DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Hurricane Susan

Last news I heard was that the National Weather Center was downgrading this thing from a Hurricane to a tropical depression once it hits land. We will see. Updates on the hour. Yes I know I have a face for the radio. Right hand on ear like old radio dudes.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Decided to assemble my 76 WMP Luds that I got last Christmas. Got the kick and floor tom done. God do I love a 24" kick. Still have power. Still not quite here yet.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 AM
Silver Member

Pretty unimpressed with what we've seen thus far. Medium rain, 30 mph winds. Keep checking in...
Old 10-30-2012, 01:51 AM
Administrator

As of 7:10 Eastern time, Sandy is no longer a hurricane but will still cause major damage. CBS news.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:02 AM
"Uncle Larry"

8PM Eastern Standard time I lost power. I expect at least 4 days without power, due to sheer overload on the utility part of things. Generator running, internet unaffected, trees holding, so far, as good as can be expected.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:47 AM
Senior Consultant

Manhattan got hammered. Water running down the streets. Lower Manhattan lost power. NYU Medical Center evacuated due to loss of backup power.

Hardly any rain but over 2 feet higher storm surges than the previous high set in 1821. The ocean just came roaring in and flooded tunnels, subways etc.

My home and business are safe and sound for now.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Renegade

Huge storm ... http://www.smh.com.au/environment/we...030-28ghg.html

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
My home and business are safe and sound for now.
Good news Jeff :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
8PM Eastern Standard time I lost power. I expect at least 4 days without power, due to sheer overload on the utility part of things. Generator running, internet unaffected, trees holding, so far, as good as can be expected.
Also good to hear Larry.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

Power went out a few times last night but ultimately stayed on. Surveyed the damage this morning and there appears to be no serious casualties. I haven't been following the news that much but it sounds like the storm jogged north a bit and hit Jersey instead of DC?
Old 10-30-2012, 02:41 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I barely got any rain, some, not torrential by any stretch, pretty gusty winds though. It's not even rainy or windy here now, just chilly. Power continues to be out 13 hours after losing it, 1 broken branch that is laying across the utility wires in my yard, but the wires aren't touching. One tree went over in the woods behind my house, other trees are propping it up, poses no threat even if it fell. I got spared. I thought it was gonna be like Dorothy in Kansas from what they were telling me. The storm was bad for New Jersey.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Got pounded with rain and wind all night but amazingly didn't lose power in my neighborhood, though many thousands in my town did. Many people on my street has collateral damage from trees falling and wind blowing pieces of houses off so I consider myself lucky.

Not much sleep from all the noise but happy as a clam that I'm in a much better shape than most.

Hope I'm wrong but I'm willing to bet Anthony (Gvd) got hit much harder.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Guys, I'm happy to hear you're all well and coping so far, it's a relief :)
Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 AM

I hope you guys are doing well so far.

The news articles and flashes about the hurricane have been kinda extreme so far.
I don't know how they do it in the States, but here in Sweden a lot of newspapers tend to write pretty extreme and "scary" headlines. Today the headline about the hurricane is "THEY DIED IN THE STORM" and yesterday it was "PEOPLE WILL DIE!"

Some article said that the americans are yet to connect the hurricane to global warming and such. Have there been any talk about global warming, or carbondioxide, or discussions about how we destroy our planet? A journalist wrote that after this hopefully the Americans will "understand" what we're doing to mother Earth. Have the press connected the disaster to global warming yet?

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60

Last edited by Swexx; 11-08-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Renegade

Great that the effects are more limited than the media suggested!

After the Italian verdict you wonder if disaster experts will ever dare say "Is is safe" again. Seems to me that we'll get a "boy who cried wolf" effect. I'm wondering if they have any adjectives left to warn of a disaster of the sale of the Boxing Day tsunami.

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

I'm hoping that Anthony & Steve chime in to say they're ok.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
A journalist wrote that after this hopefully the americans will understand what we're doing to mother Earth (and take bigger responsibility for it). Have the press connected the disaster to global warming yet?
Absolutely not. Not even a single word. Amazing. You make a good point. I recall recently that the owner of a popular cable tv channel called The Weather Channel came out against the global warming theory. So their channel won't even mention it. It is so ridiculously political. Dumb. Stupid. Oil companies own the politicians so it seems like nothing will ever be done. We pray for the vicitms of the hurricane of course, but let's discuss why. Frustrating.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Administrator

This articl;e was from yesterday. There has been discussion for some time,

WASHINGTON — Climate scientist Michael Oppenheimer stood along the Hudson River and watched his research come to life as Hurricane Sandy blew through New York.

Just eight months earlier, the Princeton University professor reported that what used to be once-in-a-century devastating floods in New York City would soon happen every three to 20 years. He blamed global warming for pushing up sea levels and changing hurricane patterns.

