DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 PM

Default Iron Cobras - Why so many?

I'm looking to upgrade my double pedal from a Pearl 902c's which have been pretty good, Amongst the contenders are the tried and tested Iron Cobras from Tama, which seem to be an industry standard. So good so far... However!

There seems to be a lot of different flavors of Iron Cobras, but nowhere I can find a guide on line that will explain the real difference between them... There appears to be... 'Rolling Glide', 'Power Glide', 'Flexi Glide' and perhaps one that doesn't seem to glide at all.... How are they different?

Then just to confuse me more there is... 'Juniors' (are they for ppl with little feet?), 'Black & Red Limited Editions', Gold plated ones... I'm totally confused. I've searched here, but can't really find a definitive answer.

Is it just the cams that are the real difference?

I'm so confused by the above I'm thinking of getting Speed Cobras right now, or DW5000's as they only come in one type! :)

Chromium
Old 12-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Iron Cobras - Why so many?

Rolling glide and power glide are slightly different cams for the chains. Rolling would be the round sprocket, and power would be slightly 'hump' which gives it a bit more 'power'. The Flexi glide is the old skool cam and strap (which is what I have). Iron cobra Jr's are simpler designs of the same sized pedal. Kinda' like a stock DW5000 pedal.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

The differences are the cams for the rolling and power glides models, and the drive system for the flexi glide which uses a strap instead of a double chains, except that they're similar, lol.

Now if you're looking for an upgrade, do not dismiss the Mapex Falcon, it comes standard with all the different cams, drive modes, weight, etc, for an Iron Cobra money, it's like buying all three models from the Iron Cobra family into one single pedal, certainly value for money, but that only part of the story, the Falcon is a brilliant pedal, the best money I've spend on any pedals to date.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:49 PM

I have a great DW5002 for sale $200.00 :-)

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/3482547167.html
Old 12-17-2012, 04:49 AM
Gold Member

its no different than eliminators with their 4(or more?) different cams, and dw 9000's 'infinite' adjustable cam.

as bo said, rolling glide is a full round cam, so power distribution is equal through the whole stroke, power glide has a slight bump so the last 30% of stroke will come down with a bit more power (really hard to explain but thats kinda how i'd say), and the flexi is a strap driven pedal.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:27 AM

It's versatility cam wise. It's what separates a pro grade and non pro grade pedal. The more pro the pedal the more adjustable it is in most cases. If every company had pedals that were just a said setting it's a one size fits all scenario pretty much. It's a bit more personalized rather than "just another pedal" to the drummer.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. It's kind of along the lines of what I thought... the real problem I suppose is I don't really know which would be best for me, and I'm not even too sure even a couple of hours trying various pedals in the drum shop would work.
I'm currently leaning towards the Powerglide or the Speed Cobra, The Mapex Falcon certainly also looks interesting and appears to be very flexible (thanks for that suggestion M.A.D.).

Perhaps a pedal with interchangeable cams would be the way to go... Hmmm Perhaps I should revisit the Pearl Eliminator, to match my Hi-Hat (H-2000).

Chromium
Old 12-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

I love my Iron Cobras. Right now I use two different power glide versions. I use the HP900PSN for my main kit and then I have a JR or cheaper model I use for gigging / back up. I have been playing Tama pedals and hi hat stands since I started drums. I am so used to them and they have never let me down that I don't see a need to change.
Session Work
Old 12-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Platinum Member

I clocked up about 11 years on iron cobras learning to play double bass and I now use p900's on a practice kit at the studio where I practice... I think the p900s you are using are better, the only downfall is the hinge on the footboard. I still use my tamas on my electronic kit and they're good but after trying lots of other pedals I now realize they are pretty stiff feeling, and I did always find it hard to go fast on them.

Dw5000's will feel alot heavier than what you're using. I say go the dw9000's or just get a new pair of p900's. I tried pearl demon drives for a few years but in the end they were too light for me, I got the shits with the direct drive and sold them to a friend. I picked up a mapex falcon pretty cheap, it's really powerful and easy to play but there is something weird about the delivery that I'm not sure I will like in the long run.

I'm in the market for dw9000's.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 AM

I had heard alot of bad talk about Iron Cobras, but while looking for a pedal myself I happend to find an I/C Powerglide at a pawn shop. They don't have the cobra coil option, but I love them. Totally a pro pedal, super smooth and they are pretty well used. I got a smokin deal so I thought why not. I have used the Eliminator and they are very smooth as well. When you get into that range of pedals I don't think you find any duds. You get what you pay for, I got very lucky!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:06 AM

I second the falcons. Sold my Axis AL-2's FOR these pedals. best pedals I've ever owned.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:21 AM

The Iron Cobra cams really change the feel of the throw of the beater..
They change the pivot point at where the beater reaches it's peak.. So be sure you ge the ones you like feel of.. I did a session on a kit that had iron cobras on them,, Which is the pedal I was using at the time,, and they were unusable due to a different cam..

I now use the Speed Cobra's they are quite a bit different.. Lighter and faster than the Iron Cobra's.. Longer foot board, great if you do heel toe for doubles..

It took awhile to get used to the faster speed, there's a different balance point on the pedal as it is longer. Also things like doubles pop out quicker so it took some adjustment muscle memory wise to compensate.. One other thing with the pedal length is if you use double bass,, the hihat stand won't line up well your speed cobra pedal as the balance point of the pedal is in a different spot between the 2.. I wound up getting a speed cobra hihat stand as well.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:04 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
I'm in the market for dw9000's.
I was in my local Sam Ash recently and they have a used section. There was a dirty looking, scuffed up dw9000 double pedal set up. ( the store has a long metal plate with rubber on it and the pedals play on that) I have to say those things are amazing. I never played them before but I wouldnt hesitate to buy a set if I was ever loking again for pedals. smooooooth pedals!