DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

Default Emperor or G2 for floor tom

Started some recording and realized that my Aquarian Classic Clear isn't cutting it for the floor tom. I have a clear G1 on my 10", and Classic Clears on both my 12 and 14" (floor). I much prefer the brightness of the G1.

I'm looking for a deep sound out of the floor tom (in as much as possible, being a 14 x 14"). I was thinking of going coated for a warmer deeper sound but I'm not sure if I want to go with a Remo Emperor or an Evans G2. I know they are virtually the same, we all know that but I'm concerned about small differences like depth, tone, tunability, low-tunings, etc. Does the Emperor have the same coating problems as the Ambassador? This will be for recording only.

btw I play pretty aggressively (think Jimmy Chamberlin, Matt Cameron, Carter Beauford) & the reso is a Genera Resonant.

thanks...

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Emperor or G2 for floor tom

They do spec out the same, but I find the G2 is a little sweeter/lighter than the Emperor. Not sure why that would be though.

For low end from a 14", you might try a beefier 1-ply, like the Evans G14. It's also 14mil but a single ply, so it sings better. If it's to much, you can always dampen it, but with a 2-ply, there's no way to get more resonance if you need it.

Bermuda
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

I've compared a coated G2 to a coated Emperor on a snare and they really don't sound anything alike to me. The tonal differences are very big, at least in my particular case.

The coating on the Evans showed very little signs of use after several days. The coating on the Emperor wears away in the strike zone within minutes/hours, but man, they sure do sound alot better to me.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Yeah, it's like comparing a coated G1 to a coated Ambassador, they're both 10mil, yet they're different. I don't know if it's the coating, or the supposed proprietary Mylar that Remo says DuPont makes for them.

But it's those differences that make each brand particularly attractive. Very few drummers will say "I don't really care if I use Remo or Evans", they usually have a strong preference one way or the other.

Bermuda
Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

I find clear Gplus or G14 over your genera resonant on a 14" floor tom is a very sweet, deep, yet open combination.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

I've recently done a lot of 'trying out' new heads and was directly comparing clear Emperors, Aquarian Response 2 clears and clear Evans G2's. And that is the order I prefer them in. Just reaffirmed my preference for clear Emperors. Hard to put my finger on it but I find them the sweetest on most of my toms (but not everything).

It's got something to do with the attack and feel for me....fast yet soft. Deep, punchy.

Neal
Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Silver Member

I think I'm done with Aquarian heads for the time being, at least on toms. I've recorded my last two albums with them and about to do my next one with two on my toms, and I'm getting some of the same results - tubby and flubby. Some of that can be absolved with tighter tuning, but let's face it - the sound of Aquarian is generally darker and for some "warmer", and really gives that 70s thump generously.

I know that's a broad generalization but I've recorded with 5 different types of Aquarian heads and they all have that character to some degree. Not necessarily a BAD thing, but I'm ready to start using some bright and punchy tones. The G1 on my 10" gave that fast snap, makes me smile every time. I'm leaning towards the G2 but I know there's a lot of diehard Emperor fans out there!

Old 12-13-2012, 04:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusMySavior View Post
I think I'm done with Aquarian heads for the time being, at least on toms. I've recorded my last two albums with them and about to do my next one with two on my toms, and I'm getting some of the same results - tubby and flubby. Some of that can be absolved with tighter tuning, but let's face it - the sound of Aquarian is generally darker and for some "warmer", and really gives that 70s thump generously.

I know that's a broad generalization but I've recorded with 5 different types of Aquarian heads and they all have that character to some degree. Not necessarily a BAD thing, but I'm ready to start using some bright and punchy tones. The G1 on my 10" gave that fast snap, makes me smile every time. I'm leaning towards the G2 but I know there's a lot of diehard Emperor fans out there!
Honestly? The way you describe the Aquarians is the same way i'd describe the G1 and G2 I've tried on my snare and the G1s I tried on my toms. That makes me wonder if you'd like Remo more?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Silver Member

Well the choice was easy. They were out of Remo Emperors so I went with a coated G2. Putting it on as we speak, I'm sure it will sound great. Looks weird though, two clear heads and a coated head! Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes... :-) Still better than the tom angles thread!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Ha...coated tone was not what I was expecting. I guess I can live with it for now or buy a clear. Goes to show you the quest never ends!

Old 12-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

BTW, how do these coated G2's do on a snare? I could use it for that and spring for a clear G2 or hit a G14 online perhaps for the tom.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

The last time I put a coated G2 on top of a snare, I did not like it at all. However, some drummers love them as snare batters. I have gone to all single-ply batter heads, except on my 18" bass drum, which has an EQ3. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark