DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 PM

Default What do you guys carry your percussion in?

I'm a rock drummer but have a few LP mountable toys that I use (cowbell, tamb, jam block, 2 sets of agogos). Basically use each item for one song each. Not an integral part of my drum kit, but they serve a purpose. Haven't brought it all to a gig yet other than the cowbell, which is pretty dinged up but still sounds good.

Anyone else who has a few of these things, how do you carry them to gigs? I don't want to just throw them in with my stands and hardware because I'm afraid they'll get dinged up. However I prefer to leave the mounting brackets attached TO the percussion item. Then all I have to do is mount the bracket to the cymbal stands when I setup.

I'm guessing maybe a shallow, hard plastic tote, using towels or something to prevent it all from clanging around.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What do you guys carry your percussion in?

Yeah the finish on a cowbell will get destroyed unprotected in a gig bag, but a worn finish on a cowbell looks cooler IMO... looks like you've played it. You can wrap them in a pillow case, then in your hardware bag.

You can also wrap your stands in pillow cases, works well. Leave whichever one you take out first (stool?) unwrapped.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 PM

Load those items up AFTER everything else is already ready to travel.

I've got an LP cow bell and a set of tama mini timbales. Usually i leave the cowbell stand on the cybal stand, since it's fairly small, and i play that flat in between two sturdy points so it doesn't slide around as i drive. i do the same for the timbales. I figure if you remove the item from the mount, all you have to do is adjust the item (assuming your cymbal position is where you like it to be). which in that case the cymbal stand is already right about where you want iit, just tweak it a bit. But if i remove my mounts, it seems that i have to fidget with them more to get them where i wanted em.

Not trying to change the way you do it, but maybe give it a shot :) If your mounts are small enough, they should slide in the bag fairly easily with all the other gear. Saves a little time in my opinion :)

But to answer your actual question, i havent carried them in anything just yet. i just set them somewhere in the back of my explorer so they don't slide around or anything
Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 AM

my cymbal bag has a zippered pouch for smaller items. milk crate for larger items.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Gold Member

Protection Racket Bongo Bag works for me.

GJS
Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

In my hardware case, or if there's enough of it, in a separate case. I wrap everything in rags/towels, except for anything breakable (Flex-A-Tone, claves, wood blocks, vibraslaps, etc), I put in small boxes.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195