DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Be well Jay.A bum snot locker is a terrible thing.I've had sinus problems for as long as I can remember.:)

Steve B
Old 12-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

In 1872,Friedrich Gretsch immigrated to the US from Germany to avoid consciption into the German Army.Old Fred was a draft dodger,and learned the drum trade in NY City,and Brooklyn.

In 1897,Fred went to Grermany on a business trip and suddenly died ,leaving his business to his son,Friedrich Junior.He was only 15 when he became president of his fathers company.:)

Steve B
Old 12-19-2012, 06:04 AM
Renegade

Just checking in after 10 days at a health retreat - no coffee, no tea, no cigs, no pot, no booze, no chocolate, no biscuits, no cake, heaps of vigorous exercise - and no internet access. My body went crazy without all its familiar toxins. Finally off the nicotine gum too - that was easily the hardest thing.

I've been fed and tennised and massaged and facialed and bushwalked and swum etc within an inch of my life. I did a little pad work in my room - mostly singles, doubles and a few licks.

At the moment nico withdrawal I has left me with about 12 functioning brain cells until things (hopefully) settle down ... which is okay, I don't have anything mentally challenging on ATM.

Sorry guys - I'm still around ;-)

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Good to hear from you! So is the goal now to stay away from all these things, or was
it just for this retreat? Hope you're feeling good now, not worse :)!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Good to hear from you! So is the goal now to stay away from all these things, or was it just for this retreat? Hope you're feeling good now, not worse :)!
Thanks Matthias. Just the retreat, except for cigs / tobacco / nicotine gum. Mum was a chainsmoker and I've had nico in my system since the womb, so this is the first time in my life I've been nicotine free ... three days ... sometimes it's okay, sometimes frustrating and rather surreal :)

BTW, thanks Larry, Henri and Andy for asking after me! I thought I'd have access at some stage but no.

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Just checking in after 10 days at a health retreat - no coffee, no tea, no cigs, no pot, no booze, no chocolate, no biscuits, no cake, heaps of vigorous exercise - and no internet access. My body went crazy without all its familiar toxins. Finally off the nicotine gum too - that was easily the hardest thing.

I've been fed and tennised and massaged and facialed and bushwalked and swum etc within an inch of my life. I did a little pad work in my room - mostly singles, doubles and a few licks.

At the moment nico withdrawal I has left me with about 12 functioning brain cells until things (hopefully) settle down ... which is okay, I don't have anything mentally challenging on ATM.

Sounds like the girl did good!

We're relieved actually. We don't like our Polanon going missing ;)

My random thought - Andy's happy after his health scare the other day. The daughter just landed a very minor part in her first feature film. Stars Judi Dench. Filming starts in two weeks time, she's at rehearsal & costume today. Due for release 1014! = proud dad!!!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome back, Anon! Good luck with the nicotine ban.

Congrats Andy, that sounds exciting! Keep us advised of e movies progress.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Renegade

Ta Mary - if tonight's any indication I'll need all the luck I can get. Must have fought off a 100 twinges tonight!

Andy, what happened with your health? Cool about your daughter's movie part 999 years ago!

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Welcome back, we've missed you............
Old 12-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post

My random thought - Andy's happy after his health scare the other day. The daughter just landed a very minor part in her first feature film. Stars Judi Dench. Filming starts in two weeks time, she's at rehearsal & costume today. Due for release 1014! = proud dad!!!!!
Sorry to learn of your health scare... I do hope all is on mends at this point for you.

Very cool and exciting news about your daughter's first feature film debut!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Damn!!!!

I'm soooo pleased about that :)

Welcome back, we missed you...
Old 12-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Administrator

More than a few of us were concerned. Welcome back and congrats on cleaning out the system. You'll be around much longer to make music.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:

in musician's lingo it's known as resorting to other measures.

