DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 06-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Default Mapex Falcon Doublepedal Video & Short Review

Hey guys,
I just recorded a video with my new mapex falcon pedal that I won in a competition. I haven't played double bass for a few months, so it's a bit sloppy.

LINK TO THE VIDEO

It's definitely a great pedal, especially for double bass. I'm much happier with it than with the axis, gibraltar and iron cobra pedals that I owned before.
The slave pedal offers a great, lag-free feel and the overall power of the pedal is awesome. It's easy to play fast double bass for a long duration with a lot of power.

One thing that didn't work out for me was the direct drive. Even though it has maximum power, it is way too excentric, so it's hard to play controlled double-strokes or patterns with it.
Other manufacturers (Pearl, Axis etc) have solved this problem better and offer better direct drive connections on their pedals in my opinion.
I found out that the Strap drive works best for me and enables fast doublebass playing as well as a great smooth feel and feedback for grooves.
And for the speed-freaks: You can definitely go as fast with it as with axis or demon drive pedals.

Many people (not me though) want their double pedal beaters as close together as possible in order to produce an equal bass drum sound.
This is definitely possible with the falcon, the beaters are almost touching each others.

What do you guys think about the Falcon?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Mapex Falcon Doublepedal Video & Short Review

i've always been impressed by this pedal. definitely VERY solid feeling. i just felt as the action and feel on the speed cobra was better for me. i'd still recommend the falcon and the raptor to people who want to play double kicks though, as you've shown in that video you indeed can go quite quick!

i think that speed mostly comes down to technique though. if you've got great feet you could probably clock quick speeds even on iron cobra jnrs or any starter pedal.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:43 PM

I have network pedals rightnow and am upgrading soon. Do you recomend these pedals?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilsM View Post
What do you guys think about the Falcon?
I bought a single Falcon pedal in october last year, I'm delighted with it, the ad says Let your feet fly..., lol, but after experimenting with all the various options and settings, I can say it's almost true :)

I use the glide cam, strap drive, 20g beater weight, medium to high spring tension and I use the rubber side of the beater, it's the smoothest pedal I've ever played, it has certainely enhanced my foot work.

http://www.falconpedal.com/
Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 PM

DISCLAIMER!!! The following is MY OPINION. Don't get all butthurt because you disagree. Its not fact, just MY OPINION. There's too much drama going on around here already, don't add to it.

I've heard nothing but good things about them, then I sat down and played one today...one of the cheapest feeling pedals I've ever played. I had the tension as low as it would go, and the whole tension adjustment assembly for the master pedal wobbled with every stroke. The slave assembly was pretty smooth. Now this was a floor model at guitar center, so its obviously been used and probably abused, but it was just terrible. I've played on speed kings 20 years old held together with duct tape that felt sturdier. I'm sure brand new out of the box they're nice, and maybe they'll stay like that with proper maitence, but I could never pick one up now, seeing how it was just about falling apart.

Allegra Drum Crafters
Revival Drum Shop
Yamaha Recording Custom
Allegra Master Craft
Old 06-04-2012, 10:25 PM
PDPx7Drummer

I could literally feel the effortless feeling in your playing man, great video and thanks for sharing! A good pedal or great pedal does what you want it to, not what you have to make it do. It's a workout and a struggle just to do constant doubles or to follow my right hand while doing diddles. I long for the day that I can get me something that feels and glides like this pedal does here. I should have waited and tried different pedals but it's hard to when Guitar Center doesn't really have many on the floor to try and even then I needed and wanted something asap so I could get going so I got "the next best and affordable thing" I could and that was the DW3000 double pedal. Unless I can sell it and get some or half my money back, it's going to suck seeing it sit there and having to take a loss. I'm almost ready to just get me a really nice single to work on my right foot and to have something that works effortlessly like this Mapex pedal does.

Again thanks for sharing, I like Mapex so I will keep this pedal series in mind!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

Hmmm Falcon or Speed Cobra...though choice for me :(
Old 06-18-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofizzm View Post
I've heard nothing but good things about them, then I sat down and played one today...one of the cheapest feeling pedals I've ever played.
Did this pedal have the direct drive connection? It didn't work out for me neither.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:28 PM

The Mapex Falcon pedal has to be the most under rated, hidden gem of a pedal on the market. I've played and loved dw5000 pedals forever and I still do, tried the dw9000 but liked the power of the 5000 better...but when I put my foot on a Falcon I thought, this can't be, it's a Mapex pedal ....but the Falcon is that nice of a pedal.

