DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-06-2012, 05:59 PM

Default Heads for Mapex Saturn.

Hi,
I have Mapex Remo Emperor on my mapex Saturn and i want to change it. Which drumheads will be the best for it? I play Rock. I think about Remo Pinstripe vs Evans G2. Clear or coated? Which of these will be the best for Rock?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Heads for Mapex Saturn.

The G2 would be the equivalent of the Emperor you have now. I would not personally put Pinstripes on a Saturn. They sing too well to be that muffled. If you want a little more control go EC2 clear over G1 clear.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 PM

What do you think about G plus?
So, which ones? EC2 or Pinstripes?

Last edited by pajaczek; 10-06-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member

They're pretty similar really.

What don't you like about the emperors?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:04 PM

I have emperors for a few months and i think it's good time to change. My remo Emperors are Mapex Emperor, so i think they aren't as good as normal heads. I want to try diffrent ones.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajaczek View Post
I have emperors for a few months and i think it's good time to change. My remo Emperors are Mapex Emperor, so i think they aren't as good as normal heads. I want to try diffrent ones.
I just put "Vintage" clear emperors on my saturns and have to admit I love the sound of my saturns even more now. I just seem to have a little more controlled sound now with added low end, which is perfect IMO. The floor toms sound incredible!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think they're the cheaper remo's, I think they're the real deal, have read it on this forum more than once also.

I think the emperors will be nicer than ec2's/pinstripes personally. And I'd probably even go in the other direction and try ambassadors/G1's.

Can't hurt to try.. let us know how it goes.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

I bought a Saturn Manhattan kit last January to be used for Jazz. I love it!
I took the stock Emperor batter heads that came on the Saturn and I used them on my ddrum Rock kit.
I bought coated G1 heads for the Saturn.

The stock Remo heads are standard Remo USA Emp's and Amb's.
They just stamp a Mapex logo on them.
The Saturn kits are assembled and boxed in the USA.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 10-08-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:18 PM

I use Aquarian clear super-2 batters and Classic clear reso's on my toms and Coated snare batter with Classic clear snare reso. Bass drum has Super kick two batter and Full force reso.
And my Saturn's sure sound fine.
Paul
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

I've been using G2's on my Saturns for the most part. I like the EC2's as well, especially for the floors. I tend to tune mine a bit lower than most, these drums have tons of low end. I'd like to try the clear Vintage Emps as well, seems like they'd be between the G2's and EC2's.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

Pretty much anything sounds good on a Saturn, properly tuned. I like coated G2's but that may just be me. The stock emperors sounded fine too, as I'm sure would single ply heads. Pinstripes and the like are just unnecessary and would stiffle the natural tone of the drums in my opinion.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlit View Post
I've been using G2's on my Saturns for the most part. I like the EC2's as well, especially for the floors. I tend to tune mine a bit lower than most, these drums have tons of low end. I'd like to try the clear Vintage Emps as well, seems like they'd be between the G2's and EC2's.
I tried the ec2's on the saturns and IMO the vintage emperors have more low end than the ec2's. I like both heads but the vintage emperors are perfect IMO for the saturns and the style of music I play with one of my bands.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

I would never use a dampened head on my Saturns. (except the bass drum) I use the stock PS3 with a Fiberskyn thin out front. A felt strip under the reso.
The wonderful open sound of Saturn toms and snare should be heard.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:07 AM
nhzoso

I agree just about anything will sound good on them, I had the stock emperors which were ok but a little too boingy for me, than had G2's which were ok, and now have clear Pinstripes which I like alot. Of course I will probably try something different next head change but so far the Pinstripes have been the best I have tried.

Mostly comes down to the sound your looking for, if you like ringing toms than stick with the emp., I feel the Saturn toms ring a little too much for my tastes so a nice 2 ply semi dampened head (ie clear pinstripes) works well for me.

Of course tastes change as well so this could all change tomorrow : )
Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 AM

Thanks,
Hmm... I think I will buy EC2s, but i am still thinking about pinstripes. What about rezo heads? I have Mapex Remo ambassador now. They are almost new, but in few months i will be thinking about changing them. Which rezo drum heads will be the best for low tunning? I think about Evans EC Genera Resonant head, Evans G1 or Remo diplomat.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajaczek View Post
Thanks,
Hmm... I think I will buy EC2s, but i am still thinking about pinstripes. What about rezo heads? I have Mapex Remo ambassador now. They are almost new, but in few months i will be thinking about changing them. Which rezo drum heads will be the best for low tunning? I think about Evans EC Genera Resonant head, Evans G1 or Remo diplomat.
Honestly, I think you'll regret it. You'll end up killing the resonance of the the shell in a drum where it's just not necessary. Undamped heads are the way to go (Bass Drum exclued as per Bob's post). BD wise I have a remo powerstroke pro with nothing in the drum and a custom reso with my band logo and a central 6" hole. EC2's would be better than pinstripes, but still not necessary when tuned properly.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

General rule of thumb (my thumb, anyway) would be if you prefer 'open and ringy' or 'muffled and thuddy'. If you want a singing sound, put ambassadors top and bottom. Anything like double-plies, or built-in muffle rings will bring you into the 'muffled and thuddy' territory. It's a gamble, but you really just have to experiment and buy the heads you think are going to work, and either, make them work and like the sound, or invest more money to try something else until you stumble upon the sound you're searching for. Those Mapex drums should sound good with any type of heads, so it's just a matter of you finding something you like.

For the longest time I just played coated Ambassadors (with a Powerstroke 3 on the bass drum) simply because I was changing my heads about once a month and I could get any sound I wanted out of these heads. I want maximum resonance, and it's easier to get the dull and thuddy sound from these heads rather than try to get a nice open, ringy sound from thick double-ply heads.