DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 10-12-2012, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Jules, I think Doc is referring to a healthy afterlife as opposed to avoidance. It's a fine balancing act because upstairs the air is too thin and the air downstairs no doubt has too many carcinogenic particulates. Purgatory sounds like the place to be ...
i think your karma's good. you'll prolly end up in a good place.

prolly.

there may be a few whacks across the knuckles with the ruler for certain sins of omission. not sure if the correct number is 9,999 whacks or 1 whack. but then...i'm not in a position to know such things am i ?

: )
Old 10-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Currently looking at a doco about Justin Bieber. Obviously I'm about 40 years too old to get into his music but he really is a highly talented kid and most of what's said about him is BS. who gets way more unjustified insults online than he deserves. It's a shame that he, as a drummer, doesn't demand to have real drums on his recordings.
Lady Gaga is another. She's crazy-talented but she wears the mantle for the average "pop star," when nothing could be further from the truth.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrangefunk View Post
... certain sins of omission. not sure if the correct number is 9,999 whacks or 1 whack. but then...i'm not in a position to know such things am i ?
Not just yet, Doc ... I still think 9,999 was more fun :)P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Lady Gaga is another. She's crazy-talented but she wears the mantle for the average "pop star," when nothing could be further from the truth.
Yep, another songwriter and musician with a real voice under the production.

If they were born in another era, they would have probably been great (to my ear, anyway). It's just that it seems to be compulsory for today's producers to back vocalists with cheap, easy and - this is the kicker - hip drum machine/sequencers.

It makes you wonder, if machines are hipper than people then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnUFVyt1dHQ (you can probably guess the link).

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

This one falls under the Just when you think you know someone category...

The other night I was telling my boyfriend of 10 years that there is a slight possibility of me getting an end of the year bonus for the work I did in the trial. So I was kind of thinking out loud of what I would do with the money and, of course, I told him I would take at least part of it and buy a new kit. Without skipping a beat he looks at me and says.."you could get one of those E-kits and you could practice anytime you wanted".

WHAT?????? (Now keep in mind, we've never had one complaint from neighbors or anyone and I have no trouble finding time to practice.) What kind of blasphemy is this? How dare he....

Then I got to thinking...he is a bass player. What can you expect? :)
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
ditto on both.

the best part about Gaga is that she is an awesome mother to her community. her stage show is better than her records, which are merely meh. her image is that of a wanna-be Madonna, but her stage show has taken Madonna's motherly-ness to a whole 'nother level.

Bieber ? i haven't heard a whole lot, but i like Baby Baby Baby Oooooh. and he can indeed play drums.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes. And the Canadian pronunciation of the letter z sounds like "zed."
So ..all things being equal....the Band Z Z Top now becomes ...Zed Zed Top? I think I need more sleep ...go Giants......go Yanks.:)

Steve B
Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
This one falls under the Just when you think you know someone category...

The other night I was telling my boyfriend of 10 years that there is a slight possibility of me getting an end of the year bonus for the work I did in the trial. So I was kind of thinking out loud of what I would do with the money and, of course, I told him I would take at least part of it and buy a new kit. Without skipping a beat he looks at me and says.."you could get one of those E-kits and you could practice anytime you wanted".

WHAT?????? (Now keep in mind, we've never had one complaint from neighbors or anyone and I have no trouble finding time to practice.) What kind of blasphemy is this? How dare he....

Then I got to thinking...he is a bass player. What can you expect? :)
Bass player telling a drummer she needs practice. That's funny. That's funny right? I mean.....
Old 10-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

It's lovely weather for heating up the smoker. I'm smoking a baddass rack of ribs tonight, baby!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

I really hate people who posts ads selling drum kits on craigslist with no pictures.
Seriously, what's the point?