I found the Falcon with its slightly longer footboard to have great balance between power and light finess playing. I use the standard turbo/round cam which I like better than the accelerated type of cam.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 AM

I am a proud owner of 2 single p1000 falcons (being a dual bass drum player). I have tried pretty much every single pedal out there and the ones people consider the best pedals on the market. I've owned and played Tama's Iron Cobra power glides (cobra coil); played the flexi glide and rolling glides (w/cobra coil) as well, played the Speed Cobra's in store at a local Long & Mcquade fresh out of the box with my own tweaking done to them, played the DW5000 and 7000 in store, owned the DW9000 which I broke the springs on from brand new within a month or 2 (medium to tight tension), owned those Axis pedals everyone loves to rave about and they're the cheapest feeling pedal I have ever played (I have had fellow drummers complain about them falling apart with extensive gigging), played Pearls original eliminators (would go with the Cobra PG's over them though), owned the Pearl Demon Drives which were very nice but feel on the cheap side (nice possibilities with this pedal though), I even owned the most expensive pedal on the market the TRICK Pro 1-V. All playing 2 singles mind you so possibly the double pedal versions would be a little different, but I dislike slave pedals. Some of the previous mentioned pedals do convert from 2 singles into a double pedal setup anyways if thats a deciding factor (Falcons, Demon Drives, Axis and the Trick). So with that all in mind, i absolutely love my Falcons. Maybe some have tried the cheaper version of them and those are exactly that. None the less the P1000 falcons hold up strong! dont be fooled, just look at the craftsmanship. Stunning to look at, and a solid heavy hitting well built pedal. Adjustments a plenty for the particular drum head in some of us drummers and probably one of if not THE most versatile beaters on the market. Their modo suites these pedals to a tee, LET YOUR FEET FLY. The Falcons are pillows to my feet. I am a total gear head and try to get my hands on anything I can to try out to improve my sound and setup. Mapex truly has a gem here, a very under estimated pedal. Any questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps my fellow drummers out there!
\m/ \m/
Old 07-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benni"Scorpio"Thunderkix View Post
I am a proud owner of 2 single p1000 falcons (being a dual bass drum player). I have tried pretty much every single pedal out there and the ones people consider the best pedals on the market. I've owned and played Tama's Iron Cobra power glides (cobra coil); played the flexi glide and rolling glides (w/cobra coil) as well, played the Speed Cobra's in store at a local Long & Mcquade fresh out of the box with my own tweaking done to them, played the DW5000 and 7000 in store, owned the DW9000 which I broke the springs on from brand new within a month or 2 (medium to tight tension), owned those Axis pedals everyone loves to rave about and they're the cheapest feeling pedal I have ever played (I have had fellow drummers complain about them falling apart with extensive gigging), played Pearls original eliminators (would go with the Cobra PG's over them though), owned the Pearl Demon Drives which were very nice but feel on the cheap side (nice possibilities with this pedal though), I even owned the most expensive pedal on the market the TRICK Pro 1-V. All playing 2 singles mind you so possibly the double pedal versions would be a little different, but I dislike slave pedals. Some of the previous mentioned pedals do convert from 2 singles into a double pedal setup anyways if thats a deciding factor (Falcons, Demon Drives, Axis and the Trick). So with that all in mind, i absolutely love my Falcons. Maybe some have tried the cheaper version of them and those are exactly that. None the less the P1000 falcons hold up strong! dont be fooled, just look at the craftsmanship. Stunning to look at, and a solid heavy hitting well built pedal. Adjustments a plenty for the particular drum head in some of us drummers and probably one of if not THE most versatile beaters on the market. Their modo suites these pedals to a tee, LET YOUR FEET FLY. The Falcons are pillows to my feet. I am a total gear head and try to get my hands on anything I can to try out to improve my sound and setup. Mapex truly has a gem here, a very under estimated pedal. Any questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps my fellow drummers out there!
\m/ \m/
I see, which kind of cams do you use? BTW How would the Falcon compare to the speed cobras?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBob View Post
I see, which kind of cams do you use? BTW How would the Falcon compare to the speed cobras?
