Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 12-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pushing the envelope of this forum, non drum related

The government's two most important roles in my opinion are to

#1 - protect our environment
#2 - protect our health

Without health nothing else matters. You can be poor and still eat healthy. Sad thing is that McDonald's intentionally throws up billboards in poorer communties. Get a $1.00 big mac. Meanwhile, that $1.00 could be a head of lettuce or a few apples, etc.

I don't give a darn what someone does in their own home in private but now you're dealing with stoned drivers on pot, etc., etc. Mix that with an overzealous gun owner and who knows? Legalizing drugs sends a bad message. Healthy body = healthy society. Jsut my rant.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
The off-topic lounge has been in violation of Drummerworld's forum rules for so-long that they might as well not even exist.
I agree. I think it's sad, really. The Connecticut Shooting thread has spiraled into a political, name-calling, insulting mess. I think it should be locked and I wish the Off-Topic Lounge wasn't there. I don't check it often, but lately I have, and it's sickening.

Everybody is pointing fingers and acting like hardheads. Nobody's listening to anybody....just spouting political rhetoric, some of it downright frightening.

You know....I come to this place because it's a place to get away and TALK DRUMS. Sadly, that's not happening nearly as much these days.

The holiday season is here. I think I'm going to step away from Drummerworld for awhile. Best wishes and happy holidays to you all.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:16 PM

Even if pot is made legal, it would never be sold in bars like alcohol, people would be complaining about second hand smoke like cigarettes. I use to smoke pot when I was a tennager and have tried it a few times as an adult, from my experience it made me lazy, paronoid and freakin hungry. I've seen people, after smoking a joint, turn into vegetables, sitiing on a couch watching whatever crap was on t.v. I see no use for it, making it legal would only encourage more people to try it, just like alcohol consumption.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-squared View Post
Pot was just legalized here in Colorado. I never cared for it much, but I think I might invest in a pizza delivery business.
How about a unhealthy snack delivery business.Potato chips,soda,ice cream,snickers bars,White Castle hamburgers(sliders).You could make a fortune.:):):)

Steve B
Old 12-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneybeaverbrother View Post
tried it a few times as an adult, from my experience it made me lazy, paronoid and freakin hungry. I've seen people, after smoking a joint, turn into vegetables, sitiing on a couch watching whatever crap was on t.v. I see no use for it, making it legal would only encourage more people to try it, just like alcohol consumption.
I've spoken to many people about this and they seem to separate into two camps - those who find pot stimulates their imaginations and senses and those who find it makes them nauseous and sleepy.

Pretty amazing the millions and millions of tax dollars we spend to enforce a useless law.

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
...they seem to separate into two camps - those who find pot stimulates their imaginations and senses and those who find it makes them nauseous and sleepy.
I don't fall in in your categories, I'm the third category, yes, it makes me cheerful and stimulates the imagination, but definitely not the senses, I'm not able to play the kit while under the effect, it's a disaster... Painting or drawing is different, however, some good things comes out of it.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:24 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Like anything, it has both positive attributes and negative attributes. It affects everyone a little differently. For me alcohol is way too powerful a drug to be taken on a daily basis. Even beer. And forget any other prescription drug, powder or psychedelic drug, they are just too powerful too. I don't understand how anyone could drink alcohol on a daily basis, but I defend their right to do so. Criminalization of these types of things only creates criminals where there once was none. I really don't feel I deserve to be classed with criminals, but I am considered a criminal. I can't legally buy a gun to defend myself now. I'll just have to get a crossbow. I think I'm still allowed to get one of those. Steve?
Old 12-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Like anything, it has both positive attributes and negative attributes. It affects everyone a little differently. For me alcohol is way too powerful a drug to be taken on a daily basis. Even beer. And forget any other prescription drug, powder or psychedelic drug, they are just too powerful too. I don't understand how anyone could drink alcohol on a daily basis, but I defend their right to do so. Criminalization of these types of things only creates criminals where there once was none. I really don't feel I deserve to be classed with criminals, but I am considered a criminal. I can't legally buy a gun to defend myself now. I'll just have to get a crossbow. I think I'm still allowed to get one of those. Steve?
I think the majority of crossbow regulations exist for hunting of game.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Gold Member

Making the posession of something illegal is a way to bolster the profit margin of a smaller number of producers and/or protect competing markets.

Prohibition has never worked to truly keep a product out of the hands of the public.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Satellite Brian View Post
paid forum?

Do you even know how the internet works?