And I also hate people who post new drum kits with new prices as "used" so that they come up in a search of used drums.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:24 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
So ..all things being equal....the Band Z Z Top now becomes ...Zed Zed Top?
Ah, that's different. Correcting that is like spelling Slade's Goodbuy T'Jane as "Goodbye To Jane". With titles you have to keep the quirky errors :)

Latest development in house fixing ... almost all the carpet (with evil-smelling decomposing underlay) in the house has been ripped out.

When I'm healthy enough to play again I shudder to think of how loud the drums will be. I need mats - lots of mats

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-14-2012, 04:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
So ..all things being equal....the Band Z Z Top now becomes ...Zed Zed Top? I think I need more sleep ...go Giants......go Yanks.:)

Steve B
Nup.

That'd be like the line in Pulp Fiction going something like this:

Girlfriend: Who is Zee?

Bruce Willis; Zee's dead baby.

It just doesn't work either. :-)
Old 10-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

Tigers-Yankees, man. Up, down, up, crazy finish. Hate to see what happened to Jeter, though.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Tigers-Yankees, man. Up, down, up, crazy finish. Hate to see what happened to Jeter, though.
Was like a mini Joe Theisman film replay snippet
Old 10-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ah, that's different. Correcting that is like spelling Slade's Goodbuy T'Jane as "Goodbye To Jane". With titles you have to keep the quirky errors :)

Latest development in house fixing ... almost all the carpet (with evil-smelling decomposing underlay) in the house has been ripped out.

When I'm healthy enough to play again I shudder to think of how loud the drums will be. I need mats - lots of mats
Pol...make sure there's no residual mold in the wood.I f you can afford it,sand and seal the floors with polyurathane,and just use area rugs.

If you need some ideas concerning soundproofing,drummer Mike Johnston has some vids on his youtube channel using inexpensive acoustic foam panel boxes,that he used in his drum room.Very cool stuff.

I hope you're doing well with the smoking.Whenever you get the urge,just go up and down some stairs till it goes away.The cravings usually only last 30-60 seconds,which does feel like an eternity I know.Cheers.:)

Steve B
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was watching the game.I was just stunned.Not Jeter.He's the heart of the Yanks,Mr.clutch...Mr.post season.Thanks for Ibanez....the modern day Buckey Dent.

A-Rod's a zero these days.He should stay on the bench.Girardi's dad died..and he's in the dugout managing his ball club.That takes heart.Maybe A-Rod could learn some of that from the Yanks skipper.

I guess I wouldn't mind seeing the Tigers go to the World Series,but like Yogi said" it ain't over....till It's over":)

Steve B.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Nup.

That'd be like the line in Pulp Fiction going something like this:

Girlfriend: Who is Zee?

Bruce Willis; Zee's dead baby.

It just doesn't work either. :-)
You're right Jules,some things are better left alone.

One of the best movies ever made.Quoteable lines for nearly every situation.The best thing about it was that it only cost ...8.5 million to make.;)

Steve B
Old 10-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

Anybody see that dude jump from space today?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Leaving NY with a 2-0 series lead is good. The Tigers got a break on the (badly) blown call, but the Yankees haven't been able to score.

I fear that this is going to change in Detroit. I think a break from the hometown tensions will relax the Yanks and their bats will awaken at Comerica Park.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaajn View Post
insane. Surpised how quickly he got down after going 24 miles straight up!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaajn View Post
I hadn't heard of this - 24 miles. I would have thought he and the parachute would have burnt up. Must have been the buzz of a lifetime!

Some amazing news stories get missed by a media caught up with local game playing. I only found out today that Scotland may be seceding from the UK.

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I hadn't heard of this - 24 miles. I would have thought he and the parachute would have burnt up. Must have been the buzz of a lifetime!

Some amazing news stories get missed by a media caught up with local game playing. I only found out today that Scotland may be seceding from the UK.
I wonder what William Wallace would say...maybe something like...It's about bloody time.

Staten Island is also again talking about seceding from New York City.They just have to figure out little things like what state to belong to and where to get the money to pay for infrastructure,Police,fire,ems and sanitation.A piece of cake,no worries.