i use the pursuit cams on my Falcons with the chains. i am goin to order the direct drive link and see how that goes. i chose the Falcons over the speedcobras. they were the last 2 pedals i tried back to back and have this to say in comparison: as soon as i played on the Falcons i loved the feel they had, the smoothness, precision, and how heavy a hit i could get with them. also an extremely adjustable pedal. the beaters that come with the Falcons also are amazing. the inset weight you can add or take away (10g,20g, or have no weight in it) make them very customizable(and the set screw is in the weight so you cant lose it :) ). especially nice to have a double headed beater too. i absolutely dislike the beater that comes with the speedcobras. having played with them for upwards of 30 mins on a e-kit in the store i almost completely had the beater worn down from a point (you can adjust the angle on the beater head but still something to consider in quality of a felt beater). so saying that i still have my Falcon beaters and they're holding up very nicely. personally though i prefer the power glide iron cobra's to the speedcobra's. the speedcobras dont feel very nice to me and i also dislike the cam (if there was an interchangable cam like the Falcons i would like them more but still like the pg ic's over the sc's anyday). i couldn't get the footboard postion where i wanted it and dont like how the footboard feels on a barefoot (as i play barefoot). the nice things about the falcons is that there footboard is longer than a standard shortboard (traditional pedal); but not quite the length of a long board; i can still get a heel toe technique out of my Falcon also. now when i comes down to the craftsmanship in the pedal the Falcon wins by a landslide. very excellent well built pedal that looks stunning(nice powder coated finish). the speedcobras look cheap, and in my opinion are built cheap too. so in conclusion FALCONS all the way LET YOUR FEET FLY. to add i do play groove metal, death metal, and some deathcore kinda stuff but i know a jazzy style drummer that bought the some Falcon and well lets just say he's still groovin away on it. no complaints. its an impeciable all around pedal in my opionion. hope this helps and answers some questions for you! Keep On Groovin! \m/
Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
i use the pursuit cams on my Falcons with the chains. i am goin to order the direct drive link and see how that goes. i chose the Falcons over the speedcobras. they were the last 2 pedals i tried back to back and have this to say in comparison: as soon as i played on the Falcons i loved the feel they had, the smoothness, precision, and how heavy a hit i could get with them. also an extremely adjustable pedal. the beaters that come with the Falcons also are amazing. the inset weight you can add or take away (10g,20g, or have no weight in it) make them very customizable(and the set screw is in the weight so you cant lose it :) ). especially nice to have a double headed beater too. i absolutely dislike the beater that comes with the speedcobras. having played with them for upwards of 30 mins on a e-kit in the store i almost completely had the beater worn down from a point (you can adjust the angle on the beater head but still something to consider in quality of a felt beater). so saying that i still have my Falcon beaters and they're holding up very nicely. personally though i prefer the power glide iron cobra's to the speedcobra's. the speedcobras dont feel very nice to me and i also dislike the cam (if there was an interchangable cam like the Falcons i would like them more but still like the pg ic's over the sc's anyday). i couldn't get the footboard postion where i wanted it and dont like how the footboard feels on a barefoot (as i play barefoot). the nice things about the falcons is that there footboard is longer than a standard shortboard (traditional pedal); but not quite the length of a long board; i can still get a heel toe technique out of my Falcon also. now when i comes down to the craftsmanship in the pedal the Falcon wins by a landslide. very excellent well built pedal that looks stunning(nice powder coated finish). the speedcobras look cheap, and in my opinion are built cheap too. so in conclusion FALCONS all the way LET YOUR FEET FLY. to add i do play groove metal, death metal, and some deathcore kinda stuff but i know a jazzy style drummer that bought the some Falcon and well lets just say he's still groovin away on it. no complaints. its an impeciable all around pedal in my opionion. hope this helps and answers some questions for you! Keep On Groovin! \m/
now that i think about it, heel toe technique does not require a longboard to perform it, jus some practice. also i understand i repeated alot of the things i previously wrote about but i wanted to give you a comparison with out having to re-read my previous post, and i am just that passionate about the Falcons. \m/
Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Whao such a detail post!