No way in hell anyone would pay to be a part of a forum, there are tons of other forums almost identical to this one but with less members, everyone would simply migrate there.
The best I can figure out aout the internet is that it works through advertising. And yes, I do belong to a paid forum called Nikonians for Nikon camera users. The atmosphere there is one of collaboration and helpfulness (the way Drummerworld can be at times). However my point still stands that the forum rules here are grossly ignored.

"The original purpose of the Off Topic forum was to discuss subjects that were musical in nature but not necessarily drum-related. We have allowed a bit of leeway with this definition, but we have discovered through trial and error what fits here and what doesn't. Please do not discuss extremely trivial matters. Do not post jokes or poetry. Do not discuss politics or religion"
Old 12-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Making the posession of something illegal is a way to bolster the profit margin of a smaller number of producers and/or protect competing markets.

Prohibition has never worked to truly keep a product out of the hands of the public.

The 18th amendment didn't work because the general public wanted to keep drinking.It was passed because of pressure from religious womens groups.Many lives were lost and ruined in the fight to enforce prohibition.And the bad guys still made truck loads of money...including the Kennedys(yes those Kennedys).

Actually that's somewhat true.Growers will have to hire additional employees also in order to meet the increased demand for product.This will actually create jobs in a totally new job market,in the US at least,so they will reap some reward from that.........and I have no problem at all with it.Local farmers working hard for their money,getting thier hands dirty is all right with me..

This will also increase revenew on the city,state and federal level.NY state current charges approx.13 dollars per gallon of taxed alcohol,and a slightly lower tax on wine and beer.

In NY City last year alone NY realized 23 million in taxed alcohol products.

Currently,the illegal production and use of "moon shine"dosen't make a dent in the legal production of alcohol.Under US law,you are allowed to make your own beer,wine or licquor.

Growing and selling pot legally should be taxed at the same rate,which will reap billions of dollars in revenue.The cost of law enforcement,prosecution and care of inmates arrested for use/possession and sale,will plummit,adding additional billions to federal,state and city war chests.

All this additional money can now be used to repair our crumbling infrastructure,reduce over crowded prision populations,reinstitute social programs and be put to good use in our education systems.Maybe even bringing back public school music programs.That in and of itself,is good enough for me.

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 12-23-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
How about a unhealthy snack delivery business.Potato chips,soda,ice cream,snickers bars,White Castle hamburgers(sliders).You could make a fortune.:):):)

Steve B
Believe it or not........

There is something called "Medbox" that dispenses different "strains" from a vending machine. Put that in the break area with the chips and Oreo's and you will make a mint.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post

"The original purpose of the Off Topic forum was to discuss subjects that were musical in nature but not necessarily drum-related. We have allowed a bit of leeway with this definition, but we have discovered through trial and error what fits here and what doesn't. Please do not discuss extremely trivial matters. Do not post jokes or poetry. Do not discuss politics or religion"
fair enough.

The way I've always viewed Off Topic forums and including this one is to be wary of what you get yourself involved in, if it's something you don't want to discuss, don't click on it. You shouldn't complain about people discussing things you don't want to discuss, you aren't obligated to give your opinion on (whatever the topic is).
Old 12-25-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
The government's two most important roles in my opinion are to

#1 - protect our environment
#2 - protect our health

Without health nothing else matters. You can be poor and still eat healthy. Sad thing is that McDonald's intentionally throws up billboards in poorer communties. Get a $1.00 big mac. Meanwhile, that $1.00 could be a head of lettuce or a few apples, etc.

I don't give a darn what someone does in their own home in private but now you're dealing with stoned drivers on pot, etc., etc. Mix that with an overzealous gun owner and who knows? Legalizing drugs sends a bad message. Healthy body = healthy society. Jsut my rant.
The only role the U.S goverment is suppose to have is protect our freedom, the government is not suppose to be your mommy and daddy. Those laws, like not being able to buy a 32 oz. soda in New York is absolute nonsense. Why can a woman have an abortion saying it's her body and no one has a right to tell her what she can do with it, but you can't buy a giant soda? Some people in this country have gone mad.

As far as the guy buying a $1.00 Big Mac instead of lettuce and apples, well, that's his choice.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneybeaverbrother View Post
Even if pot is made legal, it would never be sold in bars like alcohol, people would be complaining about second hand smoke like cigarettes. I use to smoke pot when I was a tennager and have tried it a few times as an adult, from my experience it made me lazy, paronoid and freakin hungry. I've seen people, after smoking a joint, turn into vegetables, sitiing on a couch watching whatever crap was on t.v. I see no use for it, making it legal would only encourage more people to try it, just like alcohol consumption.
I think virtually anyone in favor of banning tobacco smoking in public would be very much in favor of allowing dope smoking in public. Just a hunch.