New York "is now highly vulnerable to extreme hurricane-surge flooding," he wrote.

For more than a dozen years, Oppenheimer and other climate scientists have been warning about the risk for big storms and serious flooding in New York. A 2000 federal report about global warming's effect on the United States warned specifically of that possibility.

Still, they say it's unfair to blame climate change for Sandy and the destruction it left behind. They cautioned that they cannot yet conclusively link a single storm to global warming, and any connection is not as clear and simple as environmental activists might contend.

"The ingredients of this storm seem a little bit cooked by climate change, but the overall storm is difficult to attribute to global warming," Canada's University of Victoria climate scientist Andrew Weaver said.

Some individual parts of Sandy and its wrath seem to be influenced by climate change, several climate scientists said.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Scientists in denial. Really nothing on the national news, television networks. Endless hours of titillating coverage and nothing at all. Really sad. They just chalk it up to "it's natural." Climate change isn't meaningfully discussed. Presidential candidates ignore it. Why? Follow the money. While towns are wiped out politicians can rest easy knowing that the oil companies who bankroll their campaigns will always be there as long as they keep delaying and delaying meaningful discussion and action concerning global warming. They can be "inconclusive" forever and just let our grandkids deal with it. Pathetic.

Now back to drumming.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Global warming and its effects and causes will be debated for ever. For every study that says man is to blame, there are three to say it is natural and vice versa. In this election year no one wants to touch this with a ten foot pole.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

DC dodged a bullet. New Jersey, I hope you get better real soon.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Renegade

My understanding is that frequency and severity of cyclones / hurricanes are affected by more factors than anticipated and the projections didn't work out, which is incredibly good news (touch wood).

The bad news is that projections about storm surges are proving to be correct, which means more flooding associated with storms.

Soundcloud stream
Old 11-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

The news articles and flashes about the hurricane have been kinda extreme so far.
I don't know how they do it in the States, but here in Sweden a lot of newspapers tend to write pretty extreme and "scary" headlines. Today the headline about the hurricane is "THEY DIED IN THE STORM" and yesterday it was "PEOPLE WILL DIE!"

Some article said that the americans are yet to connect the hurricane to global warming and such. Have there been any talk about global warming, or carbondioxide, or discussions about how we destroy our planet? A journalist wrote that after this hopefully the americans will understand what we're doing to mother Earth (and take bigger responsibility for it). Have the press connected the disaster to global warming yet?

Never. We are capitalist pigs. In fact, if the Republicans had their way, we wouldn't even have a FEMA to "help" people. This agency was put into place by President Jimmy Carter, FYI (who, btw, was the president that legalized home brewing).
Old 11-01-2012, 02:58 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Still no power. All my neighbors are on but myself and 2 others on my cul de sac. I think my transformer's circuit breaker needs to be reset, as I saw flashes before it went out. Wishing I had a hot stick so I could do it myself. Will try and secure one for future issues. My generator starter motor is not cooperating and the manual pull cord broke a while ago. Takes about a 1/2 hour to start my generator. Ugh. On top of that, my wife is a pain in the ass during a crisis. Everything is wrong and I am to blame it seems. Please PECO turn my power back on!
Old 11-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Still no power. All my neighbors are on but myself and 2 others on my cul de sac. I think my transformer's circuit breaker needs to be reset, as I saw flashes before it went out. Wishing I had a hot stick so I could do it myself. Will try and secure one for future issues. My generator starter motor is not cooperating and the manual pull cord broke a while ago. Takes about a 1/2 hour to start my generator. Ugh. On top of that, my wife is a pain in the ass during a crisis. Everything is wrong and I am to blame it seems. Please PECO turn my power back on!
Haha! You're an electrician right? Climb that transformer! Sorry to hear you're still without power. I know it's getting colder too.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Everything is wrong and I am to blame it seems.
Of course ;) Why did you expect anything else?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:43 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Yea, I'm an electrician. Can't really get my body up near the transformer, have to get past the energized wires first, too dangerous. They reset the breakers on pole mounted transformers from the ground with a big telescoping stick with a hook on the end, the hotstick. Maybe if I cast a 100 lb test fishing line up there and try and hook it....
Old 11-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yea, I'm an electrician. Can't really get my body up near the transformer, have to get past the energized wires first, too dangerous. They reset the breakers on pole mounted transformers from the ground with a big telescoping stick with a hook on the end, the hotstick. Maybe if I cast a 100 lb test fishing line up there and try and hook it....
Try some DW lugs larry, they should be good for earthing most of your town ;)
Old 11-01-2012, 03:54 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Of course ;) Why did you expect anything else?
Let's see she can't sleep because she needs the sound of a fan to sleep (generator is off while we sleep). The smell of the exhaust from the generator is making her sick. Even though I shut it off at night. And it's outside. She was sick all day at work, exaggerated. She comes home from work yesterday, first thing she says, very accusingly, how come the generator is on when the power is back on? (Our neighbors power was restored, I knew this, ours was still off) Nice to see you too babe. I'm not shutting this thing off until I know we are back on because it doesn't like to start up too easily. Washing my hair in ice cold water this morning...after struggling with the generator for a half hour...so she could have power to get ready for work... Hey, watch it, you're dripping water on my clothes...I'm trying very hard to be nice. She has it hard enough.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Got a heavy fishing rod, Larry? A fibreglass one without any metal fittings?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Everything is wrong and I am to blame it seems.
I know her.....in fact, I think I married her sister! :-)

