DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 PM

Default Rack tom mounts for non-drill toms

I apologize if this has been covered ad nauseum, but my 70s Ludwig customs need some hardware TLC.

Right now, I'm only using the 12" tom in a snare basket and it's never at an optimum height/angle/closeness to bass drum. I'd like to use the 13" as well.

I'm also getting two new cymbal boom stands (likely the Pearl BC-900 with the adjustable/"hideable" cymbal boom) which will each mount a tom respectively.

Right now, my options as far as suspension-mounting the toms themselves seem to be:

- Pearl ISS
- DW STM
- Gibraltar (Gretsch uses these I think) SC-GTS

The DW looks to be the most robust/thought-out, but I'm not sure if its universal or not (i.e. the tension lugs will line up with my toms). The 4-lug design of the Gibraltar one seems (and because it's Gibraltar, I'm assuming its universal) to be my best bet as far as tom mounts:

Next in the chain -- if going with Gibraltar SC-GTS -- is the L-rod Super Tom Mount with Memory Lock (i.e. the tom mount itself that bolts onto the suspension mount).

After that, I need an L-Rod arm and a clamp. I could go with a Gibraltar L-Rod with clamp, like this:

... but the Pearl AX-25L seems to be so much more flexible...

but I'd still need an L-rod (or an I-Rod) or perhaps an entire tom arm as it doesn't look like the outside clamp would tighten down enough for a rod (docs say 1/2" to 1 1/8" but not sure if that's for both clamps). Also not sure if that's just going to add too much weight (obviously I'll need to pivot over/between stand legs as required).

Or maybe I should just get a combo cymbal/tom stand as I need two new cymbal stands as well (crash left, crash right).

I guess my big concern is that with cymbal/tom combo stands and the Gibraltar-only parts (as opposed to augmenting with the Pearl AX-25L), it just seems like the rack toms will be too close to the stands, i.e. from my guestimating from the product images, it looks like I'd have a 4-6" span between the tom mount and the cymbal stand, which means there would be a lot of cymbal overhang on the toms.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I want to do this once, and do it right, and the money's not really an issue as I learned long ago to spend what it takes to get the job vs. cheaping out and re-buying several times.

Anyone been there, done that as far as mounting non-drilled rack toms? I should note that bass drum is not drilled either so a standard double-tom T-bar into the bass drum is not an option either. A rack is an option but seems ugly/overkill for my modest kit setup.

Another thought is to get a double-tom mount stand with legs and do a triangular setup that I've seen others adopt (i.e. kick drum and snare are equidistance in an isosceles triangle type setup with the kick off to the left instead of straight ahead), but I'm not sure I want to commit to that just yet.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Default Re: Rack tom mounts for non-drill toms

I have never been a huge fan of putting floating mounts on vintage drums

the old shells and lugs were not built like they are today and I feel are not prepared to bear weight on the tension rods and lugs like that

just a personal thing and my 2 cents on the issue

if you can't use the original mount system I think snare basket is the way to go for vintage shells

either that or a modern rod that will fit the original mount on the shell
Old 12-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

I AM a fan of suspension mounts for toms. The way my 60s and 70s 3-ply Ludwig toms "opened up" after removing the original tom mounts was mind-blowing.

The distance between my stand and tom is roughly 6", including the RIMS mount and the L arm mount. I play with either a 16" or 18" crash on that stand, and I have never had an issue with the cymbal crowding the tom too much. Sure, it overlaps a little, but it has never gotten in my way. I mount my cymbals about 3" above the tom, too. On paper, it seems like it would get in the way, but it really doesn't...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 12-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

I have used a Gretsch GTS mount (off a Catalina kit) on a 60's Slingerland 12 tom (similar to the RIMS mount above . As Caddy noted, you can mount off a cymbal stand and there is plenty of room for an 18 inch crash.

But unless you plan on using both your 12 and 13 toms with mounts this way, I would continue using the snare basket for one tom - its much easier, and one can exchange toms, and has more mojo appeal for me.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM

Thanks guys.