I agree, keep the laws as they are. All drugs are inherently pernicious and we don't need to allow all just because we allow some.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Renegade

Don't like something? Ban it. Nanny will protect us.

Do the lessons on history matter at all? Al Capone? Prohibition? Are we human beings with functioning long term memories and the capacity to think abstractly or are we just big, pale chimps who respond to the moment without considering the weight of history?

It's mindlessly stupid to spend millions of dollars achieving nothing - apart from lining the pockets of Mr Bigs and criminalising of otherwise law-abiding people (occasionally ruining their lives and preventing their future productivity).

Regulation rather than prohibition makes sense for soft drugs (and hard drugs like alcohol, which are too loved by ruling classes for legal changes). Prohibition is a destructive and expensive activity, which should be reserved to lethal drugs where the cost of inaction would be greater than the costs of banning.

The war on drugs has been an absolute, utter abject failure and people are still determined to make the main mistakes. Evolution certainly is a slow process.

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Renegade

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenuf View Post
How is it working for you so far?
.................................................. .................................................
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Renegade

Oh come now, Henri - that picture is over a decade old and was drawn during an early morning meeting.

8am meetings should be outlawed!

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-26-2012, 12:45 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
8am meetings should be outlawed!
Yes, I agree...

Don't like something? Ban it...

However, 10 years ago, you should have looked better no? ...or you were looking better? :)
Old 12-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's working quite well for all of us! We've even come to the point now and have such advanced brains that we can create whole digital worlds that link to each other and allow instant communication of data and ideas! We even have the ability over these systems, to make quite ridiculous assertions that dis-regard mountains of physical evidence!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hello Glen. How are you doing?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:46 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Hello Glen. How are you doing?
Ah, this could explain the recent spate of all those one star ratings.

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-26-2012, 01:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ah, this could explain the recent spate of all those one star ratings.
That and the fact that the name is pure Glen, he's registered using a one-off email address and there is something else that I'll PM straight to you.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pretty well, given that TB is decidedly rare in countries with advanced vaccination programmes and access to modern antibiotics.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Don't like something? Ban it. Nanny will protect us.

Do the lessons on history matter at all? Al Capone? Prohibition? Are we human beings with functioning long term memories and the capacity to think abstractly or are we just big, pale chimps who respond to the moment without considering the weight of history?

It's mindlessly stupid to spend millions of dollars achieving nothing - apart from lining the pockets of Mr Bigs and criminalising of otherwise law-abiding people (occasionally ruining their lives and preventing their future productivity).

Regulation rather than prohibition makes sense for soft drugs (and hard drugs like alcohol, which are too loved by ruling classes for legal changes). Prohibition is a destructive and expensive activity, which should be reserved to lethal drugs where the cost of inaction would be greater than the costs of banning.

The war on drugs has been an absolute, utter abject failure and people are still determined to make the main mistakes. Evolution certainly is a slow process.
There's actually a bit more to this history of drug laws, at least in the US. Prior to the first US laws to ban drugs in 1906, large sections of the population were addicted to morphine, opium, cocaine and other drugs. These drugs were easily available to anyone and were frequently in so-called medicines and even soft drinks - you are probably aware Coca-Cola got its name from the cocaine it used to have in it. Sigmund Freud (a European) was obviously high out of his gourd from injecting cocaine when he came up with many of his theories of the mind.

History has told us that banning and criminalizing many drugs is good public policy, so I have to question the validity of the statement that "the war on drugs has been an absolute, utter, abject failure."
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

Can we close this thread? Talking politics will definitely NOT help the environment around here. People love coming to drummer world because of the good atmosphere and helpful info, politics will only mess that up.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrocker View Post
Can we close this thread? Talking politics will definitely NOT help the environment around here. People love coming to drummer world because of the good atmosphere and helpful info, politics will only mess that up.
If you don't like it, don't read it. Nobody forced you to click, or to get offended for no reason. Why do you feel that other people who can handle a bit of disagreement shouldn't be able to discuss this in the dedicated "off topic" section of the forum?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
History has told us that banning and criminalizing many drugs is good public policy, so I have to question the validity of the statement that "the war on drugs has been an absolute, utter, abject failure."
It's extremely hypocritical to make statements like this while not advocating a ban on alcohol. It's far worse than quite a few schedule 1 drugs, as we've already discussed. In the "close to home" category here, what if Larry's stepson was hit by a drunk driver? It could possibly have been prevented if alcohol were not legal... But as we both know, that's really not a good stance. Although many many people abuse alcohol, many other people can use it responsibly, and it benefits their life to become intoxicated once in a while, even if only short-term.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Sigmund Freud (a European) was obviously high out of his gourd from injecting cocaine when he came up with many of his theories of the mind.
It's a shame that we are no longer privy to such inspiration due to mindless public policy.