Still no word from Steve, I notice. I hope it's just power and not a house he's lost. The NY/NJ damage, especially the fires in Queens, was pretty extreme. I don't envy the clean up.

Stay strong north east coasters!!

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 11-02-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post

Still no word from Steve, I notice. I hope it's just power and not a house he's lost. The NY/NJ damage, especially the fires in Queens, was pretty extreme. I don't envy the clean up.

Stay strong north east coasters!!
Yes, both Steve & Anthony are still conspicuous by their absence. I hope you two guys are ok!

Larry, can "she who shall be obeyed" still smell the exhaust from the generator? I mean, considering it's outside, & 24 hours since it was switched off, God help you if you ever brush too close to another woman who's used perfume in the last month ;)

I'm safe from all blame for at least a week. I bought a new Welsh terrier puppy to partner our existing dog.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 AM
Renegade

That's a point, Jules. He's an ex cop and pretty sharp so my money's on a power outage and or water damage.

Larry and Jules, I used to go out with you're wives' brother. Somehow I kept doing things wrong which were never explained - I'd just get the silent treatment.

Sometimes I love being single :)

Soundcloud stream
Old 11-02-2012, 02:09 AM
Platinum Member

I'm praying for those guys. Just saw tv coverage of Staten Island, New York and it's pretty devastating.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

I love the puppy Andy!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
That would make us brother in laws!

Quote:

Larry, can "she who shall be obeyed" still smell the exhaust from the generator? I mean, considering it's outside, & 24 hours since it was switched off, God help you if you ever brush too close to another woman who's used perfume in the last month ;)
Bloodhounds come to her for tips on how to detect odor better. Trying to hide anything? That would be just plain rediculous-ness lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post

Larry and Jules, I used to go out with you're wives' brother.
That would make you....some chick our wives brothers boned lol. Hey close enough to kin for me!

Steve is too smart to not survive this, and Anthony is just too ornery to let some weather beat him.

And Andy those dogs look so....English to me. They probably bark with an English accent, are overly polite, and have tea at 4. Are their names Origin and Performance?

I still have at least 3 days I'm told before power is restored. Hope my generator can start about 6 more times.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, both Steve & Anthony are still conspicuous by their absence.
A search party has located Anthony here online on Drummerworld as late as today. One down, one to go.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Which one is Steve, again?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

The one and only tamadrm.....the veritable walking encylocpedia of all things vintage and all round good guy......even if he was a copper!! :-)
Old 11-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Which one is Steve, again?
Tamadrm.

Quote:
A search party has located Anthony here online on Drummerworld as late as today. One down, one to go.
That's good to hear. Anthony's not the tallest of guys, so I was concerned about flood levels ;) Imagine the mouse panic if Disney California suffered the same fate ;) ;) ;)

Quote:

That would make you....some chick our wives brothers boned lol.
I nearly spat out my cereal :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I love the puppy Andy!
Quote:
And Andy those dogs look so....English to me. They probably bark with an English accent, are overly polite, and have tea at 4. Are their names Origin and Performance?
Thanks guys :) They're Welsh terriers Larry, so not English, but part of the same lump of rock. My older dog's name is Yogi, the 8 week old is Rufus, but Welsh terriers punch well above their weight, so fit nicely into the Origin vibe :)
Old 11-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
A journalist wrote that after this hopefully the americans will understand what we're doing to mother Earth (and take bigger responsibility for it). Have the press connected the disaster to global warming yet?
"Americans" refers to over a nation of over 300 million individuals. Do you think that perhaps describing 300 million people in one grand judgmental sentence might be a tad bit of oversimplification?

Poor dumb Americans don't understand what we're doing to mother Earth. Please.

As a matter of fact, it is being brought up everywhere as a subject. Certainly amongst all but the most staunch opponents.

But let us be clear here. Driving an electric car or recycling a few plastic bottles is like spitting in the ocean. What these coastal areas need is major engineering projects to proof them against the new reality of storms.