So it seems Falcons wins over Cobras hmm...Alright then will be saving up for falcons though I can't try them side by side as in my country the drum shops don't overlap brands(Not sure how to call it) Ie One shop only have Pearl and Tama while the others have Mapex and Gretsch.

Anyways, Thank you once again for the great post and advice.

:D
Old 07-13-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBob View Post
Whao such a detail post!

So it seems Falcons wins over Cobras hmm...Alright then will be saving up for falcons though I can't try them side by side as in my country the drum shops don't overlap brands(Not sure how to call it) Ie One shop only have Pearl and Tama while the others have Mapex and Gretsch.

Anyways, Thank you once again for the great post and advice.

:D
no worries! it was my pleasure! I enjoy giving any advice I can to a fellow drummer. yeah its unfortunate that there is some shops like that. I guess I'm lucky that my local long and mcquade has everything. plus they even ordered me in the trick pro 1-v pedals I wanted to try...they are really good to me there :) I think you will really enjoy the Falcons. I am a tama guy and for pedals they just didn't quite have everything I wanted. for a little bit more money the Falcons are worth it. the case that also comes with it is sexy. thought its softshell allows for a lot of extra things to be kept in it(extra pockdts and such). excellent for gigs! it holds everything I need. LET YOUR FEET FLY \M/
Old 07-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
... for a little bit more money the Falcons are worth it.
Although I agree that the Falcon cost a little more than any single Cobras, BUT, because of the options possible and the different cams, drive modes, etc, included into the package, it's almost like buying all the Cobras in one single pedal, you can easily reproduce the feel of the Rolling Glide, Power Glide or Flexi Glide just by fitting the appropriate cam or drive mode onto the Falcon, with this in mind, the Mapex becomes extremely goog value.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Although I agree that the Falcon cost a little more than any single Cobras, BUT, because of the options possible and the different cams, drive modes, etc, included into the package, it's almost like buying all the Cobras in one single pedal, you can easily reproduce the feel of the Rolling Glide, Power Glide or Flexi Glide just by fitting the appropriate cam or drive mode onto the Falcon, with this in mind, the Mapex becomes extremely goog value.
Exactly. I have played every model of cobra pedal and can get all their types of feel outta my one pedal, The Falcon.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

I tried some today and they were pretty sluggish.. Was it the setting they're on or are they a bit like that?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilsM View Post
Did this pedal have the direct drive connection? It didn't work out for me neither.
It was the direct drive, haven't played the chain.

Allegra Drum Crafters
Revival Drum Shop
Yamaha Recording Custom
Allegra Master Craft
Old 07-21-2012, 11:40 PM

I have a falcon, and it is a single pedal. I have had it for a couple years. It is the smoothest pedal I have played.

Within a couple of months of owning it the beater broke, the spring on it snapped, and the toe stop came off of it. Things that weren't a big deal to me because they were fixable and the pedal feels really nice. However, I am having problems with the clamp clamping tight enough to the bass hoop. The pedal comes loose after playing a song or two which makes it difficult to play. I sent an email to Mapex to see if they could suggest a fix.

Anyone else have any problems with the hoop clamp that might have a fix?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:58 AM

Also have a Falcon Double, absolutely love it!

I think the best feature is all the extra "tuning extras" you get with the pedal... They really cater to as many players as possible. Its like buying 25 pedals in one...
Old 07-23-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
I tried some today and they were pretty sluggish.. Was it the setting they're on or are they a bit like that?
probably the setting. lots of tuning adjustment you can do to make it feel good. was there a weight in the beater? I find that makes it a bit sluggish. but I jus remove it. I use the weight for warm up and double bass practice.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM

I got in touch with Mapex and they ended up sending me a new pedal. I was really impressed with their customer service. I would definitely recommend checking these pedals out.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Imo, it was the direct drive linkages. I found that the linkages add a good amount of weight to the pedal. I own Axis A longboards as well and found that, for me, the mapex dd's are more of a cross between an Axis type pedal and a chain drive. In terms of lightness I've found that the Falcons with the strap drive and pursuit cam most replicates my Axis, but with a bit more omph to the hit. I also feel there a bit more controllable at high speed when trying to keep even strokes. I thinks the Falcon dd linkages were to have some weight shaved off of them that would make for awesome competition to the offerings from Pearl, Axis and the like. Besides Trick, I've never owned a pedal that's so easy to reach all the adjustments from sitting behind the kit.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Actually this one has the chain fitted, tried it again today.

I tried changing spring tension, changing beater angle, lowering beater height but none of those things seemed to lighten it up.

It had the double sided plastic/felt beater, which did feel kinda heavy but next to eliminators these things were tanks.

