DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 12-15-2012, 03:08 PM

Default Re: WE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

If my memory serves me, the Mayan calender does not account for leap years. Leap years were "made up" by Caesar around year 50 b.c. So logically, if the "end" of the Mayan calender really meant the "end" of the world, the world would have "ended" a couple of hundred years ago.

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 12-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
You mean:

Isn't an inappropriate religious comment on a thread? This is a secular forum. It is written in the rules. I'm not going around telling people that there is no God, although that is my personal conviction. To do so is damned rude, arrogant and demeans the intelligence of the other people here.

Zephyr, in terms of 'nonsense' I didn't mean his Christian beliefs, I meant the arrogance to assume that his view precedes all others. I'll admit that my wording was not exactly choice.

Secularism and Atheism are different things. Secularism prevents religion from influencing the agenda or laws of the body in which it is used, Atheism denies the existence of a deity.
My reply was multi-faceted because it also answers my opinion on the Mayan Calendar debate, but I hear what you are saying. I try to keep my spiritual beliefs off the forum and away from rehearsals.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:08 PM

the Meyans never actually said " end of the world" it's just simply the guy that printed the calender wasn't selling enough calenders, so he just stopped making them...simple as that!
Old 12-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Administrator

All of you worried about what to wear on the big day can rest easy. turn off the media, do some research, and you''ll find that the Mayan made no prophecy of any kind. Below is a brief explanation of there calendar history and concept. I will see you all right here on the 22nd. Peace.

The Mayans were skilled mathematicians, and this shows in their calendar; besides having a concept of zero, they also had a firm grasp of modular arithmetic; they also worked extensively in base 20. However, despite their great skill at observing the heavens, their calendar has no relationship to lunar or seasonal cycles, and is only synchronized with the solar cycle year approximately. The Mayans were aware of this discrepancy; they simply didn't feel the compelling need to synchronize their calendar with the sun that Old World civilizations did.

The Mayans used three separate calendars. The Long Count was pricipally used for historical purposes, since it can define any date for millenia in the past and future. The Haab was a civil calendar based on a year of 360 days consisting of 18 periods of 20 days. Five days were added at the end of the Haab year to approximately synchronize it with the solar year. The Tzolkin calendar was used for ceremonial purposes, which had 20 periods of 13 days. The Tzolkin calendar went through a complete cycle every 260 days. The signficance of this cycle is unknown; it may be connected with the orbit of Venus, which has a period of 263 days. The Haab and Tzolkin dates did not have a year component; however, a combined Haab and Tzolkin date specify a unique day within a 52 year cycle.
There is a great deal of nonsense that has been written about the Mayan long count. It has been claimed (most egregiously, in a Discovery Channel TV series) that it will 'come to an end' in the near future, and along with it will arrive a Mayan apocalypse, a pole shift, earth change, cosmic convergence, whatever. Given the completely cyclic nature of the long count, this is an idiotic characterization. Once any given cycle ends, another begins, endlessly. The full long count is currently only at baktun 12; there are still 8 baktuns (or about three thousand years) before it turns over. The current Katun will increment about ten years from now (13.0.0.0.0 will be on December 21st, 2012). However, there is no reason that date should be any more cosmologically significant than the end of the common era millenium was!

For one thing, this is a theoretical reconstruction of the Mayan calendar, since it hasn't been in use for hundreds of years. The Mayan epoch shown above was hotly debated by archeologists for many decades. The date shown is a consensus date, originally proposed by J.E.S. Thompson, and supported by carbon dating and other methods. However, this particular date for the Mayan epoch could still be off by some amount, possibly by years. Thus any eschatological theories based on this calendar would have to be adjusted accordingly. This is similar to the Christian era, which may be off by several years since we don't have Jesus' birth certificate in hand; so any predictions of the end of the world based on when that calendar ticks over were just as absurd. Furthermore, the assumption that some occurance of the Christian millenium marks the expiration date of the Universe is based on base 10 math: the fact that the Mayans adopted a base 20 system shows how arbitrary this assumption is. And anyway, last time I checked, the date is now 2000 and counting, and the universe is still here...
Old 12-15-2012, 06:40 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
If my memory serves me, the Mayan calender does not account for leap years. Leap years were "made up" by Caesar around year 50 b.c. So logically, if the "end" of the Mayan calender really meant the "end" of the world, the world would have "ended" a couple of hundred years ago.
What a great point. The thing that I am most interested in isn't the calendar, it's the galactic lining up of things in the universe. I don't have the facts but I do remember reading that there is some kind of strange phenomena where a whole bunch of heavenly bodies line up with each other on that date.

