DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 11-30-2012, 10:19 PM

Default Bass pedals and how much they help.

My bass drum has a harsh drum sound. I play the standard Pearl P-900 pedal on my pearl forum bass drum. I often find less recoil with this pedal and that it doesnt feel so comfortable to play ( i usually play barefoot too )
If i adjust its settings to make the beater further away from the drum, its way harder to strike and it hits my foot on the recoil everytime i strike it. On the whole i'd say this pedal is just alright.

I was considering changing to the Pearl Demon Drive, but im not sure how much of a difference it would make. Would it give me a softer/damper sound?
Ive tried it and it feels light while playing but im not sure if it is suitable for every bass drum and whether it sounds different on each bass drum. Or whether its only purpose is to make it easy for drummers to play, and not alter sound.

Is there a very large difference between these pedals? I tried it long ago so i don't remember what its like too well. Any reviews and suggestions would be appreciated.
:) :)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bass pedals and how much they help.

The pedal is just a beater with a foot attached to it with a mechanism. The pedal itself doesn't change how the bass drum sounds because nothing in the mechanism is directly contacting the head.

You have the following options (in order of price):

Re-tune your bass drum.
Re-analyse your technique to work out if anything in the way you play changes the sound. Are you burying the beater or letting it off the head?
Adjust the beater shaft so it strikes in a different part of the head.
Try muffling the bass drum with a pillow or a towel.
Relocate your kit in the room to change the reflections (can have a huge effect).
Change the beater to something softer or harder.
Buy a new bass drum head and re-tune.
Buy both new bass drum heads and re-tune.
Basic sound treatment of the room.
Buy a new house because the room just isn't up to snuff whatever you do.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 PM

I use a DW 5000. LOVE IT! The settings are right out of the box with the exception of the beater and pedal height. I use the hard rubber side on the beater rather than the felt side to get a nice hit on my 26" bass drum. Each bass drum is different and the comfort of playing that pedal will be decided by you. Ya just gotta find that sweet spot. Yes, I've played barefoot and with socks on many times. Once ya get your pedal adjusted, then tune your bass drum accordingly. Whether you play that Pearl pedal, Demon or DW, make them work for you as best as you can.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
The pedal is just a beater with a foot attached to it with a mechanism. The pedal itself doesn't change how the bass drum sounds because nothing in the mechanism is directly contacting the head.
+1
The only way the pedal would change sound is with a direct drive it's lighter and is usually quieter being a direct (some people have issues with it I never have). The beater material (felt, wood, plastic, etc) can change sound and feel (in my opinion anyway). But in no way fix a miss-tuned bass drum. The problem isn't the pedal it's the tuning.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post

You have the following options (in order of price):

Re-tune your bass drum.
Re-analyse your technique to work out if anything in the way you play changes the sound. Are you burying the beater or letting it off the head?
Adjust the beater shaft so it strikes in a different part of the head.
Try muffling the bass drum with a pillow or a towel.
Relocate your kit in the room to change the reflections (can have a huge effect).
Change the beater to something softer or harder.
Buy a new bass drum head and re-tune.
Buy both new bass drum heads and re-tune.
Basic sound treatment of the room.
Buy a new house because the room just isn't up to snuff whatever you do.
This^^^^......

Everything BFY suggested is worth a try, a pedal is a pedal, the "sound" doesn't come from the pedal, but from the bass drum, the tuning, the heads, the beater, the room, the acoustics of your surrounding and more importantly, it comes from you, the player, the technique you use and your ability to control the sound you want, the "miracle" pedal doesn't exist, however, you can put all the chances on your side by checking all the "settings", and it doesn't apply just to the pedal, it's a whole concept, I did a thread about those "settings" a little while ago, check it out, it might be of some help.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=93800

Good luck :)
Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAndJuliet View Post
My bass drum has a harsh drum sound.

Would it give me a softer/damper sound?
Switching the pedal, no. Switching the beater, yes. Pictured, the Vater Vintage Bomber.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2012, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

I went from a chain driven sound percussion to a demon drive to a DW 5000 and ended with my favorite of the bunch. A......Pearl 900.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:12 AM

Try to tweak more w/ the pedal to get your comfort zone , take your time
If that didn't help , change your pedal drive [chain , direct , strap] you might get the feel that you wanted

And about the sound its not the pedals fault , you need to tune your bass drum better thats all