
sorry, I meant that I keep it at the same setting all the time, not that it's stuck.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 PM

Love my 9000, chains working great for me !
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
....it's the eccentric cam that you use when you have a strap....
Quote:
Originally Posted by abapicaltaenia View Post
sorry, I meant that I keep it at the same setting all the time, not that it's stuck.
Indirect communication is funny sometimes. You were responding to Bo, and so was I, but I didn't quote him.
Anyways, the way he phrased it, someone who doesn't have the pedal might think that if you use the strap, you have to set the cam for eccentric action.
But, strap or chain, you can set the cam to eccentric or concentric, or anywhere in between.
I think most people will find the setting they're most comfortable with, and then just leave it there.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 AM
Platinum Member

I actually tried the exaggerating cam the other day and felt the difference, definitely, but it felt too... slick. The cam made it hard to hit a mezzopiano-mezzoforte dynamic, and I like my dynamics!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Well, I just changed out the chain for the strap. But I did so many other adjustments to it that I can't say how much change just doing that has made.
I'm trying to learn a new technique, so I removed the heel plate. It works much better now for that technique, but it's a little uncomfortable that way. Probably not made like the heel-less one that come that way.
Also changed out the self-locking nut on the bottom of the chain for a regular nut, till I get everything dialed in the way I want it. Then I'll put the self locker back on.
There's no pressure for me to have things working for gigs or whatever, so I'm just goofing around with stuff now, trying to see what works best.

EDIT: OK - my DW9000 exploration is over - ha ha. Most pedals it doesn't matter to me, but this is one on which I definitely prefer the chain. Maybe I've just gotten used to it that way, but it's back on and staying there. The heel plate is also back on. It's much more comfortable that way.
I was impressed with this pedal for the way I play, and that's how I'll use it. I've got other pedals that seem to work better for different techniques, like heel/toe, for example.
But that and constant release, and other techniques are fairly new to me, and I'm not proficient enough with them yet to incorporate them into my normal playing, which the DW complements very well, pretty much the way it was shipped out.

Last edited by wildbill; 01-30-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Silver Member

I was a big fan of the straps for The 9000 until one of them frayed and almost snapped within a month of using them! I couldn't believe the price of them either. 34 for two!

So now I'm back to chain and I love it, I'm just going to stick with it.

The spring being on the inside has never bothered me one bit, sure it's a little unconventional but it doesn't make it that difficult to adjust. Besides someone said it already, if you set it to how you like it then it's unlikely you'll need to adjust it.

One gripe I had when I first started playing them is where the beater housing is situated. It's so low down that the beater doesn't strike high-enough on the bass drum as I would like so I combated that with some Danmar redwood extended beaters (roughly about an inch longer than the standard beaters).

Saying that, another gripe I had with them was the locking screw for the right-hand beater is lower down than that of the left-hand beater which means you can only set the beaters as high as the right screw allows. Bit silly really, why not just keep them the same? I like to have my beaters near maximum length for power, swing and impact.

Terrific pedals, now they just need to lower the price of their replacement parts and supply with a better connector rod for the double and everyone will be happy.

But overall I love using them and the chain is serving me very well.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1 View Post
I was a big fan of the straps for The 9000 until one of them frayed and almost snapped within a month of using them! I couldn't believe the price of them either. 34 for two!

So now I'm back to chain and I love it, I'm just going to stick with it.

The spring being on the inside has never bothered me one bit, sure it's a little unconventional but it doesn't make it that difficult to adjust. Besides someone said it already, if you set it to how you like it then it's unlikely you'll need to adjust it.

One gripe I had when I first started playing them is where the beater housing is situated. It's so low down that the beater doesn't strike high-enough on the bass drum as I would like so I combated that with some Danmar redwood extended beaters (roughly about an inch longer than the standard beaters).

Saying that, another gripe I had with them was the locking screw for the right-hand beater is lower down than that of the left-hand beater which means you can only set the beaters as high as the right screw allows. Bit silly really, why not just keep them the same? I like to have my beaters near maximum length for power, swing and impact.

Terrific pedals, now they just need to lower the price of their replacement parts and supply with a better connector rod for the double and everyone will be happy.

But overall I love using them and the chain is serving me very well.
The 9000 single is an amazing pedal. The connector rod is the only gripe I would have with the double. DW sells a heavy duty one for $300+. At that price might as well go with the Trick pedals.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM

BTW you can get a universal drive shaft to replace the one that is standard on the dw9000/5000. The axis fits and I believe it costs around $150. I personally don't think it changes the feel but that's just my opinion.....
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 AM

I use the chain, only because I have never bothered to try the strap !
Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Silver Member

I've been using a 9000 single for 3 years. I've yet to swap out the chain for the strap.