Quote:
I not only stand by that statement and but I'll raise it to "the war on drugs is one of the most self defeating and self destructive policies in history". The costs in human and financial terms are astronomical. The worst thing about it are its benefits to organised crime. Govt regulation of drugs would be the most damning possible blow to the Mr Bigs and pull a great deal of money out of the black market and back into general circulation.

A war against drugs is a war waged by a country against its own citizens. It smacks of hubris and lazy thinking. Simplistic magic bullet solutions are guaranteed harbingers of misery (Hitler was the Magic Bullet Pinup Boy). Much of this comes from squeamish prudishness, our fear of looking at that which we don't like (and yet we have the gall to insult new agers for their positive thinking furphies).

We need to look at what drugs are and what they represent. So you have a sizeable population addicted to the strongest possible painkillers. Does that tell you anything? So you have people willing to risk being treated as criminals to have peak experiences. What does that tell you?

The answer is not: "THEY ARE SICK AND IMMORAL AND EVIL".

Isn't it nice? People caught in the cycle of poverty with precious few avenues of escape are even prevented from dulling the pain of their wretched existence with substances ... and then thrown into prisons where they are raped, beaten and corrupted.

Of course, if we were capable of thinking ahead and not being so reflexively fearful and selfish we could create policies that not only reduced people's desire for powerful painkillers and distractions but also reduce the motivation to become saboteurs (ie. criminals). Instead we lock 'em up, damage them further, and get them better acquainted with criminal ideas and methods. And the process of policing, courts and prisons costs taxpayers insane amounts.

People cannot readily be reduced to convenient productive units and breeding and rearing machines of other productive units (unless you find the Chinese model attractive). And some people do no kindly take to being considered "collateral damage", part of the necessary 5% of unemployed required to keep wages down.

Breeding, rearing, achievement, contribution, sports - they might make people feel fine but we generally want something more. That's why we invented the giant father figure in the sky.

Trouble is, people are growing up intellectually and most can see the obvious absurdity and bloodlessness of sanctioned religion - sing your hymns, parrot the platitudes and then viciously and guiltlessly trample everyone who gets in your way without for a moment seeing the obvious hypocrisy of their contempt for the ideals of peace and love (that's just for hippies, innit?).

There are few avenues for we skin-encased bags of slimy plasma to engage with the spirit, our higher selves. The arts are an obvious one, although opportunities to play music are restricted by work and family time pressures and professional requirements. Most artists have to stop short of truly getting their ya yas out, which is why so many use substances to get that push towards peak experiences.

Some drugs can provide a gateway for transformational experience - if used properly. Trouble is, they are rarely used properly because no one's allowed to provide that instruction. So then people wreck themselves by abusing the substances - by taking 20x times the ideal dose to achieve effects that are effectively poisoning. Then the substances are deemed evil.

// end rant

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrocker View Post
Slowrocker, don't think this will spoil anything. Martin (DeathMetal) and I will continue to be good forum friends as always (see his avatar? That's from a picture I made of him). There are actually no bad vibes on this thread, just different points of view.

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
The lady has a mean right hook.
Actually, I do. At the health retreat they had an activity called "Cardio Box". I almost didn't do it but I was so miserable from nicotine withdrawal (ironic, given this thread, no?) that I tried it out.

Everyone paired off and I was left out (story of my life) and did the exercise with the instructor. She had the mitts and I had the pink gloves (yeeha). My left jab to her left mitt and my right cross to her right mitt. Then I hear bap bap bap and think "Wow, this is like drumming" and from there I was going at a fair tempo.

The best part was seeing a very girly girl doing these incredibly feeble taps at first but by the end of the workout she forgot to be girly and was punching with decent looking form and power ... as with high heels, sometimes we help society hobble us.

There's no doubt an analogy there about how we let society hobble our innate spirituality.

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Rousseau's 'Noble Savage'. Indeed.

Last time I punched anyone, I sprained my thumb. I was sparring and my thumb stuck out momentarily. Good punch, too good a punch and I was out of action.

Always tuck your thumb against the fist. Always.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Goodbye Glen! May the moderators continue to treat you fairly at every juncture!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 AM
Renegade

Ow - sounds painful! Why was your thumb sticking out? I would imagine your thumb would automatically tuck in.

But never tuck your thumb into the fist! That was the first thing Sally told us. Haha - boxing instructions from me - like Sticks running a course in diplomacy.

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

To the side of the fist. Never in. That would instantly break your thumb. Against the side, always.

