DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 PM

Default 21 sweet ride

I was just wondering what your guys opinions of the sweet ride is. I recently got myself a 19 in a cust medium crash and am looking for a crashable ride to pair it with. I currently have a 20 in medium a cust ride but its too overpowering for me as a crash. Looking for a ride that will still be substantially louder than the 19 in med crash i have but not overpowering like my 20 in med ride. Any other cymbal suggestions besides the sweet ride would also be helpful. Thanks guys
Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: 21 sweet ride

The sweet ride definitely has some volume. It sounds great with certain types of music, but has a ton of overtone. You can crash the ride fairly quiet, but you have to get a pretty good hit on the bell for it to sound good. I think you would like it, but definitely listen to it before you buy.

Make sure you look used first. I got mine for $150 and they are $300 new.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 PM

be sure to check out the 20'' A Custom Ride (not medium or ping). I have been using this for the last 10-12 years and its one of the most versatile rides out there. beautiful crash and very warm sound.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Pioneer Member

The Sweet Ride might be what you're looking for. Although there are a bunch of searchable threads here at DW that have tons of opinions on the Sweet Ride, you should probably check out some You Tube vids with decent audio.

Definitely get out there and play some crashable rides because it seems like from your post that you are going to want a particular feel when crashing.

The Sweet makes a huge crash sound with a ton of sustain. It is a bit overbearing IMO.

I've played the 21 and 22 K Crash Rides, they work well as big crashes.

The 20 Sabian AAX-plosion crashes are excellent.

The 22 Istanbul AGOP Xist Rides crash really well.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Own both those rides. Of the two I definitely favour the Sweet Ride. Generally speaking I'm not a huge fan of A Custom hats or rides to begin with and the 20" AC Medium is no exception. It just has too much of an overpowering swell and not enough definition when you lay into it for my tastes, yet offers a pretty "clanky" sounding crash when struck on the sound edge.....just a little too thick to work as an effective crash sound for mine. I'm actually looking to trade mine to be honest.

Whilst the 21" SR can definitely get quite washy, it's just a far more pleasant tone to my ear than the AC. I have no problems pulling a nice "ping" sound out by playing a little higher up on the bow and it works far better when crashed IMHO. There are many who just use the thing as a large crash without bothering to ride it at all. So I know it can work well for both applications.

As always, try it out. But I certainly know which cymbal my ear prefers to listen to.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:54 PM

The 21" Sweet Ride in a traditional finish is probably one of my 20 favourite particular cymbals of all time (I can't narrow it down more than that, haha). I own one and it's the diamond of my cymbal setup. It took me some time to learn how to play it and just get to know the cymbal, but once you're familiar with it, you'll hopefully love it.

The Sweet Ride is indeed very washy and "crashy", but I can get a decent ping out of mine too. You just have to spend some time with it and learn how to get all the different sounds out of the cymbal, because yes, this cymbal has a lot of different sounds.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:08 AM
audiotech

Zildjian Sweet rides are nice, if you get a good one. Also look for the Zildjian 21" 25th Anniversary ride, the lettering is in white.. It's a great improvement over some of the other A Custom ride cymbals.

Dennis
Old 12-28-2012, 03:05 AM

Whatever you do, try to buy from a store so that you can hear the cymbal. The Sweet Rides vary greatly in weight and sound. I recently played one that was on the lighter side and did not sound as good as some of the heavier ones. The one I finally purchased weighs 2574g. There was another Sweet Ride in the same store that weighed 2517g. It had a beautiful glass-like crash, but the ride sound was a little weak. Try before you buy !!
Old 12-28-2012, 03:18 AM

I recently got my Zildjian A Custom 21" 20th Anniversary ride, and I think it crashes really well. My $0.02.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 AM
Platinum Member

If an A Medium Ride was too meaty or hard to crash, then for sure the Sweet Ride is a great candidate. I think the A Custom Rides are in the same ballpark but like PFOG, I've never warmed to the tone or playability of them (I had a 21" AC Medium Ride that I despised). I've never played the AC Anniversary Rides but I see they get rave reviews. Worth checking out, anyway.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think it's sweet enough. For more seasoning what you want is a 24" K Light Ride. You can ride it, wash it, and crash it. And it strikes a nice balance with a 26" bass drum.
Plus it makes a good gateway to the optional 38" symphonic gong ;)
Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 AM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't call the Sweet Ride particularly loud. I've got several other rides that are substantially louder.
Few of them have a tone that pleases me as much though.
Stick definition will wash out on certain parts of the cymbal, but that can be managed in a few ways.

You say you're looking for louder than an A Custom 19" Crash, but not as loud as a 20" A Custom Medium Ride. That's pretty specific. I'd say your best bet is to bring your cymbals in someplace that has a few cymbals you'd like to compare them to.

( .Get the Sweet Ride - it's great. . LOL. .)
Old 12-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I don't think it's sweet enough. For more seasoning what you want is a 24" K Light Ride. You can ride it, wash it, and crash it. And it strikes a nice balance with a 26" bass drum.
Plus it makes a good gateway to the optional 38" symphonic gong ;)
Gongs Matt..........Gongs???

Whats next...a tympany?:):):)

Don't forget the ching ring.:):)

More ot,The sweet ride makes a nice heavier crash,and washy ride cymbal

.Don't rule out Paiste Giant beats or a 2002 medium ride.

I have a red label 2002 22" ride that crashes nicely and is a nice washy ride.

Steve B
Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Gongs Matt..........Gongs???

Whats next...a tympany?:):):)

Don't forget the ching ring.:):)

More ot,The sweet ride makes a nice heavier crash,and washy ride cymbal

.Don't rule out Paiste Giant beats or a 2002 medium ride.

I have a red label 2002 22" ride that crashes nicely and is a nice washy ride.

Steve B
I was making the suggestion to the OP. I would never get those things for myself ;)
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

If the traditional sweet ride is too heavy for you, there is a brilliant sweet ride that is cleaner and brighter. I actually prefer the brilliant to the traditional, but I have the traditional.