DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Lost my Dad. Funeral was the saddest day of my life. 15 minutes after seeing my Dad dead for the very first time, I had to greet every person I ever knew it seemed. Man that was overwhelming. My facial recognition software in my head crashed and I was a total mess, but somehow got through it. 5 days prior, I was the last one to see him alive. He was on morphine, and unconscious, but he could still hear and understand me, so they say. I knew this was the last time I would see him alive, so I said my goodbyes. I told him he did real good here, he left a lot of great people, and that we would be OK. I kept telling him how good he did. He needed to hear that. He was a good and decent man. I told him it's time to finish his job here and cross over. When I said that he flinched. 10 hours later, he crossed over.

Gave me a mega ton of appreciation for everyone who I still have. Circle of life. Hug your kids today for me.
I'm so sorry for your loss.My dad passed about 6 years ago doing what he loved and that was playing the horses at Aqueduct raceway.We had our differences,and I hadn't seen him since my moms funeral two years before.

Be thankful that you got to say goodbye,and feel blessed that you had that kind of relationship.Not having seen him for so long is the biggest regret of my life.

I do tell my kids(the youngest of which is 32) almost every day,so there is no doubt in their mind that dad loves them.

The lesson here is if you burned your bridges,build them again and make your peace with those you really do love.Put your pride aside and do it before it's too late.If you don't,it leaves you with a feeling that you can never reconcile.

Again Larry I'm sorry for your loss,but I'm also happy that he's no longer in pain.Namaste.

Steve B
Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Thanks you guys, it means a lot. It really drained me emotionally. I am forever grateful for him. I didn't have a whole lot of juice at last nights gig.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Condolences my friend.

What a touching farewell.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:45 AM
Gold Member

We are pattern...not the stuff of the pattern.

In an infinite universe churning aggresivly, all patterns must re-occur infinite times...with infinite variation.

Larry, in an infinite number of those re-occurances, he's smiling his ass off in sheer joy.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Lost my Dad. Funeral was the saddest day of my life. 15 minutes after seeing my Dad dead for the very first time, I had to greet every person I ever knew it seemed. Man that was overwhelming. My facial recognition software in my head crashed and I was a total mess, but somehow got through it. 5 days prior, I was the last one to see him alive. He was on morphine, and unconscious, but he could still hear and understand me, so they say. I knew this was the last time I would see him alive, so I said my goodbyes. I told him he did real good here, he left a lot of great people, and that we would be OK. I kept telling him how good he did. He needed to hear that. He was a good and decent man. I told him it's time to finish his job here and cross over. When I said that he flinched. 10 hours later, he crossed over.

Gave me a mega ton of appreciation for everyone who I still have. Circle of life. Hug your kids today for me.
My condolences, Larry. Glad you were able to say goodbye and " let him go", its something I never got a chance to do with my own father. I'm sure the coming days and weeks will be difficult...we're here if you need someone to listen :). Take care.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I went thru this with my sister a few years ago and it does make you see things differently. People close to you become closer and different things become more important. Blessings to you and all of your family and friends.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

My condolences Larry.

I was fortunate to be with my mum when she died in my arms, I was also able to say goodbye properly as I stay by her bedside all night before she passed away. I'm grateful I was able to do this (living abroad in a different country), it has made a difference on the mourning process.

Take great care Larry, and as Mary said, if you want to talk... we're here.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:28 PM
"Uncle Larry"

You guys are the best, Mary, John, Henri, thank you. It hits me when I am alone and driving. Lotsa tears going down the road to my gigs and my jobs. I feel fortunate to have been able to be the one to see him off. I don't know where those words came from, but I am so grateful they came.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
My condolences Larry.

I was fortunate to be with my mum when she died in my arms, I was also able to say goodbye properly as I stay by her bedside all night before she passed away. I'm grateful I was able to do this (living abroad in a different country), it has made a difference on the mourning process.

Take great care Larry, and as Mary said, if you want to talk... we're here.
Yep..we're here for ya big guy.Its takes time,but it gets better every day..:)

Steve B
Old 09-30-2012, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You guys are the best, Mary, John, Henri, thank you. It hits me when I am alone and driving. Lotsa tears going down the road to my gigs and my jobs. I feel fortunate to have been able to be the one to see him off. I don't know where those words came from, but I am so grateful they came.
Condolences, Larry. You're lucky to see him off. Some of us are not so fortunate. The world has one less good guy in it. Bummer.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:24 AM
Platinum Member

I've just finished playing with some guys who came to my little studio to play blues. I'm already a bit sore. The bass player had about the worst time I've ever heard. I told him that this is blues music, just give me the quarter note, but he was into his own thing, kept checking his phone.