I don't know why it was sticking out. A momentary lapse of concentration. I would imagine it had something to do with my Rugby days when I handed-off with an open palm (allegedly) but I never have worked it out. I had been sparring for a good few minutes by that point and I'm not exactly as fit as a marathon runner these days. Exhaustion? Stupidity?

I've always worked on the principle that I get one punch in a fight. Better make it a good one.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
It's extremely hypocritical to make statements like this while not advocating a ban on alcohol. It's far worse than quite a few schedule 1 drugs, as we've already discussed. In the "close to home" category here, what if Larry's stepson was hit by a drunk driver? It could possibly have been prevented if alcohol were not legal... But as we both know, that's really not a good stance. Although many many people abuse alcohol, many other people can use it responsibly, and it benefits their life to become intoxicated once in a while, even if only short-term.
It's no more hypocritical than simultaneously supporting legalizing all drugs but banning alcohol!

We don't necessarily know if anyone involved in any particular auto accident was under the influence of cannabis (or even alcohol), so I personally will wait, and you may wish to choose that option too. Would you be open to the possibility that, if no intoxicants were involved in a particular crash, then we should take that as a validation of anti-cannabis laws? "The accident could have been much worse if anyone had been under the influence of cannabis, but thankfully it's illegal so it wasn't a factor." Everything cuts in several directions.

We don't have to ban everything because we ban some things. I think having alcohol legal presents enough challenges to society as-is and I'd oppose any efforts to make anything else legal.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
the war on drugs is one of the most self defeating and self destructive policies in history". The costs in human and financial terms are astronomical....
Personally, I'd rather not go back to the last century, when there were no consistent laws against drugs in the US, cocaine was put in sodas and cocaine addicts were lauded as intellectuals. Large chunks of the population were seriously addicted to some pretty nasty substances and I think we have found about the best possible accommodation these days, given the inherent tendency of many people to get addicted to something anyway.

Freud said that when you were potty trained strongly influenced your whole personality. Too early and you became hyper-organized (anal retentive), too late and you became disorganized and slothful (anal expulsive). If someone postulated such nonsense today they'd rightly be the butt of jokes and drummed out of their profession. You'd have to be higher than a kite to come up with such weirdness - such are the effects of injecting large amounts of cocaine I guess.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather not go back to the last century, when there were no consistent laws against drugs in the US, cocaine was put in sodas and cocaine addicts were lauded as intellectuals. Large chunks of the population were seriously addicted to some pretty nasty substances and I think we have found about the best possible accommodation these days, given the inherent tendency of many people to get addicted to something anyway.
That's why regulation is necessary. Instead they threw the baby out with the bathwater with prohibition and created a nice, fat black market for the Mr Bigs. Utterly self defeating knee-jerk response. As I said a "magic bullet solution".

Quote:
Freud said that when you were potty trained strongly influenced your whole personality. Too early and you became hyper-organized (anal retentive), too late and you became disorganized and slothful (anal expulsive). If someone postulated such nonsense today they'd rightly be the butt of jokes and drummed out of their profession. You'd have to be higher than a kite to come up with such weirdness - such are the effects of injecting large amounts of cocaine I guess.
Freud and Jung created the psychodynamic school of psychology and it was a mighty achievement ... greater than any of us are likely to manage. By its very nature, scientific breakthroughs are not flawless - those who follow refine and improve the theories.

I think you overplay the cocaine connection, anyway. People can be flawed geniuses without drugs too.

Duncan, I'm sure you'd agree that if fisticuffs are required everyone is on the losing side (although some may not realise it).

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's no more hypocritical than simultaneously supporting legalizing all drugs but banning alcohol!

We don't necessarily know if anyone involved in any particular auto accident was under the influence of cannabis (or even alcohol), so I personally will wait, and you may wish to choose that option too. Would you be open to the possibility that, if no intoxicants were involved in a particular crash, then we should take that as a validation of anti-cannabis laws? "The accident could have been much worse if anyone had been under the influence of cannabis, but thankfully it's illegal so it wasn't a factor." Everything cuts in several directions.

We don't have to ban everything because we ban some things. I think having alcohol legal presents enough challenges to society as-is and I'd oppose any efforts to make anything else legal.
You might be confusing me with someone who wants to ban alcohol. I'm not. I'm trying to point out your glaring inconsistency in your opinion here. I'm in favor of almost no consensual crime or victim-less crime laws. I think some regulation is generally in order. In fact I advocate even stiffer penalties for intoxicated driving than currently exist.

I do not need the government to protect me from myself. It's not their job. They have a lot of more valid jobs that they are doing terrible at.