DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-27-2012, 12:15 AM

Default Ahead Armor Case or Mono M80?

I'm actually just re-posting this one. I posted a similar thread earlier but in the Cymbals section, so...yeah.

Anyway, I'm looking to invest in a flight-worthy case/bag for my snare drum, and maybe cymbals too. I may have opportunities to play abroad next year, and I want to bring my snare drum with me. Originally, I was thinking of getting an SKB case, but the 14x6.5 case I checked look pretty heavy and bulky, and I think I'd like to keep a few extra pounds for other baggage. Thus, the Ahead Armor and the Mono M80.

I've looked at reviews and talked to people about both these items, and I haven't read or heard a single bad thing about either of them. The Ahead case seems to make storing the drums a lot more convenient, is cheaper, and looks pretty tough. But I've seen a guy (accidentally) drop a Mono case with a bass guitar inside from a height of three or four feet. The bass didn't have a scratch and was still perfectly in tune. I know people who tour internationally with Mono cases for their guitars. They're a bit more expensive, but then their case can accommodate snare drums of different depths and diameters.

So which one do you think I should get?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Ahead Armor Case or Mono M80?

The Ahead Armor Case is quite thick and provides adequate protection (for a soft case that is). I don't have a problem with softcases if I'm carrying my own gear or I trust the people helping me (watch the guitar players). Now I would never experiment dropping them from any height. Should be fine if you are carrying on.

I'd have to go hard cases if the airline will be placing it in the cargo bin.
I only use hard cases for my snares anyways since they're more expensive than the drums I gig with. My toms and BD are in the Ahead cases.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 PM

Soft cases are definitely not advisable for cargo bins, right?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:27 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsusMagnus View Post

Me personally absolutely not! Luggage/baggage is not exactly what you call gently handled by airport personnel.

Guess the question is how much is your snare and cymbals worth compared to the "extra luggage" you want to take?

I'd probably also be looking for a case that locks with a key or combination, not just the usual buckle. Not like a cymbal case or snare case is hard to guess what's inside. Plus make sure you have any musical items you take with you insured by your insurance company and make sure that they will be covered if outside wherever you live for damage, loss or theft.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 AM

Okay, so I guess I should do everything I can to get my snare in as carry on luggage. Failing that, a hard case. I've got a 14"x5.5" and a 14"x6.5" snare, neither of which I plan to bring at the same time on any one flight. I'm thinking a 14"x6.5" SKB snare drum case, but that might be too large for my other snare. It might flop around inside and wound up getting damaged. What are your suggestions?
Old 10-30-2012, 02:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Okay, so I guess I should do everything I can to get my snare in as carry on luggage. Failing that, a hard case. I've got a 14"x5.5" and a 14"x6.5" snare, neither of which I plan to bring at the same time on any one flight. I'm thinking a 14"x6.5" SKB snare drum case, but that might be too large for my other snare. It might flop around inside and wound up getting damaged. What are your suggestions?
You can always get some foam or heck even use a blanket to take up the extra space in the snare case to keep the smaller depth snare from moving around. I say if you aren't planning on taking both at the same time get one to fit the 6.5"
Old 10-30-2012, 06:26 PM

That's a great idea. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:35 PM

I can still bring my snare in as carry on even with the SKB case, right? Or would it be too bulky?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I can still bring my snare in as carry on even with the SKB case, right? Or would it be too bulky?
Call the airline to get dimensions of the overhead compartment. And do go with the 6.5 size SKB so the 6.5 snare will be protected in the future. Stuff the 5.5 with a towel or foam or something.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I wouldn't try it, but that's just me.

I just picked up a set of the Ahead Armor Cases for my drums, and they're pretty nice! They seem to be made slightly better than the Protection Racket version, of which I have one.

But I don't think I'd put them in cargo. Carry-on is one thing, since you can be a little selective of where it goes, but not with check-in.

But I gotta say, those Ahead bags are pretty great, and make packing and moving a lot easier. Great alternative to plastic cases for light work and travel.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Call the airline to get dimensions of the overhead compartment. And do go with the 6.5 size SKB so the 6.5 snare will be protected in the future. Stuff the 5.5 with a towel or foam or something.
I just realized my snare is actually 6" deep. It's an Ahead snare. Do you still recommend the 6.5" case of SKB, or can I just get the 5.5" case? I think they make 2" allowances for their drum cases.

What about cymbals? Is there any way I can get them in as carry-on if they're in a hard case? Getting off the plane with hard cases for both my snare and cymbals might just take a miracle, but what the heck.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I just realized my snare is actually 6" deep. It's an Ahead snare. Do you still recommend the 6.5" case of SKB, or can I just get the 5.5" case? I think they make 2" allowances for their drum cases.

What about cymbals? Is there any way I can get them in as carry-on if they're in a hard case? Getting off the plane with hard cases for both my snare and cymbals might just take a miracle, but what the heck.
I thought you said you had two different depth snares?

as for the cymbal case, yeah you won't get that on the plane as carry on. Too big and won't fit an overhead compartment. You're snare case might even be pushing it.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:09 AM

Yeah. One's a 5.5", and the other one's a 6". I thought the latter was a 6.5". Sorry.

I better call them airlines. The SKB cases will survive the cargo holds, right?