DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-08-2012, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-squared View Post
I think the ongoing Meg White debate boils down to how far one is willing to stretch a word definition. If you consider someone who plays Putt Putt and has never set foot on a golf course a "golfer", then you can call Meg White a "drummer".
Golf is a competitive sport. Music is an expressive art form. Judging a musician by the same criteria one judges an athlete is invalid and underdeveloped in one's understanding and appreciation of art in general and music specifically.

Not that there's anything wrong with liking technical music just for the fun of it. But thinking it's technicality makes it better than music which isn't technical is illogical. That way of thinking would rate some of the dated, pedestrian shred metal of the 1980's as better music than Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Unless one is in junior high school drawing the logo's of one's favorite bands on his/her notebooks, that would generally be seen as a sign of not having developed a mature enough outlook on what constitutes good music.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodrummer1964 View Post
Golf is a competitive sport. Music is an expressive art form. Judging a musician by the same criteria one judges an athlete is invalid and underdeveloped in one's understanding and appreciation of art in general and music specifically.

Not that there's anything wrong with liking technical music just for the fun of it. But thinking it's technicality makes it better than music which isn't technical is illogical. That way of thinking would rate some of the dated, pedestrian shred metal of the 1980's as better music than Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Unless one is in junior high school drawing the logo's of one's favorite bands on his/her notebooks, that would generally be seen as a sign of not having developed a mature enough outlook on what constitutes good music.
I don't know where that post is that you just quoted....but it may be the single best thing I have ever read on these boards
Old 12-08-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
I don't know where that post is that you just quoted....but it may be the single best thing I have ever read on these boards
Thank you, assuming you're refering to my post and not the one I quoted.

In another post I read in this thread the poster complained about someone like Meg White, who doesn't practice, making it bigger in the music industry than he did, when he practices diligently at perfecting his skills. I can see the human tendency to think that's not fair, but the fact is it's completely fair. One makes it in the music business by offering one's music for sale, and if the public decides they like what someone else does more, that's their decision and not a legitimate reason to complain.

The majority of the music buying public couldn't care less about the drum part. They like the song as a whole, so if one isn't making it as big as a group like the White Stripes, then one should look at his/her group as a whole. Do you write songs that are so catchy they stick in people's heads even when they aren't physically listening to them, the way Seven Nation Army does. Do you fit in with the audience's current taste, the way the minimalistic approach of the White Stripes resonated with people who were tired of overproduced, poser music when the Stripes came out? Is your visual asthetic appealing enough for you to stick out grab peoples' attention? All these are more important factors in "making it" in the music business than how many hours a day you practice your drums, unless you're competing in a market like jazz which favors substance over style. And even there, you'll notice they use females' attractiveness as a marketing tool, as seen with Diana Krall and Esperanza Spaulding.

So in short, one is entitled to think his/her drumming is on a higher level than someone like Meg White's, but one is not entitled to think that the world owes it to you to like your music better than Meg White's. And if you choose to pursue music as a career, that's just the way it goes. There's nothing unfair about that and it's not a legitimate reason to put down what Meg does.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodrummer1964 View Post

Drums can be competitive. I'm competitive and I was better when I was 9 than Meg White has ever been,
Old 12-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Everything you just said Ohio. The people that put her down, if they don't care for the music, that's perfectly fine, but putting down her playing because "she's not good enough", is totally missing the point of HER playing the music, and why SHE is playing it.

MOST drummers out there, and the vast majority of drummers that put her down couldn't do what she does because they would feel the need to muck it up with "drum stuff" and "SEE! NOTICE ME, I'M GREAT!"
6 months of being in a well known band, and being "un-noticed" by the press, not getting the attention they feel they "deserve", or being put down by numbskulls on drum sites saying it's too simple, or they play like crap would throw them into a tizzy.

She isn't in any other bands, making YouTube videos, or marketing herself. She's never talked about her drumming "skills" anywhere as far as I know, so the only reason to complain about her is because of jealousy.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Silver Member

RE: My Last Post

I'm not competitive to care that much about Meg White's drumming. I worry enough about my own.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-squared View Post
Drums can be competitive. I'm competitive and I was better when I was 9 than Meg White has ever been,
You have a point in that drums CAN be competitive. That's why we have the yearly Guitar Center drum off. However, that turns the drums into an athletic endeavor rather than an artistic one. If someone likes the athletic/technical/competitive aspects of drumming, I don't see anything wrong with that since it's just a matter of personal preference. The point I'm trying to make is that it's illogical and unfair to judge a drummer who just wants to rock out and doesn't care about the athletic side of drumming based on their lack of athletic attributes. That's like putting down a professional baseball player because he's not a good football player.

Whether one likes one aspect of drumming over the other, or likes them both, is a matter of personal preference, so if someone likes Thomas Lang more than Meg White, there's nothing wrong with that. Thinking that everyone else has to like Thomas Lang more than Meg White just because you do, however, is immature. If she's not trying to play like Mr. Lang, then it's pretty unintelligent to fault her for not doing so. And if I'd rather listen to Meg White than Thomas Lang, that's my perogative. There are a lot of insults people throw at drummers like Mr. Lang too, such as they are all flash and have no soul or substance to their music. I don't knock drummers like that anymore than I do drummers like Meg White. I play because it's fun. If someone else has fun playing something else than I do, why should I complain?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:47 AM
Silver Member

I'm just posting to take back what I said. I just realize how dumb negativity can be. So I'm not a fan of Meg White, and if someone said something ridiculously over-laudatory about her skill level I might snort ... but she worked for the band's sound, and if she gets you drumming, it's a good thing.

To even out the karma I'll work Hotel Yorba into my next set :-p
Old 02-08-2014, 12:09 AM
Pioneer Member

you know i am only posting here because i have recently watched some interviews with jack and meg -- and a great concert film. And this is what the white stripes were doing and what they are about -- according to jack:

he never wanted meg to practice or get good at drums. He forbid her to practice -- that raw, child-like drum banging is the sound he wanted. Remember this is the same guy that could buy the finest gibson or taylor guitars, but instead favored a plastic one from montgomery wards for his life shows.

It was their sound -- and honestly i loved it. It was raw and crude and awesome. Agree or not, but i dont think having steve gadd playing on those songs would have helped -- in fact, it would have hurt that sound that HE wanted and achieved. Personally i think meg is adorable and plays with an energy and freedom that a lot of us "trained and disciplined" now lack. She was the perfect sound for that band and i personally doubt the white stripes would have been as good without her. Obviously jack is the talent, but meg was just what he needed.

Thats my take anyway.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
It was their sound -- and honestly i loved it. It was raw and crude and awesome. Agree or not, but i dont think having steve gadd playing on those songs would have helped -- in fact, it would have hurt that sound that HE wanted and achieved. Personally i think meg is adorable and plays with an energy and freedom that a lot of us "trained and disciplined" now lack. She was the perfect sound for that band and i personally doubt the white stripes would have been as good without her. Obviously jack is the talent, but meg was just what he needed.

Thats my take anyway.
agree...........having Steve Gadd playing in "wont get fooled again"...would be a disaster!..I am a die hard fan of unique drummers, not the best ones who play by the book.