The American Civil War was fought over issues like these.States rights,and NOT slavery was the real reason for the hostilities between The Union and the Confederate states.

Steve B
Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Some amazing news stories get missed by a media caught up with local game playing.
What news do you read/watch/listen to Pol? The Congo Times? :-)
Our supersonic Austrian friend has been saturated in the national press as he plummeted head first towards earth at warp speed. Definitely one very cool party trick.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Grea, the Scottish independence debate has been going on for ages, especially since the SNP took power in Scotland.

My view? If they want self-determination then give it to them.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 PM
nhzoso

Cannot wait for election day....Just so I do not have to see anymore idiotic BS advertising...
Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
What news do you read/watch/listen to Pol? The Congo Times? :-)
Our supersonic Austrian friend has been saturated in the national press as he plummeted head first towards earth at warp speed. Definitely one very cool party trick.
What can I say - the Daily Telegraph is leading with "Schoolkids taught straight isn't norm" with a big picture of what looks like two male hands being held. Apparently a school is battling homophobic bullying and a group of conservative MPs are deeply worried that if we don't consistently beat the living shit our of gay kids from day one then our morals will erode.

No sign of the jumper lol.

The Sydney Morning Herald seems excited about how our soccer team just managed to avoid being eliminated from the World Cup by Iraq. A true backs to the wall win given Iraq's many advantages with their enviable stability and wealth ...

No jumper.

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-17-2012, 02:12 AM
Platinum Member

I accidentally ordered two tubes of cadmium yellow.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
What can I say - the Daily Telegraph is leading with "Schoolkids taught straight isn't norm" with a big picture of what looks like two male hands being held. Apparently a school is battling homophobic bullying and a group of conservative MPs are deeply worried that if we don't consistently beat the living shit our of gay kids from day one then our morals will erode.

No sign of the jumper lol.

The Sydney Morning Herald seems excited about how our soccer team just managed to avoid being eliminated from the World Cup by Iraq. A true backs to the wall win given Iraq's many advantages with their enviable stability and wealth ...

No jumper.
Magnificent !!!

i'm just trying to figure out why the Van Allen Radiation Belt wasn't a problem.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Renegade

Quote:
i'm just trying to figure out why the Van Allen Radiation Belt wasn't a problem.
That's another thing as well as the friction. I would have thought he'd end up as radioactive toast plummeting in flames towards earth. Must be an amazing space suit!

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
That's another thing as well as the friction. I would have thought he'd end up as radioactive toast plummeting in flames towards earth. Must be an amazing space suit!
exactly. agreed.

radioactive toast. that's good. is that your new group ?

can i be in it ?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Renegade

Quote:
radioactive toast. that's good. is that your new group ?

can i be in it ?
You're thinking of Toast Radio :)

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 PM
nhzoso

Had an Earthquake here last night..4.6..shook the whole house and cracked my basement floor and wall..Never been in an earthquake and it is extremely rare here in the Northeast. I know 4.6 is relatively small but when it started I thought a plane was crashing next door..
Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It doesn't have to be particularly heat proof.

Most of the heat that's generated during atmospheric re-entry is as a result of the angle of re-entry and the sheer speed that the craft is travelling at. In this instance, he was jumping from a (relatively) static platform, i.e. straight down. Atmospheric re-entry from a space vehicle is always at an angle that means that they actually have to pass through an awful lot more atmosphere at a higher speed (due to orbit).

It does provoke a question though. Is atmospheric re-entry from low-Earth orbit without a vehicle technically possible? Certainly in many respects it is but heat shielding is the big issue.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Renegade

Dunc, I did read something that you'd burn up if you jumped off a space station because it's orbiting at speed but I guess intuitively I just feel that if you're zooming through the atmosphere you're supposed to burn up like asteroids.

On a more personal note, a couple of days in hospital - tons of tests - and it's all good news! Almost certainly fractured ribs (as opposed to cancers, blood clots, TB, leprosy, alien parasites etc) ... and the emphysema is very early stage and not as big a deal as first intimated (as long as I behave).