I paid my mortgage this month.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

We had a planetary alignment a few year back - in the 90s when I was at Primary school. Plenty of prophecies then, too...
Old 12-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Administrator

More:

December 21, 2012 merely indicates the end of a cycle that began on August 11, 3114 BC. While there are wild interpretations as to what this date means, and many holiday resorts are booked out on this day, there is no evidence from any Mayan literature suggesting that the world will come to an end.

It is simply the end of the current Long Count, and December 22, 2012 will be the beginning of the next Long Count, or cycle in the Mayan calendar. In fact, the Mayans have names for the Long Counts, and the fact that they've named Long Counts beyond this one suggests that this won't be the last. It is significant, however, that we are entering a new cycle in the Mayan calendar.

But in case you are still worried:

A more extensive version of this survival kit is the Deluxe 2-Person Perfect Survival Kit which includes:

A Backpack
2 person tube tent
24 pouches of water
24 200-calorie food bars
AM/FM radio
Compass
Waterproof matches
Flint (for starting fires)
Flashlight with lithium batteries
Multifunction utility knife
First aid kit
Headphones and rechargeable batteries
2 Light sticks
Whistle
16-Hour body warmer
Rope
Dust mask
Soap, toothbrush and toothpaste, tissues, moist wipes
Playing cards
Poncho
Work gloves
Old 12-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post

A more extensive version of this survival kit is the Deluxe 2-Person Perfect Survival Kit which includes:

A Backpack
2 person tube tent
24 pouches of water
24 200-calorie food bars
AM/FM radio
Compass
Waterproof matches
First aid kit
2 Light sticks
Whistle
16-Hour body warmer
Rope
Dust mask
Playing cards
Poncho
Work gloves
What?!? No drumsticks and a practice pad??? You cannot be serious!!!! Might as well use the rope...
Old 12-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
What?!? No drumsticks and a practice pad??? You cannot be serious!!!! Might as well use the rope...
Why not go one better Henri, a brace of 26" acrylic bass drums instead of a tent, + toms as additional storage/floatation devices = all bases covered :)
Old 12-15-2012, 07:44 PM

One thing I've wondered ever since this doomsday thing came up, is how this rapture date will work. I mean, when the time is 00.00 on the 21st of December here in Stockholm, it's 18.00 on the 20th of December in New York, and probably around 12 on the 20th of December in California.

It is not possible for the whole world to be on the same date at the same time, considering that there are some places within the time zone -11 hours, and other places within the time zone +14 hours. Because of that, the whole world is never on the same date in the calender. So if the doomsday is the 21st of December in Stockholm, let's say at the time 00.00, New York will still be on the 20th of December, at 1800 hours.

I hope I made at least some sense.

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 12-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Administrator

The fire will start on the Greenwich line and travel around the globe.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The fire will start on the Greenwich line and travel around the globe.
Well, that's only fifteen miles away. Obviously, I'm screwed.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Someone has to be first. Take good notes or start a blog.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Someone has to be first. Take good notes or start a blog.
Captain's Log:

Nothing has happened. I made some Lapsang, rolled a cigarette and relaxed in a warm bath... OF FIRE!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
You could run... starting from now.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
One thing I've wondered ever since this doomsday thing came up, is how this rapture date will work. I mean, when the time is 00.00 on the 21st of December here in Stockholm, it's 18.00 on the 20th of December in New York, and probably around 12 on the 20th of December in California.

It is not possible for the whole world to be on the same date at the same time, considering that there are some places within the time zone -11 hours, and other places within the time zone +14 hours. Because of that, the whole world is never on the same date in the calender. So if the doomsday is the 21st of December in Stockholm, let's say at the time 00.00, New York will still be on the 20th of December, at 1800 hours.