Maybe it was the cam.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 PM

Did you happen to notice what weights were in the beater head? The 10 gram weight or none installed would lighten up the pedal. i had Dw 9000's when I got my Falcons and felt they felt very similiar with the 20 gram weight installed. Both felt very fast and smooth but had a very heavy feel to them. I'm using iron cobra wood beaters on my falcon at the moment with straps and the pursuit cam and it's almost as quick as my axis with my Falcon beaters installed. I should note that i have the variable drive lever on my axis at the very bottom so there lightening quick.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member

Yep, has 10g weights in it. Wonder why it feels so heavy to me. I can try taking the weight off but maybe a cam is the culprit too.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:13 PM

It's possible that the cam is the issue but maybe more likely the chains. I see in your sig photos that you have demon drives. If your comparing the Falcons to those it would be tough for the Falcons to compare in terms of lightness. After following this thread for a bit I reinstalled the direct drives and noticed a big difference in how the pedal felt in regards to weight. I had leg surgery about a month ago so i can't really give them a good test to compare, but i just used my left foot for testing purposes and the straps were immediately reinstalled. Since I'm off work on medical leave and have plenty of time to burn maybe I'll try every option possible to give a better informed opinion.. The practice pads becoming monotonous anyway. For what it's worth I'm using iron cobra beaters at the moment so maybe that's why mine feel light. I don't know the weight difference in the two beaters but I would think it was pretty minimal.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

How are the falcon owners going?

I played one for an hour today.. Better settings than previously tried, and I can get it cheap as its a closing down sale. Heart was set on a 9000 but I think I really like this thing. Build quality is amazing, it looks really sexy, very powerful snd easy to play, just a tad sluggish with single foot doubles which I think is a good measure of a pedal but maybe I can get used to it.

Falcon vs 9000 thoughts? I know I hate those comparisons but humor me if you can.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Gold Member

i borrowed a friends 9000 for about 6 months, then proceeded to purchasing a new pedal for myself. i prefered the falcon over the 9000, however i settled on speed cobras (it was a toss between those and iron cobras with the power glide)
Old 11-14-2012, 01:49 AM

If you like the way the Falcons felt then I would definitely go that direction. I sold my 9000's when I got my Falcons for the simple reason that they're so much easier to adjust and have more options in regards to chain, strap or direct drive. Not to mention they're half the price. I switched back and forth between the two pedals and found that the 9000 just wasn't that much smoother of faster. I also prefer the slightly longer footboard and shorter heel plate.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Well I snapped them up today, for what I paid I can't really complain but I did kinda rush the decision. I'll have a good play with the settings over teh weekend.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

So what settings do you guys use?

So far I've got the strap with the black cams and no beater weights, but I still find the stroke a little bit awkward.

The delivery itself is so much better than my demon drives - no half volume mis-hits, every hit is big and powerful, and it's definitely easier to play constantly. I'm still in two minds about these pedals and wondering whether I should sell them while I can recoup my money or if I just need to give myself a chance to get used to them.

I haven't had very much time to experiment but I was thinking of playing with the footboard height and cam angle.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
So what settings do you guys use?

So far I've got the strap with the black cams and no beater weights, but I still find the stroke a little bit awkward.

The delivery itself is so much better than my demon drives - no half volume mis-hits, every hit is big and powerful, and it's definitely easier to play constantly. I'm still in two minds about these pedals and wondering whether I should sell them while I can recoup my money or if I just need to give myself a chance to get used to them.

I haven't had very much time to experiment but I was thinking of playing with the footboard height and cam angle.
I use the silver cams with the 10g weights and medium/light spring tension. Was using the chains but now use the straps. Am not a fan of the black cams but that's just me.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Bandit

On one kit I have two singles set up with with chains, med tension, heavy weights. On another kit I have a falcon double, on straps, med/light weight tension, and light beater weights. I actually like somewhere In between the two settings. The nice thing with theses pedals is you can change just about every setting on them. Take the time and find what works for you.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

So I A/B'd them with my demon drives and made the decision to sell the demon drives.

Speaking of the Falcons - while the stroke is slightly awkward for me (so far), the power and consistency is as good as it gets, and somehow they're also very fast. I am getting more comfortable with them as time goes on.

I never thought my demon drives felt "cheap" but these things feel a notch higher quality wise too.

The slim design actually comes in handy fitting between the lugs on my little 20" kick, and my sonor hi-hat stand which doesn't allow much room, and the shorter centre piece of the drive shaft is actually useful as it allows you to bring your hats in as close as you would if you were just playing single pedal. I guess the pearls were a bit nicer to look at but that's all they had on the mapex.

I got $350 for the demon drives... they were really pretty and nicely engineered and I felt kinda sad to sell them but they didn't really do the job... they weren't powerful, it was too easy to play a weak hit and I don't really agree with direct drive. I need 2 double pedals and I think I'm going to put this money towards a dw9002.