: P

see what i did there ?

welcome back.

sounds like a good plan to me.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

...and welcome back to my Daughter too, back from the UK for the festive period, I'm happy :) :) :)
Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

That's awesome. Good news. I witnessed my mother-in-law's death due to lung cancer.... Healthier body = better drumming. Look out !! :)
Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Renegade

Thanks for caring, gents!

Here's the view from my room's balcony just before sunset, when the roos come out to feed.

Now that I'm home the view currently includes three trucks involved in the major renovations across the road ... a bit of a difference ...
Attached Images

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Glad your ok Pol,you are conspicous by your absence.Those look like lawnmowers with big rear springs,Do the graze like cattle?

Forgive the ignorant Yank...:)

Steve B
Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post

Brilliant! I told her on Monday that she'd get work and lo and behold, there we go! Send her my best, that's great news!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

That's a beautiful photo. Makes me want to travel the world.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
In 1872,Friedrich Gretsch immigrated to the US from Germany to avoid consciption into the German Army.Old Fred was a draft dodger,and learned the drum trade in NY City,and Brooklyn.

In 1897,Fred went to Grermany on a business trip and suddenly died ,leaving his business to his son,Friedrich Junior.He was only 15 when he became president of his fathers company.:)

Steve B
Wow. I would have loved to be a president of a company at 15 though.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Quitter!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Here's the view from my room's balcony just before sunset, when the roos come out to feed.

Now that I'm home the view currently includes three trucks involved in the major renovations across the road ... a bit of a difference ...

Don't you just hate it when you return home to see trucks, reno's and stuff? I've been in that position many times and know how it feels.

What a great photo! I'd just love to see roos on the loose. Just don't want to go toe to toe with one.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Renegade

Yep Steve, they eat like cattle.

Larry, it's one of the few places I know of near Sydney that has that many roos.

Jules, I'm sorry old pal. I tried to hang in there but my lungs couldn't handle the pace!

David, it should be said that anyone across the road would have been looking at the renos at my place - a 7 ton skip full of our crap and a guy out the front cutting pieces with a bandsaw en route to making my bedroom wardrobe. Two doors down there's more renos again.

The good news is the house isn't sick-making any more - it feels healthy for the first time in years.

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Good to see you back, Grea. And congrats on taking those big steps to getting healthy! That's not easy, but it will pay off in the long run for sure.

As for me, it appears I've contracted the Black Death. Or maybe it's just a really bad sinus infection. Either way, feel free to shoot me in the head.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
....David, it should be said that anyone across the road would have been looking at the renos at my place - a 7 ton skip full of our crap and a guy out the front cutting pieces with a bandsaw en route to making my bedroom wardrobe. Two doors down there's more renos again.

The good news is the house isn't sick-making any more - it feels healthy for the first time in years.
Excellent! I'd love to go through this house and tear out anything that could possibly be releasing toxins.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Renegade

That's a bugger, Larry. Isn't middle age wonderful? Would be feeling pretty good today if not for coughing, nico pangs and a bunion that feels like it's being stabbed with a red hot poker.

The bad habits are catching up. I thought I'd get off Scot-free there for a while ;-) Hello reality - dammit, you could have turned up earlier ... ageing is a plateau by plateau process like learning new licks. Deceptive.

David, what are you hoping to clear out in your home? Mould? Poisons?

To younger readers: sorry about the middle-age medical-fest ... think of it as a crystal ball :)

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

..........That is a beautiful picture............looks like a great place to be.............good luck with the quitting...........I need to also, my 8 year old prays every night that I stop............every time I tried before, it didn't work out. Reading your post has me thinking about it again.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:21 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Grea, it makes me happy that you are eliminating all these toxins. I wish you the strength of a thousand successful cigarette quitters.

And you were worried about. I'm glad you're back, it's a relief.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Renegade

LG, it sure isn't easy! I hope you manage it. Since leaving the health retreat it's been a lot harder to stay off - I confess to a little smoking ... but no tobacco!

Thanks Larry - rest assured I'm back ... to annoy everyone with my esoteric ramblings :)

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Hey POL...how about those electronic stoges.I hear they are pretty nasty.Hopekully smsking one of those retched thing will but a burr in you saddle,and make the whole thing comlpetelt distasteful.