I hope I made at least some sense.
There is no religious association with the Dec 21st Armageddon.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txBfhpm1jI0
Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
More:

December 21, 2012 merely indicates the end of a cycle that began on August 11, 3114 BC. While there are wild interpretations as to what this date means, and many holiday resorts are booked out on this day, there is no evidence from any Mayan literature suggesting that the world will come to an end.

It is simply the end of the current Long Count, and December 22, 2012 will be the beginning of the next Long Count, or cycle in the Mayan calendar. In fact, the Mayans have names for the Long Counts, and the fact that they've named Long Counts beyond this one suggests that this won't be the last. It is significant, however, that we are entering a new cycle in the Mayan calendar.

A Backpack
2 person tube tent
24 pouches of water
24 200-calorie food bars
AM/FM radio
Compass
Waterproof matches
First aid kit
2 Light sticks
Whistle
16-Hour body warmer
Rope
Dust mask
Playing cards
Poncho
Work gloves
This in and of itself is a great idea Mr.Mayor.But a certain degree of practical outdoor survival skills is also necessary to survive.

Given the widespread use GPS devices and mapquest,I doubt most people could find their ass with both hands and a flashlight.:)

Steve B
Old 12-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Senior Administrator

dang! i have a gig in wimbledon on that night. cool - if the world ends i'll be playing drums as it happens - good way to go!

j

ps: i hope the world ends - i personally can't wait for the next chapter and i think there are way more people leading horrible lives than those living a good exsistence. it is time for change. if aliens came i would one of the ones holding a welcome sign, if a mega tsunami was coming i would watch it from my roof top. what a rush.

pps: truly nothing is going to happen on the 21st except i'll play a blinding gig and then drag my tired butt home. my spiritual affairs are in order. i'm ready for the end but i beleive it will be on the 9th of june.

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 12-15-2012, 10:45 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
You're snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. Look at it this way, travel 20 miles and get well on the other side of the line. It should go in one direction, right?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
You're snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. Look at it this way, travel 20 miles and get well on the other side of the line. It should go in one direction, right?
Well it's a 50/50 split. And I'm not spending my last day on the M25...
Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
some kind of strange phenomena where a whole bunch of heavenly bodies line up with each other on that date.
are you talking about the Victoria Secret show? :)
Old 12-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Silver Member

/thread

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QJjQMwEjC1I
Old 12-16-2012, 02:28 PM

People, people, people...put your fears to rest.

(Disclaimer: the word is this is an Aztec, not a Mayan symbol, but the Oreo still says all is well.)
Old 12-16-2012, 11:56 PM
nhzoso

LOL @ masheanhead..Love it.

The world is not ending, the Mayan Calendar was bought out by Apple and December 22 2012 starts the new iMayan Calendar.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAgent27 View Post
I've met Dr.Tyson at the Hayden Planetarium.He's just a regular guy,and sci-fi junkie,especially Star-Trek.He just happens to have an IQ slightly under 190.

He was the nerdy,goofy kid nobody except other nerdy goofy kids wanted to play with.Glad he's on our side.:)

Steve B
Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
LOL @ masheanhead..Love it.

The world is not ending, the Mayan Calendar was bought out by Apple and December 22 2012 starts the new iMayan Calendar.
If you're still going off the old iMayan then you're practically a dinosaur. The current model named "The New iMayan" is totally worth your $600, it is .014 of an inch thinner, and seriously, why would you want to be caught with last years apple calendar?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
I've met Dr.Tyson at the Hayden Planetarium.He's just a regular guy,and sci-fi junkie,especially Star-Trek.He just happens to have an IQ slightly under 190.

He was the nerdy,goofy kid nobody except other nerdy goofy kids wanted to play with.Glad he's on our side.:)

Steve B
Man, thats wonderful you got to meet him. He's one of those folks who I would be interested in hearing their thoughts on everything. Astrophysics, politics...favorite sandwich? Fascinating individual.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Silver Member

Not much longer... I saw an awesome post on Craigslist.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/msg/3484361204.html

Even funnier if he comes out with a bunch of instruments.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrocker View Post
Not much longer... I saw an awesome post on Craigslist.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/msg/3484361204.html

Even funnier if he comes out with a bunch of instruments.
I like him!!