Anyway, I had a blast playing my drums after almost two years! I'm already a bit sore, and I know I'll be feeling pretty stiff tomorrow, but to play, man, just to play. My drums sounded great, they're such good drums, and I was floating on air, man, playing music on drums again!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Platinum Member

Tigers clinch the Division, going to the playoffs in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 1934/1935! GO TIGERS!!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:54 AM
Renegade

Just came back from the pool - first time I've gone swimming for a few years. Prices are up - $7 admission and $2 ph for a locker (I imagine it's half that in the US).

So I'm in the change room and there's a sign saying "... must be properly attired in the centre at all times". I'm thinking, this change room is in the centre, isn't it? Does that mean you can't undress in the change room?? In which case, how do you get changed???

I've been watching too many George Carlin clips.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I kept telling him how good he did. He needed to hear that.
Larry, I feel terrible. I'm so caught up in my obsessive state right now, that I completely missed your post about your father's passing. I'm sorry for that, remiss of me.

The quote above tells me you're a good man, a good son. It told your father that too, and would certainly have provided him with a comfort so precious that it cannot be eclipsed. Beyond that, I cannot offer you any respite from the pain of your grief, other than the knowledge your father felt true love at that moment. Somewhat absurd that a highlight of life often comes in your last moments, but that doesn't detract from just how special that moment is.

Beyond that, I sincerely send you a hug through cyberspace, although that's a hollow vehicle to use. When we eventually meet, the most I can do is to make you laugh, & promote a momentary distraction from deeper thoughts. Until then, try to pick up on the reply your father would have given you if he were able. He did reply Larry, It's just a question of "hearing" his message in a different way.

My fondest thoughts to you my friend,

Andy.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

To get a poached egg right, is impossible.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Renegade

And if you don't get it right it may be left ...

Andy. I missed Larry's post for days too. Tough year for old dads, so it seems ...
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

To get a poached egg right, is impossible.

You have to get the temp.just right,and use a little vinegar,and go very slow.:)

Steve B
Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
You have to get the temp.just right,and use a little vinegar,and go very slow.:)

Steve B
gotta try this, thanks..

Grea, are you mocking lefties?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Of course, Abe. Apart from euthanasia, abortion, drugs, gender equality, sexuality equality, war, environment, reducing the insane destabilising wage gap, infrastructure spending, helping those less fortunate, and planning for the future rather than blowing today's bread and screw future generations I am very right wing!

Who is John Galt?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
gotta try this, thanks..

I wouldn't dare Abe. From my very un - scientific standpoint, having been exposed to multiple lefties over the years, on average, they're typically much better players than us commoners ;)

Now there's a pissing contest of a thread idea right there, or should it be left there? Damn this PC monodexterousism!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I wouldn't dare Abe. From my very un - scientific standpoint, having been exposed to multiple lefties over the years, on average, they're typically much better players than us commoners ;)

Now there's a pissing contest of a thread idea right there, or should it be left there? Damn this PC monodexterousism!
Lefthanded people are the only ones in their right mind...just ask Ringo.

Hows that for throwing down the gauntlet?Did I hear something about a contest?:)

Steve B
Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
gotta try this, thanks..

It's hard to master,but the water has to just bubble and not boil.Use a couple teaspoons of white vinegar,and take a large spoon,and use just a little butter or oil on the spoon.Crack the egg into the spoon.Gently place the egg into the water,and let the egg set up ever so slightly and turn your wrist while setting the egg into the water slowly.Viola'.:)

Steve B
Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Administrator

the only reason for left handed people is to have something to compare the proper handed people to.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

When I was in first grade in St.Bridgets Catholic school,we had Sisters of Mercy( not a fitting name I can tell you) as teachers.I'm left handed so my first grade teacher used to smack me across my left hand with a stainless steel ruler when I tried to write anything.She told me I was a child of the devil.That'll ruin your day I can tell you.

My grandfather the crazy German(also left handed),went up to school and straightened out that nun.I wish I could have been a fly on THAT wall.:)

Steve B
Old 10-06-2012, 01:45 AM

that's a drag.

