DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 AM

Default Anyone else beta testing the New Myspace?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, new.myspace.com

So far the site looks really nice, but so far I have exactly 0 people connected who actually post, so if you have it, add me here plz new.myspace.com/shoopbop

If you want a invite pm your email address and I'll send you one.

here's some screen grabs

Band Pages

Homepage (bear in mind I have very few stories coming in because I'm only connected to 2 people)

Last edited by Lunar Satellite Brian; 12-11-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:27 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Anyone else beta testing the New Myspace?

I'd been on MySpace since maybe 2006, and it ran its course for me and most of its members a few years ago. But I figured I'd log in to see what's different.

Apparently, nothing. When they changed to the current obtuse navigation a few years back, that's when artists and visitors alike started losing interest.

There is one noticeable difference though, it is painfully, hopelessly slow.

EDIT: Oh, I see there's an actual beta site. To bad I can't view it in my browser. Oh well, another smart move by MySpace.

Bermuda
Old 12-11-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post

Bermuda
Actually the new site does work pretty well, song uploads work much like Soundcloud, everything seems to run very smoothly
Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

MySpace used to be pretty slick in the beginning, but the formatting later became very convoluted and uninviting. With sites Reverbnation and even Facebook having become the norm for bands to network, I wonder if MS can be revived?

Bermuda
Old 12-11-2012, 02:09 AM

i think myspace could definitely could come back for social networking, since facebook has become increasingly less practical for personal use. As for the band pages they are all extremely easy to navigate and use, but, I still have my doubts.

i'll try to upload some screenshots of various portions of the site for those whom are interested to see.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

I found my first 'New MySpace' bug within a minute.

My browser is set to show all movies as HTML5 by default, rather than Flash. I loaded up the demo video and the bar at the bottom of the window hid my playback bar. Nice work right there.

It looks better than it used to. Then again, the sight of Brutus in the mouth of The Beast in the lower Canto of Hell looks better than it used to.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 PM

Haven't tried the beta version myself but those screenshots look kinda confusing.

The original myspace was great for what it was, but they really lost it when they started changing things up and wanted to be more like facebook. Now it just looks like they want to be like spotify/itunes.

Soundcloud and reverbnation are great because it's about the music. No gimmicks.

I hate it when every one of these companies / web sites has every little thing included on the site that they can possibly think of. It's just too much. Sticking to one main thing and making that one thing work properly, that's the key.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poika View Post
Haven't tried the beta version myself but those screenshots look kinda confusing.

The original myspace was great for what it was, but they really lost it when they started changing things up and wanted to be more like facebook. Now it just looks like they want to be like spotify/itunes.

Soundcloud and reverbnation are great because it's about the music. No gimmicks.

I hate it when every one of these companies / web sites has every little thing included on the site that they can possibly think of. It's just too much. Sticking to one main thing and making that one thing work properly, that's the key.
True, I think Myspace cut down on their goals this time, before they were a social network plus music plus 7,000 other things, this time around they pretty much stuck to music and social networking, and to be honest I think it turned out well, Uploading music is a lot like myspace but the you get the same sort of exposure of Spotify. And the social aspect of the site is incredibly simple, as it should be.
I think the site could be a huge success like Myspace when it first came out, or an epic failure. Either way I think it's fun to observe.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Honestly?

The brand is horrendously damaged from their previous misdemeanours. Although the site certainly now has merit in terms of what they're trying to do, the brand is just toxic.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:35 PM

It's true that the social network -side of things were a big part of myspace to start out with, but facebook really took it to a whole different level.
Also in this part of the world myspace was primarily used for music-related networking, not personal networking.

I think in order for myspace to pull it off now they should just leave the networking part to just kinda something that's done on the side, and focus purely on the music.

But it's interesting to see what happens.