DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Default ANALOG DRUM EFFECTS

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and not sure if this is the correct location for this thread.

But! I am interested in making analog drum effects for drummers (I am a bass player).

The idea is rackmount effects next to a drummer with split mic leads from the drum kits into their effects, then out. The effects to be used could vary from distortion to reverb, to whatever whacky ideas people could have.

This idea is obviously not to all drummers tastes, but it is just another tool for a musician in creating the sound appropriate for the music.

Some questions:

What would you look for in such a product specifically?

Less knobs with greater effect or more knobs for fine tweaking?

Drum hit strength implying strength of effect added?

Custom tailored effects, or standard select-able options?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Mikael

EDIT, ANALOGUE, WHOOPSIE

Last edited by Mikaelbass; 10-02-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: ANALOG DRUM EFFECTS

Effects are normally handled by the FOH person, not the drummer, at least in pro situations. And without knowing what those effects sound like out front, it would be dangerous to ask the drummer to apply them anyway.

In a personal recording situation, effects would probably likely be handled as plug-ins.

But, I do have a suggestion in designing electronics for drummers: keep it simple, yet powerful. Drummers (and acoustic string and horn players) are the last to actively employ electronics and processing, unlike guitar and keyboard players who are familiar with fx boxes, modeling, plug-ins, etc. and use them almost constantly.

You've got to dumb it down a little, or drummers will avoid the equipment just as they probably do now. But it's not a bad idea, it just needs to be geared to drummers and their general lack of experience with outboard gear. Remember that the appeal will be to those drummers who already mic their drums, and don't have someone else handling their sound. It's a small market.

That said, I think the most useful effects would be echo, reverb, gates, pitch shifting, EQ... (I'm sure I'm missing something, as I don't handle those when I perform or record.)

Bermuda