Hell,if i could quit...you can do it too.And I still mean it about the whole reach out for support phone thing.Cheers.:)

Steve B
Old 12-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Renegade

Steve, I like the way you capitalise POL, as though I'm a new model after HAL malfunctioned ... Percussive Online Lady?

I've tried electronic cigs (not to quit, just checking out my nephew's) - quite nice, really :) I'm confident about staying off the cigs. Happy to keep mulling up, though, just as long as I don't overdo it again.

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-23-2012, 12:31 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
I've tried electronic cigs (not to quit, just checking out my nephew's) - quite nice, really :)
Wow, cool, I was wondering about these E-cigs, are they as good as your post suggest, I could probably try them out, it's better than smoking real cigarettes, I'm planning to quit smoking, but it was a tough period recently, not the best time to quit, tell me more Grea...

Last edited by Mad About Drums; 12-23-2012 at 02:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-23-2012, 04:44 AM

was watching Family Feud the other day. the topic was:

Things You'd Like To See Your Son Achieve By The Time He's 30.

no one said Have A Top 10 Record.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrangefunk View Post
was watching Family Feud the other day. the topic was:

Things You'd Like To See Your Son Achieve By The Time He's 30.

no one said Have A Top 10 Record.
Probably cuz they didn't ask anyone in showbiz.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

I bought a cocktail shaker the other day. We're going to have Brandy Alexanders.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Renegade

Jay, I'd love to be around when you get the BA's going - my favourite cocktail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
I was wondering about these E-cigs, are they as good as your post suggest, I could probably try them out, it's better than smoking real cigarettes, I'm planning to quit smoking, but it was a tough period recently, not the best time to quit, tell me more Grea...
Yes, not the time to quit, for sure. My nephew started with them but I have to say that he's back on the cigs, so they obviously lack something.

Best I did was go to the health retreat. Away from my routines and triggers in a supportive atmosphere. Also I could quit the nico gum crutch and go nico free without losing friends and ruining my (probably barely existent) reputation.

I still used the gum for a week with no drama but the first day away without any nicotine was probably the first time in my life, snce I've had nico in my system since the womb. I got very dark and bawled my eyes out in my (hopefully soundproofed) room for hours. Then I was scheduled to do some vigorous workouts and I felt tons better afterwards. I've been fair-to-middling since but, as any ex smoker will tell you, the urges don't go away, but they do reduce in frequency and intensity

Some people do it easy, some don't.

Here's a great line I picked up from the retreat ... pertinent to drumming as well as real life ...

Tension is who you think you should be, but relaxation is who you are.

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Hey POL...how about those electronic stoges.I hear they are pretty nasty.Hopekully smsking one of those retched thing will but a burr in you saddle,and make the whole thing comlpetelt distasteful.

Hell,if i could quit...you can do it too.And I still mean it about the whole reach out for support phone thing.Cheers.:)

Steve B
Wow...I just reread my post.It's still not a good idea to post with two hours sleep.I think I may have spelled two words correctly.Sorry Pol.:)

Steve B
Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Administrator

As an ex-smoker, I am afraid the e-cigs still reinforce the manual habits, the oral fixation etc. The basic act of putting something in your mouth and drawing on it will keep the smoking habit around for a while. The best way for me was cold turkey. Just walk away from it and don't look back.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Renegade

Steve, it could be worse ... I missed the typos ... and I had adequate sleep. As usual, there's some blunders of my own ...

Best thing I did was go to the health retreat. ... I still used the gum for a week with no drama but the first day away without any nicotine was probably the first time in my life, snce I've had no nico in my system since the womb.

John, you're right about reinforcing the actions but those of us who'd just about jump off a bridge with cold turkey will grab any lifeline we can!

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

You can do it Pol!!

Prectice pad and sticks everywhere you go...force yourself to do 1,000 perfect rudements when the craving hits.

Glad to hear you are investing so much in your health.