DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

Default Powered PA speakers for kick drum live

Anyone currently using something like a Mackie Thump 15, Kempton Audio, Beheringer, etc for projecting their kick drum during live gigs? The PA system that my one guitarist brings, we only run the vocals through it since it's not the greatest PA and last time we ran my kick through it, it muddled up all the vocals.

Don't ask me to tell the guitarist to get a new PA - it's not going to happen anytime soon LOL. But I would be interested in a powered speaker to give my kick some ooomph during the gigs. I'm not really intereted in a mixer + passive speaker setup, I'd like to keep the gear toting and setup to a minimum.

The locations I play are generally mid-size bars and clubs, nothing huge. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Powered PA speakers for kick drum live

Anyone currently using something like a Mackie Thump 15, Kempton Audio, Beheringer, etc for projecting their kick drum during live gigs?

These powered speakers aren't going to be worth your while, they simply don't have enough power to do what you want to do.

A 15" MACKIE powered sub will barely make a dent in loud situations, it'll help... but it won't make you nod your head when the band is playing. Low frequencies take a lot of power to amplify.

If you do end up using an (low powered-500-800 watt) sub, its best to put it at least 8' away from you. Don't think by using it as a drink table next to your HH its going to be louder/easier to hear.

Since onstage you're competing w/bass guitar frequencies, usually a good bass rig will have no problem destroying your kick drum (even if using a small sub) due to the nature of the sustain between the two. Bass guitars have longer sustaining notes (and more of them), so an under powered kick drum doesn't stand a chance.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 AM

You would wind up looking for a whole new PA. My guess is the PA he has is just enough for vocals, guitar players are way too loud to bother being mic'd, as goes for the bass player. I was in a band with a PA like this once upon a time.

You have 3 basic options:
  1. Keep going as is. Its easy and cheap
  2. buy the PA gear yourself and take charge of the situation
  3. start playing clubs with house PA

I have done a combo of 2 and 3. When we can get gigs with house sound and PA that is the best! When that doesn't work out, I have built a quality rig that will handle crowds around 300 people indoors. Its not cheap at all. Not even a little. If you want guidance on that I can help but its big cash and a big pain in the a$$ to set up.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not really intereted in a mixer + passive speaker setup, I'd like to keep the gear toting and setup to a minimum.

Get an XLR to 1/4" adaptor, plug your kick into the bass players amp at sound check/rehearsal... you may be surprised.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2012, 11:55 PM

I had the same problem when the the last keyboard player left.( I used to mic the bass drum through his system).
Now I use an Alto TSSUB18 Active PA Subwoofer(600/1200w) +mixer; works well in small/medium size rooms.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:17 AM
Silver Member

I also run my own mixer and sub for live gigs. I use a soundkick and an SM57 for my snare, and for bigger gigs overhead compressors.

I run the snare and overheads through the front end and the kick through my own sub that is out in front. At bigger gigs the bass will also run through my mixer into the sub.

I think all in all it may be a grand worth of gear, but the difference is definitely noticeable and well worth the price. Learning to mix your own sound is as important as learning to tune your drums. Not understanding either one will result in you not sounding your best.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:13 AM
Silver Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll look into Drumquest and Eclipse's solutions - I think that sounds best. 95% of the bars we play, there is no house PA system.

I've tried plugging into the bass player's amp - sounded too muddy the way he likes to have his rig setup.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNealy View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll look into Drumquest and Eclipse's solutions - I think that sounds best. 95% of the bars we play, there is no house PA system.

I've tried plugging into the bass player's amp - sounded too muddy the way he likes to have his rig setup.
Yes, a bass amp is the wrong type of amplifier to use if you need some attack, medium high frequencies or articulation to your sound. A bass amp rolls off much of the high frequency content of the audio causing much of the muddiness that you experienced.

Dennis
Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Makes sense, you wouldn't plug your kick mic into a channel on the board that's EQ'd for a bass guitar either, would make the same amount of sense.

Bass amps make nice kick monitors, they can usually handle small to medium situations.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

I'm still experimenting with using a powered speaker(s) for playing out with a Korg Wavedrum and a Roland SPD-S. this is different from when I'm playing an acoustic kit. I'm not going for a drum set replacement scenario.

One thing that may work is to use a small. unpowered mixer with a powered speaker and then send an aux signal to the regular PA as well. That's still not going to be as effective as a full blown proper P.A. but may be enough to improve the situation. You can also EQ/process each signal differently going for body on the speaker and attack and higher end on the aux/PA signal.

Heck, most gigs I do the room isn't big enough to mike the bass drum. I'm thinking of carrying a simple inexpensive mike just to hook into smaller PA's for presence when we go over the line volume wise and I need to get the kick sound out there more.

I think we need to manage our expectations and make sure we aren't looking for the same result as a much bigger setup would give us.

Jim

Jim Martin Music