But ... I can't play drums for however long it takes fractured ribs to heal while lungs do a post quitting cleanout. So I was doing some primitive practice LH push-pulls on a pad during The Simpsons ...

Homer was forced to be a missionary and at the end of his sermon it was question time. A native sheepishly asks, “But if God is all powerful, why would he care if we worship him or not?”.

Homer replied: “Umm ... because he is not only incredibly powerful, but he’s also insecure ... like, um, Barbra Streisand ...”

My ribs hurt then too!

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Glad things turned out better than expected Polly! Take it easy on those ribs and you may want to refrain from too much Simpsons for a while too ;)
Old 10-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
On a more personal note, a couple of days in hospital - tons of tests - and it's all good news! Almost certainly fractured ribs (as opposed to cancers, blood clots, TB, leprosy, alien parasites etc) ... and the emphysema is very early stage and not as big a deal as first intimated (as long as I behave).
Brilliant news Grea, I'm so glad to hear that all is well...(well you know what I mean :) ...fractured ribs is no fun, fore sure) ... so take it very, very easy, play drums in your head (it's almost as good as playing for real sometimes) ...listen to a lot of music, relax and behave, in a few weeks you'll be ready for a brand new "ambient" track, you could call it "resurrection" or "Grea's Spare Ribs" :)
Old 10-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Great news Grea! I'll just have to make sure not to give you too tight an embrace when you come to the UK.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Dunc, I did read something that you'd burn up if you jumped off a space station because it's orbiting at speed but I guess intuitively I just feel that if you're zooming through the atmosphere you're supposed to burn up like asteroids.

But ... I can't play drums for however long it takes fractured ribs to heal while lungs do a post quitting cleanout. So I was doing some primitive practice LH push-pulls on a pad during The Simpsons ...

Homer was forced to be a missionary and at the end of his sermon it was question time. A native sheepishly asks, “But if God is all powerful, why would he care if we worship him or not?”.

Homer replied: “Umm ... because he is not only incredibly powerful, but he’s also insecure ... like, um, Barbra Streisand ...”

My ribs hurt then too!
Ribs ??????

what did you do to your ribs ?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Renegade

Thanks gal and guys!

Tough call, Mary. It means no daytime soaps either - I love the goofy way the actors vogue to the camera after they say a line. Saw one in the hospital and it hurt.

Henri, the first verse of the Rotten Rib Rap ...

Ribs! You suck! Ribs! You suck!
Every time you break
When I cough I'm an miserable ho
Want it to stop F F S!

Over to you ......

Dunc, by the time I make it to the UK I should be at least theoretically huggable!

Uncle Ghee - this says it more succinctly than I can: http://www.livestrong.com/fractured-rib-from-coughing/

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Renegade

Found an article on the sky diver on the ABC website - 36 kms free fall! Some good quotes:
"It was way harder than I expected," says Baumgartner. Recalling his final words before he stepped into the stratosphere, he says, "Sometimes you have to get up really high to know how small you are."

"You do not feel the air - it's like swimming without touching the water," he says. "It's hard to describe because, I didn't feel it because [I'm] in a pressure suit.
"If you want to judge speed you need reference points, or your suit flapping, and I had none of these points."

Soundcloud stream
Old 10-18-2012, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Found an article on the sky diver on the ABC website - 36 kms free fall! Some good quotes:
"It was way harder than I expected," says Baumgartner. Recalling his final words before he stepped into the stratosphere, he says, "Sometimes you have to get up really high to know how small you are."

"You do not feel the air - it's like swimming without touching the water," he says. "It's hard to describe because, I didn't feel it because [I'm] in a pressure suit.
"If you want to judge speed you need reference points, or your suit flapping, and I had none of these points."
I'd read those quotes too. I was surprised by,

"If you want to judge speed you need reference points"

When plummeting head first towards it at the speed of sound, I would have thought the ever looming ground would be reference enough??