If the world doesn't end, I have a job waiting for him. I could do with someone as enterprising as him.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 AM

I'm with this writer:

Quote:
A Short Course on the Mayan Calendar and the Apocalypse
Miss Cellania • 9 hours ago • 2
Dr. Phil Plait wrote a book called Death From The Skies, in which he details the many ways the Earth could be destroyed by astronomical events. But even he isn't worried about the world ending anytime soon, because he knows the odds -they're "astronomical." So why are people still talking about the December 21st apocalypse? Because they misunderstand what the Mayan calendar actually says.

It had as its basic units a day (called a k’in) and a 360-day period called a tun. The Maya understood that a physical year was five days longer than a tun, and had other calendars to deal with that. They had longer units, too, like the ka’tun—just shy of 20 years—and most importantly for apocalypse aficionados, the b’ak’tun—roughly 394 of our years. The starting point for their calendar (Year Zero, if you like) is 3114 B.C., the date they figured the Earth was created.

Knowing all this, we can match their calendar to ours and convert any date they used to our more familiar system. If you do the math, you’ll find that we are nearing the end of the 13th b’ak’tun. In fact, it ends on Dec. 21, 2012.

That’s this Friday. Cue the spooky music.

The thing is, there is no suggestion, not even a hint, in Maya writing that they thought the end of this current b’ak’tun had any connection to doomsday. It’s entirely possible it may have even been thought of as a time of celebration (just like we celebrate New Year’s Eve).

The Maya also had bigger units of time, including the piktun (which was either 13 or 20 b’ak’tun), and the alautun, which was—get this—63 million years! So it doesn’t sound like they were predicting the end of the world ever, let alone by this weekend.

At Bad Astronomy, Plait goes on to explain how other doomsday theories came about and were debunked in the past -and present. And, of course, we'll see more in the future. But as Douglas Adams once said, "Don't Panic."

http://www.neatorama.com/2012/12/19/...he-Apocalypse/
Still, I suppose the end of the world could be kind of fun in a "Wow, I didn't really believe that was coming!" sort of way.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Renegade

I think I'm due to die in 1 hr 23 mins ... Eastern Standard Time??

Just as well, really, the ole bod's pretty RS these days.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Does anyone know what time this is supposed to happen? I want to know whether or not I should bother making a full pot of coffee or 1/2.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Gold Member

I want to get the nerd who thought this up togeather with the nerd who dreamed up that
Y2K crap and slap them both in the teeth.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 PM

Science disproves every stupid theory these people come up with. What about the one of that planet NOT EVEN IN OUR SOLAR SYSTEM that's supposed to collide with Earth? Apparently people don't get that so they think it's invisible (actually saw that on the news sadly). Who's to say the calendar was even read correctly from an ancient civilization that hasn't existed for countless years.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Does anyone know what time this is supposed to happen? I want to know whether or not I should bother making a full pot of coffee or 1/2.
A full pot, you'll never know... if someone's coming.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
I want to get the nerd who thought this up togeather with the nerd who dreamed up that
Y2K crap and slap them both in the teeth.
Actually, the Y2K issue was 100% for real and correct.

The amazing thing was that the human race actually anticipated a problem and cooperated anough to take evasive action.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:15 AM

to people who believe, there is no fricking evidence, idont blame you for believing but its only cos some calendar ends.
This has been preticted like 10 times in the past 14 years.
The prediction is that we will get hit by another planet even though we are not near to qny planets qt the moment and if there was q planet going to hit us we would have seen it a konth ago because it would be bigger than the sun. For f*** sake no offense but religion and all this bollocks is by far the worst thing to ever happen.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Still here. What a bloody disappointment!!

If this keeps up and gonna have to scramble to pay that friggen mortgage on time too.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Administrator

And to believe that the superintendent of a school district in Michigan has closed schools tomorrow for fear that something may happen to the kids in light of the events in Connecticut.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...3-schools?lite