DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #121  
Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 AM
Funky CrÍpe's Avatar
Funky CrÍpe Funky CrÍpe is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cork city soon to be Montreal :)
Posts: 943
Default Re: Elvin Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmejesus View Post
Yeah he's a great drummer, but he sounds just like any other great Jazz drummer.
don't think any other drummer came close to his polyrhythms
__________________
"Pop videos are porn for cowards!"
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 05-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Richard.Awesome Richard.Awesome is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 48
Default Re: Elvin Jones

http://www.drummagazine.com/special/elvin-jones

"Take him out of the history of this music and suddenly you have nobody there to prove that drummers could play in rhythm and out of meter at the same time. You have nobody making the case that the drums could play with rather than behind a soloist. You have nobody pushing way beyond the beat, into texture and dynamic interaction, where drummers once scarcely roamed."
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 05-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Steamer's Avatar
Steamer Steamer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: Elvin Jones

ELVIN...the one and THE only indeed!!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Stan

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 06-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Funky CrÍpe's Avatar
Funky CrÍpe Funky CrÍpe is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cork city soon to be Montreal :)
Posts: 943
Default Re: Elvin Jones

never realis3ed but his ride technique is brilliant. I always thought that he didn't have good technique, but look at that relaxed finger action at 5:35 to 7:10....a great angle for quite a long time! Nice to see great camara work :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw4Hy...eature=related
__________________
"Pop videos are porn for cowards!"
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 07-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Richard.Awesome Richard.Awesome is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 48
Default Re: Elvin Jones

can anyone get me a copy of 'a different drummer' on dvd? or somewhere i can download it?
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 11-16-2010, 12:01 AM
Funky CrÍpe's Avatar
Funky CrÍpe Funky CrÍpe is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cork city soon to be Montreal :)
Posts: 943
Default Re: Elvin Jones

Can anyone recommend albums that are like "heavy sounds" with himself and Richard Davis? Love the sound of "raunchy rita". Any old fusion stuff?
__________________
"Pop videos are porn for cowards!"
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 12-06-2010, 06:24 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,624
Default Re: Elvin Jones

Elvin playing just ridiculously great jazz (sound, no video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvRkGglLe-U

There's a lifetime's worth of study material here. The swing, the way he drives the soloist, the way he LISTENS.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 12-28-2010, 12:04 PM
mattukdrummer mattukdrummer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Default Re: Elvin Jones

Hi,
this is my first reply on here been watching the forum for quite a while and just decided to join. I'm doing a lecture on Elvin Jones, I was wondering if anyone knew what heads he used. I know he used coated ambassadors snare and toms any idea what the bass drum head is maybe ambassador? and what are the reso heads, diplomats/ambassadors?
Also does any one have any concepts that Elvin played with i.e one I picked up was that he would play a phrase on his bass drum and fill in all the triplet gaps with his left hand while playing time.

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Richard.Awesome Richard.Awesome is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA
Posts: 48
Default Re: Elvin Jones

This may help.

Inside the Drumming of Elvin Jones: http://www.drummagazine.com/lessons/...f-elvin-jones/
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 01-12-2011, 10:04 PM
paistemage's Avatar
paistemage paistemage is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: midwest , usa
Posts: 383
Default Re: Elvin Jones

I personally like the album by Larry Young entitled "Unity." But anything Elvin touches is gold. Midas technique when on the throne.
__________________
"If I became parapalegic I would try to use my forehead to drum, or my tongue or nose." - Myself
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 PM
paistemage's Avatar
paistemage paistemage is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: midwest , usa
Posts: 383
Default Re: Elvin Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattukdrummer View Post
Hi,
this is my first reply on here been watching the forum for quite a while and just decided to join. I'm doing a lecture on Elvin Jones, I was wondering if anyone knew what heads he used. I know he used coated ambassadors snare and toms any idea what the bass drum head is maybe ambassador? and what are the reso heads, diplomats/ambassadors?
Also does any one have any concepts that Elvin played with i.e one I picked up was that he would play a phrase on his bass drum and fill in all the triplet gaps with his left hand while playing time.

thanks
Yeah I heard about that concept, and have noticed it.
__________________
"If I became parapalegic I would try to use my forehead to drum, or my tongue or nose." - Myself
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 PM
poppies poppies is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22
Default Re: Elvin Jones

My favorite quote about Elvin:

"Just listen to any drummer before Elvin and any drummer after him!"
- Ron Carter
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 07-22-2012, 11:14 PM
jmck jmck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 53
Default Re: Elvin Jones

i love elvins playing i got to see him only once but it was amazing the sound from his ride was from heaven.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 07-23-2012, 12:53 AM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Elvin Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattukdrummer View Post
Hi,
any idea what the bass drum head is maybe ambassador?


thanks
I understand this post is about 2 years too late .....but here is your answer :)
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 AM
poppies poppies is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22
Default Re: Elvin Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
I understand this post is about 2 years too late .....but here is your answer :)
That's an awesome pic. Man, he tore into his drums.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 10-12-2012, 12:46 PM
dmacc's Avatar
dmacc dmacc is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,375
Default Re: Elvin Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
I understand this post is about 2 years too late .....but here is your answer :)
Just stumbled on this.... Wonderful pic Anthony!

Elvin is / was / and still is one of the most gifted drummers ever. Music is better, drum history is changed because of Elvin - no doubt.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Elvin Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Just stumbled on this.... Wonderful pic Anthony!

Elvin is / was / and still is one of the most gifted drummers ever. Music is better, drum history is changed because of Elvin - no doubt.
absolutely D

we are lucky to have everything he left for us to listen to and pull inspiration from
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 05-06-2014, 01:47 AM
evolving_machine's Avatar
evolving_machine evolving_machine is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Jersey.
Posts: 462
Default Re: Elvin Jones

I did not know which Elvin Jones thread to place this question in, I decided on this one since it discusses a lot of Elvin as a man, and not just his great drumming.

I like purchasing CD's and Records to listen to music. It gives back to the artists a little that way, I feel. Well of course we lost Elvin a few years ago, but his estate would most likely benefit from the purchases.

I purchased Bill Fresell with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones. It is not a bad CD but Elvin does not sound like Elvin on this CD.

I've read a few reviews of this CD online, but other then commenting on Elvin's playing no one gave a reason. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto this and what made Elvin play so different on this CD.
__________________
I am not here just to keep the beat; I add color, timbre, and presence.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 05-06-2014, 04:07 AM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,220
Default Re: Elvin Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving_machine View Post
I did not know which Elvin Jones thread to place this question in, I decided on this one since it discusses a lot of Elvin as a man, and not just his great drumming.

I like purchasing CD's and Records to listen to music. It gives back to the artists a little that way, I feel. Well of course we lost Elvin a few years ago, but his estate would most likely benefit from the purchases.

I purchased Bill Fresell with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones. It is not a bad CD but Elvin does not sound like Elvin on this CD.

I've read a few reviews of this CD online, but other then commenting on Elvin's playing no one gave a reason. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto this and what made Elvin play so different on this CD.
if you listen to the record you can plainly hear that it is almost more of a progressive folk album than a jazz album

I was studying with Elvin during the time this album was recorded in NY and San Francisco ..... he enjoyed it very much... he loved stepping out of what was expected of him and playing what the music asked for .

Elvin said to me many times.... "play music man, just play music... don't play drums, drums are boring,... don't get all drummy play music"

can you imagine Elvin playing on Moon River on that album the way he plays on Resolution ???.... I cannot.... it would have destroyed the personality and integrity of the Bills work... and he knew that

it still sounds 100% Elvin to me .... his groans and growls are there... his intensity is there ....his little flows and tendencies are there...... it's all there just in a different mood

Elvin was a lot of things.... but a one trick pony he was not and this album proves that

fantastic drumming all over that record .... just amazing
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 05-06-2014, 11:23 AM
evolving_machine's Avatar
evolving_machine evolving_machine is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Jersey.
Posts: 462
Default Re: Elvin Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
if you listen to the record you can plainly hear that it is almost more of a progressive folk album than a jazz album

I was studying with Elvin during the time this album was recorded in NY and San Francisco ..... he enjoyed it very much... he loved stepping out of what was expected of him and playing what the music asked for .

Elvin said to me many times.... "play music man, just play music... don't play drums, drums are boring,... don't get all drummy play music"

can you imagine Elvin playing on Moon River on that album the way he plays on Resolution ???.... I cannot.... it would have destroyed the personality and integrity of the Bills work... and he knew that

it still sounds 100% Elvin to me .... his groans and growls are there... his intensity is there ....his little flows and tendencies are there...... it's all there just in a different mood

Elvin was a lot of things.... but a one trick pony he was not and this album proves that

fantastic drumming all over that record .... just amazing
Thank you both Elvin and "WhoIsTony?" for the drumming/ music lesson.
__________________
I am not here just to keep the beat; I add color, timbre, and presence.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com