Lefties are the coolest people on the planet. along with Alabamans and Texans.

i've never met a Leftie that wasn't totally cool.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
When I was in first grade in St.Bridgets Catholic school,we had Sisters of Mercy( not a fitting name I can tell you) as teachers.I'm left handed so my first grade teacher used to smack me across my left hand with a stainless steel ruler when I tried to write anything.She told me I was a child of the devil.That'll ruin your day I can tell you.

My grandfather the crazy German(also left handed),went up to school and straightened out that nun.I wish I could have been a fly on THAT wall.:)

Steve B
That is terrible. where in the world would she get that idea. I'm sure that is not of the Catholic teaching. I hope you have adjusted well in life.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

THE INFIELD FLY RULE?!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member

So that's it for this season.

Goodbye, Chipper Jones.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrangefunk View Post
Lefties are the coolest people on the planet. along with............Texans.
Hats and belt buckles that big are never cool. :-)
Old 10-06-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks you guys, it means a lot. It really drained me emotionally. I am forever grateful for him. I didn't have a whole lot of juice at last nights gig.
Sorry For Your Loss Larry.

You're A Good Son.

You Had Just The Right Words.

Blessings To Your The Family.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Hats and belt buckles that big are never cool. :-)
: )

the hats and belt buckles are actually Mexican. when the settlers came to Texas, the Mexican inhabitants had already figured it out...what to do, and what to wear in order to be what we now refer to as a "cowboy". the settlers adopted the garb, as it made sense for the environment and work load at hand.

that said, also, not all Texans are ranchers nor are all into country music.

i've never been to Texas, but the one's i've met dress like we do here. some like hip hop. some like pop. some like metal and dress like you'd expect one to in order to represent their way of life.

sorry to be so heavy. : ) i can dig it. i recently saw a Scottish band and was surprised no one in the band was named Colin.

i like their warmth and southern charm and kindness and sharp turn of phrase that always hits the nail on the head with humour to boot.

i was ordering some equipment once on the phone and i asked the operator about her area (i dig geography and sociology). i don't remember where she was, but noticing that i'm in North Carolina, the operator said that she liked talking to southerners as we are so polite....always saying yes ma'am and no ma'am, etc.

with a smile in my voice, i replied "Yes, Ma'am", in agreement.

mind you, i'm not going to Alabama to find a wife...but if one escapes....

i'd like to go to Texas though to see what's in the water that makes them so cool. not staying too long though, because i know how they vote.

Last edited by drstrangefunk; 10-06-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:58 AM
Renegade

Quote:
When I was in first grade in St.Bridgets Catholic school,we had Sisters of Mercy( not a fitting name I can tell you) as teachers.I'm left handed so my first grade teacher used to smack me across my left hand with a stainless steel ruler when I tried to write anything.She told me I was a child of the devil.
I'm amazed, Steve! I didn't know that sort of thing was still happening just ten years ago! *smile smile*
(may I borrow fifty bucks please?)

Seriously, that seems very old world. My Mum's school nuns were sadistic, bitter (probably plain and rejected) women too. But Mum was born in the 1920s ... your school days seem to be very olde worlde lol
Old 10-06-2012, 04:01 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrangefunk View Post
i recently saw a Scottish band and was surprised no one in the band was named Colin.
Our keys player is a Scot. Guess what his name is?
Old 10-06-2012, 04:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
THE INFIELD FLY RULE?!
Brutal. Sorry to see your team go down like that.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Brutal. Sorry to see your team go down like that.
Thanks, 8Mile. I can't defend what the fans did, but man!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:27 AM

Poor greenbay...... Nobody watches football? Ok then let's go red sox xD
Old 10-06-2012, 05:41 AM
Administrator

It should be renamed the Infielder Fly rule. Since the rule is dependent upon the infielders ability to catch the ball
Old 10-06-2012, 05:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
It should be renamed the Infielder Fly rule. Since the rule is dependent upon the infielders ability to catch the ball
It should be thrown out altogether. It was a fair ball in fair territory, and the bases should have been loaded with one out.

A bloody travesty.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

It occurs to me that one of the perks of getting to be my age is being able to get a prescription for Xanax.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

The word is that the backline kit is awful. Struggling with what all I should carry with me..