DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 PM

Default Choosing Double-Pedals, Which One?

Right now I am using a Gibraltar Prowler double pedal. It is super low end and has very limited adjustment. I have had a number of parts break on it, but thanks to some redneck ingenuity I have fixed it with some stuff around the house. Now I am looking for some new double kicks and I am not sure what I should get. There is so much to choose from and so many styles that I thought it would be wise to ask some fellow drummers on their opinion. So hopefully you guys can help me narrow down my search.

Here's my criteria of what I am looking for:
- Has to be of professional/high quality
- Can be no more than $600 (I am on a student budget)
- Must be versatile enough for heavy/fast playing (metal) as well as comfortable enough for some regular stuff like rock or r&b.

I have seen a few pedals that really caught my attention, but I have not made up my mind on them.

The first pair was a pearl P122TW PowerShifter. They belong to my church and I love playing them. The guy that sold it to the church said they have a value of around $400. is this true? anyways they are very nice and fluid and have lots of punch to them. They also come with 4 pairs of cams that can be used to change the power-speed-smoothness abilities. very nice.

Another pair I saw was the DW5000 series. I found them very attractive and I love the double chain feature as well as the anodized red pedal boards. They seemed very affordable and a good deal for value. So far this is the pedal I am most leaning for out of all the ones I have seen, but like I said, I haven't committed to any one double pedal yet.

The last pair that caught my attention was the Iron Cobra's. I noticed that they were very affordable, but lacked in detail and selection of adjustment when compared to the DW or Pearl. Also, EVERY drummer in my town has a pair of Iron Cobra's which kind of ruins the originality of getting some new and different. Nevertheless there is no doubt that they are quality pedals.

Obviously I would like to have some Demon Drives or DW 9000's but they are beyond my price range. So fire away! let me know what you think and what you would buy and hopefully your opinions will give me a great idea on what to buy.

thanks eh!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Choosing Double-Pedals, Which One?

Id say mapex falcon. They come with chain, belt, two cams and the case not to mention grip tape and many other cool features. There also technically a long board but has a heel plate. You can also purchase a direct drive upgrade. Really versatile. Ot you could save a little bit more and buy trick dominators :-P
Old 10-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Right now I am using a Gibraltar Prowler double pedal. It is super low end and has very limited adjustment. I have had a number of parts break on it, but thanks to some redneck ingenuity I have fixed it with some stuff around the house. Now I am looking for some new double kicks and I am not sure what I should get. There is so much to choose from and so many styles that I thought it would be wise to ask some fellow drummers on their opinion. So hopefully you guys can help me narrow down my search.

- Must be versatile enough for heavy/fast playing (metal) as well as comfortable enough for some regular stuff like rock or r&b.

I have seen a few pedals that really caught my attention, but I have not made up my mind on them.

The first pair was a pearl P122TW PowerShifter. They belong to my church and I love playing them. The guy that sold it to the church said they have a value of around $400. is this true? anyways they are very nice and fluid and have lots of punch to them. They also come with 4 pairs of cams that can be used to change the power-speed-smoothness abilities. very nice.

Another pair I saw was the DW5000 series. I found them very attractive and I love the double chain feature as well as the anodized red pedal boards. They seemed very affordable and a good deal for value. So far this is the pedal I am most leaning for out of all the ones I have seen, but like I said, I haven't committed to any one double pedal yet.

The last pair that caught my attention was the Iron Cobra's. I noticed that they were very affordable, but lacked in detail and selection of adjustment when compared to the DW or Pearl. Also, EVERY drummer in my town has a pair of Iron Cobra's which kind of ruins the originality of getting some new and different. Nevertheless there is no doubt that they are quality pedals.

Obviously I would like to have some Demon Drives or DW 9000's but they are beyond my price range. So fire away! let me know what you think and what you would buy and hopefully your opinions will give me a great idea on what to buy.

thanks eh!
Hey man, I think they're still on sale at MF for $399 until October!!!
Cheaper than the Trick Dominator pedals I bought (which I love).
I still use the DW9000 single on occassional gigs.(love that one too)
Old 10-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

Aren't most pro-level pedals under $500? I think you can get whatever you want. I'm a big fan of either the Tama or the DW ones, but I would think all the pro ones feel pretty good.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

I'd go the dw9000's. The 5000s are quite heavy, which wouldn't suit your faster playing but dw are solid and well made, I have a 9000 hi hat and it's beautiful. I jumped on a 9000 pedal and it was perfect for me.

I currently have demon drives (a bit light) used to play iron cobras (a bit stiff).

I actually like the pearl 900 alot, they're more mid range but they just feel right to me.. Only downside is the hinge gets flimsy over time as it does with the eliminator, which is also a great pedal btw.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

I play the Iron Cobra Jr. - super cheap and a little slow but get the job done. I liked the speed cobra's when I played them - super smooth. Play what you can and see how they feel to you, that'll be the easiest way to choose which one you want.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

Pearl DemonDrive's are amazing if you can afford them.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

get a used Trick.....none better.

F
Old 12-09-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

thanks eh!
I've got some DW9000's I'd let go for $550, still under your budget right? They're NIB still sealed from the factory, special ordered straight from DW on Black Friday. Comes with the case inside and the Nylon Strap/ Chain option. PM me if you're interested!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
get a used Trick.....none better.

F
The bigfoots are easily the best pedals I've ever played. Super quick and smooth, and makes playing db even if you have never played it before easy. If you've got the money, would be a great investment.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:34 AM
Silver Member

I would jump on getting TXC's DW9000. It's a deal that u just can't beat. Well, as long as the shipping doesn't cost a million bucks.
I played a DW5000 lastnight. I set the spring tension and the beater height as close as I could to my current setting on my DW4000. Honestly, it didn't feel half as good as my 4000. I was thinking that maybe it was just that I'm so used to my 4000, that I just could get a good feel on his 5000. But, I played a DW7000 a couple months ago. Set up the same as my 4000, it felt much better than my 4000. It's just my opinion, but you should maybe looki into the DW4000, DW7000. But, TXC'S DW9000 is a great deal and is much better than the 4000 and 7000. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:43 AM

To the last two posters.
This was posted in October doubt he's still looking.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by <(' . '<) View Post
To the last two posters.
This was posted in October doubt he's still looking.
Who knows! I mean the thread is still active
Old 12-10-2012, 03:33 AM
Silver Member

I always forget to look at the date. I usually reply to interesting threads that are at the top of the discussion pages. LOL