DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Default 2Box.

I need an electronic kit for quiet practice and the 2Box has had some great reviews. Anyone had experience with these kits??

I was wondering how quiet the pads, including the bass drum and cymbals, are?

Any help would be appreciated as real world experience is always different to playing it in a shop.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2Box.

I've got a 2box kit.

The mesh pads are very quiet however they don't really offer the right feel, so you should upgrade from single ply to double ply (which I plan to do eventually) and that will make them a bit louder but it would be worth it. You can use real heads but they're pretty loud unfortunately. Obviously the cymbals are louder than the mesh heads, not much you can do about that.

As for the unit, I think it's the best one out there. I tried the yamahas and rolands.

My only complaint is the bass drum design, which is fine until you get into some heavy double bass, things get a bit shaky.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:21 AM
Platinum Member

You said you need it for quiet practice, and you didn't say you didn't have any room. So my question would be, why does it have to be an electronic kit? Is it just for your practicing or did you want to be able to record yourselves too?

What I've done in the past is get a Sonor Safari kit, and then I outfitted it with mesh heads. I then put some neoprene cymbal mufflers on the cymbals and had a instant practice kit! And it felt better than an eKit and I was able to practice playing a set of drums. Yes, the cymbals won't feel right, but neither do electric cymbals too. Total investment was under $500 (I got another set of cheap hardware so my gigging kit was always packed and ready to leave the house). What's your budget for an eKit? And again, do you really need it?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
You said you need it for quiet practice, and you didn't say you didn't have any room. So my question would be, why does it have to be an electronic kit? Is it just for your practicing or did you want to be able to record yourselves too?

What I've done in the past is get a Sonor Safari kit, and then I outfitted it with mesh heads. I then put some neoprene cymbal mufflers on the cymbals and had a instant practice kit! And it felt better than an eKit and I was able to practice playing a set of drums. Yes, the cymbals won't feel right, but neither do electric cymbals too. Total investment was under $500 (I got another set of cheap hardware so my gigging kit was always packed and ready to leave the house). What's your budget for an eKit? And again, do you really need it?

Good call Bo. I didn't think of that. Depends how cheap I could get another kit I suppose.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:32 PM

We did a proper review in digitalDrummer - not a puff piece.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM

2Box may be a bit of an overkill for "quiet practice".

You could probably save a grand or two easy by going a lower end Yamaha or Roland if all you are going to do is "quiet practice".

2Box can definitely do what you want and is definitely a good module.

Its a little like buying a BMW for a commuter vehicle versus something that would do the same thing for 1/3 the price.

With that being said, as far as "quiet" goes, I think Yamaha cymbals, at least on paper, have that title. With that being said, the others are really only a few points behind.

Your main noise is going to come from the floor. There are pad-less alternatives however. Yamaha just released one too.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

You should also be sure of what you can get away with. I thought long and hard about how noisy my e kit was going to be and what i could do to soundproof cheaply but it turned out no one cared anyway.

I agree about getting cheap kit though.. I don't know if I would be happy with a dtxplorer but I now practice on a rubber pad, so I could have saved a bundle if I wasn't chasing something that felt 'real'.

I don't regret my 2box though, and I'm happy to see people posting about it. As said, the module, the sounds and the way it responds is head and shoulders above anything else, and the only thing that feels better physically is a td20/td30, which is loads more $$$ (at least in Aus).
Old 09-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoak View Post
With that being said, as far as "quiet" goes, I think Yamaha cymbals, at least on paper, have that title. With that being said, the others are really only a few points behind.
If noise is an issue, then yes of the big two (roland and yamaha) the yamaha cymbals are a touch quieter..not by much though..and you will still hear the incessant tap on plastic with either..

..also, as far as snare/tom pads go, the yamaha TCS pads are probably the quietest, but not their current top of the line kick pad(s) KP125W..the equivalent roland kick pad is quieter...

...I have no direct experience with the 2box kit other than watching youtube vids and hearing from some owners on how much they like the kit..it certainly looks, at least on paper, to be quite nice...lots of memory (for kits) and I beleive it has the ability to upload new samples, which is definitely a plus...if you live in an area that sells/supports it, I would certainly look at it as well...
Old 10-06-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I need an electronic kit for quiet practice and the 2Box has had some great reviews. Anyone had experience with these kits??

I was wondering how quiet the pads, including the bass drum and cymbals, are?

Any help would be appreciated as real world experience is always different to playing it in a shop.
The 2Box kits are very quiet and similar to any other mesh head kit. The cymbals are covered in a soft and quiet rubber surface and are extremely responsive. Yes the reviews are very accurate. The 2Box module is hands down the best sounding one on the market with the ability to upload any sample you want. It's a very open system and easy to use.