To clarify:

- there's no mounts at all on these things; no sign of filler on the inside either so no idea how these would've been mounted originally (according to the badge they were made between 69' and '71)

- I want to use the 12 and the 13".

What's the RIMS mounting system? When you say 6" away, are you using a similar clamp-to-L-Rod like the Gibraltar one? And is your cymbal mounted on the top of the main shaft or is there a boom/extension on it? Just seems so crowded; must be an Internet 2-d optical illusion lol
Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
What's the RIMS mounting system? When you say 6" away, are you using a similar clamp-to-L-Rod like the Gibraltar one? And is your cymbal mounted on the top of the main shaft or is there a boom/extension on it? Just seems so crowded; must be an Internet 2-d optical illusion lol
Look at the thread about my kit in my signature. You can see for yourself. Actually, I measured, and it's more like 4.5" away. I guess there's an extra inch or two of play with the cymbal tilter top, as well.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Look at the thread about my kit in my signature. You can see for yourself. Actually, I measured, and it's more like 4.5" away. I guess there's an extra inch or two of play with the cymbal tilter top, as well.
Cool, yeah complete optical illusion: the front shot looked so crowded but the birds-eye shot looks great, space-wise.

So RIMS is the original, trademarked rim mounting system of the 70s. You're using RIMS imitations. What's the brand?

The Gibraltar mounting system looks really similar and I like the fact that it's a 4-lug design; still, haven't heard/seen any reviews so I'm a bit leery as to the quality.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

So RIMS is the original, trademarked rim mounting system of the 70s. You're using RIMS imitations. What's the brand? .
Purecussion. Got them 5 years ago.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

RIMS is Pearl.
GTS are Gibraltar or Gretsch.
there ar eother trade names.
They all do the same thing basically, suspend a tom from its lug bolts (4 to 6 of them). This is undrilled toms.

It can be difficult and expensive to find these things on their own. For example I costed out the Gibraltar mount, adapter etc and it came to $100+ then there's the other parts.

Thus I used used parts of other kits to fit the bill. Cheaper if you look around.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
RIMS is Pearl.
GTS are Gibraltar or Gretsch.
there ar eother trade names.
They all do the same thing basically, suspend a tom from its lug bolts (4 to 6 of them). This is undrilled toms.

It can be difficult and expensive to find these things on their own. For example I costed out the Gibraltar mount, adapter etc and it came to $100+ then there's the other parts.

Thus I used used parts of other kits to fit the bill. Cheaper if you look around.
Actually I'm pretty sure RIMS is Gauger; Pearl is (was) ISS, and now Optimount... splitting hairs, I know, but its hard to keep track of all this. So many choices nowadays.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

Simplest recommendation:
Ball L-rod mount: http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...d=466&pid=1591
I'd get one of these brackets just because I think the chrome looks better: http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...d=469&pid=1605

I'd just get the Gibraltar SC-GTS mount you mentioned.

Pearl's ISS isn't really recommended, go for Optimounts if you want Pearl. And I thought the DW STM only worked with DW lugs.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
Simplest recommendation:
Ball L-rod mount: http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...d=466&pid=1591
I'd get one of these brackets just because I think the chrome looks better: http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...d=469&pid=1605

I'd just get the Gibraltar SC-GTS mount you mentioned.

Pearl's ISS isn't really recommended, go for Optimounts if you want Pearl. And I thought the DW STM only worked with DW lugs.
Yeah and after seeing Caddy's Frankenstand setup, I'll definitely going the lightweight route and will continue to use one rack tom. Suitcase. Awesome.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah and after seeing Caddy's Frankenstand setup, I'll definitely going the lightweight route and will continue to use one rack tom. Suitcase. Awesome.
Yeah, it is pretty awesome. A whole lot more awesome than using the big rolling hardware case I was using before. All of the hardware specs and pictures are in that thread...run with it!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Yeah, it is pretty awesome. A whole lot more awesome than using the big rolling hardware case I was using before. All of the hardware specs and pictures are in that thread...run with it!
Been a while since I had a gig (and that's about to change), but I used to throw everything into a smelly old hockey bag. Suitcase is the way to go.