DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Default Double pedal (dw2002) & HQ kick practice pad mod

Just wanted to share my double pedal practice setup - the one I'm using almost daily and mostly for several hours a day (while being/working at the PC). As I'm working at home this setup is ideal to practice foot technique (while doing other stuff, too).

Pics 1-2: regular setup/when stowed away.

Pics 3-4: that HQ RealFeel kick practice pad (w/ extra foam) with a towel on top (using a few clips to keep it in place so the towel wouldn't come off due to the beater vibrations).

Pics 5-6: After using that double pedal for more than 1.5 years I decided to do some modding - flexing off those studs at the butt end which were annoying esp. when practicing swivel motion. Plus (again, to make the pedal smoother for swivel motion) flexing down those outer linings and the DW & model logo down a bit to get it flatter and make it feel smoother (using a power tool with a flexing disk, then some sandpaper and polish afterwards to get it niche and shiny). I needed some time to adjust to the 'slippery' feel but it feels great now.
Additional mod: I've marked the initial hole the chain was attached to with a green dot but switched the chain to the next dot in order to get a flatter footplate angle. I figured this would help me with the flatfoot position and for playing heel up in general. It worked, I like the flatter footboard angle a lot.
(Initially I tried shifting the chain by 2 holes but as a result, the footplate was having contact with the chassis because the angle was too flat - that's not what the manufacturer had in mind. There's a workaround - removing 1 chain element but I decided not to do so.)

Pics 7-9: The HQ RealFeel kick practice pad came with some (replacable) rubber but 1) I didn't like the harsh sound of it, and 2) that rubber developed some cracks pretty quickly and I didn't want to keep buying replacement rubber parts. So I decided to attach some extra foam on top of the stock rubber. Some additional material also helps getting the beaters more into a vertical position when striking that foam area. I used some tape to attach those extra foam layers and put a towel on top - for nicer playing feel and smoother sound.

Pics 10-11: The extra foam I used was used as cushion for a piece of furniture. That material is pretty sturdy, I'm using it for various purposes. I also have some foam pieces under the carpet beneath the area where the pedals are placed to reduce vibrations.

That's it - just wanted to share this info. Might inspire somebody to experiment a bit and optimize their practice setup. This setup works great for me.

Here's what it sounds like with that extra foam & blanket/towel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnGNok9SHsM
Attached Images

Last edited by Arky; 11-14-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Double pedal (dw2002) & HQ kick practice pad mod

Interesting setup - and it looks real handy.

Is it true, like you say in this thread: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ighlight=speed

that you're a guitar player, and have been focusing mostly on the double bass pedal when it comes to drums?

If so, that's a pretty unique approach.

About the setup - how do you like the 2000's? And have you compared feel to other brands and types in stores.
I've been trying lots of pedals lately, and thinking that some of it is getting them set up so they respond well for you, and then spending lots of quality time with them.
Of course, some will feel better right off the bat. And not necessarily the more expensive ones either.

How quiet is that foam? Is it more soft than hard, and does it absorb a lot of the impact.

I've got my double pedal set up to work with a Yamaha electronic kick pad. It's quiet enough to use at night, and firm enough that I get a good bounce back from it. I could make it even more quiet by covering it with something, but I think if it's too soft, it would make it a lot more difficult to use.

I doubt I'd ever use doubles seriously, but they sure are fun to goof around with.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Well I'm a guitar player who has neglected playing the guitar from the moment I got into drums, haha.
I took up double pedal playing from the start because I thought that would be the quickest way to learn it. Not because I needed it but because I'm intrigued by the challenge to achieve high speed - to know how it feels to play fast. Sounds stupid? It probably is. As a side effect you get more headroom. Another reason why I'm practicing feet a lot is that it's better to utilize one's feet than have them idle. Stupid me - I could/should have taken up foot practice years ago! I mean, even if I considered double bass chops unnecessary and crap - should I not practice my feet when I have the opportunity to do so? So that's why I'm investing a good deal of time into footwork. And I need more control. The speed is fine but that isn't enough.

I think I'm a fast guitarist but I'm out of shape most of the time. I need to play a few hours to feel good on the (electric) guitar. Same with acoustic which I'm playing far more than my electrics recently.

I'm practicing on a double pedal simply because I have the opportunity to do so/a lot of time as I'm working at home and sit at the PC for hours. I could practice like 6 hours on most days but usually don't exceed 4 hours because I can't focus that long to get something productive out of it. Part of the time my feet are in auto pilot mode. I do have to concentrate harder for more challenging stuff (that is, for a close to beginner).

That foam isn't too quiet. It's harder than you might think but there's that towel on top of the foam. I could use different/softer foam for less playing volume. I wouldn't use it in the late evening or at night, it's not quiet enough to do so.

I'm glad I did those mods on the dw2002 pedal - the footplate reads it's the 2000 series but according to the shop where I bought it it's a 2002 model. I find that longboard like feel very comfy and the lower friction on the pedalboard is better for the swivel motion.

I just came back from a Jojo Mayer clinic (Sonor Perfect Balance pedal tour)... with one of those pedals. Going to explore the feel of this pedal and try to apply what I've learned so far to it tomorrow.

I have very limited experience with other pedals - I tried a few but briefly. I'm aware that some pedals might take some time to really get used to, and there's also that notion that it's best to find a pedal that works out of the box. I bought that dw2002 because it was a good offer. Plus I like the beaters to be on the heavy side. If I can get along with them/with a cheapo pedal chances are I can get better results than that on a 'better' pedal. I'm on the waiting list for a VIP pedal (Swedish make, longboard/double pedal version) - I'll buy that one withouth having tested it beforehand.

That VIP double pedal is going to be an upgrade to a 'fancy'/decent pedal. The Perfect Pedal comes in handy as a single pedal to learn to get along with a single pedal. Plus the balanced action of that makes it ideal to (try to) learn those techniques Jojo is using.

Last edited by Arky; 11-29-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Ha ha - just looked for vip percussion and this came up: http://www.derekroddy.com/forum/view...p?f=25&t=20597

Very futuristic looking pedal - sleek, with nice machining.

Tried the Jojo pedal, and while it seems to be extremely smooth, for some reason it didn't 'click' enough with me to make me buy it.
That's why there's different pedals, I guess. Just have to try them out till you find one that 'fits'.