DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 AM

Default DW vs. PDP vs. New Gibraltar Rack T-leg Clamps

Now that I've acquired several of the new Stealth style chrome clamps, I want to swap out all my black clamps because I like how the chrome looks on my brushed steel rack. I also like the fact that the new clamps are sleeker with rounded edges, and are lighter. I have about $800 worth of clamps, which is a lot of clamps, so the lesser weight of the new clamps would definitely lighten my load.

While it would be nice to get the new Gibraltar chrome t-leg clamps, the one place I don't want to compromise strength is at the t-leg joints because of one of the configurations I run with on my rack. Has anyone seen the new Gibraltar Stealth-style t-leg clamps in person? If so, here's what I'd like to know:

Are they just as strong as the older clamshell ones? I mean, will they handle as much leveraged weight as the older ones?

For example, I have 48" uprights to which I have 3 rack toms mounted on a 48" curved cross bar. I have wings on both sides, and while on my left a 30" wing is supported by a leg-less hi-hat, the 24" right wing is unspported. I "fly" a 16" crash and mic boom directly from that side's upright, and a 20" ride and an 18" China are mounted on that right wing. Being that this wing is not vertically supported, I assume there is quite a bit of torque from that leveraged weight which is supported fine by the older clamshell t-leg clamp I currently have. Will the new clamp still support that same weight? To give me another perspective on their strength, would you say they are bigger and stronger than the standard SC-GCRA right angle clamps? I also wonder if the DWs would be stronger than the new Gibraltar ones, because one of the things about the new Gibraltars is that they are sleeker and lighter, which might mean "not as strong".

The new Gibraltar clamp is also described as a "quick-release", yet requires a drumkey on both the leg and vertical tube sides. Since I gig quite often, I would much prefer to NOT have to use a drum key on the vertical tubes (DW's t-leg uses a t-handle). Do you think some t-handle screws or wing screws could be substituted for the drum key screw on the vertical side? Do you think I might be able to find something like that at a hardware store?

Also, based on the design of the new Gibraltar t-leg clamps, it looks like I could use just one memory lock the bottom, as opposed to the older clamshell style that absolutely required two memory locks to keep it in position when you remove the vertical upright. Do I assume correctly?

Does anyone know how far the tubes insert into the new Gibraltar clamps? It looks to me like they insert into the older clamshell about 1.75 inches, and into the DWs about 2 inches.

I would go DW/PDP if I have to, at least to maintain the all metal color scheme. But, I need to know if the DW/PDP clamps are as strong as the clamshell style Gibraltar ones. For that matter, I am also wondering if both the new Gibraltar and DW/PDP clamps are already weaker by virtue of them both uitilizing a hinged design. Any thoughts on that?

I also would like to know if the DW and PDP clamps have the exact same finish. Or, is one more polished than the other?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide. ;-)
Old 09-27-2012, 06:31 AM

Default Re: DW vs. PDP vs. New Gibraltar Rack T-leg Clamps

I just got the new Gibraltar t-leg clamp and I am so disapointed there is no T-handle for the vertical bar. The clamp itself is as sturdy as the old model and yes, you can lock it by 2 memory locks on the leg tube. I hope I will get somewhere some wing screw to replace the drum key screw on it.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:06 PM

Yes, I, too, ended up ordering some way back when I started this thread. Turned out there was a "mixup at the factory", according to a production manager at Gibraltar. They told me back then that the problem would be corrected, and they would indeed be tooling for the T-handles in the pics. There was no way I was going to wait that long especially since I had already sold my older black clamshell designed t-leg clamps. So, what I did was get some DW t-leg clamps, and returned the Stealth clamps.

That was months ago, so I wonder if you got stuck with old stock after they re-tooled? If I were you, I would contact Gibraltar and see what the status is. If they did in fact re-tool, and have new stock, they would likely swap them out for you. Keep us posted.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:52 AM

Yes, I contacted Gibraltar immediately about this issue. Second day I got mail from Brent Barnett. He says the problem has been corrected and they will get corrected it for me. It may takes some time as I live in Europe, but I am looking forward what happens.

Last edited by rest; 09-29-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:33 PM

So Brent Barnett is the man! He took care of me and sent me clamps with T-handle screws. It is a great smart engineered product, far better than standard leg IMHO. Now I am totally satisfied.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Gold Member

Unsure who DW gets it hardware from but some of the PDP hardware comes form the same company that supplies Gibraltar, Dixon, Worldmax, Cannon, and some Ludwig. There are a few drum companies that make their own hardware the rest buy it from someone else and there are only a couple manufactures to get it from.