DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member

Default For my audio friends here

OK, the gear I personally use for my PA rig isn't that great, but it does get the job done. This is a power amp question. For the last few years I've been happy with my Crown XLS404D power amplifier (300 watts a side at 8 Ohms and weighs in at 30 pounds). Today, for my school gig, I bought the new and improved Crown XLS1500 amplifier for our keyboardist (same specs but only weighs 9 pounds!). Granted, neither of them come close to the old Macro Tech or new CTi amps we use in the Magic Kingdom, but the light weight of the new XLS amps makes me a bit nervous.

After years of growing up around big and heavy power amps, I can't believe they've made such improvements in technology that semiconductors and transistors do as a good a job as heavy transformers and such. Especially on the cheap. Anyone here think I'm crazy? Is the jury still out on this issue? Or are lightweight amplifiers good?

I haven't done a stress test on this new amp yet where I play stuff through it for hours, but I've read things about it where people really like them. I wonder how long it'll live?

Thoughts?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM

Default Re: For my audio friends here

My thought is that you have just awakened audiotech!!

Sorry to troll, I don't know too much on the topic. But I bet it'll be fine, as long as you didn't buy the Walmart version, you're probably gonna be surprised at how well it does for such a lightweight piece of gear
Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Me too Bo. From an era of heavy is good. I'm very pleased with the reliability of our gear, & it's all the new lightweight stuff. Mostly Logic System and QSC amp modules, anywhere between 1Kw & 3Kw RMS. No heating or transit robustness issues whatsoever. Bombproof audio performance too.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

You're both right and I've decided to upgrade! I sold my 35-pound Crown XLS402D amplifier and replaced it with the same Crown XLS1500 9-pound amplifier. My back is much happier and it sounds really good. After years of just dealing with amps between 30 and 50 pounds, this is obviously a mental leap of faith for me, but I will trust in the newer technology! We'll see how the new technology handles thumping drum sounds though.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 AM

Just keep the receipt just in case you aren't fully satisfied! Also, go to te gym a little bit. Now that you're upgrading I the light equipment. You don't want to lose all that hard earned gig setup / breakdown muscle you've built over the years
Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkboss View Post
Just keep the receipt just in case you aren't fully satisfied! Also, go to te gym a little bit. Now that you're upgrading I the light equipment. You don't want to lose all that hard earned gig setup / breakdown muscle you've built over the years
Well, my speakers are still pretty bulky (Yamaha A15's), but now they're probably the heaviest things I have to haul. Life is good.