DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Senior Administrator

Default which mic stand?

lets talk mic stands. i'm sick of the plastic parts breaking. which mic stand makes and models are all metal. which are the toughest. what stand have you loved?
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 PM

Default Re: which mic stand?

AKG/K&M. I have had a bunch of them for years, and they have outlasted any number of cheaper stands (like the On-Stage Stands junk that GC pushes). They are more expensive, but they are also very nearly immortal.

The KM210 can be had for about $70, and is all metal.

You know what I hate on the cheaper stands? I hate it when the threaded mic spud (which on cheaper stands is often just press fit or staked into the hollow boom tube) comes loose, and the spud just spins in the mic clip, making it nigh-unto-impossible to change clips. Argh. I have 3 or 4 cheap mic stands out in the shop that I need to drill and cross-pin to fix that problem, when time permits. The threads on the AKG/K&M stands are cut right into the solid boom rod, so that ain't happenin'. They do need a little brass adaptor to go from the European ~3/8" mic threading to the standard US 5/8"-27, which should be installed onto the stand with a little red Loctite so that it doesn't come adrift...
Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Same here with with AKG and k&m. An older industry standard is Atlas too, but you won't find those at your average music store either, but those are what I want for the big studio condensers.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not sure what brand of mic stand I have but I prefer a round base instead of 3-legged & I have a gooseneck at the top tucks away nicely doesn't. get in the way of my hi-hats or my bass players cabinet...just my 2 cents.

Bonzolead
Old 10-05-2012, 08:43 AM
audiotech

My go to stands are always Atlas. I primarily use the series MS-12, MS-20 and MS-25. They're not cheap, but great heavy duty stands, especially the 20 and 25. I feel very confident placing some of my very expensive microphones on them. I really dislike tripod legs on microphone stands. Most of them are of lighter weight and you also have three legs to trip over. I'll even use bar bell weights to slip over the center column of the stands when using a longer boom arm for more stability as shown in the photograph. Here I'm using MS-20 stands for the overheads and room microphones and MS-12s for my other straight stands.

Another note, I also have stand column couplers that are made by Atlas so I can stack two stands together. This with the addition of a long boom, I can get the stand in the air about 15 to 16 feet which is great for recording orchestras or school bands.

Dennis
Old 10-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Wow awesome drum studio.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

I've always had good luck with the StudioSpares own brand stands. They're not fantastically high-end but they are (or certainly were) all-metal construction and very stable. They're OEM manufactured and as a result very inexpensive. I own a few and I've always recommended them.

If we're in the higher-end there are lots of options. I really like Beyerdynamic stands and used them extensively in a studio in a previous life. For 'home' use, I would highly recommend the StudioSpares stands. Get their catalogue, it's superb.